Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

The Big 12 lost its most valuable and iconic brand. It also lost broke ass OU. I don’t think anybody thought things would turn out as well as they appear to have for the conference. It is arguably the most stable it’s been since the departures of UNL and the others. It promises to be a win-win for all involved.

The Big12 commissioner is a ballsy guy who will have his pick of jobs in the not too distant future.

Edited by Satchel

22 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Saturday double-headers

They will get tired of them

And they will like it until they relent on the Sunday thing

Not going to happen.  They'll drop athletics before they relent on Sunday play.  

21 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

If Yormark is able to separate TV contracts for football and basketball, and get a serious package for basketball (lets face it, the Big 12 will be head and shoulders better basketball wise than every other conference), and a respectable package for football, then he's a goddamned genius.

He's been a godsend to this conference.  While I don't share his fixation on basketball, I love what he's doing in helping the Big 12 to keep pace with the B1G and SEC.  

18 hours ago, Welshy said:

That's the funniest shit I've ever seen. Cal cares less about its students than Stanford...and that's a lot less than atm, bamer or WVU does. This is one of, and not the only reason why, AAU sucks. These schools operate in very rarified research circles. They are not good educators. The 30-100 thousand students who attend and spend massive amounts of money at these schools are generally taught by student teachers, then by junior, non tenured professors. Think I'm wrong? Do you think those professors getting 10s of millions or 100s of millions of dollars for research are teaching 1 or 2 or 3k classes?

They are not. 

Generally speaking, what the top 50 schools in the country consider education is exactly NOT education. It's a scam. And they know it. And don't care. 

Cry me a river, Cal. Manage your goddamn bills. 

--------------

Makes me appreciate my BYU education, it was the polar opposite in focus with the faculty focused on working and instructing the students both undergrad and graduate.  It's educational focus is completely different though in that it is more geared towards preparing the student for post-graduate education, getting their degrees there and sending them to top academic post graduate programs throughout the country (while also providing some elite post-grad programs as well).   

2 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Why would any conference take the UAZ?  IT flies in the face of everything we have said about tv markets and recruiting turf for the past 20 years.

For Basketball, Yormark has this fixation on making it the strongest basketball conference and doing a separate deal for the conferences basketball.

• Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Satchel said:

The Big 12 lost its most valuable and iconic brand. It also lost broke ass OU. I don’t think anybody thought things would turn out as well as they appear to have for the conference. It is arguably the most stable it’s been since the departures of UNL and the others. It promises to be a win-win for all involved.

The Big12 commissioner is a ballsy guy who will have his pick of jobs in the not too distant future.

Broke ass OU.  Lol.  As opposed to flush with cash KSU, OSU, and Baylor and whatever community colleges were brought in last go round?  And OU was pretty damn iconic in that shitty conference.  None of those AD’s would argue otherwise including CDC.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Deej said:

So who is the Big 12's biggest brand now?

BYU?  Just wondering if anyone will warn them of the fuckery the refs will give them.

I've been wondering which B12 school will try to become "The Big Dawg" and fill the power void left by blOU/TEXAS ??

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

At this point I think it’s arguable that UT and OU did the rest of the Big 12 a favor

Something I told you over and over when you were about to jump off that bridge when Texas/OU left the Big 12. This will lead to more competitive games across the board. And you actually have a better chance of making the playoffs. It may not be great odds, but you had a 0% chance of making the playoffs in the old format.

Big recruiting powers should be playing each other every week. The most competitive programs outside of this playing field should play each other every week to see which teams deserve a playoff berth.

Wake Forest, WSU, OSU, etcetera need to drop down to a lower level of football. 

It's going to maximize profits. There are going to be way more competitive games on TV after all the realignment is over. We will also finally get some real rules someday because of this.

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Broke ass OU.  Lol.  As opposed to flush with cash KSU, OSU, and Baylor and whatever community colleges were brought in last go round?  And OU was pretty damn iconic in that shitty conference.  None of those AD’s would argue otherwise including CDC.  

Yep. Broke ass Oklahoma, as in billion dollar broke ass Oklahoma.

45 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Dude, what's with that?

Have they always been this delusional? Are they still riding the Urban Meyer wake after all these years?

They just won their shitty conference twice in a row, they’re allowed to talk their shit. People are just pussies.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

The Big 12 lost its most valuable and iconic brand. It also lost broke ass OU. 

Yea Oklahoma is tenth on the athletic department revenue list I wouldn’t really call them broke….   They did just pay 50 million to leave a year early just like Texas.  Definitely more athletic depart revenue than the majority SEC schools. 

Edited by Hook1997

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Tech vs. Arizona State needs to be played as a neutral site game in Las Vegas during the AVN Awards.   That would help their students find jobs better than any on-campus recruiting or fancy new building.

Or Plano or Louisville, right?

Giggle, giggle tee-hee!  Get it?  Pizza Headquarters...

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, Deej said:

So who is the Big 12's biggest brand now?

BYU?

Just wondering if anyone will warn them of the fuckery the refs will give them.

The Texas getting fucked by the refs thing is the most hilarious pity party in the history of sports.  Yeah, yeah Orakpo, but then you ignore the decades of horseshit calls in your favor.  That's a huge ingredient in why that game was so satisfying.  It wasn't just the score.  It was the years of shenanigans and 50-50 calls that seemingly always went the way of the Longhorns that for one night , didn't prevail.

You have every fucking advantage in the world, yet somehow, you find a way to have your own bogeyman.  It's an ingredient in why everyone else has an ounce of hate for good ole benevolent UT( in Surly's mind.)

Edited by slorch

4 hours ago, slorch said:

The Texas getting fucked by the refs thing is the most hilarious pity party in the history of sports.  Yeah, yeah Orakpo, but then you ignore the decades of horseshit calls in your favor.  That's a huge ingredient in why that game was so satisfying.  It wasn't just the score.  It was the years of shenanigans and 50-50 calls that seemingly always went the way of the Longhorns that for one night , didn't prevail.

You have every fucking advantage in the world, yet somehow, you find a way to have your own bogeyman.  It's an ingredient in why everyone else has an ounce of hate for good ole benevolent UT( in Surly's mind.)

You know you're wrong, but that has never stopped you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deej said:

We know we are wrong, but it sounds really fucking good in our heads while ignoring reality.

Agreed.

hey, I've always hated A&M the most, and it's not even really close.  Even when you beat them, they still never shut up.  The officiating/ conference decisions/ NCAA leanings are absolutely elements in the dislike for Texas, regardless of how folks on here like to portray it.

Then y'all will claim, "well everybody else is wrong."   It's a great aspect that is beyond denial.  ask around...if anyone will talk to ya.

Edited by slorch

Remember, all other fanbases who bitch about the refs are gaping pussies, but when the Horn fans do it, they’re just telling it like it is.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Remember, all other fanbases who bitch about the refs are gaping pussies, but when the Horn fans do it, they’re just telling it like it is.

I'm still embarrassed about the game at Jack Trice that went down to the last possible moments, and featured J. Gray losing the ball on the goalline twice in a row and having the refs give it right back to Texas. ISU's coach went off like a madman, and rightly so... and then got hammered for it.

Furk.

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I'm still embarrassed about the game at Jack Trice that went down to the last possible moments, and featured J. Gray losing the ball on the goalline twice in a row and having the refs give it right back to Texas. ISU's coach went off like a madman, and rightly so... and then got hammered for it.

Furk.

I mean, we definitely have a complex with the officials, I won’t deny it.  But they’ve earned it over the years.  There’s a reason the Big 12 Refs Twitter account constantly jokes about screwing ISU.

I’ve seen Texas get boned by the refs too - that 2015 OSU game was egregious.  I doubt there’s a fanbase in sports that can’t immediately rattle off a litany of calls that hurt their team.

I just think it’s hilarious how many of the same posters that criticize opposing players, fans, and coaches for complaining about officiating, and then contend that UT is the victim of a vast fixed officiating conspiracy.

5 hours ago, slorch said:

What were these decades of BS calls in UT's favor? I'm assuming you're talking about the SWC era. That was well before my time, and I don't know enough about the conference politics during that time period, but none of that applies to what I've seen since I've started following this program in the late 90s. Shitty calls happen to every team, but I have yet to see evidence that Texas controls everything like so many fans of other schools seem to claim. 

Isn’t there already a thread for talking about what turds the refs can drop? Everyone gets screwed sometimes. Lately there’s one crew that demonstrably screws Texas, but the others look to be relatively neutral when analyzed. Even the screw crew can be overcome— see Baylor last year.