Zee top five jobs in CFB according to Joel Klatt

closetohumping

7 minutes ago, txhorns said:

This discussion always depends on if you are talking about the jobs in a historical context or simply where they would rank right now.

True true.  I look at it as I'm a coach and I can go to any school I want, where would I go?  Where do I have the best chance to win? I think I'd go:

Texas

USC

Florida

Georgia

Ohio St

I place a bigger premium on instate recruiting.  If historical significance were the lead factor, ND and Bama obviously rise to the top.

6 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Man, I don’t understand this guy.  He should hate us.  I would if I were him.

Eh.  It was a clean hit.  He seems to dislike aggy

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Dan Wolken didn't like

That’s dumb. Why would Texas be 20?

Our hiring choices prove that winning isn’t our primary metric. Seems like the pressure isn’t all that great here. You’re guaranteed a huge paycheck for at least 3 years if you just show up for work. I’d take the job. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

True true.  I look at it as I'm a coach and I can go to any school I want, where would I go?  Where do I have the best chance to win? I think I'd go:

Texas

USC

Florida

Georgia

Ohio St

I'd say this is pretty close.  NIL has changed things in a big way.  There's no more reason for kids to go live in places like Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge to get paid.  They can do it anywhere now.  So which schools a) have the deepest alumni pockets, and b) offer the sexiest places to live and build a brand and become internet famous?

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Oregon

4. Florida

5. Miami  (call me crazy, but I think in a few years they'll be back)

I think Ohio State, Bama, Georgia, and Clemson will be fine for a while, recruiting off of recent history and the opportunity to win immediately.  But in the long run, NIL may work against all of them, especially when coaches like Saban and Swinney retire.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Klatt is by far the most favorable talking head towards us. Ironic that our games on Fox have us dealing with either Tim Brando or Joel Klatt. Quite a dichotomy there.

But I think he’s right here. In reality his top 5 are fairly interchangeable and could be listed in any different order and still seem reasonable. Oregon with the Nike connections could make a huge push in the NIL-era too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'd say this is pretty close.  NIL has changed things in a big way.  There's no more reason for kids to go live in places like Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge to get paid.  They can do it anywhere now.  So which schools a) have the deepest alumni pockets, and b) offer the sexiest places to live and build a brand and become internet famous?

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Oregon

4. Florida

I think Ohio State, Bama, Georgia, and Clemson will be fine for a while, recruiting off of recent history and the opportunity to win immediately.  But in the long run, NIL may work against all of them, especially when coaches like Saban and Swinney retire.

Bad thing about Miami is they have to fight off FSU and the SEC for recruits.  

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Bad thing about Miami is they have to fight off FSU and the SEC for recruits.  

True, but I'm envisioning a near-future where it becomes more about lifestyle recruiting.  Miami has to look a lot more attractive to an 18-year-old than any SEC city.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Ah, the annual "Texas is the best job in college football" thread.

I didn't think we would need it this early in the season, but then Saturday happened.

I also would never claim Texas as #1 in the metric "Where do I have the best chance to win?"  Because outside of DKR, Mack and Fred - no, it's not.  Or we'd win more.  It's looking institutional rather than that we keep striking out on coaches. 

McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong, Herman and now Sark are finding out this is not actually the case.  A whopping combined 81-63 record at Texas with 4 conference championships and 0 national titles in 18 seasons + 2 games. 

You get paid to be mediocre/average for 3-4 years and then walk away with a payday to stop coaching.  By that metric, it's #1 in the "financially the best job with low expectations (by the admin)" department.  

Edited by Js1

29 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Miami has to look a lot more attractive to an 18-year-old than any SEC city.  

Guess you’ve never taken a dip in the beautiful, clear, spring-fed Brazos or enjoyed the bustling nightlife along the famed Bottlecap Alley. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I also would never claim Texas as #1 in the metric "Where do I have the best chance to win?"  Because outside of DKR, Mack and Fred - no, it's not.  Or we'd win more.  It's looking institutional rather than that we keep striking out on coaches. 

McWilliams, Mackovic, Strong, Herman and now Sark are finding out this is not actually the case.  A whopping combined 81-63 record at Texas with 4 conference championships and 0 national titles in 18 seasons + 2 games. 

You get paid to be mediocre/average for 3-4 years and then walk away with a payday to stop coaching.  By that metric, it's #1 in the "financially the best job with low expectations (by the admin)" department.  

Did any of the four have sustained success after Texas?  Leaving Sark out for now.  Just because Deloss and Patterson have made shit hires for a variety of reasons does not mean this isn't a premium job.  I look at:

In state recruiting base

History

Resources

Texas is A to A+ in those four.

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Depends on what you're looking for in a job. I have a feeling you could go 8-4 at Tech, TCU, Houston & Baylor every year in the new Big 12 and get paid $4M/yr in perpetuity. 

8-4 at Tech?

pipedream...

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Depends on what you're looking for in a job. I have a feeling you could go 8-4 at Tech, TCU, Houston & Baylor every year in the new Big 12 and get paid $4M/yr in perpetuity. 

How dare you, UH does not tolerate anything less than 10 wins.  Khator and Ferttita said so. 

Now please stop inspecting Dana Holgorsen's record. 

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

True, but I'm envisioning a near-future where it becomes more about lifestyle recruiting.  Miami has to look a lot more attractive to an 18-year-old than any SEC city.  

People have literally been saying stuff like this for decades.

"Why would you go live in (insert small college town) when you could live in (insert whatever cool city)?" 

Elite recruits want to go somewhere that will give them the best shot at the NFL and winning. That may be any number of small college towns and not some cool big city or beach-type location. Why in the ever-living fuck would you go to Miami and be on 6-5 teams playing in front of a half-empty stadium when you could go to Tuscaloosa and play for the best coach in college football and probably play for 2-3 national titles while you're there?

I would guess that any elite recruit who picks a place because of its "lifestyle" is more than likely going to be a bust.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Jimbo has it better at aggy, but he has to be at aggy. Dude has not and will not win shit, and they still think he's uhhhh-mazing.

NLI isn’t going to turn this game into lifestyle recruiting. It’s gonna be about getting paid and about having not just rich boosters, but boosters willing to part with money for a poor investment and to push the rules and break them. 

Football teams that want a university they can be proud of like Bama, OU, and LSU have the advantages they need in spades. They aren’t going anywhere. 

40 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Jimbo has it better at aggy, but he has to be at aggy. Dude has not and will not win shit, and they still think he's uhhhh-mazing.

This. They’re made for each other. It’s quite possibly the best match up in terms of coach’s persona fitting the institution at which he’s employed. 

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

1. Texas

2. USC

3. Oregon

4. Florida

Except we completely fucked NIL so that isn’t really a plus for us….

• Hook 'Em 1

My top 5 would be:

1) Ohio State - literally has every advantage we do but they actually use them

2) Alabama - While it will be impossible to follow Saban they have hired the two greatest coaches in the sport and their total national titles boast they will do what it takes to win.

3) Texas

4) Notre Dame, hard to know specifics of everything behind the scene because they hide behind private status 

5) Oregon

Also Receiving Notes: USC, Florida

3 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Man, I don’t understand this guy.  He should hate us.  I would if I were him.

Joel Klatt is greatness. He's "must listen" radio every week on The Ticket up here in DFW.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Except we completely fucked NIL so that isn’t really a plus for us….

Good thing it's a marathon and not the 100-meter dash. Still time to pull our heads out of our asses.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Because we added a bunch of dumb shit checks to the coaching search and have failed miserably at it since Akers, outside of Mack.  

What are these checks you speak of? I ask because I am pretty sure that any candidate that would have been interviewed by my company with Sark’s background. Would have never received a job offer without doing an incredible job of self promotion

Edited by Scooter Monzingo

4 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

What are these checks you speak of? I ask because I am pretty sure that any candidate that would have been interviewed by my company with Sark’s background. Would have never received a job offer without doing an incredible job of self promotion

Just a bunch of irrelevant shit that doesn’t matter….

”Texas needs a coach that can be a politician” - no Texas needs a coach that can flat out coach the game of football 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

People have literally been saying stuff like this for decades.

"Why would you go live in (insert small college town) when you could live in (insert whatever cool city)?" 

Elite recruits want to go somewhere that will give them the best shot at the NFL and winning. That may be any number of small college towns and not some cool big city or beach-type location. Why in the ever-living fuck would you go to Miami and be on 6-5 teams playing in front of a half-empty stadium when you could go to Tuscaloosa and play for the best coach in college football and probably play for 2-3 national titles while you're there?

I would guess that any elite recruit who picks a place because of its "lifestyle" is more than likely going to be a bust.

Yeah, and NIL changes everything.  Did you read my previous post?  Kids no longer have to go to shithole Southern cities to get paid, and yes that's been happening.  They've been choosing the SEC because they know they can win and make the NFL, as you said, and also because they can get paid.  Now they'll be able to do all of that in some much more attractive locations.

I can even see a time in several years when Texas, USC, and Oregon are winning and places like Alabama and Clemson have a hard time recruiting top coaches to replace Saban and Swinney because they're at such a competitive disadvantage in recruiting.

Sure, it sounds unfathomable now, but landscapes do change and the SEC hasn't been the big swinging dick forever.  And there's a paradigm shift coming. 

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, and NIL changes everything.  Did you read my previous post?  Kids no longer have to go to shithole Southern cities to get paid, and yes that's been happening.  They've been choosing the SEC because they know they can win and make the NFL, as you said, and also because they can get paid.  Now they'll be able to do all of that in some much more attractive locations.

I can even see a time in several years when Texas, USC, and Oregon are winning and places like Alabama and Clemson have a hard time recruiting top coaches to replace Saban and Swinney because they're at such a competitive disadvantage in recruiting.

Sure, it sounds unfathomable now, but landscapes do change and the SEC hasn't been the big swinging dick forever.  And there's a paradigm shift coming. 

Maybe. But LA will never ever be as football crazy, college football crazy, as Tuscaloosa or Clemson or Knoxville or wherever else it has been for 75 years. That shit matters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Maybe. But LA will never ever be as football crazy, college football crazy, as Tuscaloosa or Clemson or Knoxville or wherever else it has been for 75 years. That shit matters.

The tenacity of a fan base and it’s alumni will win out vs NIL in a big city. There is no better fan base than Alabama, Ohio state, or etc in the south/not highly populated areas. Where as our fan base pretty much kind of sucks. 

fucks same Bryce young had 7 figure deal before starting, Ewers 1.4 million in Columbus, Clemson QB has huge deal with Dr Pepper….location won’t matter as much as some try to make it  

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

The tenacity of a fan base and it’s alumni will win out vs NIL in a big city. 

fucks same Bryce young had 7 figure deal before starting, Ewers 1.4 million in Columbus, Clemson QB has huge deal with Dr Pepper….location won’t matter as much as some try to make it  

Yeah, this is basically my take. Boosters and the shit they’re willing to pay are not all created equally. I’m not sure why we’d think the schools that are already paying players won’t keep being really good at it. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The tenacity of a fan base and it’s alumni will win out vs NIL in a big city. There is no better fan base than Alabama, Ohio state, or etc in the south/not highly populated areas. Where as our fan base pretty much kind of sucks. 

Exactly. This will all normalize, I think, especially as guys like Ewers either don't pan out, see the field or transfer elsewhere. It's the wild, wild west. The more "bust" stories for kids getting seven-figure deals before setting foot on campus will be fewer and farther between, I think. My guess is we'll see this shit slide back toward the $150K that Cam got to go to Auburn as opposed to a few of the mega-deals we're seeing at the moment to unproven talent.

1 minute ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, this is basically my take. Boosters and the shit they’re willing to pay are not all created equally. I’m not sure why we’d think the schools that are already paying players won’t keep being really good at it. 

Este

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Schools that have their bag system in place will keep them in place to drive talent there and will also capitalize on NIL regardless of location. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

My top 5 would be:

1) Ohio State - literally has every advantage we do but they actually use them

2) Alabama - While it will be impossible to follow Saban they have hired the two greatest coaches in the sport and their total national titles boast they will do what it takes to win.

3) Texas

4) Notre Dame, hard to know specifics of everything behind the scene because they hide behind private status 

5) Oregon

Also Receiving Notes: USC, Florida

The one knock on Ohio State (and Notre Dame for that matter) is that it doesn't have the local talent that Texas, Florida, and Georgia have access to. Ohio is definitely second tier for blue-chip recruits. It's not Nebraska, but it isn't Texas or Florida either who have a ton of talent within a reasonable driving distance. The same coach recruiting the same recruit would probably have an easier time convincing them to stay close to home. On the other hand, Ohio State has no in-state competitors, which off-sets the geographic disadvantage. 

• Hook 'Em 1