75 Dogs Die In Georgetown Boarding Facility Fire

Wally Pryor

• Wally Pryor changed the title to 75 Dogs Die In Georgetown Boarding Facility Fire

Speaking to reporters from KVUE and other media outlets Sunday morning, Sullivan said he did not know what caused the fire or where in the building it originated. He said those answers could come in another week or so. He did note that the boarding facility is not required by local, state or federal laws to have a sprinkler system due to the size and use of the building.

Sullivan said the initial focus was to save as many lives as possible. Crews gained access to the building and were able to open some ventilation to try to control some of the smoke. However, they were unable to save any of the dogs inside the building. Sullivan said there were no humans inside.

"I’m shocked. I’ve been doing this for 29 years and this is the first incident that I’ve had where we’ve lost so many pets. And, again, I hate to use that term because, to me, a pet is a lot more than a pet. It is the closest friend. And I wish I could convey my internal emotions adequately," Sullivan said, adding, "I just wish I could go back in time to make it better."

• Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

Can’t believe they had no sprinkler system inside or even overnight staff….don’t most of those types of places have overnight staff at least?

They should, but gotta save that $100 they’d pay someone to hang out overnight. I would never trust my dogs to one of those prisons, errrr…dog boarding places. 

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

Yeah, that really surprised - not a single overnight staff person. 

Yeah....that's the thing that stands out the most.  Back when we would board our dog, we sent her someplace that had someone on site 24/7 - that was part of the deal, that they were monitored and never completely alone.  Really surprising that they didn't have anyone working overnight.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....that's the thing that stands out the most.  Back when we would board our dog, we sent her someplace that had someone on site 24/7 - that was part of the deal, that they were monitored and never completely alone.  Really surprising that they didn't have anyone working overnight.

Yeah, 75+ dogs and you would think at least one person would have to be onsite at all hours. 

We'll be hearing more about this, I'm sure.   

Seeing different people on the Georgetown FB groups I’m in posting pictures of their dogs that died at Ponderosa is just gut-wrenching. Makes me sad for the owners of the pets and angry at the resort for not having more safeguards or people around to keep an eye on them overnight. According to their website they believed the animals were more relaxed and slept better without having a human there with them overnight. The resort owner better have damn good insurance

My thought is that a sprinkler system and fire alarm would have done more good in this case than a person there overnight.

I live in Georgetown and have used this facility many times over the years. I know people who lost their dogs. I know the owner and his family and my kid knows some of the staff. It is extremely devastating for all involved. Georgetown is reeling.

Police said the building was all metal, and had heavy smoke but very little actual fire damage. Said most dogs probably died of smoke inhalation. Which if you’ve ever breathed in too much smoke you know it’s suffocating followed by a lightheaded, damn near peaceful feeling. Definitely worse ways to go. 

Edited by Helobious

1 hour ago, used2b said:

My thought is that a sprinkler system and fire alarm would have done more good in this case than a person there overnight.

I live in Georgetown and have used this facility many times over the years. I know people who lost their dogs. I know the owner and his family and my kid knows some of the staff. It is extremely devastating for all involved. Georgetown is reeling.

Still should have someone there overnight. If not a fire, then maybe a medical emergency, or anything, really. If it is disclosed to the clients that your pet will not have any employee around overnight to handle emergencies, then I guess they knew what was going on and took their chances. If that isn't disclosed, I'd be very upset. In a facility that size and with that many animals, someone needs to be there at all times, IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Deej said:

Still should have someone there overnight. If not a fire, then maybe a medical emergency, or anything, really. If it is disclosed to the clients that your pet will not have any employee around overnight to handle emergencies, then I guess they knew what was going on and took their chances. If that isn't disclosed, I'd be very upset. In a facility that size and with that many animals, someone needs to be there at all times, IMO. 

Yes it is disclosed. I don't disagree that having overnight staff there is the best practice in general. Apparently many boarding places don't have them. Hopefully that changes.

38 minutes ago, used2b said:

Yes it is disclosed. I don't disagree that having overnight staff there is the best practice in general. Apparently many boarding places don't have them. Hopefully that changes.

This is why I have someone dog sit in my own home.  Granted, most dog boarding where I am is open (i.e. the dogs all sleep together, there are no separate kennels) and there is 24/7 staff.  But you also pay out the nose for that (for my dogs, who get stressed out being around other dogs 24/7, it is MUCH cheaper to have a dog sitter in my own home).

1 hour ago, Deej said:

My kid works at a dog daycare/boarder, they don't have an overnight person. Dogs are on their own from about 8pm to 6am. 

Also, this is poor phrasing:

the department is working with the resort owner to reunite families with their pets, something they're hoping to execute over the next 24 hours.

Edited by Sandman

9 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

I knew the owner back in my previous work days. Hell of a guy and a true dog lover.
Damn, hadnt seen him in years.
Sad to see this happen to so many families and their pets.
Im not really a cat/dog person but my kids would be devastated if anything happened to our dogs.

He sounds like a first class asshole based on his Facebook account.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Rover.com was a site where we found our dog/house sitter. Never paid through the site though since we contacted her directly once we chatted for a bit. She was a vet tech while attending UT and dog sits nowadays to get her dog fix. Stays at our house while we’re traveling for just $50/night. Actually, she only charged $35 but I felt bad paying that little. Easily some of the best money we’ve ever spent. Our dog doesn’t even give a shit if we ever come back.