Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?

BurntOrange&White

At some point the players have to make plays. Moore and Washington cost us points today. 

The DL is an absolute crisis, and we must have fresh bodies next year who can disrupt. Transfer portal, five stars, whatever it takes. Play them right away. Because these bums ain't it. 

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Hire Aranda. Hire this guy. Hire that guy. It's the same result no matter who we hire, and its high time you guys start seeing that. We just aren't good my bro.

Remember when we were good and we used to be in dogfights vs Baylor and teams of the like through 3 qtrs and all the sudden they would remember they were Baylor and wilt away in the 4th leaving us to run away with the game? Well guess what? We ARE that team now. Our players aren't good and worse yet they have been losing for years and no longer have the expectation to win. This is years in the making, and its going to be a process to coach it out of them. However, you guys keep thinking there is a quick fix.

our coaches suck.  I remember when we were 4-7 with John Mackovic and Mack Brown won 9 games the next year.

this staff isn't coaching shit out of anyone.  Its hig time you start seeing that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We keep firing guys expecting for a 1st season miracle from the next hire and it’s not happening. But we can never pick the right guy like Aranda. We’re such a worthless program year after year. Why would any recruit want to sign up for this? We just need to accept we’re going to be a shitty program. We’re the rival that occasionally jumps up to get a win against our superior rival. But otherwise we’re just a middling program year after year. 

Aranda went 2-7 his first year after following a coach that went 11-3

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Receivers can't catch. That was anticipated.

OL sucks. Not a quick fix.

Defense is a mess. That's a mystery, but coaching can surely be questioned.

A team with no heart. Sure, some players have it, but not the whole team.

It's a goddamn fiasco, but it's Sark's first year.

Fuck.

Yeah. On the one hand, scheme wise, I've never seen a team this well prepared.

Heart? Fire? Emotion? Desire? Seems totally absent.

I don't know what the problem is. I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Aranda went 2-7 his first year after following a coach that went 11-3

Yes at Baylor which typically suck outside of the Briles and one year of Rhule being good. But Aranda was the cornerstone of what made LSU great for multiple years. I was actually shocked when Baylor was his choice for his first gig. Baylor has a lot more disadvantages than Texas yet they’re closer to competing for the Big 12 than Texas has been in the last 11 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

We keep firing guys expecting for a 1st season miracle from the next hire and it’s not happening. But we can never pick the right guy like Aranda. We’re such a worthless program year after year. Why would any recruit want to sign up for this? We just need to accept we’re going to be a shitty program. We’re the rival that occasionally jumps up to get a win against our superior rival. But otherwise we’re just a middling program year after year. 

You would think we would luck into a good hire after three chances. 

i don’t think we’re Nebraska though where there’s just no good reason to expect being anything more than mediocre. We can still pay top dollar for coaching and still have the potential to recruit lights out. We just need the right coach. 

Edited by Starfleet Command

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

our coaches suck.  I remember when we were 4-7 with John Mackovic and Mack Brown won 9 games the next year.

this staff isn't coaching shit out of anyone.  Its hig time you start seeing that.

We were good last year too right? We had an NFL level QB and still lost 3 ball games, right? We are worse from a roster standpoint this year than we were the last but you want us to win more games? Your WE ARE TEXAS is showing. We had far better receivers, QB, a better line, a better D-line, a better secondary, and better linebacking, right? If the answer is yes, and we still lost 3 games last year, why are you surprised?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Receivers can't catch. That was anticipated.

OL sucks. Not a quick fix.

Defense is a mess. That's a mystery, but coaching can surely be questioned.

A team with no heart. Sure, some players have it, but not the whole team.

It's a goddamn fiasco, but it's Sark's first year.

Fuck.

Guess I’m being optimistic (and yes I fucking livid at what I’m seeing). I will hold off on the fraud label til after next season. You have to have a little more time to make all the chances needed. With better skill players at WR and a couple of additional oL couple on def this team would look different. Change culture,s&c, and just learning the system. It’s like hiring a guy to build you a mansion and giving him trailer house material. You can make some stuff look good at times but in the end it’s cheap shit. With as bad as this team seems they have at least had a lead in most of these games to lose. Would TH lost all of them. No idea but I am happy as hell he isn’t here. If we can see these guys suck then our coaches and opponents coaches see even more. We may have to take a step back before running forward. At least I hope like hell that is what will happen

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

Yes at Baylor which typically suck outside of the Briles and one year of Rhule being good. But Aranda was the cornerstone of what made LSU great for multiple years. I was actually shocked when Baylor was his choice for his first gig. Baylor has a lot more disadvantages than Texas yet they’re closer to competing for the Big 12 than Texas has been in the last 11 years. 

Exactly. Anyone that believes they have better players that were all apart of top 40 classes to our top 15 classes are morons and want to have excuses for sark red flags of choking under pressure and second half collapses with “listen he doesn’t have good players”. So fucking dumb. We brought sark here to develop these guys and coach them above their talent level and not make them look like 1 star kids from tapps.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 observations: Washington and Moore are 2nd teamers WR on most of teams we’ve faced. They both cost us dearly today. On the last drive, Casey had Bijan as the dump off man 2 consecutive plays with lots of space. That and missing worthy wide open in 4th. Huge plays. That’s not on Sark. Sark did enough for us to win 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

We were good last year too right? We had an NFL level QB and still lost 3 ball games, right? We are worse from a roster standpoint this year than we were the last but you want us to win more games? Your WE ARE TEXAS is showing. We had far better receivers, QB, a better line, a better D-line, a better secondary, and better linebacking, right? If the answer is yes, and we still lost 3 games last year, why are you surprised?

Lol you’re a idiot. You think smu and Baylor has had top 15 recruiting classes like we have? No they have coaches that make them better than their star ranking. 

Hire Aranda. Hire this guy. Hire that guy. It's the same result no matter who we hire, and its high time you guys start seeing that. We just aren't good my bro.
  Remember when we were good and we used to be in dogfights vs Baylor and teams of the like through 3 qtrs and all the sudden they would remember they were Baylor and wilt away in the 4th leaving us to run away with the game? Well guess what? We ARE that team now. Our players aren't good and worse yet they have been losing for years and no longer have the expectation to win. This is years in the making, and its going to be a process to coach it out of them. However, you guys keep thinking there is a quick fix.
I don't ever fucking remember being in "dogfights" with the likes of fucking Baylor.

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

LSU went 8-4, 9-4, 10-3 his first 3 years there and the defensive rankings went down each year.

25 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Wide receiver is wide open and Casey misses him. Sark's fault. Multiple in hand drops by receivers. Sarks fault. Bijan can't seem to pick up a block. Again Sark's fault. Casey not seeing wide open guys. Sark's fault. If this shit is continuing next year or forward then yes, but at this point what we are seeing is a culmination of things up to this point. Guys are in position to make plays and just are folding under the pressure.

Blaming Sark at this point is easy and lazy. It’s the players. We have a bunch of soft as baby shit losers on this team at the moment. It’s gonna take multiple recruiting classes to clean out this loser shit mentality 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Well at least two of those losses were due to Herman turtling

Just now, Thatguy said:

our coaches suck dude.  I'm not surprised.  I knew it when we dropped down to hire 7 win Steve Sarkisian because he would accept our normal 5M dollar head coach contract to be the head coach at Texas and then he hired a Pac 12 defensive coordinator.

Your oh "ITS ALL OUR PLAYERS" is showing.  this shitty staff won't win more than 8 games ever.  he's not Charlie Strong level yet but I'd rather have Herman and Ash back at this point.

Some guys are coaches that can get the most out of players and then there is front running Steve Sarkisian, who is a 7 win coach unless he has Alabama's players.

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Blaming Sark at this point is easy and lazy. It’s the players. We have a bunch of soft as baby shit losers on this team at the moment. It’s gonna take multiple recruiting classes to clean out this loser shit mentality 

Charlie just needs more time!

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah. On the one hand, scheme wise, I've never seen a team this well prepared.

Heart? Fire? Emotion? Desire? Seems totally absent.

I don't know what the problem is. I'm not smart enough to figure it out.

Completely agree on every point including my own mental ability to figure it out. 

I think it was one of Roschon's wildcat keeper that Roschon advanced nine yards right into the stationary back of Christian Jones. Jones was just fucking standing there with his back to the play. He may be a Rhodes Scholar for all I know; his team photo presents a bright enough looking fellow. On the field, he's the stupidist looking football player I've ever seen. 

Casey impresses the shit out of me standing tall in the pocket and taking the hit. He also impresses me that he does not let butter finger receivers get him down.

The defense is a complete mystery to me. It could be incompetence from top to bottom or a handful of pieces making this team such a nightmare to watch.

See no. You don’t come in as the new CEO and fire everybody. It’s not practical. You do have to identify some cancers to cut out or at the very least significantly demote. And then you go right to work changing the hearts and minds of the vast a majority you are left with. The idea that you can’t start immediately at least fixing the culture of a group of 85 people is flawed. If the argument is talent sure but this team lacks heart, flexibility and mental toughness when everything isn’t perfect. It’s Jason Garrett syndrome. When things are going well great but any sign of adversity and it’s bathe yourself in the same old woe is us shit.

36 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Umm Aranda went 2-7 in his first year (last year) after inheriting an 11-1 squad. Not exactly a first season miracle.

The reality is that first season miracles don’t happen. Look at Mel Tucker (2-5 first year) or any big name coach for that matter. I don’t know why it’s the case but history has shown you really can’t judge a coach until year 2 or 3. Things look bad now, for sure, and it’s partly coaches partly roster, but next year will be the real litmus test. 

Again, this isn’t me saying Sark will be the guy. It’s me saying that it’s too soon to write him off. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

ha.  that's what was said about the worst coach in Texas history as well as the last coach who was an asshole.

you know shitty coaching when you see it.  this is shitty coaching.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

"gotta tear it down before you can build it back up!"

- charlie strong defenders after watching pure shit over and over.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Multiple more top 15 classes like we already had when sark showed up? Yea that’s it!

16 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

2 observations: Washington and Moore are 2nd teamers WR on most of teams we’ve faced. They both cost us dearly today. On the last drive, Casey had Bijan as the dump off man 2 consecutive plays with lots of space. That and missing worthy wide open in 4th. Huge plays. That’s not on Sark. Sark did enough for us to win 

The offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach isn’t responsible for a QB not playing well and missing reads. That’s a new excuse 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

LSU went 8-4, 9-4, 10-3 his first 3 years there and the defensive rankings went down each year.

And you’d take every one of those years in the f’ing SEC. He’s a good coach and he puts players in position to be successful. Everything we don’t do.

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol you’re a idiot. You think smu and Baylor has had top 15 recruiting classes like we have? No they have coaches that make them better than their star ranking. 

Those players are gone bro. Go look at the high ranking recruits from those classes and see where they are. Bijan and Foster are here but the rest of the guys are Jags. You are fooling yourself. Our recruiting classes largely hinge on a couple 5 stars and a couple high ranking 4's who have already jumped ship to the league or transferred. Outside of those few special guys our recruiting classes are very average. We are very average in the spots we need to be good in. Line play. QB. Receivers outside of X. It's showing up and biting us in the ass on a weekly basis. We couldn't run today inside or outside. That's the line not being able to bet to the second level. Baylor was jumping everything short since they knew we couldn't block them for long, so we had to challenge them deep, and when we finally got the protection right guys were missed or dropped it. Defensively we are soft up front. We can't stop the run, and we dedicated a lot of bodies to it today, the first time all year. Didn't matter, guys are still getting washed inside. Casey is not seeing the blitz and getting the ball out. I know guys on here are thinking that's on Sark, but the QB has to got to go hot and get the ball out when he sees blitzers walking up. Casey just simply runs the play stock standard and lets the chips fall where they may. He should be checking into something.

When you walk into an inner city school to teach you have to deal with apathy. People have been where they are in life so long they've just sat down and accepted it. That's Texas Football in it's current state. This football program is broken. There is way more pressure to win here then at most jobs, and the players crumble under that pressure. Gonna be tough to coach it out of them. Right now we are a coach killer program.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Multiple more top 15 classes like we already had when sark showed up? Yea that’s it!

Name one offensive lineman on our team that’s gonna get drafted. WRs? TEs? LBs? Our best players are a true sophomore RB and true frosh WR. Our players suck bro. This is now three coaches that can’t get shit out of these guys.

Just now, A’Dam Psycho said:

Name one offensive lineman on our team that’s gonna get drafted. WRs? TEs? LBs? Our best players are a true sophomore RB and true frosh WR. Our players suck bro. This is now three coaches that can’t get shit out of these guys.

Yea because they aren’t being developed. Any player drafted isn’t because they were just a 4/5 star it’s because they were coached and developed.

• Hook 'Em 2

It’s too early to determine if Sark is a fraud or not. A quick way to find out if he is a serious coach is by watching how aggressive he is in the transfer portal and how quickly he pushes some of these players out the door.  One recruiting class alone isn’t going to change things. They have to be searching the portal to find players that can perform their assignments 

Edited by HornsofBevo

2 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Our players are worse than Baylor’s? Or Oklahoma St? Or Arkansas? 

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

Those players are gone bro. Go look at the high ranking recruits from those classes and see where they are. Bijan and Foster are here but the rest of the guys are Jags. You are fooling yourself. Our recruiting classes largely hinge on a couple 5 stars and a couple high ranking 4's who have already jumped ship to the league or transferred. Outside of those few special guys our recruiting classes are very average. We are very average in the spots we need to be good in. Line play. QB. Receivers outside of X. It's showing up and biting us in the ass on a weekly basis. We couldn't run today inside or outside. That's the line not being able to bet to the second level. Baylor was jumping everything short since they knew we couldn't block them for long, so we had to challenge them deep, and when we finally got the protection right guys were missed or dropped it. Defensively we are soft up front. We can't stop the run, and we dedicated a lot of bodies to it today, the first time all year. Didn't matter, guys are still getting washed inside. Casey is not seeing the blitz and getting the ball out. I know guys on here are thinking that's on Sark, but the QB has to got to go hot and get the ball out when he sees blitzers walking up. Casey just simply runs the play stock standard and lets the chips fall where they may. He should be checking into something.

When you walk into an inner city school to teach you have to deal with apathy. People have been where they are in life so long they've just sat down and accepted it. That's Texas Football in it's current state. This football program is broken. There is way more pressure to win here then at most jobs, and the players crumble under that pressure. Gonna be tough to coach it out of them. Right now we are a coach killer program.

Cool story bro. Let’s go with your “we just need better players” theory. After the ou choke job and since you think sark is a good coach why haven’t any of these players that blow ass gotten any better? Why haven’t we taken any steps forward in 3 games? Based off your theory it’s just players and not a coaches job to develop and make them better. They just show up bad asses right out of high school or transfer in here and just get Better  on their own. You think Baylor recruited 5 star guys or do you think the coaches developed them into better players? 

1 minute ago, HornsofBevo said:

It’s too early to determine if Sark is a fraud or not. A quick way to find out if he is a serious coach is by watching how aggressive he is in the transfer portal and how quickly he pushes some of these players out the door.  I recruiting class alone isn’t going to change things. They have to be searching the portal to find players that can perform their assignments 

For the life of me I can’t get how he looked at Luke and Schooler as his defensive starters and said yep, we’re good.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HornsofBevo said:

It’s too early to determine if Sark is a fraud or not. A quick way to find out if he is a serious coach is by watching how aggressive he is in the transfer portal and how quickly he pushes some of these players out the door.  I recruiting class alone isn’t going to change things. They have to be searching the portal to find players that can perform their assignments 

We need to be searching for guys exactly like Baylor’s center. IDGAF if he played at Buffalo, he probably showed some semblance of competence and maybe occasionally blocked someone successfully. More than we can say for most (all) of the OL we trot out there every game. 

I’m sure Flood is not the issue. Even with Bama’s incredible talent at the position it is pretty clear that they were also well coached. This leads me to believe we are probably putting our best 5 out there. Absolutely sickening.

Edited by Auto Driller

Sark has made Casey fucking Thompson look like an above average QB with one true freshman receiver, one really good running back and not a God damn thing else. Casey Thompson is as meh of a qb as it gets, weak ass arm, happy feet at the first sign of pressure and misses wide open looks to throw weak ass passes to guys in coverage.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

Cool story bro. Let’s go with your “we just need better players” theory. After the ou choke job and since you think sark is a good coach why haven’t any of these players that blow ass gotten any better? Why haven’t we taken any steps forward in 3 games? Based off your theory it’s just players and not a coaches job to develop and make them better. They just show up bad asses right out of high school or transfer in here and just get Better  on their own. You think Baylor recruited 5 star guys or do you think the coaches developed them into better players? 

It’s amazing. The excuses are exactly the same as they were 3 weeks ago. Casey misses reads, that’s a coaching problem. Oline misses blocking assignments, that’s a coaching problem. Defensive backs blowing assignments, that’s a coaching problem. 
Physical mistakes happen. We are making the exact same mental mistakes we did in the Arkansas game. Nothing is getting fixed. Coaches correct mental mistakes. It’s the easiest thing to do but we somehow continue to miss the same blocks, and reads, and coverages.

• Hook 'Em 1

• BurntOrange&White changed the title to Texas Football 2021 In-Season Thread: Can we get a redo?