2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

4 minutes ago, pops said:

That being said,  who gives a fuck if a new tour has a few events?  Players have always played in non pga events and usually for appearance fees. Not a single major is a tour event.  

Yep, I remember when Strange, after he won his back-to-back US Opens muddied party of the California swing and played 2-3 events in Asia. Someone asked him about it, and he asked back who was leading the tour in winnings? Then kinda laughed and said he had that covered before he'd even teed off on his trip. Nobody really bitched at him.

2 hours ago, pops said:

That being said,  who gives a fuck if a new tour has a few events?  Players have always played in non pga events and usually for appearance fees. Not a single major is a tour event.  

Because this isn't a tour that has "a few events."  It's a tour with around 14 tournaments, at least as rumored.  Players like Spieth, DJ, JT, etc. usually play somewhere around 20-25 tournaments a year including the majors.  That means if someone plays on the Saudi tour and the majors, he's at 18 events without playing a single PGA Tour tournament.  That's not Curtis Strange playing a one off event in Asia.  

Callaway Golf paused its relationship with Phil Mickelson on Friday, becoming the fourth longtime sponsor to either end or halt its partnership with the six-time major champion after his controversial comments about the PGA Tour and organizers of a Saudi Arabia-backed breakaway league became public last week.

KPMG and Amstel Light announced earlier this week that they were ending their sponsorship with Mickelson. Workday did the same Friday, and Callaway later issued a statement regarding its stance.

He's estimated to have made $40 million in endorsements in 2021 alone. Just a well thought out plan all the way through. He can bitch all he wants about "off the record" comments, but what he said is true. The Saudi's are scummy m'fers, he knows they are scummy m'fers, and he was more than happy to crawl in bed with them for some of that sweet Saudi coin.  Well played, Phil. Good job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I honestly don’t get why Phil’s sponsors are bailing, but then I don’t pay real close attention. I mean what he said was stupid to say but didn’t seem that bad to me. Why does KPMG care if he is trying to exert leverage on the PGA?

Calloway is a no brainer as they likely value their relationship with the tour more than a 50 year old FIGJAM. For the non golf companies, why pay endorsement money to a guy that will be a golf pariah for the next year or two and is 50 years old to boot. This was such a spectacular failure on his part, why be associated with him. They paid that dude a lot of money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

Calloway is a no brainer as they likely value their relationship with the tour more than a 50 year old FIGJAM. For the non golf companies, why pay endorsement money to a guy that will be a golf pariah for the next year or two and is 50 years old to boot. This was such a spectacular failure on his part, why be associated with him. They paid that dude a lot of money. 

Yep, this is a very convenient out to not have to pay an over the hill player the type of money he was making. He really fucked up good. I wonder if there's more negative Phil news to drop yet.

• Like 1

Yep, this is a very convenient out to not have to pay an over the hill player the type of money he was making. He really fucked up good. I wonder if there's more negative Phil news to drop yet.

Yeah it seems like everyone is unleashing on him now. Shows what kind of a reputation he had. Sounds like all of that was true about him

He definitely fucked it up

3 hours ago, Updawg said:

Yeah it seems like everyone is unleashing on him now. Shows what kind of a reputation he had. Sounds like all of that was true about him

He definitely fucked it up

Yes.  That PGA win bought him 5 more years of elite endorsement money and he pissed it all away.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:50 PM, Pam Cummings said:

I wonder if there's more negative Phil news to drop yet.

The Saudi quotes from Phil were excerpts from an unauthorized biography that will be released in May. It reportedly goes deep into Phil’s gambling and insider trading. No telling what other dirt is in there. 

On 2/26/2022 at 4:53 PM, bigup2dahorns said:

Whole thing feels like Phil on 18 tee with the lead and piping his drive OB. Who plays on pga tour next: Tiger or Phil? Guessing it’s Phil but who knows.

I don't know but I'd bet neither of them win another event. 

Heading to The Player's Championship next week.  Staying on the river in downtown Jacksonville.  Playing the Slammer & the Squire on Friday, then going to the tournament on Saturday and Sunday.  First time.  Any suggestions on where to eat / drink?

Heading to The Player's Championship next week.  Staying on the river in downtown Jacksonville.  Playing the Slammer & the Squire on Friday, then going to the tournament on Saturday and Sunday.  First time.  Any suggestions on where to eat / drink?

Safe Harbor (Atlantic Beach) is my favorite seafood spot

Best burger is at Carolina Jax

Lemon Bar (Neptune Beach) is a cool place to drink

We have a ton of good to really good restaurants and bars in Jax Beach-Neptune Beach-Atlantic Beach. Nothing I’d say you MUST try, though. Maybe look at Southern Kitchen and Bar for something that is sneaky good and usually not too crowded. If you want something fancy, Eleven in Jax Beach will happily take your money. Our Mexican food sucks, so skip that.

I wouldn’t bother with anything in Ponte Vedra Beach as it will just be over crowded and over priced.

Come play some poker at Bestbet Jacksonville if you want to donate to me.

Slammer & Squire is nice. If you have a chance to switch to King & Bear, do it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/2/2022 at 11:54 AM, Lurch said:

Safe Harbor (Atlantic Beach) is my favorite seafood spot

Best burger is at Carolina Jax

Lemon Bar (Neptune Beach) is a cool place to drink

We have a ton of good to really good restaurants and bars in Jax Beach-Neptune Beach-Atlantic Beach. Nothing I’d say you MUST try, though. Maybe look at Southern Kitchen and Bar for something that is sneaky good and usually not too crowded. If you want something fancy, Eleven in Jax Beach will happily take your money. Our Mexican food sucks, so skip that.

I wouldn’t bother with anything in Ponte Vedra Beach as it will just be over crowded and over priced.

Come play some poker at Bestbet Jacksonville if you want to donate to me.

Slammer & Squire is nice. If you have a chance to switch to King & Bear, do it.

Best Restaurant in Jax is Matthews IMHO.  After golf go a little further south to Salt Water Cowboys.  

I may go to TPC for a day next week.  Heading to Arnie's place tomorrow and then Streamsong Saturday and Sunday  

10 of the Top Punchbowl Holes in the U.S. - LINKS Magazine

Best Restaurant in Jax is Matthews IMHO.  After golf go a little further south to Salt Water Cowboys.  
I may go to TPC for a day next week.  Heading to Arnie's place tomorrow and then Streamsong Saturday and Sunday  

StreamsongBlack_9_XXD.jpg

Streamsong Red is the best course I’ve ever played. Enjoy!