Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

Sark has made Casey fucking Thompson look like an above average QB with one true freshman receiver, one really good running back and not a God damn thing else. Casey Thompson is as meh of a qb as it gets, weak ass arm, happy feet at the first sign of pressure and misses wide open looks to throw weak ass passes to guys in coverage.

I guess you missed the Alamo Bowl.  he was already an above average QB.  sark hasn't done shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Blaming Sark at this point is easy and lazy. It’s the players. We have a bunch of soft as baby shit losers on this team at the moment. It’s gonna take multiple recruiting classes to clean out this loser shit mentality 

No. This is wrong. Texas has more than enough to make it work in the locker room. Baylor sucks. OSU sucks. Oklahoma sucks. These teams aren’t good, this team is full of idiot championship levels of piss players. Team has the same record starting freshman and sophomores. I will fucking die on that hill. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

No. This is wrong. Texas has more than enough to make it work in the locker room. Baylor sucks. OSU sucks. Oklahoma sucks. These teams aren’t good, this team is full of idiot championship levels of piss players. Team has the same record starting freshman and sophomores. I will fucking die on that hill. 

You are a moron.

• Haha 1

Just realized KSU is better than I thought. This team isn’t making a bowl game. It doesn’t matter really but yikes. Kansas will be the only win left and hell this team has quit and they lack execution and talent to begin with so they could blow that too. 

Wow.  

Edited by The Ace of Aces

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I still think it's too early to tell on Sarkisian.

But I am very, very worried about what seem to be trends or patterns.

There is a lot of tape on him at this point.

It's what I worried about when we hired him, but I was excited anyway.

This is exactly what he was doing at Washington and USC.

24 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Cool story bro. Let’s go with your “we just need better players” theory. After the ou choke job and since you think sark is a good coach why haven’t any of these players that blow ass gotten any better? Why haven’t we taken any steps forward in 3 games? Based off your theory it’s just players and not a coaches job to develop and make them better. They just show up bad asses right out of high school or transfer in here and just get Better  on their own. You think Baylor recruited 5 star guys or do you think the coaches developed them into better players? 

Baylor had the number 29th and 35th recruiting classes in 2018 and 2019. We had the 3rd both years. Of those two recruiting classes we had at least 13 of the 4 or 5 stars are gone. That brings our talent levels closer together, and they've had a year head start on coaching. Last year they won 2 ball games. Thank goodness Aranda wasn't here or he might have gotten fired year one. We for sure would've been saying all the things about him that we are saying about our current guy.

Edited by Thatguy

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Baylor had the number 29th and 35th recruiting classes in 2018 and 2019. We had the 3rd both years. Of those two recruiting classes we had at least 13 of the 4 or 5 stars are gone. That brings our talent levels closer together, and they've had a year head start on coaching. Last year they won 2 ball games. Thank goodness Aranda wasn't here or he might have gotten fired year one. We for sure would've been saying all the things about him that we are saying about our current guy.

I love the comparison crowd. Aranda had a bad first year! Look at saban first year! Look at Dabo! Did they have 3 straight second half collapses with zero adjustments? If it’s the players how did we build a massive lead then get 1 yard in the 4th qtr? If it’s the players we would never have lead any of these games.

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Just realized KSU is better than I thought. This team isn’t making a bowl game. It fiend mystery really but yikes. Kansas will be the only win left and hell this team ha quit so they could blow that too. 

Wow.  

Klieman is a good coach.  He'll coach rings around PK and the rest of our bunch.

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s amazing. The excuses are exactly the same as they were 3 weeks ago. Casey misses reads, that’s a coaching problem. Oline misses blocking assignments, that’s a coaching problem. Defensive backs blowing assignments, that’s a coaching problem. 
Physical mistakes happen. We are making the exact same mental mistakes we did in the Arkansas game. Nothing is getting fixed. Coaches correct mental mistakes. It’s the easiest thing to do but we somehow continue to miss the same blocks, and reads, and coverages.

At least they’re rotating OL and defensive players. Unless Casey leaves on a stretcher, Hudson isn’t seeing the field. It’s time to start seeing what the future is. Either QB should be able to win two more games. 
Not putting all of this on Casey—wrs dropping TDs and other assorted passes is not on him. I fault him more for throwing to the wrong guys

Yes at Baylor which typically suck outside of the Briles and one year of Rhule being good. But Aranda was the cornerstone of what made LSU great for multiple years. I was actually shocked when Baylor was his choice for his first gig. Baylor has a lot more disadvantages than Texas yet they’re closer to competing for the Big 12 than Texas has been in the last 11 years. 

No one fucking cares what Texas used to be. This is part of the entitlement that plagues this program

Baylor has won more games than us since 2011, did you not see the graphic? They seem to care more about football at an institutional level than we do. They’ve had two successful coaches since we fired Mack brown.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

No one fucking cares what Texas used to be. This is part of the entitlement that plagues this program

Baylor has won more games than us since 2011, did you not see the graphic? They seem to care more about football at an institutional level than we do. They’ve had two successful coaches since we fired Mack brown.

They've made or had better hires than us since 2011. It's just that simple. Briles, Rhule, Aranda vs. Mack, Strong, Herman, and Sark. They've had coaches than can develop talent and put their players in a position to be successful. Texas hasn't. And the athlete that Texas should get and supposedly gets based on recruiting rankings is miles apart from what Baylor gets. So it goes back to our coaches don't do their jobs in developing these guys. 

Edited by mdmost

I guess you missed the Alamo Bowl.  he was already an above average QB.  sark hasn't done shit.

One game against shitty Colorado that didn’t prepare for him doesn’t make him any kind of food. The OU first half was promising. The tech game as well, but it’s been a lot of holding your breath for his next mistake otherwise.

He’s not consistent, and he doesn’t handle adversity well. Even if you coach the guy up, he’s 23 years old and largely what he’s gonna be at this point.

52 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Those players are gone bro. Go look at the high ranking recruits from those classes and see where they are. Bijan and Foster are here but the rest of the guys are Jags. You are fooling yourself. Our recruiting classes largely hinge on a couple 5 stars and a couple high ranking 4's who have already jumped ship to the league or transferred. Outside of those few special guys our recruiting classes are very average. We are very average in the spots we need to be good in. Line play. QB. Receivers outside of X. It's showing up and biting us in the ass on a weekly basis. We couldn't run today inside or outside. That's the line not being able to bet to the second level. Baylor was jumping everything short since they knew we couldn't block them for long, so we had to challenge them deep, and when we finally got the protection right guys were missed or dropped it. Defensively we are soft up front. We can't stop the run, and we dedicated a lot of bodies to it today, the first time all year. Didn't matter, guys are still getting washed inside. Casey is not seeing the blitz and getting the ball out. I know guys on here are thinking that's on Sark, but the QB has to got to go hot and get the ball out when he sees blitzers walking up. Casey just simply runs the play stock standard and lets the chips fall where they may. He should be checking into something.

When you walk into an inner city school to teach you have to deal with apathy. People have been where they are in life so long they've just sat down and accepted it. That's Texas Football in it's current state. This football program is broken. There is way more pressure to win here then at most jobs, and the players crumble under that pressure. Gonna be tough to coach it out of them. Right now we are a coach killer program.

I agree that a lot of current JAG players are a big part of the problem this season...

But SARK and his coaching staff + Strength & Conditioning staff are accountable for some shit too -- this has not been a good start for them.  They also better recruit and evaluate better ASAP !!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

No I’m not.  I think Sark may have peaked with Herman’s players.  

This is year one. Charlie strings high water mark was year 1 where he went 6-7 and then missed a bowl 2 years in a row after that. 
This is not me stanning for sark in any way. I’m telling you- Charlie was mind meltingly bad. 

57 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Sark has made Casey fucking Thompson look like an above average QB with one true freshman receiver, one really good running back and not a God damn thing else. Casey Thompson is as meh of a qb as it gets, weak ass arm, happy feet at the first sign of pressure and misses wide open looks to throw weak ass passes to guys in coverage.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47b60kfwvckf5mskbv12

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

It’s clearly both of them at this point. The players are shitty, but it’s on the coaches to make the most of them

the players get the leads and then our coaches are out coached at halftime every fucking game.  its the coaches.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Those players are gone bro. Go look at the high ranking recruits from those classes and see where they are. Bijan and Foster are here but the rest of the guys are Jags. You are fooling yourself. Our recruiting classes largely hinge on a couple 5 stars and a couple high ranking 4's who have already jumped ship to the league or transferred. Outside of those few special guys our recruiting classes are very average. We are very average in the spots we need to be good in. Line play. QB. Receivers outside of X. It's showing up and biting us in the ass on a weekly basis. We couldn't run today inside or outside. That's the line not being able to bet to the second level. Baylor was jumping everything short since they knew we couldn't block them for long, so we had to challenge them deep, and when we finally got the protection right guys were missed or dropped it. Defensively we are soft up front. We can't stop the run, and we dedicated a lot of bodies to it today, the first time all year. Didn't matter, guys are still getting washed inside. Casey is not seeing the blitz and getting the ball out. I know guys on here are thinking that's on Sark, but the QB has to got to go hot and get the ball out when he sees blitzers walking up. Casey just simply runs the play stock standard and lets the chips fall where they may. He should be checking into something.

When you walk into an inner city school to teach you have to deal with apathy. People have been where they are in life so long they've just sat down and accepted it. That's Texas Football in it's current state. This football program is broken. There is way more pressure to win here then at most jobs, and the players crumble under that pressure. Gonna be tough to coach it out of them. Right now we are a coach killer program.

So, the first half of your post, that's the issue. It's the jimmies and joes, not the x's and o's. Trouble is, we're not recruiting all that great, either. If our coaching can't win games and we can't recruit, then yeah, we're dead in the water.

It's a shite situation.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

well yeah but some of our fans actually believe its the players...

To be fair, losing games in the 2nd half tends to point to lack of experience / youth in key positions. The WR's had some drops that would have changed the outcome of this game.

I also want to mention - Sark burned 2 timeouts in the 2nd half. Those would have been useful on Baylor's last possession. Instead of victory formation for Baylor, we perhaps get another possession with 45-60 seconds left.

Edited by redswingline
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is year one. Charlie strings high water mark was year 1 where he went 6-7 and then missed a bowl 2 years in a row after that. 
This is not me stanning for sark in any way. I’m telling you- Charlie was mind meltingly bad. 

I think we’re in heated agreement. I don’t see Sark kicking off twice in a game or declining a first down penalty, but I do see the distinct possibility that this will be a 5-7 season and his best season at the same time.  

But then again I thought Tom Herman was going to turn it around all the way until Covid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, redswingline said:

To be fair, losing games in the 2nd half tends to point to lack of experience / youth in key positions. The WR's had some drops that would have changed the outcome of this game.

I also want to mention - Sark burned 2 timeouts early in the 2nd half. Those would have been useful on Baylor's last possession. Instead of victory formation for Baylor, we get perhaps one last shot at the endzone.

eh, that lack of experience and youth gets leads.  its the coaches.

good point on the TO's.  the fake punt was fucking stupid as well.

29 minutes ago, redswingline said:

3 losses in a row when leading at half.

That is lack of leadership, lack of preparation and to sum it up - bad coaching.

Sure, but how? Why? How do you fix it? What's the secret sauce here? I don't think it's wrong to blame the coaches, but let's have some insight into what the fuck is wrong with them, so we can avoid that characteristic on the next hire.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

the players get the leads and then our coaches are out coached at halftime every fucking game.  its the coaches.

I agree that our coaching staff struggles with adjustments, but the players simply aren't executing in the 2nd half. The team's psyche during a game is extremely fragile. That's on the players. Coaches can't make plays. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I think we’re in heated agreement. I don’t see Sark kicking off twice in a game or declining a first down penalty, but I do see the distinct possibility that this will be a 5-7 season and his best season at the same time.  

But then again I thought Tom Herman was going to turn it around all the way until Covid. 

I am agnostic as to whether or not Sark gets it together. I’m absolutely convinced he’s not as bad as Charlie. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

this is true.  we were getting our asses kicked for an entire 60 minutes all the time.  Sark is probably Herman all over again, where we rarely get a full 60 minutes but we also rarely get horsefucked blown out.  I'm not sure he ever gets to 9 wins unless he fires his DC and starts over there.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Punters are given options to run a fake if they see an opportunity. Dicker made a decision and fucked up. That's on him. 

No it isn’t. Thats one the dumbest things I’ve ever heard.

If you’re allowing your 21 year old punter to make 4th down decisions that’s a coaching problem. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, dcar00 said:

eh, that lack of experience and youth gets leads.  its the coaches.

good point on the TO's.  the fake punt was fucking stupid as well.

I guess, to me, if the players are the problem then why aren’t the coaches at least trying other players?

My issue is I don’t see much reaction to these nearly identical losses in terms of changes in personnel or scheme-or really anything.  

Everyone on this board could have told you last week what was going to happen today almost quarter-by-quarter, and we’re a bunch of lawyers and other assorted talentless hacks. Given that it was so obvious, why did it happen? Was it unavoidable?  If so, why do we pay $10MM in coaching salaries?

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Punters are given options to run a fake if they see an opportunity. Dicker made a decision and fucked up. That's on him. 

on 4th and 12? in a 3 point game?  Did Sark say it was Dicker's decision?  

the coach ALWAYS has the option to tell the ST unit that all fakes are off...

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

I guess, to me, if the players are the problem then why aren’t the coaches at least trying other players?

My issue is I don’t see much reaction to these nearly identical losses in terms of changes in personnel or scheme-or really anything.  

Everyone on this board could have told you last week what was going to happen today almost quarter-by-quarter, and we’re a bunch of lawyers and other assorted talentless hacks. Given that it was so obvious, why did it happen? Was it unavoidable?  If so, why do we pay $10MM in coaching salaries?

Exactly. There has been zero adjustment. We make the same mental mistakes week after week and we run the same personnel out week after week

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I agree that our coaching staff struggles with adjustments, but the players simply aren't executing in the 2nd half. The team's psyche during a game is extremely fragile. That's on the players. Coaches can't make plays. 

they aren't executing because the other teams actual football coach has countered what we were executing.  our coaches stand there and fling poo.

It is the coaches.

3 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Sure, but how? Why? How do you fix it? What's the secret sauce here? I don't think it's wrong to blame the coaches, but let's have some insight into what the fuck is wrong with them, so we can avoid that characteristic on the next hire.

We have youth /inexperience in key positions. Sometimes those guys need more time under their belt to be able to come through in the clutch.

i.e. WR's dropping key passes. Washington dropped at least 2 that may have changed the outcome of the game.

Casey Thompson is going through growing pains. He had at least 5 passes where his feet weren't set.

who is the emotional leader on defense? I don't see one.

Some of these things, they take time to come together and rarely do they in the first year of a HC.

Plus, Sark is working with the turds that Herman left.

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?