What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

18 minutes ago, bolverk said:

You have every right to that opinion, but like @gsoda3 said, this was Interim City Manager Jesus Garza's decision, not District Attorney Jose Garza's.

I was addressing the quote from Jose Garza, who has no moral ground to stand on.  Fuckstain wants to call Art out for letting rapists off the hook, all the while he lets sexual predators, rapists, and murders walk out of jail on reduced or $0 bonds.  

But my overall point is elected officials set this shit-show in motion by electing people like Watson and the city council.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I've definitely been disappointed with his leadership this time around.

Same camp. Nothing seems to have changed. Not sure what I expected, but more than we've got. And then I remember who the alternative was and who his predecessor was. 

29 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I was addressing the quote from Jose Garza, who has no moral ground to stand on.  Fuckstain wants to call Art out for letting rapists off the hook, all the while he lets sexual predators, rapists, and murders walk out of jail on reduced or $0 bonds.  

But my overall point is elected officials set this shit-show in motion by electing people like Watson and the city council.

this needs to be plastered on every billboard in austin.

44 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I actually did listen to her talk show a couple of times to hear what that dingbat had to say, and she was definitely showing her stripes but won't go further because that's a CR topic.

Look, I was a Watson supporter, but the fact that Jesus Garza was the treasurer of a PAC that donated $720,000 to Watson's campaign up until ONE DAY before he was appointed is fucked up. Watson led that decision, and the Council simply followed his lead.

AUSTIN, Texas — On Wednesday, the Austin City Council fired City Manager Spencer Cronk and introduced former city manager Jesús Garza as the interim city manger.

Garza and Austin Mayor Kirk Watson have a long-standing relationship. Garza was the city manager from 1994 until 2002 while Watson was the mayor from 1997 to 2001.

Garza was the treasurer of a political committee that donated to Watson's recent mayoral campaign. Stand Together Austin made at least four donations, totaling over $720,000. According to campaign finance documents, just Tuesday, Garza stepped down from his role in that PAC.

KVUE asked Watson why he chose Garza over the current assistant city managers.

In a statement he wrote: "There aren't a lot of people with the experience and ability to run such a big and complicated operation as the City of Austin. There are even fewer people who are available on a week's notice and willing to take on such a daunting task."

Cronk was a waste of oxygen and needed to go.  I'm not familiar enough with the assistant city managers, but if they were hired by Cronk or were in line with his way of handling things, I support not hiring one of them.  However, bringing Garza back was clearly some tit for tat, and his reasoning that Garza knows how to run the city because he did it from '94-2002 is hilarious.  This isn't even remotely the same city as it was in that era.  It's the same flawed argument that got Watson reelected.  Garza is ill-equipped, and Watson has been a huge disappointment.  In my opinion, making up a know-nothing job and giving it to Art Vandelay is nothing short of corruption.  This city will never have decent leadership because we don't want it.  We're getting exactly what we deserve, and will follow a long tradition of big American cities who continue to elect corrupt pieces of shit to run the show.  The fascinating part is how little these people bother to hide what they're doing anymore.  There is almost no press to hold them accountable, so why bother?

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, texasdago said:

By the way, I'm talking South MoPac, where it is 65, not North mopac near Dallas where it is 75.  

Went to a Longhorn basketball game this past week and I swear a Rivian came up to me at about 90 but then it looked like he and another car were road raging.

I'm judging you as a Tesla driver. Or wasn't your mom driving?

North San Antonio drivers are shit

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

I've definitely been disappointed with his leadership this time around.

My surmise is that Watson really just has one mission: keeping Austin out of the legislature's crosshairs.  He had decent success with that this past session.  But I fear that's really his only mission.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Watson went total politico on his way out the last time.  The man is worthless.

This is the best part.  The bulk of Austin voters can remember the last few days and that's about it.  All the new residents don't recall the previous dumpster fires (see: Romeo Rose and Fitlove), so if you don't win this time around, just wait a cycle or two and try your schtick again.

But, in Watson's defense, it was literally the race of the turd sandwich vs the douchebag.

42 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

This is the best part.  The bulk of Austin voters can remember the last few days and that's about it.  All the new residents don't recall the previous dumpster fires (see: Romeo Rose and Fitlove), so if you don't win this time around, just wait a cycle or two and try your schtick again.

But, in Watson's defense, it was literally the race of the turd sandwich vs the douchebag.

Not sure which was which

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My surmise is that Watson really just has one mission: keeping Austin out of the legislature's crosshairs.  He had decent success with that this past session.  But I fear that's really his only mission.

watson has just one real mission: be Austin's old white father. i am serious. that's it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

He was discovered because, while not actually being a cop, he was doing actual police work. Dead giveaway that he wasn't with APD. 

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/police-officer-impersonator-sean-mcdonald-austin-texas

He only got caught, because he was in the top 3 of citations issued, and was making the rest of the department look bad.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Austin is getting exactly what it asks for.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I say this as a resident. My kids will be destroyed if we move, but damn if I don't think about it every time some stupid shit like this happens.

i did that 22 years ago.  austin had the derps then, and continues to out derp itself every year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Demark and Breck have one, why not Austin? Instagram worthy pics coming to Pease Park.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/giant-thomas-dambo-troll-austin-pease-park/

giant-troll-pease-park-austin-1.jpg?auto

These days, Texans are more likely to encounter trolls on the internet (or at the Capitol) than in a forest or under a bridge. But starting this March, they’ll have a chance to meet the oversized, folkloric kind in Austin’s Pease Park.

Since 2013, Danish artist Thomas Dambo has turned discarded pallets, scrap lumber, and twigs into more than 120 enormous wooden trolls that lurk in parks around the globe. Actually, “lurk” isn’t the best word—these giants are the gentle sort, with friendly faces and Scandinavian charm that have earned them a cult following. The Austin sculpture is Dambo’s first Texas troll, and it’ll occupy a wooded alcove in Pease Park, just northwest of downtown.

The troll will occupy a secluded spot north of the Kingsbury Commons section of the 84-acre public green space. The conservancy worked with city officials to make sure the sculpture, which will remain at the site for at least fifteen years, will have minimal environmental impact. “It’s in a part of the park that gets a lot of use already,” Netherton said.

Funding for the project, which is expected to cost about $350,000, comes solely from private donors. Among them are philanthropists and longtime Austin residents Lynne Dobson and Greg Wooldridge, whose Tejemos Foundation helped pay for a popular tree house at Pease Park. Dobson and Wooldridge proposed bringing a troll to Austin after seeing five of Dambo’s creations at the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay, Maine, in August 2022. “I went, ‘Okay, this has to be at Pease,’ ” Dobson said. “This troll has Austin’s personality and playfulness, and we need whimsy and delight in our lives right now.” Approval to build the sculpture came after an extensive community engagement and review process with the city.

But not everyone appreciates Dambo’s trolls, or the crowds they draw. In 2018, a fifteen-foot Dambo troll named Isak Heartstone, built in Breckenridge, Colorado, created a stir when visitors began streaming into the area to snap pictures with the art. Locals complained about traffic and trash. The troll was eventually dismantled (the photos of his decapitation aren’t for the faint of heart) and, happily, reassembled at a permanent home on a trail near the town’s welcome center.

Before approving the Austin project, the conservancy gathered public input from around 1,500 survey respondents. About 85 percent of the feedback was supportive, but a few folks argued that Austin is no place for a Nordic troll. “Shoal Creek is not troll habitat,” read one comment on the conservancy’s Facebook page. “Texas has no cultural tradition of trolls. It makes no sense to plop a troll into Pease Park,” wrote another skeptic, adding that “Pease Park is not a Danish forest.” Others argued that money used to fly Dambo to Austin could be better spent to support local artists struggling to afford the city’s high cost of living.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Before approving the Austin project, the conservancy gathered public input from around 1,500 survey respondents. About 85 percent of the feedback was supportive, but a few folks argued that Austin is no place for a Nordic troll. “Shoal Creek is not troll habitat,” read one comment on the conservancy’s Facebook page. “Texas has no cultural tradition of trolls. It makes no sense to plop a troll into Pease Park,” wrote another skeptic, adding that “Pease Park is not a Danish forest.”

LOL

"Austin is no place for a frog that has tall protruding eyes and goes by the name of Jeremiah," said a concerned Tarrytown resident, noting, "Jesus didn't create any talking frogs!"

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Rape victims not too pleased about Acevedo’s hiring….

https://www.kxan.com

When are the women going to march on City Hall to protest while the City of Austin continues with its tone deaf policies.

They were raped during the Obama era, why didn't they blame him?  It's just a BS argument to blame the Chief because of some inept departments so far downstream.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no Art fan, but for other reasons he was more directly involved in.  Dude spent more time trying to whore his way on camera than actually doing his job.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

They were raped during the Obama era, why didn't they blame him?  It's just a BS argument to blame the Chief because of some inept departments so far downstream.  Don't get me wrong, I'm no Art fan, but for other reasons he was more directly involved in.  Dude spent more time trying to whore his way on camera than actually doing his job.

And that’s probably why the forensics lab wasn’t subject to any oversight & accountability from the chief.

• Hook 'Em 5

17 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

There is a structural problem that falls completely on the Chief when those "downstream" departments are utter failures.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

WTF is right with you, Austin?

Art Acevedo withdraws from $271K Austin City Hall administrative position after backlash

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2024/01/23/art-acevedo-withdraws-austin-assistant-city-manager-position-miami-police-chief/72316302007/

Hello and….

7C6ED1BB-57D0-4B4F-ABD6-0B3645B539F7.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow. What a shitshow! The Interim City Manager couldn't see what a horrific idea this was. How fucking out of touch can he be? Or rather, how bad is our relationship with APD that he thought hiring Art to negotiate the new APD deal would be a good thing? And now he's allowing Art to turn down the job to save Art the embarrassment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2024 at 2:53 PM, PvilleStang said:

Yea I really didn't feel a Hispanic lesbian would represent my interests.

Had a tripping shirtless homeless dude jump in the back of my truck after shoulder checking my mirror while I pulled past him at 6th and 35 this afternoon. He used the time to try to negotiate something that I was not able to discern. That was a fun experience on the commute home. 

2 minutes ago, drt said:

Had a tripping shirtless homeless dude jump in the back of my truck after shoulder checking my mirror while I pulled past him at 6th and 35 this afternoon. He used the time to try to negotiate something that I was not able to discern. That was a fun experience on the commute home. 

Sorry for Busketing?  

Just pull around to police HQ and start laying on the horn.

Just now, Modessit said:
13 minutes ago, drt said:

Just pull around to police HQ and start laying on the horn.

That's a good way for the driver to get shot and the homeless dude gets an apology from the city for having to go through the trauma.

• Hook 'Em 4

Unless this is a parody, this is a pathetic opinion.

Let’s break it down:

1) Start off with a huge leap off False Comp Mountain. Reminds me of the Otter Defense.
2) Describing the Crime Lab as a “department” “far downstream” is also a massive departure from norms. Perhaps this is our cue to know that you’re joking. Because when the average person watches a police procedural on tv, analyzing semen is like 1/4 of each show.
3) Putting violent offenders who shoot off semen into or onto unwilling and/or dead victims behind bars seems like a big deal and probably should be something a Chief should be on top of.

Saw the news interviews of survivor groups dismay with Art and they expressed concerns of his seriousness with solving the crime lab issues and lodged an accusation that he retaliated against those critical of the crime lab issues.

My conclusion is that you were either joking or you’re a “I like rape” twice kind of guy.
  • Hook 'Em 3