2021 Texas State Fair Food Finalists

GreenspointTexas

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

I heard from my buddy who owns the 6 ticket beer stand (Icehouse on Midway) that SFOT has changed ticket prices from $.50 to $1.00.  Apparently there's also a lot of pressure from vendors to bump minimum beer prices to $5 each.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBKtKIjGmyL9G1dLJyGkc

Wait. Does that mean they made the prior year tickets invalid? I have always used a couple from past years...

40 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I heard from my buddy who owns the 6 ticket beer stand (Icehouse on Midway) that SFOT has changed ticket prices from $.50 to $1.00.  Apparently there's also a lot of pressure from vendors to bump minimum beer prices to $5 each.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBKtKIjGmyL9G1dLJyGkc

There's always been pressure to increase minimum beer price.  Our friends own Bailey's in the Food Pavilion, and they typically have the cheapest in that building, despite every other vendor in there hounding them for it.  It's up to the vendors who want to sell more beer to just say no.

Here's a link to the actual State Fair website which has pictures of all of them, not sure the DMN article had every pic.

https://bigtex.com/plan-your-visit/food/big-tex-choice-awards/

I'm in for the Crispy Crazy Corn, the Deep Fried Seafood Gumbo Balls, and the Brisket Brittle.

The Deep-Fried Halloween just looks like a complete mess, which means my kids will probably love it.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

No love for the pork shots? Sausage wrapped in bacon stuffed with mac and chee?  Hell yes, Imma try that one. I'm a little disappointed none of us assholes who contribute to the Steel Shank tread have come up with that one.

And the Crispy Crazy Corn sounds and looks tasty as well.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Somebody from Stiles Switch hopped into a discussion on the Texas BBQ FB group (I think that was the one) that says they make Brisket Brittle there from time to time.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

Somebody from Stiles Switch hopped into a discussion on the Texas BBQ FB group (I think that was the one) that says they make Brisket Brittle there from time to time.

My family always makes a variety of nut brittles at Christmastime.  After I sample the Brisket Brittle at the State Fair, if it's tasty, I might make that my contribution for the Holidays this year.

Mandatory Tier
Crispy Crazy Corn
Deep Fried I-35
Pork Shots
Lucky Duck Dumplin
Brisket Brittle
Pumpkin Poke Cake
Toffee Coffee Crunch Cake

Certainly would eat the Armadillo, but seems just "standard." Interested for sure in the Gumbo Balls, but wary of State Fair Seafood Coopin Inflation price there. The Deep Fried Halloween is one of those things like a funnel cake sundae, where sharing with 3 other people is glorious, but eating it alone will be a day-stopper. So that will be pending my group's tastes and decisions.

Can not WAIT.

• 3 weeks later...

Winners. 

The State Fair of Texas named the winners of the best new foods this year.

The winner of the Big Tex Choice award for sweet foods went to The Armadillo. 

It’s a semi-frozen cookie butter ice cream sandwich in the shape of an armadillo that’s been deep fried and dusted with buttery sugar. The taste is velvety, creamy and delightful, according to the creator.

The Deep Fried Seafood Gumbo Balls won the most creative and the best taste for the savory dishes.

According to the creator, the savory treat uses a family recipe that has been handed down for four generations and represents the true essence of New Orleans.

The balls are loaded with chicken, shrimp, crab meat and andouille sausage, rolled in a saltine cracker and breadcrumb batter and then deep fried. They’re served with a side of gumbo roux sauce, fried okra, saltine crackers and hot sauce.

The winners were chosen from a selection of 10 finalists that also included Crispy Crazy Corn, Deep Fried I-35, Lucky Duck Dumplings and Pork Shots on the savory side.

The finalists for the sweet category also included Brisket Brittle, Deep Fried Halloween, Coffee Crunch Cake and Texas Pumpkin Poke Cake.

The State Fair of Texas opens its gates on Sept. 24.

Masks will be required for most people, but proof of vaccination is not.

spacer.png

Damn, son. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saddle up the defibrillator, there’s a new Texas-sized burger in town.

Rodeo Goat Ice House is honoring the State Fair of Texas with the “Big Tex,” a massive “over-the-top burger” that includes a chicken-fried mashed potato cake, bacon, fried onion ring and chorizo gravy, according to the restaurant. The burger will be available from Sept. 21 through Oct. 18.

It goes for $12.50. Defib sold separately.

The original Rodeo Goat in Fort Worth is located at 2836 Bledsoe St. There are also locations in Houston, Dallas, Plano, Rockwall and Cypress Waters, near Valley Ranch.

spacer.png

Edited by shadow_operative2.0
Shit, I read that as they’ll have a booth at the Fair. My bad.

There's always been pressure to increase minimum beer price.  Our friends own Bailey's in the Food Pavilion, and they typically have the cheapest in that building, despite every other vendor in there hounding them for it.  It's up to the vendors who want to sell more beer to just say no.

Small world. R & T live down the street from me
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, luke duke said:

Small world. R & T live down the street from me

They're great people.  We're been friends with their son who lives here in Austin for over 20 years, their kids and ours are constant playmates. Small world indeed.

I assume I'll see you hanging out at Bailey's in a couple weeks, then?  You'll no doubt be able to recognize me, I'll be the one wearing burnt orange and drinking wax cup Shiner.

One nice bit of news that came out today is that although tickets this year have gone from 50 cents to a dollar each, prior years' tickets (which cost only 50 cents) will be honored as full current tickets.  We always end up with extra tickets each year.  So I've got that going for me.  Which is nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

One nice bit of news that came out today is that although tickets this year have gone from 50 cents to a dollar each, prior years' tickets (which cost only 50 cents) will be honored as full current tickets.  We always end up with extra tickets each year.  So I've got that going for me.  Which is nice.

Wow, that's good to know.  I always have a few handfuls of extras that get stuffed into the glove box or RV drawers and whatnot.  I'll have to dig them out, and DOUBLE my money!

On 8/12/2021 at 2:56 PM, utee94 said:

My family always makes a variety of nut brittles at Christmastime.  After I sample the Brisket Brittle at the State Fair, if it's tasty, I might make that my contribution for the Holidays this year.

Brisket Brittle is damn tasty.   I’ve had it recently from a Honkey Tonk Kid BBQ in Waco.  Great flavor.   

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:18 PM, TXSooner518 said:

haha we had about $140 in coopins from 2019, so now we have $280 in coopins.

And the bad news is that lots of places left the ticket "prices" the same as 2019, so basically most everything doubled in price (e.g., Fletchers is asking $8 for a 10 oz beer).

However you can still get $3 beer at the Beer Barn (my six ticket beer and now three ticket beer buddy's place) right outside the main Cotton Bowl entrance.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Glad to hear he didn't give in to the pressure!  We are going to the fair the night before the game in addition this year, to be able to try more stuff without being totally miserable, and hopefully less crowd, so we will be sending him plenty of business. 

Ever since we've had kids, we go up Thursday night, then take them to the Fair all day Friday when the lines are far less crazy, and hit all the rides and food booths that we really want. That way our Saturday can be more strategic and work around the game.

• Like 1