2021 Fall Camp Thread - Bend Over & I’ll Continue Showing You

BurntOrange&White

Is it really that big of an advantage to force Louisiana to prepare for both QBs?  Hudson has played sparingly in garbage time.  Casey has a whole half in a bowl game under a different offense.  Either QB starting shouldn't affect Louisiana's preparation all that much.
Edit:  Hiphopopotamos beat me to it.
There's another angle to this. Right now all the attention is focused on Sark and his decision. That keeps the media frenzy and immediate second-guessing off whoever his starting QB is going to be. Both guys get to prepare in relative quiet. That, and fuck Louisiana... They don't set our agenda.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Can someone tell me how Louisiana is going to prepare any differently for Card than they would Casey?  This is a new offense and the QB's have no tape.  

how much of this is convincing whoever loses the competition that it was close, the other guy edged you out by a nose and you will have an opportunity to play and put out some tape this year no matter what (injury, blowouts, etc)

vs someone feeling like you picked the other guy, it was never close, you didn't have a chance --> then you portal on 9/1/21

1 hour ago, Tex48 said:

If its only at 39%, 99 degrees is fine.  If its like 60% or above, people are going to be dropping like flies.  

There's no way that Austin humidity in early September will be below 50%.  It's going to fucking suck, and there's not enough Coor's Light to keep everyone hydrated.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, South Austin said:

There's no way that Austin humidity in early September will be below 50%.  It's going to fucking suck, and there's not enough Coor's Light to keep everyone hydrated.

I agree.  I feel like that high of heat is going to screw up my drinking plans since I'm going to the game and don't want to die in the sun.  I'm tired of having to wear bucket hats to September games because its hot as shit.  

31 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

He would have to sit a year regardless at this point right? We are beyond the deadline for that waived requirement. Can graduates just roll up into another team immediately during season?

He doesn’t need the Covid waiver because he’s a grad transfer so he doesn’t have to sit a year if he enrolls in a grad program that UT doesn’t offer. 
But I’m not sure how the rules work re transferring after the fall semester has already started. I think there maybe a rule that you can’t play until the next academic term even if you get the one year requirement waived. 

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Luckily we are deep at TE, very unfortunate for him though the odds of him ever contributing at Texas are slim to none now. JT and Gunnar Helm are about to have their opportunity to make an immediate impact. 

Ehhh. We have a lot of bodies in the TE room, but all the backups are now true freshman, and I’m not sure any of them are ready for a lot of playing time from a blocking standpoint. If one of Wiley or Brewer go down, utilizing 12 personnel will become much, much tricker for Sark because he’s going to have to protect the true freshman re blocking assignments. 

Using coors light as anything other than something to splash in your face to cool down means you deserve to stroke out in the heat. It's sparkling water with a couple drops beer flavoring...should be handed out free.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Just now, ousux said:
26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Using coors light as anything other than something to splash in your face to cool down means you deserve to stroke out in the heat. It's sparkling water with a couple drops beer flavoring...should be handed out free.

counter-point, drinking an IPA or other heavy-ish beer in that kind of heat sucks ass. Pound the cheap ones!

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ehhh. We have a lot of bodies in the TE room, but all the backups are now true freshman, and I’m not sure any of them are ready for a lot of playing time from a blocking standpoint. If one of Wiley or Brewer go down, utilizing 12 personnel will become much, much tricker for Sark because he’s going to have to protect the true freshman re blocking assignments. 

i'd think more 21 or 11 is likely if one of those top two TE's gets hurt than trying to make 12 work.  In 21 you would have flexibility with someone like Keilan Robinson that could start in the backfield and flex out in the slot.

Are you sure that's not 89%? Seems low. Still Hot AF

Humidity is relative. Warm air holds more water. 39 percent humidity at a temp of 99 is plenty uncomfortable.

That said, confidence is increasing that this tropical system will track toward LA, and may have the chance to intensify into a major hurricane. West of a major hurricane typically ends up hot as fuck and dry.

Just now, Enchubben said:

i'd think more 21 or 11 is likely if one of those top two TE's gets hurt than trying to make 12 work.  In 21 you would have flexibility with someone like Keilan Robinson that could start in the backfield and flex out in the slot.

That’s the whole point. By all accounts, Sark wants to run a ton of 12 personnel. With Liebrock out, it gets very difficult to run Sark’s preferred personnel package if one of our starters get hurt. 

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
30 minutes ago, South Austin said:

On a hot day?

ClutteredSparseHerculesbeetle-size_restr

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s the whole point. By all accounts, Sark wants to run a ton of 12 personnel. With Liebrock out, it gets very difficult to run Sark’s preferred personnel package if one of our starters get hurt. 

Agree just pointing out - I think there was some commentary in recent articles somewhere that showed he wants to do what the current roster does best. That may be 12 personnel with a healthy brewer and wiley.  Without those two healthy - we may shift gears and it probably won't be inserting a freshman TE or more 4 WR sets as we are also shallow at WR talent.

Edited by Enchubben

Just now, Enchubben said:

Agree just pointing out - I think there was some commentary in recent articles somewhere that showed he wants to do what the current roster does best. That may be 12 personnel with a healthy brewer and wiley.  Without those two healthy - we may shift gears and it likely wouldn't be more 4 WR sets as we are also shallow at WR talent.

Yeah, I think we’d be fine in 11 personnel if all three of Moore, Whitt, and Worthy are available, but we don’t really have much depth there, either. So if one of those guys go down and one of our TEs, things will start to get tricky.
Bringing it full circle, we really need Thompson to stay, otherwise QB will also be a spot with 0 depth. 

38 minutes ago, NoName said:

how much of this is convincing whoever loses the competition that it was close, the other guy edged you out by a nose and you will have an opportunity to play and put out some tape this year no matter what (injury, blowouts, etc)

vs someone feeling like you picked the other guy, it was never close, you didn't have a chance --> then you portal on 9/1/21

They should bring in the $9.95ers as consultants, to convey the message.

("You guys were neck and neck as you exchanged blows!  It was a heavyweight battle.  Sark was in tears as he drew up the depth chart!")

15 hours ago, oldhorn2 said:

I don’t know shit from Kai Money.....but maybe the greatest receiver ever...Jerry Rice was not big or fast....just open always

Jerry Rice is 6-2" and you never saw anyone catch him from behind.  The myth about Jerry Rice being slow is BS.  He ran a slow 4.71 40 at the combine, but had been timed in the 4.5s by scouts, coaches, etc...  He claims he didn't know how to run a 40 and always had slow starts. 

In summary, even though Kai Money is probably better than Jerry Rice, Jerry Rice was both big and fast.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

The amount of whining that goes on on this site about the subtlest hint of digressive humor is hilarious. Surly is full of smart people and a few idiots all trying to have a good time. The nonsense is like the raisins in Irish soda bread. Sure, it'd probably be better without them, but it's fucking tradition so eat up. Lighten up, Francises. It's nearly fucking football time. 

You're missing it... Whining is part of the digressive humor...  Can you imagine SydneyCarton shutting the fuck up about how stupid we are?

If you can, you have not met SydneyCarton.  When he shuts up about shuttin up, it's actually humorous.

37 minutes ago, Eggo said:

On a hot day?

ClutteredSparseHerculesbeetle-size_restr

Tequila and soda when available. When you must drink out of a cooler, the topo chico, shiner, or corona hard seltzers are pretty good for drinking in the sun and on boats. They're not as aggressively sweet as the truly brand.

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Yeah that’s not entirely true. How many times in the past decade did we face a backup QB that came in and played well against us? It was pretty often, and a big reason is we didn’t practice for that QB. Now, Card and Thompson are not vastly different styles, but it’s enough to alter your prep a bit

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Luckily we are deep at TE, very unfortunate for him though the odds of him ever contributing at Texas are slim to none now. JT and Gunnar Helm are about to have their opportunity to make an immediate impact. 

Juan Davis too. All 3 Texas took in the 2021 class are looking like hits right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Culture should dictate an open and honest assessment of where everyone is, how they fit into the roster, what they need to work on to improve, and a plan of how to get there. Anything else is just hot air and empty words. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

Culture should dictate an open and honest assessment of where everyone is, how they fit into the roster, what they need to work on to improve, and a plan of how to get there. Anything else is just hot air and empty words. 

Ohio State has been the best at keeping a QB room of multiple 5 star QBs. It’s awfully sus how they usually don’t transfer out

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It’s interesting how Casey went from being delegated to strictly 2nd team reps, to splitting 2nd teams reps with a freshman, and then back to the splitting first team reps. I wonder if Sark put him in the dog house for throwing all those interceptions to that Caucasian linebacker. 

10 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yeah that’s not entirely true. How many times in the past decade did we face a backup QB that came in and played well against us? It was pretty often, and a big reason is we didn’t practice for that QB. Now, Card and Thompson are not vastly different styles, but it’s enough to alter your prep a bit

a bigger reason is that our defense has been steamy santorum for the past decade

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve said since the beginning of camp that we’ll know the starter on game day against ULL. Sark wants any competitive advantage he can get no matter how slight 
I like the strategy, but dont think it will make much difference in how LaLaff (yes, they could change their name to Harvardeux and I'll still call them LaLaff) game preps. Guess it could be a psyche thing not knowing which one will be out there, but minimal in this case.

Ohio State has been the best at keeping a QB room of multiple 5 star QBs. It’s awfully sus how they usually don’t transfer out
They got a jumpstart on NIL type stuff

Except it was years ago and no players name, image or likeness was part of the deal.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

counter-point, drinking an IPA or other heavy-ish beer in that kind of heat sucks ass. Pound the cheap ones!

Leinenkugal's summer shandy for me when it's super hot.  Yeah- drinking a dark beer, which is my preference when it's 8 billion degrees outside, is just an awful idea.  

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 1

Tequila and soda when available. When you must drink out of a cooler, the topo chico, shiner, or corona hard seltzers are pretty good for drinking in the sun and on boats. They're not as aggressively sweet as the truly brand.

Yep. A simple ranch water (the drink not the brand) does the job in that scenario.
  • Hook 'Em 3