What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's just the city council two step.  they do it all the time to ensure elite white folks are the only voters who know what's at stake

Sure, that's how they win the elections/propositions.  It doesn't mean they're going to throw away ballots.

Looks like we do have an arsonist…hmmm

“A prominent Austin businessman and founder of Continental Automotive Group, or CAG, was arrested Thursday on charges of Felony Arson and a State Jail Felony offense of Burglary.

Dorsey Bryan Hardeman, 75, is accused of starting a fire at a downtown Austin building on Sunday, according to an arrest affidavit.”

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/prominent-local-businessman-arrested-in-austin-accused-of-arson/

Not sure I totally get the motive but whatever what a dildo. 

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

“A prominent Austin businessman and founder of Continental Automotive Group, or CAG, was arrested Thursday on charges of Felony Arson and a State Jail Felony offense of Burglary.

Dorsey Bryan Hardeman, 75, is accused of starting a fire at a downtown Austin building on Sunday, according to an arrest affidavit.”

https://www.kxan.com/investigations/prominent-local-businessman-arrested-in-austin-accused-of-arson/

you are dumb for real GIF

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, texasdago said:

you are dumb for real GIF

Context:

Multiple cameras inside the building show a man pouring liquid from the red container and dropping multiple matches on the ground, the affidavit said.

Records show the man arrived at the location in a white 4-door Mercedez SUV.

Investigators interviewed the owner of Mellow Johnny’s Bike Shop who told AFD Hardeman was the owner of the property next door and had previously asked about purchasing the property at 400 Nueces St.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

He just figured it was better to burn out than to fade away. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2024 at 6:18 AM, PvilleStang said:

This is my EXACT argument against the YIMBY clowns.  Trains are the answer for mass transit.. Bull shit, you're not taking cars off the road, you're just changing the destination and adding time onto someone's commute.  Might be saving some fuel for the commuters, I agree.  But it's the equivalent of kicking out the mobile homes of a nice neighborhood.  They're not getting rid of the problem, they're just moving the issue out of sight.

And can't forget: the train stops traffic when it crosses roads, too, leading to vehicles idling while waiting 2 minutes for the 10 second crossing.

This is a pretty abysmal take, in my opinion. When public transit is done well (and to be clear, I'm not saying it's done well in Austin), people will use it instead of driving. For example, I used to drive almost everywhere when I lived in the Houston area. After I moved to the Bay Area, I walk, bike, or use public transportation for 95% of my trips, and only use my car when going to the beach/mountains/camping/etc. with friends.

If you are someone who loves driving, it is in your best interests to have well-designed public transit. It means there will be fewer cars on the road and you'll be stuck in less traffic, which saves you time. And, it means people like me can save money and be healthier by walking, biking, and taking public transit instead of driving. In fact, for trips that are <2 miles, biking is usually faster than driving for me here, making it kinetically favorable.

Right now, we are stuck in the high energy transition state between two energy minima, which is what results in these non-idealities. But if Austin commits to doing this right (and in a cost-effective way) I think it'll be very good for the city in the long run.

Edited by onsager
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, onsager said:

This is a pretty abysmal take, in my opinion. When public transit is done well (and to be clear, I'm not saying it's done well in Austin), people will use it instead of driving. For example, I used to drive almost everywhere when I lived in the Houston area. After I moved to the Bay Area, I walk, bike, or use public transportation for 95% of my trips, and only use my car when going to the beach/mountains/camping/etc. with friends.

If you are someone who loves driving, it is in your best interests to have well-designed public transit. It means there will be fewer cars on the road and you'll be stuck in less traffic. And, it means people like me can save money and be healthier by walking, biking, and taking public transit instead of biking.

Right now, we are stuck in the high energy transition state between two energy minima, which is what results in these non-idealities. But if Austin commits to doing this right (and in a cost-effective way) I think it'll be very good for the city in the long run.

close-door-the-office(1).gif.29047afd43ceaf8c69927d71083b0af8.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, onsager said:

If you are someone who loves driving, it is in your best interests to have well-designed public transit. It means there will be fewer cars on the road and you'll be stuck in less traffic, which saves you time. And, it means people like me can save money and be healthier by walking, biking, and taking public transit instead of driving. In fact, for trips that are <2 miles, biking is usually faster than driving for me here, making it kinetically favorable.

Seriously who is this guy and this rando dickhead @Grande Mart that repped him. 

How many accounts you running, bud?

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)

Have you biked or run, or walked or even gone outside in Austin in August, vs the Bay Area?   If there’s a paying market for sous vide long pork then yeah, it might be good for the city.  Otherwise it’s hell on EMS having to haul stinking carcasses off the sidewalk.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

If you are someone who loves driving, it is in your best interests to have well-designed public transit. It means there will be fewer cars on the road and you'll be stuck in less traffic, which saves you time. And, it means people like me can save money and be healthier by walking, biking, and taking public transit instead of driving. In fact, for trips that are Right now, we are stuck in the high energy transition state between two energy minima, which is what results in these non-idealities. But if Austin commits to doing this right (and in a cost-effective way) I think it'll be very good for the city in the long run.
Oh spare me. BART is terrible unless you're in the city and even then it pales in comparison to Tokyo, London, Paris, HK and NYC. None of those cities are relevant to Austin's situation.
  • Hook 'Em 8

37 minutes ago, Orange&amp;White said:

This smells like pasken or whatever the fuck his name was.

It's complete utopian bullshit fed to transportation and planning student when they are freshmen, that does not account for years and decades of grift, corruption and just plain stupidity that are involved in public transit projects.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:
2 hours ago, onsager said:
If you are someone who loves driving, it is in your best interests to have well-designed public transit. It means there will be fewer cars on the road and you'll be stuck in less traffic, which saves you time. And, it means people like me can save money and be healthier by walking, biking, and taking public transit instead of driving. In fact, for trips that are Right now, we are stuck in the high energy transition state between two energy minima, which is what results in these non-idealities. But if Austin commits to doing this right (and in a cost-effective way) I think it'll be very good for the city in the long run.

Oh spare me. BART is terrible unless you're in the city and even then it pales in comparison to Tokyo, London, Paris, HK and NYC. None of those cities are relevant to Austin's situation.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Have you biked or run, or walked or even gone outside in Austin in August, vs the Bay Area?   If there’s a paying market for sous vide long pork then yeah, it might be good for the city.  Otherwise it’s hell on EMS having to haul stinking carcasses off the sidewalk.  

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Seriously who is this guy and this rando dickhead @Grande Mart that repped him. 

How many accounts you running, bud?

Y'all are entitled to y'all's opinion and I'm entitled to mine - that's the beauty of living in a country like America. I think there's probably nothing y'all could say to change my mind, just as there's probably nothing I could say to change y'all's. Let's agree to disagree.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

Posted (edited)

Y'all are entitled to y'all's opinion and I'm entitled to mine - that's the beauty of living in a country like America. I think there's probably nothing y'all could say to change my mind, just as there's probably nothing I could say to change y'all's. Let's agree to disagree.

Nvm

Edited by ztejas

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure it's AI. Which was my instinct. This sounds totally like AI writing and yet the dipshits in the recruiting thread repped it 6 times. Including ctj. 

Like closetojumping said, NIL is not as big of a part of the allure of coming to Stanford as opposed to other programs (e.g., Texas A&M). However, organizations like Lifetime Cardinal have started to pick up steam and there's an extremely wealthy core of alumni that are dedicated to making sure that Stanford Athletics exists and is good. It's slowly starting to make a difference from what I have heard.

I think Stanford fans are hopeful about football though. (I think the men's basketball coach should be fired, so I don't feel particularly hopeful about that.) Taylor seems to be a decent coach and there is a good amount of excitement among alumni/fans/donors about him. I think Stanford's most recent recruiting class is actually quite solid considering the (abysmal) state the team was left in after David Shaw resigned (almost all of the starters transferred) and the rebuild will just take time. Although the admissions hurdles are not ideal, I am bullish on Stanford football eventually returning to its heyday (consistent top 25 program with flashes of brilliance).

Explains the multiple accounts, too. Can you ban @immamac?

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pretty sure it's AI. Which was my instinct. This sounds totally like AI writing and yet the dipshits in the recruiting thread repped it 6 times. Including ctj. 

Explains the multiple accounts, too. Can you ban @immamac?

Jesus, if that’s AI, it’s been instructed to abuse parenthesis to appear regarded. 

7 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

This aggression will not stand.

Car crashes into North Austin pho restaurant

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/pho-van-austin-crash/269-7b8f0749-cfbd-4750-87e7-da1a8f0ea163

GODDAMMIT.  THE NAME OF THE PLACE IS PHO VAN, NOT PHO CAR!  DOESN'T ANYONE FOLLOW CONVENTION ANYMORE????

Also, have been there a few times.  It's alright.  The taiwanese bubble tea place and the Julie's Noodles down from it are better.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

GODDAMMIT.  THE NAME OF THE PLACE IS PHO VAN, NOT PHO CAR!  DOESN'T ANYONE FOLLOW CONVENTION ANYMORE????

Also, have been there a few times.  It's alright.  The taiwanese bubble tea place and the Julie's Noodles down from it are better.

Tan My around the corner is much better, it's actually the best pho in Austin.  When I heard a car had run through a pho place in North Austin near the Target at Ohlen Road, I was screaming in my head "NOOOOO, please don't let it be Tan My."

I mean, it still sucks for Pho Van of course, but ya know...

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, utee94 said:

Tan My around the corner is much better, it's actually the best pho in Austin.  When I heard a car had run through a pho place in North Austin near the Target at Ohlen Road, I was screaming in my head "NOOOOO, please don't let it be Tan My."

I mean, it still sucks for Pho Van of course, but ya know...

I love Tan My.  My wife isn't so crazy about it - too dirty/sketchy for her.  Sigh.  Women.

• Rage+1 1

With February in the books, we're at 11 murders on KXAN's count. Previous years:

2024: 11
2023: 15
2022: 14
2021: 13
2020: 9

One thing to note -- this year's 11 homicides include a security guard killing a man in self-defense and this past week a guy who killed another guy in self defense that was slashing tires in a parking lot and allegedly lunged at him.

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

With February in the books, we're at 11 murders on KXAN's count. Previous years:

2024: 11
2023: 15
2022: 14
2021: 13
2020: 9

One thing to note -- this year's 11 homicides include a security guard killing a man in self-defense and this past week a guy who killed another guy in self defense that was slashing tires in a parking lot and allegedly lunged at him.

Then those aren’t murders. Killing someone isn’t the same as murder. 

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Also, that Casulo Hotel fire? Not sure if discussed here, but just saw it "The fire started in an abandoned three-story building that then spread to the Casulo Hotel, AFD said."

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/abandoned-building-fire-casulo-hotel-austin-texas

Gee, how can a fire start in an abandoned building? 

Some homeless dude, probably: "Meth aint gonna cook itself."

Someone found out.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-homicide-man-killed-slashing-tires/269-01d56ec6-7805-41ea-a6c6-39845aa0926c

AUSTIN, Texas — A man was shot and killed after a confrontation in a parking lot in North Austin on Saturday.

According to police, the incident occurred after 34-year-old Christopher Hernandez had been slashing tires in a shopping center parking lot in the 7800 block of North Lamar Boulevard, near Guadalupe Street and Research Boulevard.

The caller who contacted APD got into a confrontation with Hernandez, who then allegedly threatened the caller with a knife. The caller then shot Hernandez, claiming self-defense.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Someone found out.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/austin-homicide-man-killed-slashing-tires/269-01d56ec6-7805-41ea-a6c6-39845aa0926c

AUSTIN, Texas — A man was shot and killed after a confrontation in a parking lot in North Austin on Saturday.

According to police, the incident occurred after 34-year-old Christopher Hernandez had been slashing tires in a shopping center parking lot in the 7800 block of North Lamar Boulevard, near Guadalupe Street and Research Boulevard.

The caller who contacted APD got into a confrontation with Hernandez, who then allegedly threatened the caller with a knife. The caller then shot Hernandez, claiming self-defense.

Allow David Cross GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/29/2024 at 4:20 PM, Ghost of LL said:

It's just Lost Creek that is being put to a vote.  It's the result of a very specific piece of legislation passed last year by the 88th Legislature, following years of lobbying by a handful of residents.  Perhaps it won't surprise you to learn that there are a few lobbyists who live in Lost Creek.

Anyway, it's just a majority of votes cast needed for disannexation.  That's why the City's move here is so puzzling.  In a low-turnout election, it's going to be the highly motivated people who carry the day.  And on this issue, that's clearly the pro-disannexation people.

Madeline Connor is going to get the last laugh. 

• Like 1

I also see in Oregon they are walking back decriminalizing drug possession. Cuz it ain’t working. Cuz this wasn’t gonna work.  More drug overdoses than ever before there bc they let people sell drugs

. I think marijuana ought to be legal with taxation and government oversight and standards. Use the taxes to protect the border but most especially put that money also into disadvantaged communities and their schools and community centers and whatever will best help them. 

Austin is dumb. Let’s try shit that ain’t working other places like with the police or be a sanctuary city or do this or that. Or fuck up I35 or go crazy vet bike lanes and other transit that isn’t going to work and have a ramped homeless issue and have more people than resources like water!

People have to value the rule of law and a decent living. Value education and caring for others. Policies we think are meant to do that are doing the opposite with our homeless. With our mentally ill. With the gun laws issue. With disadvantaged people and with our poor minorities.

With nearly every crisis we have this issue. The “my heart is in the right place and I want to do the right thing” but we choose the dumbest of all ways to accomplish it. We worry that we will offend. But our heart is in the right place so we think if we choose a dumbass direction that doesn’t work and can’t work and has never been proven to work but also has go overboard to appease people so overboard that it has to be the RIGHT thing when it is in fact—-WRONG! 

Sorry but this shit radically pisses me off. I’d wager we all feel the same way about wanting to solve all problems we have. I am compassionate but I am also not an idiot. Blind compassion fueling these horrible ideas that are then pushed onto the communities. But hey, one side got what they wanted. Five years down the road and it’s one crisis after another they will see they are wrong and shrug their shoulders and blame the world. Not their solution. This is absolutely directed at both parties which I do not support. Dumb ideas to solve real problems put into law by useless lawyers…

rant over. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I also see in Oregon they are walking back decriminalizing drug possession. Cuz it ain’t working. Cuz this wasn’t gonna work.  More drug overdoses than ever before there bc they let people sell drugs

. I think marijuana ought to be legal with taxation and government oversight and standards. Use the taxes to protect the border but most especially put that money also into disadvantaged communities and their schools and community centers and whatever will best help them. 

Austin is dumb. Let’s try shit that ain’t working other places like with the police or be a sanctuary city or do this or that. Or fuck up I35 or go crazy vet bike lanes and other transit that isn’t going to work and have a ramped homeless issue and have more people than resources like water!

People have to value the rule of law and a decent living. Value education and caring for others. Policies we think are meant to do that are doing the opposite with our homeless. With our mentally ill. With the gun laws issue. With disadvantaged people and with our poor minorities.

With nearly every crisis we have this issue. The “my heart is in the right place and I want to do the right thing” but we choose the dumbest of all ways to accomplish it. We worry that we will offend. But our heart is in the right place so we think if we choose a dumbass direction that doesn’t work and can’t work and has never been proven to work but also has go overboard to appease people so overboard that it has to be the RIGHT thing when it is in fact—-WRONG! 

Sorry but this shit radically pisses me off. I’d wager we all feel the same way about wanting to solve all problems we have. I am compassionate but I am also not an idiot. Blind compassion fueling these horrible ideas that are then pushed onto the communities. But hey, one side got what they wanted. Five years down the road and it’s one crisis after another they will see they are wrong and shrug their shoulders and blame the world. Not their solution. This is absolutely directed at both parties which I do not support. Dumb ideas to solve real problems put into law by useless lawyers…

rant over. 

I'm confused as to how lack of police staffing sets a city back 15 years.  So it's 2009 now?

Edited by Biff Tannen

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm confused as to how lack of police staffing sets a city back 15 years.  So it's 2009 now?

It’s literally a Fox News story reposted by the NY Post. A one two punch of journalism for idiots.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Marked safe from Nicole and disaster low levels of Austin police forces after 3 hours on the town lake trails. 

All those  healthy trail butts. My god I love spring on town lake. 

Edited by NAVY
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well there were probably more police and fewer people in Austin back then? I’m not sure 2009 makes a lot of sense. You could pick any year from four years ago on.

There is a crisis but honestly people will just shrug down the line when innocent people can’t be saved or 911 is spread too thin during large events until a guy with a machete shows up on their front lawn with a bucket full of sea bass. Then you are fucked.