Some of y'all owe this team an apology!!!

Thatguy

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

That's the big question there right? Obviously he wasn't his first choice, but one of the other guys was a 3-3-5 guy too.

if he had no other choice that should have been vetted by actual football people talking to Sark but again it was a panic move so shit goes sideways just like any panic move in any org.

3 minutes ago, Pods said:

Then maybe PK should have wanted to do something else that better fits his roster, because his rigidness means he's about to be doing something else aside from being DC at Texas. 

Geezus Christ have you guys ever, look, PK knows how to run what he runs. To make an analogy its like speaking a language. English is what PK runs. Chinese is what Muschamp runs. PK doesn't speak Chinese. He may know a few words and phrases but not enough to communicate. That's what it is for DCs at this level.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if he had no other choice that should have been vetted by actual football people talking to Sark but again it was a panic move so shit goes sideways just like any panic move in any org.

Yeah, this conference is a crapshoot with DCs. Some of the really good DCs that come from other conferences look like fools here. So many innovative offenses and mobile QBs week to week. I guess we will find out what these guys are made of. Truth is we were in every game except the Card games. We figure out a way to close and we are a 2 loss team. That's the positive I take from it. I have seen teams do this before and then come back the next year a little better.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, this conference is a crapshoot with DCs. Some of the really good DCs that come from other conferences look like fools here. So many innovative offenses and mobile QBs week to week. I guess we will find out what these guys are made of. Truth is we were in every game except the Card games. We figure out a way to close and we are a 2 loss team. That's the positive I take from it. I have seen teams do this before and then come back the next year a little better.

I am as ever hopeful, but as we cycle through Herman's shit, fool's gold recruits, we are going to continue on a downward trajectory, one that will likely be tremendously exacerbated when the hooplehead mob on here gets another HC's head on a spike. At this point the only possible way I see forward is for a thousands of our dumbfuck fans and boosters to lose interest in the program and then, in the shadows, we can truly rebuild.

Our idiots make Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU  fans and boosters look rational at this point. 

Meanwhile, carry on to Nebraska status. It will truly be amazing for a school that has every advantage Nebraska does not to get there, but our entitled fanbase and dumbass boosters have already brought us there. It's just a matter of how long we will stay where we are at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Geezus Christ have you guys ever, look, PK knows how to run what he runs. To make an analogy its like speaking a language. English is what PK runs. Chinese is what Muschamp runs. PK doesn't speak Chinese. He may know a few words and phrases but not enough to communicate. That's what it is for DCs at this level.

Kansas was averaging 15 points a game, they just hung 1/2 a hundred on us and the recruits he needs to improve were laughing at him in the stands.

He might want to learn some fucking Chinese. 

Edited by Pods
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, Pods said:

Kansas was averaging 15 points a game, they just hung 1/2 a hundred on us and the recruits he needs to improve were laughing at him in the stands.

Regardless of what you say, DCs don't change schemes schools change DCs. Just how it is. Don't kill the messenger.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Regardless of what you say, DCs don't change schemes schools change DCs. Just how it is. Don't kill the messenger.

I think it's dumb but definitely true. I think you would have better success if you just ran some vanilla scheme reasonably close to the previous DCs for a couple or three years until you got your guys in there and it would work better than they prevailing standard today. 

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I am as ever hopeful, but as we cycle through Herman's shit, fool's gold recruits, we are going to continue on a downward trajectory, one that will likely be tremendously exacerbated when the hooplehead mob on here gets another HC's head on a spike. At this point the only possible way I see forward is for a thousands of our dumbfuck fans and boosters to lose interest in the program and then, in the shadows, we can truly rebuild.

Our idiots make Auburn, Tennessee, and LSU  fans and boosters look rational at this point. 

Meanwhile, carry on to Nebraska status. It will truly be amazing for a school that has every advantage Nebraska does not to get there, but our entitled fanbase and dumbass boosters have already brought us there. It's just a matter of how long we will stay where we are at this point. 

yeah, its fault of fans and boosters not the dumbasses sitting in the coaching box on gameday and who are with the team all season/year.   its always the players until its not.  just as Bama, OU, LSU, etc who had to cycle through 3 coaches before hitting the right one.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Pods said:

This is exactly why this sadistic carnival ride we are on will never end. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

All bullshit aside for a sec because I like you as a poster. Due to the failings of our previous two coaches in recruiting we just aren't who we need to be from a personnel standpoint. We failed to bring in a decent QB. We've been failing on O-line. What I will say about the current coaches is this. We would be far better if we had 4-2-5 based defense. The guys on our D-line are better suited to that style of front. I think if we had that we are looking at a different season. Once again though, the problem is coaches are gonna do what they know how to do. So the question is do you bring in a guy who runs what you are built for or do you bring in kids who are built for what you run. Tough shoes Sark is in. I don't envy him. He may believe in PK but this current roster doesn't fit what PK wants to do.

I didn't realize only a 4-2-5 based defense would allow our personnel to hold a QB sneak under 8 yards against a 1-8 Kansas with one of the worst offenses in the FBS. Oh well, I'm sure that'll be fixed once PK has his guys

Edited by TotallyLegit
  • Hook 'Em 2

The idea that a coach who speaks English can't learn a little Chinese is ludicrously faulty in logic and history.  Hell look no farther than one of our head coaches

It was early 2000, and Charlie Strong had a problem. Strong, then in his second season as the defensive coordinator for South Carolina, had gone to Columbia, SC to join head coach Lou Holtz in an attempt to resurrect the school’s moribund program. Unfortunately, instead of resurrecting anything whatsoever, the team finished an abysmal 0-11 in the pair’s first year. Fortunately for Strong, in football, the need for solutions to unique problems often leads to new ideas. In his first year with the Gamecocks, Strong’s defense had little luck defending talented SEC squads solely with traditional defensive alignments. In an effort to combat his superior foes, Strong, whose work at South Carolina and later Florida propelled him to his current role as Louisville’s head coach, went about trying to find a strategy that was novel, adaptable, and, above all else, would actually work. What he came up with was the 3-3-5 or “30 stack” defense — a defense still in vogue around college football, and one that stood as an important predecessor to the NFL’s use of versatile and athletic “hybrid” defenders who have become increasingly valuable despite not being built for traditional roles.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The idea that a coach who speaks English can't learn a little Chinese is ludicrously faulty in logic and history.  Hell look no farther than one of our head coaches

Of note: that adjustment came in the second year none of y'all want to give PK. Instead we'll have another new DC with "his" scheme to learn.

Time will tell, like when you were soooo excited to get Tom Herman and swore he was slam dunk. Lol. But what I will say is this. All of you guys that are on here asking for a coaching change 9 games in will be remembered. Stay on the sideline if the ship changes course. Your toxicity is what is wrong with our fanbase.

Don’t double down on stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Fuck all of these motherfuckers. I don’t give a shit who they fire or when. I just flat out don’t want to watch these pathetic fucking pussies represent my school.
I quit on Texas Football. They quit on me a long time ago. 

Actually i think their uniform going forward should just be plain Burnt Orange. They haven’t earned the Longhorn or the Texas.

On 9/25/2021 at 6:48 PM, Thatguy said:

Wait and see we said. Let it play out we said. Maybe Pig is pretty good we said. No! You guys and your sandy vagina'ed, kneejerk reactions. Arkansas did to them exactly what they did to us. It might have been even worse because had KJ not gone down they win going away. Now that you know Pig is better than you thought, and that we aren't as bad as everyone feared, how does everyone feel going forward?

Lol what a fucking moron.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I think it's dumb but definitely true. I think you would have better success if you just ran some vanilla scheme reasonably close to the previous DCs for a couple or three years until you got your guys in there and it would work better than they prevailing standard today. 

Thatguy is having an argument with a straw man he has erected. I never said PK should, or would completely change schemes. 

He may believe in PK but this current roster doesn't fit what PK wants to do.

2 hours ago, Pods said:

Then maybe PK should have wanted to do something else that better fits his roster, because his rigidness means he's about to be doing something else aside from being DC at Texas. 

PK is paid a lot of money to figure out what changes he needed to make so his defense didn't give up half a hundred to Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pods said:

Thatguy is having an argument with a straw man he has erected. I never said PK should, or would completely change schemes. 

PK is paid a lot of money to figure out what changes he needed to make so his defense didn't give up half a hundred to Kansas.

If you are still asking for him to do something different then you simply do not understand football. The something different you want IS a scheme change. We've run light boxes. Heavy boxes. 4 man fronts. Blitzed a lot. Stayed in base. We've played everybody on the damn roster too. We've done a bit of everything inside his scheme and it still hasn't mattered. Teams have still run on us and we still haven't generated pressure. Are you watching these games or just looking at the box score?

They played better under Chris Ash because he runs a defense for dumb people who have great athletic ability. It's simply "you run through this gap and tackle anything on the way". You don't really read anything you simply attack. That is a different scheme than what PK does. So you see, its not a strawman, you simply don't understand what you are asking. 

It's lazy to simply say "a coach is paid a lot of money to figure out what changes he needed to make".

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

You still don't know what you are talking about. Charlie Strong was already a 3-4 guy. Changing to a 3-3-5 is simply running the SAME damn 3-4 by using the nickel variant from it as your base. It's the same thing Saban had to do to handle spread offenses.

Although the 3-3-5 seemed like a wholly new strategy, it didn’t just occur to Charlie Strong out of the blue. The scheme was a natural variant from a defense he coached in another venue under Holtz: Bob Davie’s 3-4 defenses at Notre Dame.

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You still don't know what you are talking about. Charlie Strong was already a 3-4 guy. Changing to a 3-3-5 is simply running the SAME damn 3-4 by using the nickel variant from it as your base. It's the same thing Saban had to do to handle spread offenses.

No, sir. You made it clear just a moment ago that your men never take matters into their own hands. Your men follow orders or people die. So Santiago shouldn't have been in any danger at all, should he have, Colonel?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you are still asking for him to do something different then you simply do not understand football. The something different you want IS a scheme change. We've run light boxes. Heavy boxes. 4 man fronts. Blitzed a lot. Stayed in base. We've played everybody on the damn roster too. We've done a bit of everything inside his scheme and it still hasn't mattered. Teams have still run on us and we still haven't generated pressure. Are you watching these games or just looking at the box score?
  They played better under Chris Ash because he runs a defense for dumb people who have great athletic ability. It's simply "you run through this gap and tackle anything on the way". You don't really read anything you simply attack. That is a different scheme than what PK does. So you see, its not a strawman, you simply don't understand what you are asking. 
  It's lazy to simply say "a coach is paid a lot of money to figure out what changes he needed to make".

So it is better to salt your food first because your momma made unsalted food?

I worked with guys like this. They solved one problem that was tricky and thought it was the solution to all future problems. After all, they got it right once. They fucked up a lot.

Maybe I don’t understand football, I would expect a DC to understand how to implement multiple defense strategies, but excel at one or two. As a geophysicist, I knew seismology, GPR, Resisitivity, gravity, and a few other techniques. I specialized in one, knew another fairly well, and another ok, and had a background in the rest. If I really needed to run gravity survey I could. I also had a working knowledge of well completions, because, people paying me wanted to understand well completions more. Especially if that DC was one of the best paid in the country. Shit, for this kind of performance hiring a high school coach would be better.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

So it is better to salt your food first because your momma made unsalted food?

I worked with guys like this. They solved one problem that was tricky and thought it was the solution to all future problems. After all, they got it right once. They fucked up a lot.

Maybe I don’t understand football, I would expect a DC to understand how to implement multiple defense strategies, but excel at one or two. As a geophysicist, I knew seismology, GPR, Resisitivity, gravity, and a few other techniques. I specialized in one, knew another fairly well, and another ok, and had a background in the rest. If I really needed to run gravity survey I could. I also had a working knowledge of well completions, because, people paying me wanted to understand well completions more. Especially if that DC was one of the best paid in the country. Shit, for this kind of performance hiring a high school coach would be better.

Okay, let me explain it like this. PK's defense is meant to be confusing for the myriad of looks. That guy is standing over there but what is he going to do? His fronts two gap so they can handle the run with less bodies, thereby being able to do much more on the back end of the defense because you have more bodies at your disposal. So they can run any kind of technique there is on the back end, but where we struggle is what they are doing up front, and that, imo, leads to all the problems we are seeing. The lack of pass rush. QBs running around outside of contain. The struggles stopping the run. That all has lead us to where we are now. If we could get after the QB with 4 down linemen then we wouldn't have to defend as long. Our guys showed last year that when they play out of a single gap front they can be way more effective at stopping the run too. So we know there is an answer.

Here is the bigger question. Why are so many DCs coming here and failing? It would be one thing if it were one. But now 3 DCs have come here and failed miserably after being good elsewhere. All 3 were from 3 different areas of the country. That's the real question.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think the team merely owes us an apology, I’m guessing someone is re-figuring next year’s ticket pricing levels. Who would have thought we’d have to cut prices with Bama coming to town? And if they don’t cut prices, del Conte is going to get a rider awakening than us losing to Kansas. 

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

We schemed to maximize revenue with the SEZ and with the SEC move. We just forgot that the product on the field is the most important thing to fans, even though it isn’t to our athletic department. 

What if we throw in a jet pack guy? 

Okay, let me explain it like this. PK's defense is meant to be confusing for the myriad of looks. That guy is standing over there but what is he going to do? His fronts two gap so they can handle the run with less bodies, thereby being able to do much more on the back end of the defense because you have more bodies at your disposal. So they can run any kind of technique there is on the back end, but where we struggle is what they are doing up front, and that, imo, leads to all the problems we are seeing. The lack of pass rush. QBs running around outside of contain. The struggles stopping the run. That all has lead us to where we are now. If we could get after the QB with 4 down linemen then we wouldn't have to defend as long. Our guys showed last year that when they play out of a single gap front they can be way more effective at stopping the run too. So we know there is an answer.

Here is the bigger question. Why are so many DCs coming here and failing? It would be one thing if it were one. But now 3 DCs have come here and failed miserably after being good elsewhere. All 3 were from 3 different areas of the country. That's the real question.

Great so we are running a defense we cannot execute because we don’t have the guys to do it, and because the holding by the offense is ignored. So the problem is the team, not the coach.

So if my car breaks down, i need pliers and a hammer and and i only have a wrench and some screwdrivers, but i really want to fix it, i should just stare at the problem and throw the tools I do have away?

They failed for several reasons. Continuity was one of them. There is a reason that Greg Robinson came in and improved the defense midseason over Manny Diaz. He simplified it and gave them assignments they could do.

Going back to my example above, if i walked into the meeting with the executives, I didn’t start talking about rotation windows, hodograms, fk filters and wave interference. I didn’t ask my field hands to pick STL/LTA parameters.

Knowing your audience is and knowing your employees strengths and weaknesses is the goddamn job.

Phase in the defense you want as the team develops, not run the defense you want that no body can execute.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

None of them spoke Arabic?

Here is the bigger question. Why are so many DCs coming here and failing? It would be one thing if it were one. 

I've been asking this exact same question as a Tech fan looking back at 21+ years of really bad defense, minus one or two decent seasons (2008 being one).  

And it's not just Tech.  It's not just UT.  Look at OU under Riley...their defenses have been relatively shitty, too.  

Only thing I can think of is that college football as a whole has been putting their best athletes on offense, so the offenses overall are simply just better than the defenses.

That's my theory...not sure if I'm sticking to it or not.

Edited by Uncle Nate