Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Funny thing about this thread is that it is mostly Texas fans being indignant about the Left Behinds not being more appreciative for all of the constant good will and altruism that drove others to leave the Big XII.

The thread is about the left behinds,not UT’s alleged good deeds.  People would be talking about missing Texas if that were the case.

Somehow, we’ll fucking survive…. Just maybe.

No, it's about idiots like you blaming us for all your problems. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It's a large Texas forum. Every thread will largely be dominated by Texas posters. This is news? Not only that, it's funny in some form?

My view is that the Big 12 will be fine as the 4th of 4 larger conferences. They'll get 2 teams into the CFP many years and should be happy with that. They likely won't be, because they'll have some random "underranked" also-ran team at 10-2 that they'll be whining is more deserving than a Big 10 or SEC team that is 9-3 and getting in. Same as it ever was.

In terms of the Texas vs. Tech relationship, I know every person I've spoken to about moving on from Tech is excited about it. People in Lubbock have been miserable shitheels to Texas visitors for decades and not just on a "horns down" level but on a throwing things at people/jumping guys wearing UT gear after a game-level of bullshit. You can make claims that that happens at Texas too, and, well, it absofuckinglutely does not. It's never a regular thing at Texas and other fans never feel threatened. 

Tech's brass has gotten really brazen about making a play for the PUF in some form. Then they turn around and bawl in public about Texas not playing them long term. The reality is that those things are intertwined. If Tech wasn't trying underhanded shit with the legislature in regard to something that isn't theirs, Texas would have felt much better establishing a structure for ongoing athletic competition.

Texas tried to take Tech with them to the PAC and the PAC and the aggies blew it. Even when the SEC discussion, allegedly an offline set of conversations with the Big 10 ended with the conclusion that the Big 10 could simply not rationalize taking either OU or Tech with Texas. The academic side of both schools are a blight on any conference. Out of other options and being realistic about the future, Texas reluctantly went with OU and left Tech behind. Tech parlayed that into an eternity of ill will between the schools. If they want to blame that on Texas, no one will give a shit but their echo chamber.

Slorch, this is CTJ posting without hyperbole, funny insults, or insulting allegories. This is not smack talk. He is dispassionately explaining what the background is. Advice: read and reflect, rather than reply like the Raider Red pull string doll. 

https://www.theunticket.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/TexasTechDoll.mp3

(I admit to not being as calm and reasoned as CTJ)

Edited by statsman

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Funny thing about this thread is that it is mostly Texas fans being indignant about the Left Behinds not being more appreciative for all of the constant good will and altruism that drove others to leave the Big XII.

The thread is about the left behinds,not UT’s alleged good deeds.  People would be talking about missing Texas if that were the case.

cuck.png

And the dipshit pays to be on this free site, too. LMFAO what a cuck.

• Haha 2

I must of missed that list of legitimate issues slorch posted.

Could someone please let me know where they went? Or, God forbid, did he post them and the over eager, sunshine pumping and super sensitive administration of this website take them down. That must be it right? Dammit! 

Edited by BurntEyes

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I must of missed that list of legitimate issues slorch posted.

Could someone please let me know where they went? Or, God forbid, did he post them and the over eager, sunshine pumping and super sensitive administration of this website take them down. That must be it right? Dammit! 

Awkward Cricket GIF

Bigfoot Sasquatch GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

The old Big 8 was different from the SWC. The “little six” knew that a strong OU and NU meant more money and status for the whole conference. 

The SWC was different. When Texas is really doing well, it takes revenue and attention away from the smaller schools, in FW, in Dallas, in Waco, in Houston and in Lubbock, in a way that a high flying OU doesn’t. I think that’s the reason for the different dynamic and responses to a really good Texas, as opposed to a successful OU (or NU). 

They need a reason to dislike Texas. The LHN served that purpose. Nevermind that Texas was responsible for more Big XII revenue than even OU, the IR8 wanted it all. Their argument? “Everyone else puts all their revenue into a common kitty. Only Texas holds a big chunk back”.  Again, Nevermind that Texas was already contributing more. 

It was a relationship based on legal obligations more than mutually enjoyed traditions, and thankfully the parameters aligned (Texas Ex governor, all Texas Ex BoR, Texas Ex president, buyout manageable) to end it. 

Texas pushed for a Big XII network, it got shit on.

Texas offered to create one with Aggie.

They declined.

Texas finally said fuck it and formed the LHN. 

We tried multiple ways, they all said no multiple times. So, we did it alone. The option was to get no money after offering various options to share money.

Clearly, we should have taken no money, because money can't buy you love.

Edit - Hah, found a fairly recent link that details all the shenanigans.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/rise-and-fall-of-the-longhorn-network/

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1

Personally, my biggest issues always were with NU and aggie. However, I want to note my gratitude for all the joy aggie continues to provide. Watching both those teams go absolutely dumpster fire has been amusing.

CU tweaked me a bit because their fans largely suck based on personal experience but.. mostly their just fair weather annoying. 

Tech makes me laugh.

Edited by BurntEyes

5 hours ago, slorch said:

So let's take a look at all of those other schools that left conferences and the schools left behind talk about missing them....

Yeah, I don't think that's a thing, Scooter.  But it made for a nice little zinger.

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

So let's take a look at all of those other schools that left conferences and the schools left behind talk about missing them....

Yeah, I don't think that's a thing, Scooter.  But it made for a nice little zinger.

Wait... 

I enjoy that NU went dumpster fire, but I do miss owning their shitty team. So there's that I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty funny discussion on On3 YouTube podcast today about best football job in B12.  It was a real struggle for them.  😋

They seemed to decide most of the B12 jobs are about the same in value --  thought maybe K-State and tcu were best jobs due to locations.   

They do like both Arizona jobs too...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 8:16 AM, slorch said:

For someone who has posted over 17,000 times on Surly, I would think you would know the thread is about whatever the people posting on it are posting about.

• Haha 1

This website seems to attract a lot of fans from other schools. I imagine that, upon starting SEC play, there will be some new visitors. 

I look forward to the interaction between the SEC visitors and the Big XII visitors. 

47 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pretty funny discussion on On3 YouTube podcast today about best football job in B12.  It was a real struggle for them.  😋

They seemed to decide most of the B12 jobs are about the same in value --  thought maybe K-State and tcu were best jobs due to locations.   

Messed up... Podcast was Cover3

Discussed AZ job, then fell into best B12 jobs discussion around 17min area 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Has anybody on that podcast ever stepped foot in Manhattan, KS?

It's the aggy of Kansas. Not a "bad" college town, but not a particularly desirable location or experience.

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Meh

Not any better than Lawrence, IMO. I'd probably lean KU if I ever watched a game at the Phog.

Lawrence is closer to KC, but it doesn't have much going for it otherwise. I'd rather live in Lawrence, but if I have to spend an evening, I would rather be in Manhattan. Then there's Wichita, I guess, but it's a distant 3rd.

4 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Lawrence is closer to KC, but it doesn't have much going for it otherwise. I'd rather live in Lawrence, but if I have to spend an evening, I would rather be in Manhattan. Then there's Wichita, I guess, but it's a distant 3rd.

Agree that they're comparable. Just college towns in Kansas.

Wichita is a smaller OKC.

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Has anybody on that podcast ever stepped foot in Manhattan, KS?

It's the aggy of Kansas. Not a "bad" college town, but not a particularly desirable location or experience.

Half the SEC is in remote southern locations. KSU is a good job because they care and are committed. TCU has that plus a better location. OSU is in a small town but is an hour from two metro areas and is committed but will be hard to judge the quality of "the job" since the entirety of our success has been under Gundy (started by Les obviously but it's been Gundy's long term success). Lawrence feels like an exurb of KC, there's no reason they can't stay competitive in football with the new stadium and if they support it with adequate resources. I think it's correct that, on paper, none of the jobs sticks out above the others, it should be a competitive league every year and a coin flip who ends up on top in any given year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Half the SEC is in remote southern locations. KSU is a good job because they care and are committed. TCU has that plus a better location. OSU is in a small town but is an hour from two metro areas and is committed but will be hard to judge the quality of "the job" since the entirety of our success has been under Gundy (started by Les obviously but it's been Gundy's long term success). Lawrence feels like an exurb of KC, there's no reason they can't stay competitive in football with the new stadium and if they support it with adequate resources. I think it's correct that, on paper, none of the jobs sticks out above the others, it should be a competitive league every year and a coin flip who ends up on top in any given year.

True, if we rank the remaining Big 12 schools by "commitment" to being competitive in football, K-State, TCU, OSU, and Utah will be the new standard-bearers. KU is doing all the right things to build their program, too. UH will sneak in there, too, occasionally. 

I know I'll be missing a bunch of away games now that most if not all of them will be outside of our great state..

On 1/10/2024 at 11:23 AM, Tex Pete said:

I I even know someone who was with the Red Raider program, saw Adam James get sent to the shed,

His dad killed 5 hookers

CJK5H

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

It's fun to discuss which football Head Coaching jobs are the most desirable in the "New B12".

Seems like both the Ariz schools could be really good jobs in the future with the population growth out there. K-State fans are great so that's a quality job.  Tcu's location in DFW seems like a good place to coach.  Iowa State fans really support them and that's seems like another quality B12 job too.  

Not sure what okie lite will become once Gundy retires but their fans love football.  Cougar high has potential but terrible fan support. Utah and BYU fans sure are great but not as many candidates want to coach out there.  Tech's location makes it a less desirable job.  UCF has too many SEC/ACC teams recruiting in their area to build a great roster.  Baylor needs a coach like Traylor.  

Cincy and WVU just don't seem to be attractive football jobs at all.  KU is tough because you are always 2nd to their basketball team.  And without Deion, the Colorado job seems like a tough place to win.  

Edited by LTtxfan

You clowns have been discussing the best head coaching job in the "new" Big XII and there has been zero mention of the co-ed population at Arizona State? ASU is the answer and it ain't close. 

Good fucking God, this board has gone to the shitter. 

I haz a cry.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

You clowns have been discussing the best head coaching job in the "new" Big XII and there has been zero mention of the co-ed population at Arizona State? ASU is the answer and it ain't close. 

Good fucking God, this board has gone to the shitter. 

I haz a cry.

I doubt the head coaches are banging co-eds.  Besides Lane Kiffen.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 1/10/2024 at 10:41 AM, closetojumping said:

My view is that the Big 12 will be fine as the 4th of 4 larger conferences.

I agree with most of your post except this point.  I think the Big 12 is already pretty clearly the #3 conference. 

Once Florida State bolts, some of the upper middle ACC schools are going to fight it out to join the Big 12 (schools like Virginia Tech, Pitt, Virginia and Louisville). They will take note of what happened to WSU and Oregon State and won't want to be stuck without a chair when the music stops.  The ACC is as good as dead, IMO.

Then there will be 2 power conferences, plus the Big 12 (with the rest of the respectable programs)... then everybody else.  The SEC and BIG will get in 4 per year. Big 12 will get 2-3. And one spot will be left for everyone else.  \Crystal Ball

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I agree with most of your post except this point.  I think the Big 12 is already pretty clearly the #3 conference. 

Once Florida State bolts, some of the upper middle ACC schools are going to fight it out to join the Big 12 (schools like Virginia Tech, Pitt, Virginia and Louisville). They will take note of what happened to WSU and Oregon State and won't want to be stuck without a chair when the music stops.  The ACC is as good as dead, IMO.

Then there will be 2 power conferences, plus the Big 12 (with the rest of the respectable programs)... then everybody else.  The SEC and BIG will get in 4 per year. Big 12 will get 2-3. And one spot will be left for everyone else.  \Crystal Ball

My view is that the ACC has FSU, Clemson, and UNC until they don’t. Add in Miami and the ND connection and it’s going to get more benefits of the doubt than the the no-brand league. When those teams bail, I’m with you. I wasn’t basing anything on the money, just the perception and how that will play out in terms of getting teams in and such. 

22 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I assume you're assuming the 6 conference champ rule will be gone by then for the playoff

• Like 1

The PAC2 will merge with the MWC once they squeeze every last cent they can from the CFP and what little juice is left in their conference coffers.

If the ACC loses FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, UVA and any high value teams to the  SEC/B1G plus their second rate teams like Louisville, NCSU, Pitt, VA Tech to the Big 12 they will also survive in a similar manner.

There are just too many schools in the ACC and too many backfill candidates sitting out in the American/Sun Belt/CUSA for them to go quietly into the night. USF, UConn, Memphis, Tulane, and Temple are the quick and obvious no brainers that come to mind before you start looking at less prestigious schools with good football like App State or Liberty.

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The Harsin stuff was trumped up. Auburn ultimately had to concede as much. There was no proof of anything going on, and they inspected phones, calendars, emails, etc. Basically, just another case of Auburn and its boosters being unbelievable pieces of shit. I have no affinity whatsoever for Harsin, but it always pisses me off to see things like that. The female, who wasn't a coed, basically had her career sabotaged by the accusations. Harsin had endure that bullshit as an attempt for Auburn to fire him for cause and avoid a $15M payout. They couldn't prove anything, other than the dude had a hot female on his staff, and ultimately paid him his buyout in full

Not trying to derail or anything, but that one just bothers me. And the fact that people just went with the headlines and the writers never came back to fully layout the truth. 

No way they pay him in full if it wasn't made up by them

14 hours ago, HookEm said:

The ACC is as good as dead, IMO.

I'm not seeing this. Yeah, they may lose their best football members at some point (FSU and Clemson), but I think they added Cal, Stanford and SMU to bolster their member numbers in case Clemson and FSU bolt.

If FSU and Clemson bolt, the ACC still has 15 football programs and can go poach G5's if needed.

They'll remain the #4 of the 4 main conferences.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The Harsin stuff was trumped up. Auburn ultimately had to concede as much. There was no proof of anything going on, and they inspected phones, calendars, emails, etc. Basically, just another case of Auburn and its boosters being unbelievable pieces of shit. I have no affinity whatsoever for Harsin, but it always pisses me off to see things like that. The female, who wasn't a coed, basically had her career sabotaged by the accusations. Harsin had endure that bullshit as an attempt for Auburn to fire him for cause and avoid a $15M payout. They couldn't prove anything, other than the dude had a hot female on his staff, and ultimately paid him his buyout in full. 

Not trying to derail or anything, but that one just bothers me. And the fact that people just went with the headlines and the writers never came back to fully layout the truth. 

image.thumb.png.2c90d9eb876445ec9246a00ef8b62785.png

image.thumb.png.9daa60e51ab11121e6c2f6b1d94b3b6b.png

• Like 1
  • Drool 7