Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I know people are chalking Northwestern St as W....but if Aggys secondary is really that shitty...could be a closer game than people might think. Shelton Eppler is listed as the QB..you may or may not recall but he  was the one breaking records with Tren'davian Dickson in HS. If NWST receivers have any sort of speed Eppler might have a field day. 

I'm more interested in seeing how the aggy lines do. If they can't push Northwestern State around for 60 minutes they are fucked.

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm more interested in seeing how the aggy lines do. If they can't push Northwestern State around for 60 minutes they are fucked.

This is true. But regardless of how their lines fare against NWS, the following week should be quite a learning experience in comparison.

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Perroni with a Calzada post this a.m. 

The word you're looking for is bonding, Hamm Lite. Unless they are actually tying each other up. NTTAWWT. 

After those last couple shitty performances I bet Calzone can't wait to get to lit station.  His high school teammates have probably offered to drive him there.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Haha 1

With Calzada hailing from outside the Lone Star State, he does not see as many Aggie targets on a regular basis. However, he happens to practice against one every day.

"The one guy that I've been really working on is my teammate. He's a class of 2020 linebacker, Phillip Webb," Calzada said. "I'm working on getting him out there with me at some point so he can see what made me love it so much."

https://247sports.com/Player/Phillip-Webb-46054443

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Calzone will never take the hint and decommit on his own, as he likely has no place else to go other than a murray st. or similar  

Aggy bagmen may be tasked with paying him off to decommit. I’d love to be a fly on that wall. 

Surprisingly they haven't done that with their other bread, but I expect it to happen. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Calzone will never take the hint and decommit on his own, as he likely has no place else to go other than a murray st. or similar  

Aggy bagmen may be tasked with paying him off to decommit. I’d love to be a fly on that wall. 

Is a weak year at QB nationally. They may end up just having to take him. 

8 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

After those last couple shitty performances I bet Calzone can't wait to get to lit station.  His high school teammates have probably offered to drive him there.

What would be greatbis his back up is better and dude isnt a starter when he gets healthy. 

Headline: aggy signs back up QB. 

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If Aggy loses to an FCS team to start the Jimbo era, I would be found face down in an alley with a needle of Aggy misery 

If that happens. Get ready for the instant comparison to Saban “because Saban lost to ULM in his first game - we’re just like Bama!!!  SEC SEC SEC!!! garble garble garble!!!”

“It was a lot of the mental game,” Mond said. “Understanding and reading defenses is one of the biggest reasons I’m having so much success this year.”

So much success this year reading defenses. The one he's played against everyday. And, he's undefeated so far this season.

Aggie through and through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

How does yards per attempt vs yards per completion work? Is where it bounced off the receiver’s facemask/QB threw it into the ground vs the spot where wow we can’t fucking believe he caught it and was able to run with it a little bit?

I’m guessing it was poorly worded attempt at total yards gained by passing divided by total attempts.  

If a QB throws 5 passes but completes one for 50 yds, his ypc is 50 but his ypa is 10.

Based on the stats presented the only thing I can sumize he’s trying to say is that Starkel throws more often and is more accurate or Mond runs more and is less accurate.  Which if the case, makes Mond at QB1 even more fucking strange considering the “Ex-husband of the town bike”’s offense.

Either way, It’s a pretty shitty effort by Ben Baby at presenting his hot take.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

22 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

I’m guessing it was poorly worded attempt at total yards gained by passing divided by total attempts.  

If a QB throws 5 passes but completes one for 50 yds, his ypc is 50 but his ypa is 10.

Based on the stats presented the only thing I can sumize he’s trying to say is that Starkel throws more often and is more accurate or Mond runs more and is less accurate.  Which if the case, makes Mond at QB1 even more fucking strange considering the “Ex-husband of the town bike”’s offense.

It's the "keep Starkelmotion alive through the Clemson game" offense.

9 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

Glen, ask for a promotion.  You’re too smart for the mail room.

4 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Why can't they just start the season 0-2? I can dream can't I?

They're way more likely to start the season 1-3 than they are 0-1.

Unless they go full Michigan vs. App State and half their team gets blazed two hours before kickoff.  Stranger things have happened to aggy.

9 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I am coming around to the theory that Mond is a sacrificial lamb for Clemson and Bama. Starkel will play the bulk of the games once they scrape Mond's broken body from the sacred turf.

Clemson might take out 2 of their QBs.

9 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I am coming around to the theory that Mond is a sacrificial lamb for Clemson and Bama. Starkel will play the bulk of the games once they scrape Mond's broken body from the sacred turf.

Mond's escapability is their best hope against Clemson and Bama. Mond also may have the better ceiling (the Ags say he's been working on his passing to good effect under the Whisperer's instruction), so Jimbo may be thinking of the future.

If the Aggies are to have a bad season, it might be more fun if they have a four touchdown victory tomorrow. Hopes soar.

When they beat that mighty FCS team tomorrow night, I fully expect the 995 aggy spin machine to throw shade at Herman losing his first game and Jimbo winning his, no matter how ugly the win is.
Then extrapolate that to more future success. Power moves and all.

Clickity clack.

No way they lose to NWS.  NWS us picked like 9th in their own FCS division.

The Arky game is looking really big right now.

Aggy beats NWS, loses to Clemson, prob beats ULM, loses to Bama.

2-2 playing Arky.  They lose that game, they may crack and lose to KY (tossup), at USC (USC favored), at MSU (MSU favored), at Auburn (Auburn favored). They're now 2-7 with Miss at home, UAB, and LSU.  

No bowl, roller coaster looks like the one in Final Destination 3, and crazy Karen in jail for stabbing aggy's critical of Jimbo Baggins.

Glorious.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

No way they lose to NWS.  NWS us picked like 9th in their own FCS division.

The Arky game is looking really big right now.

Aggy beats NWS, loses to Clemson, prob beats ULM, loses to Bama.

2-2 playing Arky.  They lose that game, they may crack and lose to KY (tossup), at USC (USC favored), at MSU (MSU favored), at Auburn (Auburn favored). They're now 2-7 with Miss at home, UAB, and LSU.  

No bowl, roller coaster looks like the one in Final Destination 3, and crazy Karen in jail for stabbing aggy's critical of Jimbo Baggins.

Glorious.

No way Jimbo lets the team crack up. He has too much at stake to let aggy underperform.

Bwaaaaaaa hahahahahahaha!

You guys know how little I think of both EJ and Damon for the same basic reason, but Sayles put out an article today that made me laugh. 

Projecting A&M's depth chart for Week 1  (*note Aggy already published the actual official depth chart and there has already been several articles about it) 

I like that both the official depth chart AND Damon's projected depth chart include injured players. that's the attention to detail that both Jimbo and Damon are well known for ... 

The wait is over. The 2018 season kicks off Thursday night for the Texas A&M football team, as the Aggies open the season against Northwestern State under the lights of what's expected to be a raucous Kyle Field. And with the season opener, the Jimbo Fisher era officially begins on the football field.

Texas A&M played a young team last season, and the Aggies will enter Thursday's contest with eight offensive and eight defensive players who were starters in 2017. The team also has 50 returning letterwinners from last season, giving Fisher a lot of talent to work with during the season opener.

Spring workouts were grueling, and fall camp proved to be competitive, but with every practice and every workout, the Aggies are ready to put together a memorable first season for Fisher and the new Texas A&M coaching staff. A solid performance against Northwestern State will be a great precursor to next week's clash against Clemson, which will serve as a precursor to a monster SEC schedule.

The Aggies will look to earn their first SEC championship, but before that, the Aggies hope to get their 29th consecutive home victory over a nonconference opponent, a streak that dates back to 2008. Here are the current projections -- starters and immediate backups -- for Texas A&M's depth chart for Thursday. All projections are subject to change between now and Thursday evening.

QUARTERBACK
Starter: Kellen Mond, So., 6-2, 210
Backup: Nick Starkel, Sr., 6-3, 215

Analysis: For the second consecutive offseason, the Aggies had a very competitive quarterback battle between Mond and Starkel. Last season, Starkel got the start in the season opener against UCLA. This season, it'll be Mond who takes the first snaps against Northwestern State. GigEm247 on Tuesday learned that both players were told Mond would get the start Thursday, but both quarterbacks would get playing time. Consider Thursday a proper dress rehearsal for Mond and Starkel, as Fisher looks for a leader against Clemson and for the rest of the season.

RUNNING BACK
Starter: Trayveon Williams, Jr., 5-9, 200
Backup: Kwame Etwi, Sr., 5-9, 200

Analysis: Williams had something of a down season, statistically, as a sophomore, finishing with 798 yards and eight touchdowns after a freshman campaign where he was a 1,000-yard rusher. This could be a breakout season for Williams, as the Aggies are now in an offense that is expected to cater more to the run. Williams will be called on to shoulder the load in the backfield, but Etwi will look to be an impact player when his name is called. Etwi only had nine carries last season, so he'll have the option to show himself worthy early.

FULLBACK
Starter: Cullen Gillaspia, Sr., 6-2, 235
Backup: Ryan Renick, So., 6-2, 233

Analysis: If Williams has a breakout season, part of the reason will be because of the blocking of linebacker-turned-fullback Gillaspia. Texas A&M's "12th Man" has been lining up on the offensive side of the ball and is expected to be a catalyst in Fisher's offense. Gillaspia's leadership alone makes him one to watch, and his energy is infectious throughout the team. Renick is a converted tight end who had his moments during the Maroon and White Game. He caught a touchdown pass while playing for the White team.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Starters: Quartney Davis, So. 6-2, 200, or Camron Buckley, and Jhamon Ausbon, So., 6-2, 220
Backups: Kendrick Rogers, So., 6-3, 210, and Hezekiah Jones, So., 5-11, 194

Analysis: With Christian Kirk (Arizona Cardinals) and Damion Ratley (Cleveland Browns) both in the NFL, the Aggies will be looking for a playmaker in passing situations. Ausbon returns as the leader for the Aggies, statistically, as he had 50 catches for 571 yards and three touchdowns as a freshman. The season opener will be the perfect time for Davis, Buckley, Rogers and Jones to establish dominance and build confidence for Mond and/or Starkel.

TIGHT END
Starter: Jace Sternberger, Jr., 6-4, 250
Backup: Trevor Wood, Sr., 6-6, 265

Analysis: The tight end position is still one that some Texas A&M fans have to get used to, but if Fisher, offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey and tight ends coach Tim Brewster 
have their way, it will be one of the most important positions on the team throughout the season. Two new Aggies will see time. Sternberger is a junior college transfer who has shined since arriving in College Station. Wood is a graduate transfer from Arizona looking to make his final college season one to remember. Don't be surprised if the two are on the field at the same time.

CENTER
Starter: Erik McCoy, Jr., 6-4, 315
Backup: Ryan McCollum, So., 6-5, 295

Analysis: Of all the offensive linemen, McCoy may be the most consistent and the most reliable. He's most valuable as a center but also can line up at guard if necessary. McCollum is serviceable at any of the interior lineman positions, and he brings experience to the line. McCollum started seven out of the 13 games last season, including five in a row in SEC play.

OFFENSIVE GUARDS
Starters: Keaton Sutherland, Sr., 6-5, 315, and Jared Hocker, So., 6-5, 318
Backups: Colton Prater, Jr., 6-4, 300, and Connor Lanfear, Sr., 6-6, 320

Analysis: Sutherland is the lone senior starter on Texas A&M's offensive line. He played in and started 12 out of 13 games, only missing the game against Florida last season. While Sutherland holds down the left guard spot, Hocker is slated at the right guard spot. Hocker played in seven games last year and started two, including the Belk Bowl against Wake Forest.

OFFENSIVE TACKLES
Starters: Dan Moore, So., 6-5, 317, and Carson Green, So., 6-6, 300
Backups: Kellen Diesch, So., 6-5, 310, and Colten Blanton, Fr., 6-7, 285

Analysis: Moore will have the responsibility of patrolling Mond's blind side as the Aggies' left tackle. Green, who made big strides toward the end of last season, will make the start at right tackle. Green played in 12 games but started four last season, including the final three for the Aggies. Moore played in eight games and only started one last season, but he's had solid spring and fall camps and has won the coaching staff over.

DEFENSIVE ENDS
Starters: Landis Durham, Sr., 6-3, 255, and Kingsley Keke, Sr., 6-4, 305
Backups: Tyree Johnson, Fr., 6-4, 250, and Bobby Brown, Fr., 6-4, 282

Analysis: Of all the units, the defensive line could be Texas A&M's strongest asset, and the defensive ends are loaded this season. Durham was a sack master as a junior, finishing with 10.5 sacks along with 56 tackles. Keke moves from defensive tackle to defensive end. He's a 300-pounder with quickness and agility, and he returns to the field after a junior year with 54 tackles. When they need a break, the freshman tandem of Johnson and Brown aren't expected to miss a beat. Overall, it's a group that positional coach Terry Price is very excited about.

DEFENSIVE TACKLES
Starters: Justin Madubuike, So., 6-3, 300, and Daylon Mack, Sr., 6-1, 320

Backups: Jayden Peevy, So., 6-6, 300, and TD Moton, So., 6-3, 305

Analysis: Mack entered Texas A&M as a 5-star high school prospect, and as he prepares for his senior year, he's going to be called upon to be that 5-star talent. He and Madubuike are strong, bullish athletes who can clog the inside and make it difficult for run plays to develop. Collectively, Mack, Madubuike and Peevy have 56 tackles total, and Moton is coming off the squad team. This could be a breakout year for the defensive tackles; the Aggies will need them to be effective early and often.

STRONG-SIDE LINEBACKER
Starter: Tyrel Dodson, Jr., 6-2, 242
Backup: Riley Garner, Sr., 6-3, 220

Analysis: Dodson arguably is the best player not only on the Texas A&M defense but also the entire team. For whatever reason, Dodson's name was missing from various all-conference teams and defensive player watch lists. Consider this year as one for redemption for a player who led the team in total tackles (105) and assisted tackles (55) and was tied for first in pass breakups (8) and quarterback hurries (4). Dodson played all 13 games last season, but when he needs a break, Garner brings senior leadership and a high motor to the defense.

MIDDLE LINEBACKER
Starter: Otaro Alaka, Sr., 6-3, 240
Backup: Braden White, So., 5-11, 220

Analysis: Alaka has started 33 games for Texas A&M, including 26 in a row. He had a strong junior season that included 78 total tackles. As the Aggies take the field against Northwestern State, Alaka will need only three tackles to reach 200 for his career. He is the Aggies' leading active tackler by more than 60. Alaka was named to the Butkus Award watch list, which is awarded annually to the nation's top college linebacker. White as a backup is a scrappy athlete who made the most out of spare minutes last season.

ROVER
Starter: Buddy Johnson, So., 6-2, 225
Backup: Larry Pryor, Jr., 6-0, 212

Analysis: Listed on the depth chart as "weak-side linebacker," the rover spot will be one of great value in defensive coordinator Mike Elko's 4-2-5 defense. Anthony Hines was slated to be the original starter, but he has been ruled out of the opening game with what Fisher is calling a minor injury. When Hines isn't on the field, Johnson and Pryor are equally gifted at the position. Pryor played in 12 games last season and had 44 tackles. Johnson played in 12 games and had 20 tackles. Look for Johnson to get the nod in Week 1, but expect both players to get significant game time.

CORNERBACKS
Starters: Charles Oliver, Jr., 6-2, 202, and Debione Renfro, So., 6-2, 193
Backups: Roney Elam, Jr., 6-2, 192, and Myles Jones, So., 6-4, 185

Analysis: Oliver and Renfro return to the starting lineup after a productive 2017. Renfro is one of the leading active tacklers with 41 solo tackles and 54 total tackles. Renfro played in all 13 games, while Oliver competed in 11 and finished with 24 total tackles -- 20 of those being solo. Oliver also showed his ball-hawking skills by tying for the team lead in pass breakups with eight. This could be a season where Jones regains momentum after seeing a lot of playing time last year. Jones played in all 13 games last year and had 35 tackles and eight pass breakups, along with an interception.

SAFETIES
Starters: Donovan Wilson, Sr., 6-1, 207, and Derrick Tucker, So., 6-1, 200
Backups: DeShawn Capers-Smith, Sr., 6-0, 200, Keldrick Carper, So., 6-2, 198, or Leon O'Neal Jr., Fr., 6-1, 190

Analysis: For the first time in four seasons, the Aggies will be without the services of Armani Watts, who is making a name for himself in the NFL with the Kansas City Chiefs. The secondary will be looking for a playmaker, and Wilson and Tucker will have every opportunity to shine for Fisher and Elko. Tucker had 10 tackles or more in three games last season. He and Renfro combined for 109 tackles and nine pass breakups last season. Capers-Smith and Carper saw valuable playing time in 2017, and O'Neal comes to the team with high expectations.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kicker: Daniel LaCamera, Sr., 6-4, 230
Punter: Braden Mann, Jr., 5-11, 190

Analysis: LaCamera led the team last season with 105 total points. He made 18 of 21 field goals and connected on 51 of 52 extra points. Of his 18 made field goals, five came from at least 40 yards, including a season long of 52 yards. Mann will handle punting duties with the departure of Shane Tripucka, who is currently fighting for a roster spot with the Los Angeles Chargers. Mann also will be called on as a kickoff specialist.