What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Welp, enjoy it while you can.  I'd guess half of those moves never happen since you have to remain solvent and income free during a 1+ year construction project.  Most people have moved on by then to retirement or another opportunity. If they do move in, most don't survive because the average Austinite can't figure out where to park for ground level retail.

I look forward to Hoover's joining the Austin airport's graveyard of mom and pop restaurants.

michael-clarke-duncan-dont-you-put-that-

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Welp, enjoy it while you can.  I'd guess half of those moves never happen since you have to remain solvent and income free during a 1+ year construction project.  Most people have moved on by then to retirement or another opportunity. If they do move in, most don't survive because the average Austinite can't figure out where to park for ground level retail.

I look forward to Hoover's joining the Austin airport's graveyard of mom and pop restaurants.

image.thumb.jpeg.f8c54a14c7705ccdd7d9ae25f55bec41.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

On 4/30/2024 at 1:37 PM, Wally Pryor said:

If Sarkisian is still in need of d-line depth then someone recommend 1:55 for 20 seconds. The guy dropping via tase at 2:35 is worth the price of admission. And the midget capping things off is a nice finale. So much gold.  

Good 'ol 6th. Just where you want to take visitors. I can't believe idiots still recommend.

Lollipops for everyone. 

My buddy who visits from SA every couple of months always insists on going down there. 

On 4/30/2024 at 3:32 PM, Steel Shank said:

Short people.  smh

They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time

Travis CAD election results. Zimm loses again.

https://www.kut.org/politics/2024-05-05/austin-travis-county-property-taxes-tcad-may-4-2024-election-results

Three candidates backed by the local Democratic Party won seats to the Travis Central Appraisal District’s board of directors, who help manage property appraisals.

Jett Hanna, Shenghao 'Daniel' Wang and Dick Lavine soundly defeated three others backed by the local Republican Party on Saturday, including Matt Mackowiak, chair of the party in Travis County, and Don Zimmerman, a former Austin City Council member.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

They'll bitch when a disaster happens and they want Austin services to help/protect them. 

Yeah, they're quite literally the front line of Austin metro for wildfires.  Good luck with that.

14 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

They'll bitch when a disaster happens and they want Austin services to help/protect them. 

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, they're quite literally the front line of Austin metro for wildfires.  Good luck with that.

https://www.westlakefd.org/

It's like there's a fire station RIGHT across 360 from them that's more convenient than AFD...

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I wonder how much the city paid for this artwork under Redbud Trail bridge. NSFW.

Hide contents

shapely-gentlemen-near-redbud-isle-v0-x0

shapely-gentlemen-near-redbud-isle-v0-9i

Now I regret modeling for that. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have a feeling they'll regret this.

On what is your feeling based?  Because I asked around for anybody to make the case against disannexation.  I asked a lot.  And literally nobody I talked to could even articulate any argument.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

As part of the City of Austin, Lost Creek has been on its own for wildfires for a long time.

The neighborhood has been part of the City of Austin since 2015.  And throughout that time, the area has water-storage capacity for 1.5 house fires.  That's right--if there are two house fires in the area at the same time, there isn't enough capacity in those storage tanks at the corner of Lost Creek and Quaker Ridge to effectively fight both fires.

That fact has been known to the City of Austin and AFD throughout the time Lost Creek has been in the City.  And the wildfire danger has also been known to the City.  And despite that, and even with bond issue after bond issue, do you knwo what the City has done to address that issue?

Jack.

Shit.

Yeah, my brother--Lost Creek is quite literally on the front line of the Austin metro for wildfires.  And being inside the City's corporate limits has done absolutely nothing to provide any protection.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

On 5/4/2024 at 10:46 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Paige Ellis. And yeah—she’s completely useless.

Is this a term worse than "worthless"?  If so, it applies to Ellis. 

On another front, and speaking of useless, more money for the Texas Bungalow to do absolutely nothing, of course. High comedy continues.  Just need fatter pockets to continue lining them. 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin City Council unanimously voted Thursday to nearly double the amount of money it will spend renovating a former hotel in north Austin which is intended to become permanent supportive housing for people who are disabled and have a “documented history of chronic homelessness.”

The Bungalows at Century Park, formerly the Texas Bungalows Hotel and Suites, on Burnet Road will be run by Integral Care when opened (lulz). It is expected to provide 60 beds.

Of the more than $2.3 million additional dollars the city will spend on the project, $1.3 million of that will come from 2022 General Obligation bonds and the remaining $1 million will be American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding, according to Jamey May, Austin’s Housing and Community Development Officer.

With the additional funding, the City of Austin will spend roughly $4 million total on the renovation, according to council documents.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/price-tag-could-go-up-for-north-austin-hotel-meant-to-house-people-who-are-homeless/

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Travis CAD election results. Zimm loses again.

https://www.kut.org/politics/2024-05-05/austin-travis-county-property-taxes-tcad-may-4-2024-election-results

Three candidates backed by the local Democratic Party won seats to the Travis Central Appraisal District’s board of directors, who help manage property appraisals.

Jett Hanna, Shenghao 'Daniel' Wang and Dick Lavine soundly defeated three others backed by the local Republican Party on Saturday, including Matt Mackowiak, chair of the party in Travis County, and Don Zimmerman, a former Austin City Council member.

Great. We got a Dick and a Wang on the board. Expect to get fucked on your appraisals.

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

Looks like the are cracking down on dealers. I guess 70+ people dying/almost dying will inspire the Mayor, City Council, DAs office, and Police to finally do something. Maybe this dude will rat out his supplier and so on.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-find-weed-positive-for-fentanyl-in-austin-man-arrested/

Officers focused on surveillance efforts near North Lamar Boulevard and Rutland Drive, described in police documents as an “active open-air drug market.” Police noted they’d seen several drug deals happen at this site.

Just before 2 p.m. Thursday, documents said an undercover officer went to Cash America Pawn at 9616 N. Lamar Blvd., where a man walked up to the officer’s window. The officer asked for crack cocaine and offered $40 for the exchange, police documents said.

The suspect allegedly gave the undercover officer two pieces of crack cocaine before he was apprehended. Police documents identified the suspect as 33-year-old Kanady Arkangelo Rimijo.

While police searched the suspect, officials claim they found eight bags of marijuana. Documents said both the crack cocaine handed to the undercover officer as well as the marijuana tested positive for fentanyl.

“The suspected marijuana was tested for the presence of opioids, as there have been several overdose cases, arrests, and other purchases made by undercover officers in the past 72 hours that involved narcotics that do not normally contain opioids (crack cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana),” police documents said.

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The neighborhood has been part of the City of Austin since 2015.  And throughout that time, the area has water-storage capacity for 1.5 house fires

What water source was used before or will be used now?  Serious question... I don't know.

39 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Looks like the are cracking down on dealers. I guess 70+ people dying/almost dying will inspire the Mayor, City Council, DAs office, and Police to finally do something. Maybe this dude will rat out his supplier and so on.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/police-find-weed-positive-for-fentanyl-in-austin-man-arrested/

Officers focused on surveillance efforts near North Lamar Boulevard and Rutland Drive, described in police documents as an “active open-air drug market.” Police noted they’d seen several drug deals happen at this site.

Just before 2 p.m. Thursday, documents said an undercover officer went to Cash America Pawn at 9616 N. Lamar Blvd., where a man walked up to the officer’s window. The officer asked for crack cocaine and offered $40 for the exchange, police documents said.

The suspect allegedly gave the undercover officer two pieces of crack cocaine before he was apprehended. Police documents identified the suspect as 33-year-old Kanady Arkangelo Rimijo.

While police searched the suspect, officials claim they found eight bags of marijuana. Documents said both the crack cocaine handed to the undercover officer as well as the marijuana tested positive for fentanyl.

“The suspected marijuana was tested for the presence of opioids, as there have been several overdose cases, arrests, and other purchases made by undercover officers in the past 72 hours that involved narcotics that do not normally contain opioids (crack cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana),” police documents said.

I drive by that little drug market every day on my way to my neighborhood supermercado. Shocked they've finally decided to do something about it. Been going on for a long time. The owner of the market had to hire private security to keep that riff raff of the premises because all their calls to the police did nothing. 

• Rage+1 1

25 minutes ago, texasdago said:

What water source was used before or will be used now?  Serious question... I don't know.

Pre-annexation, there was a municipal utility district that was the retail water utility.  I believe it got its wholesale water from the City of Austin.

When Lost Creek was annexed in 2015, the MUD was dissolved, and the retail water utility became the City of Austin.  And the City of Austin is going to continue being the retail water utility post-disannexation.  

The problem is the size of the surface water tanks.  Every neighborhood has to have surface water-storage capacity to keep pressure in the water lines.  For Lost Creek, that surface storage is the tanks that are at the highest point in the neighborhood at Lost Creek Blvd and Quaker Ridge. 

Those storage tanks are plenty to meet demand in Lost Creek and keep pressure in the water lines.  And generally speaking, they're enough to meet fire demand.  But if there's a wildfire down in the Barton Creek Greenbelt that sweeps up into the neighborhood, Lost Creek is turbofucked.  And that has been pointed out to the City for decades--first when it was the wholesaler and over the past decade when it was the retail provider and provider of emergency services.  The City has shrugged its shoulders.

The whole history is just kind of indicative of the benign neglect with which the City has treated Lost Creek, and why I scoff at jimmyjazz when he cites the wildfire risk as a reason to oppose disannexation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Don't bad mouth Wang. He helped save us from Lo Pan and the 3 Storms.

0d5ac660ee29bff1d57760ae390289a0.jpg

Austin is here?  That’s what you said?  Austin is here?  I don’t even know what the hell that means!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

On what is your feeling based?  Because I asked around for anybody to make the case against disannexation.  I asked a lot.  And literally nobody I talked to could even articulate any argument.

As part of the City of Austin, Lost Creek has been on its own for wildfires for a long time.

The neighborhood has been part of the City of Austin since 2015.  And throughout that time, the area has water-storage capacity for 1.5 house fires.  That's right--if there are two house fires in the area at the same time, there isn't enough capacity in those storage tanks at the corner of Lost Creek and Quaker Ridge to effectively fight both fires.

That fact has been known to the City of Austin and AFD throughout the time Lost Creek has been in the City.  And the wildfire danger has also been known to the City.  And despite that, and even with bond issue after bond issue, do you knwo what the City has done to address that issue?

Jack.

Shit.

Yeah, my brother--Lost Creek is quite literally on the front line of the Austin metro for wildfires.  And being inside the City's corporate limits has done absolutely nothing to provide any protection.

Amen.

The neighborhoods around 360, especially those west of it, serve one purpose only. They exist to pay ridiculously high taxes and then shut the fuck up about the complete lack of services. We're paying for the party, but we're not invited to it.  It's the area the city gives the absolute last fuck about regarding any issue.   There are half as many schools as needed for the kids out here and no adequate fire services (despite being the part of the city most likely to have a massive fire disaster - I guess we can thank Lord Una Massa for sending us his ill-begotten daughter, Councilwoman Sana Massam, and ensuring she had disaster training.  Let's just hope she's willing to leave her district to provide assistance), the cops will take an hour or more before moseying out to this distant neck of the woods to do anything (there isn't even a police station within miles of the area - the furthest western police station is in Rollingwood, lol), and the water pressure sucks every night past ten o'clock because we live on hills and this fucking city can't manage a party planning committee much less a water department that understands pumping water uphill requires a bit of pressure.  Lots was discussed about folks with no power during Snovid, but little was ever said about the tons of folks stuck west of the city with no water (and no power) for almost two weeks, and no way to leave our homes because the city had/has no equipment for dealing with icy hills and couldn't be bothered to even attempt to do anything until national news picked up the story.   We did what folks over here always do, fend for ourselves and take care of each other.  The city has never given a fuck about anything out here other than scouring the streets on a daily basis trying to find anyone doing so much as building a doghouse so they can raise their property taxes.  They also get really interested if anyone dares to take down a wild boar terrorizing the neighborhoods, even though the city itself will do nothing about it.  "We won't solve your problems, but you're not allowed to solve them either" is essentially the status the city expects folks on the western edge to agree to.

Most people out here have some means and are relatively self-sufficient.  There's no need to feel sorry for anyone, and that's not the intent of the above.  Everyone out here is well aware of our "rich devil" status (despite it being largely ill-founded) in the minds of the average young Austin resident, which give the city carte blanche to do little more than come out and apply cheap ass chip seal on our roads once every five years.  The point is that anyone who thinks Lost Creek will regret disannexing is hilarious.  The entirety of the western part of the city would love to join them.  There is near zero benefit to being in the city limits out here.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like Matt Mackowiak knows as much about how property taxes work as he does about winning elections in Travis county- a very small amount, but not much. Or he’s fundamentally dishonest. You decide.

19 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

The point is that anyone who thinks Lost Creek will regret disannexing is hilarious.  The entirety of the western part of the city would love to join them.  There is near zero benefit to being in the city limits out here.  

Not sure what’s in it for the city either. They aren’t sending their best.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Pre-annexation, there was a municipal utility district that was the retail water utility.  I believe it got its wholesale water from the City of Austin.

When Lost Creek was annexed in 2015, the MUD was dissolved, and the retail water utility became the City of Austin.  And the City of Austin is going to continue being the retail water utility post-disannexation.  

Fair enough.  Is it fair to say that disannexation will not improve the water supply issue because (bolded)?

I live too close for comfort.

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Looks like Matt Mackowiak knows as much about how property taxes work as he does about winning elections in Travis county- a very small amount, but not much. Or he’s fundamentally dishonest. You decide.

I think the point here is that Property Taxes == PV * CityTaxRate + PV * CountyTaxRates (in a very high level).  TCAD is responsible for setting PV (Property Value), so they are directly responsible for Property tax changes.

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Thanks for putting me in the uncomfortable position of defending that blowhard, but what about his tweet do you disagree with?

My arbitration for my 2023 valuation is Thursday and it’s been a rather unpleasant learning experience.  Were I not in real estate and relatively well educated I’d be at a huge disadvantage, and would likely need to pay a third party.  

I know that TCAD doesn’t set the tax rates, but let’s not act like the various taxing authorities are trying to keep revenue flat in the face of rising values.  

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I think the point here is that Property Taxes == PV * CityTaxRate + PV * CountyTaxRates (in a very high level).  TCAD is responsible for setting PV (Property Value), so they are directly responsible for Property tax changes.

10 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Thanks for putting me in the uncomfortable position of defending that blowhard, but what about his tweet do you disagree with?

The clear implication of his campaign and post election meltdown has been that TCAD is routinely marking residential properties over market, which is nonsense. 
Yes, people with the funds to protest can do even better, I do, and you do too. That’s not a TCAD issue. 
we have a market. Markets set value.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

I think the major issue he's conveyed along with the others I've heard is that TCAD does some shady crap (see: MLS scraping), and protest panels are a joke at best.  They need better checks and balances, but when you have the same clowns running the place with no oversite, you end up with the shit show we've seen recently.

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The clear implication of his campaign and post election meltdown has been that TCAD is routinely marking residential properties over market, which is nonsense. 
Yes, people with the funds to protest can do even better, I do, and you do too. That’s not a TCAD issue. 
we have a market. Markets set value.

I don’t want to make the claim that my personal experience is representative broadly (and I have zero knowledge of what Mackowiack might be saying pre or post election), but I do think system is flawed could use some scrutiny.  And yes, TCAD is routinely making inaccurate appraisal valuations.  It’s inevitable when they are automating the valuations in what’s an in exact process to begin with.  

A taxpayer shouldn’t need to be in my relatively privileged position in order to fight their value successfully.  

I actually saw the notice for that election too late but I would have thought really hard about running for one of the director positions (although it appears that those elected are pretty outstanding).  

7 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

protest panels are a joke

On a personal level this was my experience, but that also that of the professional appraisers with whom consulted in advance.  

43 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I think the major issue he's conveyed along with the others I've heard is that TCAD does some shady crap (see: MLS scraping), and protest panels are a joke at best.  They need better checks and balances, but when you have the same clowns running the place with no oversite, you end up with the shit show we've seen recently.

Compared to what?  I’ve heard all this and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be benchmarking against. For example, Walk me through how using market data to establish market values shady? What would “oversite” look like? I’m happy with the results of my many protests. Should I not be? Educate me, please.

36 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

And yes, TCAD is routinely making inaccurate appraisal valuations.  It’s inevitable when they are automating the valuations in what’s an in exact process to begin with.  

Every valuation in Austin proper I saw between 2015-2023 was low by 20-30k plus.mine was and I STILL got rewarded for the protest. No doubt some were wrong on the high side, and hopefully those people addressed it. 

Ive got a really simple question for yall: what evidence do you have that TCAD is overvaluing residential property at the district level and how is TCAD any worse from any other district besides the existence of KLBJ-AM?

37 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

A taxpayer shouldn’t need to be in my relatively privileged position in order to fight their value successfully.  

Wait until you hear about the criminal justice system!

4 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Compared to what?  I’ve heard all this and I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be benchmarking against. For example, Walk me through how using market data to establish market values shady? What would “oversite” look like? I’m happy with the results of my many protests. Should I not be? Educate me, please.

This was over a decade ago, where I went to argue my first home with them in person.  I came in with viable comps (like houses, sold in the last few months of the prior year to give a decent value equivalence for the end of the year), and they offered their comps (which were sales mid year in different neighborhoods with different home styles).  The panel with 3-4 people on there (again, been a while), one fell asleep DURING the protest.  I was arguing against the assessed / net appraised value, and provided them clear and concise reasoning why I don't believe my house was worth anywhere near what they were claiming. 

They found in favor of the county using an inflated market valuation and failed to refute the assessed / net appraised value arguments, then tried to RAISE the appraised value (all while one of the panel was essentially unconscious and the other one read the rule book in the room and admitted she had no clue what the rules meant).

33 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

This was over a decade ago, where I went to argue my first home with them in person.  I came in with viable comps (like houses, sold in the last few months of the prior year to give a decent value equivalence for the end of the year), and they offered their comps (which were sales mid year in different neighborhoods with different home styles).  The panel with 3-4 people on there (again, been a while), one fell asleep DURING the protest.  I was arguing against the assessed / net appraised value, and provided them clear and concise reasoning why I don't believe my house was worth anywhere near what they were claiming. 

They found in favor of the county using an inflated market valuation and failed to refute the assessed / net appraised value arguments, then tried to RAISE the appraised value (all while one of the panel was essentially unconscious and the other one read the rule book in the room and admitted she had no clue what the rules meant).

That sucks but I want to make sure I follow - you argued your own case instead of hiring a professional tax protesting service?

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That sucks but I want to make sure I follow - you argued your own case instead of hiring a professional tax protesting service?

I did that the first few times, and had great success.  When I tried to run the exact same play several years later....and got ZERO movement....I started using a pro.

• Hook 'Em 2

I, for one, appreciate a good nap every now and then.
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty sure TCAD isn't dead on accurate with appraisals.  My assessed value dropped 31% this year.  I can buy the idea that it was somewhat overvalued the previous 2 years, but that seems like a "correction" that isn't consistent with market conditions, nor is it consistent with my neighbors' valuations.

It seems random at times.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

i do every year.  why wouldn't i? wtf do the idiots whose lives are so shitty they have to work for a property tax protest company know that i don't know?

This year, they raised my house by 6% despite no changes to the house.  I pulled 27 properties within 700 feet of mine and literally every one of them went down except mine...by a mean of 33% and a median of 39%.  not some of them, all of them.  all in improvements because everyone's land stayed the exact same as the previous year.  i provided this evidence as inequity to neighbors in my informal hearing yesterday with some absolute dipshit reading off a script to describe to me why the three properties that they picked as comps for inequitable treatment to neighbors that averaged over three times larger a lot size and were an average of 2.5 miles away from me were more relevant than the 27 contiguous properties bordering my house.

that was amusing.  next up, explaining this to three octogenarians that tcad provides lubys for who will just sleep through my explanation of this to do absolutely nothing of value and then i get to go to court. hooray.

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, sidis said:

wtf do the idiots whose lives are so shitty they have to work for a property tax protest company know that i don't know?

How to win protest cases, evidently. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sidis said:

i do every year.  why wouldn't i? wtf do the idiots whose lives are so shitty they have to work for a property tax protest company know that i don't know?

This year, they raised my house by 6% despite no changes to the house.  I pulled 27 properties within 700 feet of mine and literally every one of them went down except mine...by a mean of 33% and a median of 39%.  not some of them, all of them.  all in improvements because everyone's land stayed the exact same as the previous year.  i provided this evidence as inequity to neighbors in my informal hearing yesterday with some absolute dipshit reading off a script to describe to me why the three properties that they picked as comps for inequitable treatment to neighbors that averaged over three times larger a lot size and were an average of 2.5 miles away from me were more relevant than the 27 contiguous properties bordering my house.

that was amusing.  next up, explaining this to three octogenarians that tcad provides lubys for who will just sleep through my explanation of this to do absolutely nothing of value and then i get to go to court. hooray.

If I was wanting to convince these old folks to rule in favor of my case, I think I'd go in with a friendly and respectful attitude.

But to each his own.

38 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

How to win protest cases, evidently. 

Based on what?

Pithy nonsense aside, I have won every time I have protested. Just have to go to court to get past the stacked nonsense of the TCAD farce of a process. LOL at paying scam artists who live off said process to do the work of a nine year old. 

18 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

If I was wanting to convince these old folks to rule in favor of my case, I think I'd go in with a friendly and respectful attitude.

But to each his own.

I figured you’d just pull your dick out and offer to lay some pipe before your nap.