2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

Helles people, Helles is the ticket for "good" summer beer. An ice cold Spaten or Weihenstephaner or Hofbrauhaus fucking slams in the heat. St. Arnold Summer Pils is real good too. Or sure, just your favorite watery macro-style beer. You won't go wrong with a frosty Red Stripe or something.

Edited by Thermos H. Christ
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, bar said:

Tequila and soda when available. When you must drink out of a cooler, the topo chico, shiner, or corona hard seltzers are pretty good for drinking in the sun and on boats. They're not as aggressively sweet as the truly brand.

username checks out

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Helles people, Helles is the ticket for "good" summer beer. An ice cold Spaten or Weihenstephaner or Hofbrauhaus fucking slams in the heat. St. Arnold Summer Pils is real good too. Or sure, just your favorite watery macro-style beer. You won't go wrong with a frosty Red Stripe or something.

This might be the most accurate thing said on this thread so far 😎

3 hours ago, Getafix said:

The Insider: Offensive depth chart coming together
CHIP BROWN

Reveal hidden contents

The Insider: Offensive depth chart coming together
CHIP BROWN

Texas is simulating game week this week right down to staying together as a team in a hotel on Friday night.

Every position on offense knows who the starters are based on a two-deep roster put together by the coaches last weekend - every position except quarterback.

Sources said the starting receivers will be Jordan Whittington, Joshua Moore and Xavier Worthy - the three best receivers all of fall camp.

The starting offensive line will be Christian Jones at left tackle, Denzel Okafor at left guard, Jake Majors at center, Junior Angilau at right guard and Derek Kerstetter at right tackle.

Cade Brewer is the starting tight end/H-back, and Bijan Robinson is the starting running back.

Every position except quarterback.

Practice reps on Wednesday were evenly divided between redshirt freshman Hudson Card, who worked first with the No. 1 offense, and redshirt junior Casey Thompson. Thompson didn’t split any second-team reps with true freshman Charles Wright on Wednesday after doing so the previous two days in practice.

Sources said Thompson had one of his better practices on Wednesday and that Thompson, after suffering a rash of interceptions at the beginning of camp and in the first fall camp scrimmage (two), has been protecting the ball much better since then.

Thompson threw for two touchdowns and ran for another in last Saturday’s scrimmage, while Card threw for one touchdown and ran for two scores. Neither quarterback turned the ball over in the second scrimmage.

The fact Card has been the first quarterback to work with the No. 1 offense the past two weeks, and the team is already working on the game plan for Louisiana in practice, would indicate that Sarkisian is preparing to name Card as his starter.

Sources said Sarkisian hasn’t spoken with his quarterbacks yet about who will be the starter.

But there is a real possibility Thompson would pack up and leave school if Card is named the starter after Thompson, who is coming off a glowing performance in last season’s Alamo Bowl, waited and worked for three seasons for the opportunity to start.

Sources said Sarkisian is aware that Thompson might leave if Card is named the starter, and that Sarkisian “is concerned” about that possibility.

Multiple sources said Wright isn’t anywhere close to being ready for game action if he ended up as Card’s backup and something happened to Card.

GETTING TO KNOW HUDSON CARD

Steve Sarkisian and Jeff Banks recruited and offered a scholarship to Hudson Card while they were at Alabama. Card ended up accepting a scholarship from Texas and shutting down his recruitment. Alabama ended up with five-star Bryce Young who is expected to be the Tide’s starting quarterback this season.

But there is familiarity between Sarkisian and Card that dates back to Card’s days at Lake Travis High School.

Austin Westlake coach Todd Dodge remembers a lanky seventh and eighth grader named Hudson Card coming up from Houston to attend Dodge’s summer quarterback camp.

“I remember thinking wherever that kid ends up for high school, they ought to be really happy to have him,” Dodge said of Card. “And then, low and behold, he (Card) moves from Houston and ends up at Lake Travis, our biggest rival.”

Card’s games against Westlake his junior and senior years represented the low and high of his high school career, respectively.

As a junior against Westlake, the Chaparrals brought constant blitz pressure, and Card threw two interceptions and had two other pickoffs negated by Westlake penalties in a 44-14 loss.

As a senior against Westlake, Card suffered a bad case of turf toe in the first half, yet gutted it out and played in the second half, leading Lake Travis to a come-from-behind, 26-25 victory on a 10-yard touchdown pass from Card to Grayson Sandlin.

“That’s the only game we’ve lost in the last 30 games,” said Dodge, whose team is the two-time defending 6A Division II state champion.

“That performance by Hudson was a tribute to his toughness, because, if he doesn’t return after halftime, we probably win the game. But he extended plays, made plays and beat us by a point.

“We always tell our players, ‘Don’t ever be afraid to show your teammates your toughness.’ And we came away from that game with a lot of respect for Hudson.”

Card missed the next six games his senior season while recovering from the turf toe injury before returning to the field and taking down Converse Judson (and five-star defensive lineman Demarvin Leal) in the playoffs.

Dodge, a former Longhorns’ starting quarterback, said his current Westlake quarterback - Cade Klubnik - reminds him of Card.

“They’re both lanky, can really throw it and both can run a hole in the wind as a quarterback,” Dodge said. “To me, that’s a compliment to Cade that he compares to Hudson, who is at a big-time program like Texas.”

Dodge said he’s a fan of Card’s skillset.

“I don’t know how Hudson has been doing at Texas,” Dodge said. “But as a play caller, you like his versatility as a quarterback who can throw from the pocket and on the run, making plays off schedule.”

Lake Travis coach Hank Carter said Longhorn Nation is about to appreciate Card as a top-level quarterback.

“I don’t know if Hudson gets the respect he deserves,” Carter said. “But he’s about to. Some people said he’d end up a receiver at Texas, and I said, ‘He’ll never touch the field as a receiver at Texas. He’s going to be the quarterback.’

“He’s a super smart kid, incredibly mentally tough, super athletic and commands respect from his teammates,” Carter said. “When he’s on the field, his teammates are probably thinking, ‘We’re going to win,’ because of how confident and competitive he is.”

Because Lake Travis had Matthew Baldwin at quarterback in Card’s sophomore year, Card played receiver. Carter said Card played the last eight games of his sophomore year with a broken bone in his left wrist.

“We didn’t know, because he never said anything,” Carter said. “Then, in the state playoffs, he put this wrap on it, and we had it X-rayed, and it was broken. He’s a tough, tough kid.”

Card has worked with personal quarterback coach Brad Stanfield, who says Card's biggest improvement has come in three specific areas:

No.1 Accuracy within the offense, No. 2 his footwork and No. 3 throwing on the move from an array of arm angles.

Some have described Card as quiet. Carter said, "I don't think he's a quiet kid. I think he's a competitor. He knows as a quarterback, words really matter, that teammates listen, and he definitely doesn't want to bring any added attention to himself outside of what's necessary. Teammates love him."

FLU BUG WORKING ITS WAY THROUGH TEAM

A flu-type virus (not COVID-19) has been working its way through the Texas locker room the past week.

Receiver Xavier Worthy had it and missed last Wednesday’s open practice, then backup punter Isaac Pearson missed Saturday’s scrimmage because of it.

And then cornerbacks Josh Thompson and D'Shawn Jamison and safety B.J. Foster had it, missing time in practice earlier this week.

“It’s been a concern for sure,” a team source said.

INJURY UPDATE ON TIGHT END BRAYDEN LIEBROCK
Sophomore tight end Brayden Liebrock (6-4, 228) has a torn labrum in his right shoulder and will require surgery that could end his season, a team source told Horns247.

The injury came as Liebrock, a third-year sophomore, had gotten off to a good start in fall camp, the source said.

“In the offense, the two-tight-end sets call for a tight end and also call for more of an H-back,” the source said. “Cade Brewer plays the H-back role, and Liebrock also plays the H-back role well.

“(Jared) Wiley is too tall to play that H-back role, and the freshmen tight ends are still learning, so Liebrock probably would’ve gotten a lot of time in that H-back role. His injury is a blow.”

Remember that FCB is butt buddies with Casey Thompson’s dad, so that’s where all his info comes from. If he’s saying there’s a possibility Thompson transfers, it’s because his dad passed that along.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Remember that FCB is butt buddies with Casey Thompson’s dad, so that’s where all his info comes from. If he’s saying there’s a possibility Thompson transfers, it’s because his dad passed that along.

Couldn't it also be that FCB is charging people $9.95 to hear total speculation about what is obvious? "If the younger QB wins the competition, then the older QB might transfer." You don't need an inside source for that scoop.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Ohio State has been the best at keeping a QB room of multiple 5 star QBs. It’s awfully sus how they usually don’t transfer out

Maybe we need add a burnt ends program solely for non-starting scholarship QB's in the QB room.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Winning and getting players drafted tends to reduce the transferring...

This. Mac Jones and Justin Fields have shown that you don't need 3+ years of wear-and-tear college ball to get drafted. You just need 1-2 years of really slinging it in a good program to go in the first round. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eggo said:

This. Mac Jones and Justin Fields have shown that you don't need 3+ years of wear-and-tear college ball to get drafted. You just need 1-2 years of really slinging it in a good program to go in the first round. 

hell, you can just xfer to ou, and run the puppies and jesus hater offense.

4 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Oh give it a rest, you're just being contrarian. IPAs of various styles are great, but that's not the beer you want when you're in the scorching sun throwing them back like water. I enjoy a nice glass of scotch too, but I'm not going to reach for it during an outdoor activity in 100 degree heat just so nobody can question my machismo.

milk was a bad choice GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Oh give it a rest, you're just being contrarian. IPAs of various styles are great, but that's not the beer you want when you're in the scorching sun throwing them back like water. I enjoy a nice glass of scotch too, but I'm not going to reach for it during an outdoor activity in 100 degree heat just so nobody can question my machismo.

I remember my first greenspoint hyperbolic shitpost
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Some of you haven’t tried Cigar City’s IPA called Jai Alai and it shows

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’ve said since the beginning of camp that we’ll know the starter on game day against ULL. Sark wants any competitive advantage he can get no matter how slight 

the only tape ULL could possibly be looking at is Alabama to see Sark's offense. It doesn't make any difference which QB plays.

Oh, bunch of fancy fuckers in here, huh? Well, color me redneck, I guess. My drink of choice in the heat is an ice cold Busch Latte. You can drink about 47 of them before you need to stop and eat a burger or hot dog and then you're good to go for another 26 before you have to throw up said burger or hot dog. I call it the Circle of Life. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

Oh, bunch of fancy fuckers in here, huh? Well, color me redneck, I guess. My drink of choice in the heat is an ice cold Busch Latte. You can drink about 47 of them before you need to stop and eat a burger or hot dog and then you're good to go for another 26 before you have to throw up said burger or hot dog. I call it the Circle of Life. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47rc81deh4fe1603cao6

/s

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, immamac said:

Does anyone work with alcohol people that could sponsor the surly tailgate. We need to decisively decide which beer is the best for drinking on a hot summer day during football season. 

Sounds like a job for @Steel Shank

Speaking of Surly tailgate, where is the tailgate for the Louisiana game going to be?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

If this is Helles, I'm a big fan...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47oycj9g04xhv683hh69

• Drool 6

2 hours ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

Warsteiner Pilsner fits nicely in this category as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Yep. A simple ranch water (the drink not the brand) does the job in that scenario.

Good that it isn’t the Ranch brand. Their beans run through ya way too quick. Hate to see how their water does. 

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

Phrasing.  He may have chosen one, but not named him.  Whatevs.  Hurry up September 4th!

I’m noticing more and more how Sark is weaving his way through media questions. He’s knights/rooks above these guys’ red/black chips. 

40 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

I just threw up in my mouth a little. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Leinenkugal's summer shandy for me when it's super hot.  Yeah- drinking a dark beer, which is my preference when it's 8 billion degrees outside, is just an awful idea.  

...kugel's.

Love me some Leinie - I've some in-law-type family in Wis and Minn, summer Leinies fondly remembered.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

There's no way that Austin humidity in early September will be below 50%.  It's going to fucking suck, and there's not enough Coor's Light to keep everyone hydrated.

Dc Comics Batman GIF by HBO Max

The ultimate for the beer snob/craft beer types to show up and flex.

In a crowded, hot stadium I'm going to the shortest line for cooold beer.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Bruh fuck Chip Brown

Also, if Thompson wants to go to USC and be cursed oh fucking well. The only dude I'm rooting for out West is Ingram, he just had a shit-ton of bad luck here and I hope he gets drafted still.

I still think Thompson is going to win the job, he's getting put behind Card now just to make him work to win the job.

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Bruh fuck Chip Brown

Also, if Thompson wants to go to USC and be cursed oh fucking well. The only dude I'm rooting for out West is Ingram, he just had a shit-ton of bad luck here and I hope he gets drafted still.

I still think Thompson is going to win the job, he's getting put behind Card now just to make him work to win the job.

Lol..what? Was it bad luck that he dropped the td pass against Lsu? Or bad luck that he fumbled at the goal line against tcu? Bruh.... Ingram lost the starting job because of not so great play... not because of "bad luck".

Edited by Lou_Sassle
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah that’s not entirely true. How many times in the past decade did we face a backup QB that came in and played well against us? It was pretty often, and a big reason is we didn’t practice for that QB. Now, Card and Thompson are not vastly different styles, but it’s enough to alter your prep a bit

This guy gets it. There’s no doubt their prep for two QBs with a combined half of college ball in a brand new system is going to be vastly different. They might as well throw out the whole week of practice if they guess the wrong starter. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1