2021-22 PGA thread

Wally Fairway

43 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Bryson out of SGL now too. Phil may have torpedoed the whole thing with his comments. 

His statement was pretty lawyered up. As long as the pga tour has the best players in the world that's where I'll play.  I'm sure there was something in his contact that gave him an out if there weren't X number of the top X players in the world committed. 

I dont know if this thing ever really has a chance but it could just be more monetwhipping. Saudis could find 3 billion under the couch cushions to guarantee 200 mil each for 15 of the top 20 or whatever in the world to commit to a 5 year deal. Or fuck it,  400 mill each. Fuck you generational money. I just wonder why they care enough to do it. 

I missed this, so sorry if already posted....

Mickelson’s remarks about the proposed Saudi-backed golf league that would rival the PGA Tour came in an interview with author Alan Shipnuck.

Phil's quote:  

"They’re scary motherf-----s to get involved with," Mickelson reportedly said. "We know they killed [Washington Post reporter Jamal] Khashoggi and have a horrible record on human rights. They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates.

"They’ve been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse. As nice a guy as [PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan] comes across as, unless you have leverage, he won’t do what’s right. And the Saudi money has finally given us that leverage. I’m not sure I even want [the Saudi golf league] to succeed, but just the idea of it is allowing us to get things done with the [PGA] Tour."

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/phil-mickelson-comments-saudi-golf-league

I wonder if this kerfluffle will cost FIGJAM the 2025 Ryder Cup captaincy at Bethpage.  JT clearly thinks Phil is a cunt and he can't be the only one.  

The parallels to the European Super League fiasco are astounding.  

The Saudis have learned the lessons of sportswashing from the Emiratis and throwing a few billion at a golf league is a relatively modest investment for the anticipated benefits.    

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, alincoln said:

I wonder if this kerfluffle will cost FIGJAM the 2025 Ryder Cup captaincy at Bethpage.  JT clearly thinks Phil is a cunt and he can't be the only one.  

The parallels to the European Super League fiasco are astounding.  

The Saudis have learned the lessons of sportswashing from the Emiratis and throwing a few billion at a golf league is a relatively modest investment for the anticipated benefits.    

Agreed.  However, the Ryder Cup is run by the PGA of America.  The President's Cup is run by the PGA Tour.

Either way, I would like for Justin Leonard to get a shot.  Not sure if he's even interested, or hasn't wanted to play the politics of it, being a vice captain, etc.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

He's worth a few hundred million

that's the million dollar question.  how much is he really worth?  lots of rumors that he doesn't have as much money as he should (Phil does like to gamble).  was he going to the SGL because he needed the money?  i find it hard to believe that he lost most of his wealth like some speculate.  "Phil sold his Gulfstream because he's broke!"  but still, the streets are paved with athletes who wasted most of their dough.  truth is probably somewhere in the middle for Phil.  

gonna be weird not seeing him in that KPMG hat.  it's part of who he is on the golf course.

142411861.jpgskysports-phil-mickelson-golf_5392985.jp

Wild stuff. Pat Perez recently said that Phil is really stressed out in his life. Seems cryptic. Something could be going on in his personal life behind the scenes. He definitely should have plenty of cash unless he did something really stupid, again. Phil and his manager invested in one of my best friend’s startup and made a ton of money in it as my friend recently sold the business.

29 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Wild stuff. Pat Perez recently said that Phil is really stressed out in his life. Seems cryptic. Something could be going on in his personal life behind the scenes. He definitely should have plenty of cash unless he did something really stupid, again. Phil and his manager invested in one of my best friend’s startup and made a ton of money in it as my friend recently sold the business.

Yeah, for awhile there he was making close to $50 mil per year in endorsements.  That is a lot of money to blow.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Does anyone know what his actual issues are with the PGA Tour? It seems to be as well as can be expected without Tiger.

17 minutes ago, Hate said:

So what he said about the Saudi’s is why sponsors are dropping him? The rest of the stuff didn’t really seem that bad, right? The rest was criticism of the Tour mostly.

There are hundreds of articles out there on the situation. Do your own work if you’re really interested. 

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Shipnuck's book supposedly goes into Phil's gambling in some detail.  Shipnuck has already described Phil's gambling losses as "massive".  Dude is addicted to gambling and that only ends in one place.

can't wait to see what Shipnuck has to say about his gambling.

worst thing to happen to Phil was hitting big on that Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl bet back in the day.  it was so public, and he must have thought he was some sort of savant, which probably amped up the number of bets and the amount of the bets.

i think you're right about where this is heading.  dude has already been accused of insider trading by the SEC.  ESPN said Phil  was investigated for wiring millions to an illegal gambling operation.  now, he's getting in bed with the Saudis for a monster payday. desperate times call for desperate measures.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2015/06/29/report-phil-mickelson-wired-millions-middleman-related-sports-betting-11699/

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

But that isn't a pga tour event!  And they are probably getting appearance money!   Ban them! 

Mickelson and Norman are being bitches. And fuck the Saudis. But the pga tour is being little bitches, too. This is a bitch ass titty fight of epic proportions. 

The last time Norman made waves the pga said the world golf tour was a horrible thing and he should feel bad. Then started the WGC. 

Then tiger came along and suddenly a first place check was more than the season long money winner made just 10 years earlier. Then 10 then 15 million to win the fedex cup. The spigot was wide open. 

I actually think mickelson has valid points about getting more money out to the lower ranked tour players but it's become pretty clear his reasons were disingenuous and he just wanted his cut of Saudi oil blood money.   And ironically enough this new tour would only inflate the bank accounts of those who need it least. 

Norman has never forgiven finchem for skull fucking him on the WGT and will do anything to screw the PGA. 

That being said,  who gives a fuck if a new tour has a few events?  Players have always played in non pga events and usually for appearance fees. Not a single major is a tour event.  

I think the pga tour puts out a good product and will always be the pinnacle. But maybe a little competition would make it better. I just wish that competition wasn't funded by the Saudis. 

• Like 1