Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I don't think Loreal is exactly missing critical game planning meetings to do this.

Now does it point to the general shittiness of LHN content? Yes.

Speaking of…if there is a Football God, let’s pray he’s got a “strategy” for what to do with Lowell Galindo once we finally jettison this dried up conference

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, turtlepond said:

Speaking of…if there is a Football God, let’s pray he’s got a “strategy” for what to do with Lowell Galindo once we finally jettison this dried up conference

i assume it is to eject him directly into the sun

...but it probably ends up that he becomes the "Texas insider" for SEC Network or something like that

Edited by NoName

Steve Sarkisian was available to the media following Thursday practice via Zoom. Here are a few notes. Will add the video later.

Sarkisian: "I think the sign of a true competitor is how you respond to adversity, and our team has responded extremely well. We've had a really quality week of work, and we knew we needed it because we're playing a heck of an opponent Saturday. Oklahoma State is a very good football team. Well coached. Tough, hardnosed team. They make you earn it. We needed a quality week of work, which I think we were able to get done this week."

Mentions with the OL, Derek Kerstetter is more comfortable at right tackle. Mentions Tope Imade has "earned his time" at right guard. "He's put in a lot of time and worked at it." (I'll have more on Imade later this week).

Sarkisian: "Tackling is paramount. Our ability to get people on the ground at the end of the day is critical." -- Said avoiding and breaking tackles also important, in addition to an emphasis this week on winning 50/50 balls on defense and limiting the quarterback's ability to escape. Again, mentions stopping off-schedule plays.

On this being the last game before the bye: "I'd much rather be playing this week than not. When you have the way our game went last week, the best thing you can do is get back on the horse and start riding again. I think this is the perfect scenario for us. We've got a quality opponent coming to town, undefeated team, top 12 team in the country. They immediately got everybody's attention, and allows us to get right back to work and do what we do."

With Jordan Whittington out, Sarkisian mentions Marcus Washington may slide into his role. "You still have (Xavier Worthy) and Josh Moore, and it's a great opportunity for Kelvontay Dixon, not to mention (Al'vonte) Woodard and Kai Money. Great opportunities at that spot, and looking forward to seeing guys step up."

Sarkisian on scoring before halftime: "We take a lot of pride in that. We practice that quite a bit. I think our players are really comfortable in that setting and understanding what we're trying to do." -- Said the first priority is to make that the last possession of the half so they can "double up" if they are getting the ball out of halftime, and also to prevent the opponent from having that opportunity.

Sarkisian on if he expects Whittington back this year: "I think we're going to rehab Jordan and play it by ear. It'd be great to get him back, whether it's a possible Big 12 championship or bowl game. I know he wants to work back. I just saw him. He looks good, but it's a bone and we've got to see how that heals. We'll see how long it takes."

Sarkisian on the Oklahoma State defense: "A couple of things jump out to me the more I've watched them throughout the week. First of all, recognizing this is a really veteran defense. They are seniors across the board. They've been in a college weight room program for 4-5 years. They're a bigger, physical team. They're more mature physically and mentally. You can tell they've been in the system. They communicate well with one another. Ultimately, they make you earn it. They really don't give you freebies." -- "They play really, really hard."

Sarkisian on if his defense is playing physical enough: "I think we're playing plenty physical. We've had great stretches of stopping the run and affecting the quarterback. At the end of the day, you have to get people on the ground. You can play as physical as you want, but if you miss the tackle that's not a successful play."

Sarkisian on Alfred Collins, says he provides something a little different at JACK: "He's a 305-pound man playing defensive end." -- Says he's shown pass rush ability to win one-on-ones.

Sarkisian on the big recruiting weekend: "The game is priority No. 1. We work too hard not to invest the time needed to make sure that we perform at a high level, that's myself included." -- "Clearly there's a lot of opportunities to recruit. There's windows. There's blocks of time." -- Mentions again how 11 am kicks give them time in the afternoon and evening to interact with recruits, but "the ballgame itself is priority No. 1."

20 hours ago, MIkeHoncho said:

longshot, but here's my parallel after Saturday.  

10/9/99, bag o'dicks 1st year as coach @ ou.  ou jumps up 17-0 in 1st qtr, Texas outmuscles ou the rest of the way to win 38-28.  Big lead for first year HC with a team that had been down (John Blake anyone?), then the favorite and better team gets their shit together and wins the game.  Fast forward to the next year and ou starts beating the shit out of us on the reg.

Maybe, just maybe, Saturday was just Sark and PK getting a feel for the spectacle that is TX / ou, and we go on a run staring with the Big12 Championship game.  Call me a dreamer, but I'm thinking Sark is a good fit and just needs more players on D and O-line to really get things humming. 

Before I saw that Aggy posting that shit about Jimbo having a secret offense and beating Bama, I would’ve called you insane.  But after those fuckers came out and pulled that off, I’m open to reaching for the stars like this as well.  

10.12.2021 | Football

Final opportunity to purchase Football 3-Game Mini Plans

#25 Texas hosts #12 Oklahoma State Saturday at 11 a.m. at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium

PURCHASE MINI PLANS

With three home games remaining, this week is the final opportunity to purchase Mini Plans for the 2021 Texas Football season at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.  Starting at $165, mini plans include tickets to the Oklahoma State (10/16), Kansas (11/13), and K-State (11/26) games. 

Mini Plans can be purchased online at TexasSports.com/tickets  or by calling 512-471-3333 (Monday through Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central).

Gameday on the Forty Acres begins at 8 a.m. this Saturday when Bevo Blvd presented by H-E-B, Smokey's Midway, and Hook 'Em Hangout all open!  Come out early, enjoy all of the FREE activities and enjoy all the food trucks and happy hour pricing in these areas.  Whether that's the zip line, ferris wheel, all of the Instagrammable moments, or Longhorn City Limits concerts featuring North Mississippi Allstars and Greyhounds, there's something for everyone!  Check TexasSports.com/Gameday throughout the week for updates on this weekend's timeline and activities. 

Single-game tickets are also available beginning at $40 per game (pricing varies by game and seat location). 

GROUP TICKETS
Group tickets are now available for groups of 20 or more beginning at $45 per ticket (pricing varies per game and quantity).  Group tickets are perfect for outings with family, friends, coworkers and more. For more information or to purchase tickets for your group or organization today, please call Texas Athletics at 512-471-3333 (Monday through Friday 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Central).

8 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Steve Sarkisian was available to the media following Thursday practice via Zoom. Here are a few notes. Will add the video later.

Sarkisian: "I think the sign of a true competitor is how you respond to adversity, and our team has responded extremely well. We've had a really quality week of work, and we knew we needed it because we're playing a heck of an opponent Saturday. Oklahoma State is a very good football team. Well coached. Tough, hardnosed team. They make you earn it. We needed a quality week of work, which I think we were able to get done this week."

Mentions with the OL, Derek Kerstetter is more comfortable at right tackle. Mentions Tope Imade has "earned his time" at right guard. "He's put in a lot of time and worked at it." (I'll have more on Imade later this week).

Sarkisian: "Tackling is paramount. Our ability to get people on the ground at the end of the day is critical." -- Said avoiding and breaking tackles also important, in addition to an emphasis this week on winning 50/50 balls on defense and limiting the quarterback's ability to escape. Again, mentions stopping off-schedule plays.

On this being the last game before the bye: "I'd much rather be playing this week than not. When you have the way our game went last week, the best thing you can do is get back on the horse and start riding again. I think this is the perfect scenario for us. We've got a quality opponent coming to town, undefeated team, top 12 team in the country. They immediately got everybody's attention, and allows us to get right back to work and do what we do."

With Jordan Whittington out, Sarkisian mentions Marcus Washington may slide into his role. "You still have (Xavier Worthy) and Josh Moore, and it's a great opportunity for Kelvontay Dixon, not to mention (Al'vonte) Woodard and Kai Money. Great opportunities at that spot, and looking forward to seeing guys step up."

Sarkisian on scoring before halftime: "We take a lot of pride in that. We practice that quite a bit. I think our players are really comfortable in that setting and understanding what we're trying to do." -- Said the first priority is to make that the last possession of the half so they can "double up" if they are getting the ball out of halftime, and also to prevent the opponent from having that opportunity.

Sarkisian on if he expects Whittington back this year: "I think we're going to rehab Jordan and play it by ear. It'd be great to get him back, whether it's a possible Big 12 championship or bowl game. I know he wants to work back. I just saw him. He looks good, but it's a bone and we've got to see how that heals. We'll see how long it takes."

Sarkisian on the Oklahoma State defense: "A couple of things jump out to me the more I've watched them throughout the week. First of all, recognizing this is a really veteran defense. They are seniors across the board. They've been in a college weight room program for 4-5 years. They're a bigger, physical team. They're more mature physically and mentally. You can tell they've been in the system. They communicate well with one another. Ultimately, they make you earn it. They really don't give you freebies." -- "They play really, really hard."

Sarkisian on if his defense is playing physical enough: "I think we're playing plenty physical. We've had great stretches of stopping the run and affecting the quarterback. At the end of the day, you have to get people on the ground. You can play as physical as you want, but if you miss the tackle that's not a successful play."

Sarkisian on Alfred Collins, says he provides something a little different at JACK: "He's a 305-pound man playing defensive end." -- Says he's shown pass rush ability to win one-on-ones.

Sarkisian on the big recruiting weekend: "The game is priority No. 1. We work too hard not to invest the time needed to make sure that we perform at a high level, that's myself included." -- "Clearly there's a lot of opportunities to recruit. There's windows. There's blocks of time." -- Mentions again how 11 am kicks give them time in the afternoon and evening to interact with recruits, but "the ballgame itself is priority No. 1."

Video...

I don't think he can handle OC and HC duties well at the same time, and unfortunately he is only good at one of them. he is totally lost in terms of making changes or taking the pulse of the game and seeing the train coming before its too late.

• Hook 'Em 3

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?