TCU game week.

Wulaw Horn

TCU football could get much-needed defensive reinforcements for the Texas game

BY DREW DAVISON    SEPTEMBER 29, 2021 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article254610987.html

Injury info from above article:  

Coach Gary Patterson mentioned that TCU could have several defenders return this week, including defensive end Khari Coleman, cornerback Noah Daniels and defensive tackles Corey Bethley and George Ellis III.

Coleman, who led all freshmen last season with 15 tackles for loss, has not played this season. TCU’s pass rushers have combined for just one sack in three games and Coleman would provide a much-needed boost to the unit.

Daniels has also been sidelined early on this season due to an injury, according to TCU’s game notes. Daniels played just four games last season before a season-ending injury, but had been expected to be ready by the season opener.  When healthy and available, Daniels will be a welcomed addition. He is arguably the top NFL prospect on the roster if healthy.

Bethley and Ellis, meanwhile, would provide an interior presence to try and slow down Texas’ running game. SMU had its way against TCU’s defense. Bethley was a late scratch with an injury after starting the first two games. Ellis has yet to play this season. Patterson mentioned Soni Misi as another defensive tackle on the mend. Misi hasn’t played the past two games.

Corey (Bethley) may be back this week, George (Ellis) I think has got a chance to be back this week. Soni Misi’s back this week,” Patterson said. “So there’s three more defensive tackles that we did not have last week. I think Coleman will be back this week. I think a chance for Noah (Daniels) to be back this week.”

Offensively, Patterson said center Steve Avila could return after exiting the SMU game with an injury.

5 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

One thing that I don't think gets enough attention is just how shitty TCU's hand sign is. It does not look like a frog. It looks like they're in the middle of doing air quotes, or they're tweaking a very small nipple. Easily the worst in college football.

TCU players revolt after coach Gary Patterson allegedly used racial slur |  Fox News

Yeah and they say “knuckle up” like wtf knuckle deep Is better 

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Looks like Fort Worth is fixing to get hammered with rain all night.  Muddy field coming up.

Stadium's fairly new drainage system will probably handle heavy rains prior to the game with no problems... 

https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Patterson-proud-TCU-ACS-expansion-spring-game-134470368/

• Hook 'Em 1

Notes on Patterson talking to boosters at a luncheon today 

“1. We should be getting players back from injury. He is not sure how ready they will be for live action.
2. Texas is physical and the DL will be the best we will face this season.
3. Texas has this game circled.
4. Concerned about team getting ready to play at first snap versus taking an hour to get mentality in the game.
5. Says team is young and we have 50 players that are freshman or sophomores.
6. The older players need to step up and help the young players learn to play with passion.
7. Only 5 safeties out of 11 ready to play this week.
8. On smu they just whipped us. Simple as that. Got to win the game to stop talk. Right now perception can become reality if we don’t start playing better against smu.
9. Probably over prepared the team that they didn’t play well. His fault
10. Said Max is over thinking the deep balls and needs to play the game and it will happen.
11. Coach Kill is fine.
12. Wants people to arrive early and bring the hate for Texas.
13. Doesn’t like spending times on luncheons or coffee with coach P as it takes time from prep. Always prepping.
14. Got lots of DM’s and texts from letterman no less demanding to know who he is going to fire. He isn’t firing anyone, especially during the season. Weird vibe around this one.
15. Meal was beef and chicken fajitas.
16. The tone and vibe I got is we got nothing to lose this weekend so play the game.
17. He changed some signals because of the coaches on smu that used to coach at TCU. Said that they will completely revamp the signals for everything going forward, but most will happen in the off-season. I have to say I almost rose out of my seat to say [ What the heck? ] coach. How is this still an issue???!!!”
#15 by far the most important thing to Gare. I will guess he had at least 3 of each..beef and chicken.
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ousux said:
2 hours ago, Fud said:

“1. We should be getting players back from injury. He is not sure how ready they will be for live action.
4. Concerned about team getting ready to play at first snap versus taking an hour to get mentality in the game.
6. The older players need to step up and help the young players learn to play with passion.
8. On smu they just whipped us. Simple as that. Got to win the game to stop talk. Right now perception can become reality if we don’t start playing better against smu.
10. Said Max is over thinking the deep balls and needs to play the game and it will happen.
11. Coach Kill is fine.
13. Doesn’t like spending times on luncheons or coffee with coach P as it takes time from prep. Always prepping.
14. Got lots of DM’s and texts from letterman no less demanding to know who he is going to fire. He isn’t firing anyone, especially during the season. Weird vibe around this one.
16. The tone and vibe I got is we got nothing to lose this weekend so play the game.
17. He changed some signals because of the coaches on smu that used to coach at TCU. Said that they will completely revamp the signals for everything going forward, but most will happen in the off-season. I have to say I almost rose out of my seat to say [ What the heck? ] coach. How is this still an issue???!!!”

#15 by far the most important thing to Gare. I will guess he had at least 3 of each..beef and chicken.

NBD - he’ll sweat out most of it Saturday. Rain or shine.

21 minutes ago, ousux said:
3 hours ago, Fud said:

11. Coach Kill is fine.

#15 by far the most important thing to Gare. I did will guess he had at least 3 of each..beef and chicken.

#MeToo

Not liking the injury situation for this game. Also not liking the weather report. While sloppy conditions should favor running games, it puts the contest heavily on the shoulders of our lines, neither which have been great.
In short, I feel like Satya.
Jfc, grow a pair Froggy needs to pepper their angus, this aint the same old Longhorns coming to town.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's the guy in the pic. That's why Dunn is starting.

And you know what I’m not even worried. Even though they haven’t started Dunn and Crawford, have both been getting time and have been good. 

wish Barron was healthy but we’ll be good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Not liking the injury situation for this game. Also not liking the weather report. While sloppy conditions should favor running games, it puts the contest heavily on the shoulders of our lines, neither which have been great.

In short, I feel like Satya.

Mud makes things more random. Why does my alma mater have a Rose Bowl win? Because we caught all-conquering Stanford on a rainy day and won 7-0

57_6db328dc-e318-4a97-9170-c59242bca008_

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1934_Rose_Bowl

That said, both teams have a really good running attack, and ours is deeper. Fuck the Frogs.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Provided it won't be raining cats and dogs, Jamison has to be aware that TCU will try to pick on him in the passing game. I'm not worried so much about a drop off in performance with Dunn stepping into start for Josh Thompson.

Josh has been our best defender so far for my money's worth. Maybe outside of DMO. 

That said I'm not particularly worried either way. Duggan will find a way to fuck it up as long as we don't play a shit-ass game.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bobby:

The Horns, in their first conference road game of the season, head to Fort Worth to take on TCU.

Quarterback
Max Duggan has beaten Texas twice. Each time it’s been his ability to move the chains with his legs that has made the difference. Expect more of the same Saturday morning. But he’s not entirely a one-trick pony. Duggan is far from a polished passer but he has decent arm strength and he can get hot for stretches of the game. Casey Thompson enters the game with absurd numbers for his first two college football starts. Is Thompson for real? This game should tell us a lot.
Texas

Running back
On paper, this is the match-up of the day. The no. 1 RB in the country in the class of 2020 versus the no. 2 RB. Bijan vs Zach. Both are tremendous players, can find a crease and take it the distance. But add in Roschon Johnson and Keilan Robinson and the match-up starts to tilt.
Texas

Wide receiver
While Texas receivers have seemingly come alive this season, the TCU receivers may be the strength of their offense. Both Quentin Johnston and Taye Barber are future NFL players and can be deep threats. Barber doesn’t get much notoriety, but he can fill up the box score. Xavier Worthy has been a revelation for the Horns while Jordan Whittington has, knock on wood, stayed healthy and been a steady presence.
TCU

Tight End
TCU doesn’t use its tight end group nearly as liberally as the Horns, nor do they have the experience odepth.
Texas

Offensive line
TCU’s offensive line is solid, especially if their center who was injured each of the last two weeks can return on Saturday. Texas’ offensive line, after two weeks of excellent play, appears to be getting better and more cohesive. Or was it just the teams they were playing (we all saw what happened against Arkansas)? If the Texas OL plays well this weekend, particularly in pass protection, then we are seeing them become a potential team strength.
Even

Defensive line
Before the season, I thought the Horns and Horned Frogs had two of the top three defensive lines in the conference (to go with Oklahoma). Now, I have questions about both of them. However, TCU’s issues have come from injuries to their best edge player and their best DT, as well as a key back-up there. They’re all supposed to be back this week. Until someone other than Moro Ojomo steps up and starts disrupting plays with any regularity, this is an easy call.
TCU

Linebacker
While Texas linebackers haven’t exactly lit the world on fire this season, TCU’s have been uncharacteristically poor. They are missing run fits and not being the combined fail-safe and disruptor in the hole that Gary Patterson typically gets from this unit. Texas needs to consider spying Duggan in this game with DeMarvion Overshown, who should be up to the task. Brockermeyer isn’t quite quick enough to do it effectively.
Texas

Secondary
Until proven otherwise, the Texas secondary is overrated. The safeties, outside of Jerrin Thompson, just aren’t producing much in the way of pass defense or even run support. The corners got beat deep twice against Texas Tech. TCU expects to return Noah Daniels at corner this week and Daniels is as legit as they come. However, TCU has had its own issues with shoddy safety play.
Even

Special teams
Both teams have good returners. I wouldn’t be surprised if either team made a big play in the return game. Cameron Dicker probably has more ability from distance on field goals than his counterpart but Dicker’s accuracy has been average at best this season. TCU’s punter has been one of the nation’s best, while Texas has shown a penchant for blocking punts the last couple of weeks. As for Texas punting, they haven’t done it in the last nine quarters of play.
Even

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CptnJiggleBits said:

Think we're gonna see an increase in TE passing game this week, especially if wet or raining. Including JT Sanders.

Why do you think Sanders will see an increase of non-blowout playing time in this game? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Josh has been our best defender so far for my money's worth. Maybe outside of DMO. 

That said I'm not particularly worried either way. Duggan will find a way to fuck it up as long as we don't play a shit-ass game.

Ojomo has easily been our best defender

Josh had his first really good game against Tech. He struggled vs Louisiana and Arkansas, and Rice is Rice

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Neither of those guys are our best defenders. Overshown has been a massive liability in the run game. He loses track of his gap way too often and he’s way too hesitant to attack the run. Thompson’s been ok, but he got benched against ULL after screwing up repeatedly and he was the one who was most to blame for the big play everyone blamed on Foster in the Tech game. 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Ojomo has easily been our best defender

Josh had his first really good game against Tech. He struggled vs Louisiana and Arkansas, and Rice is Rice

Yeah, Ojomo’s been our best and I think Cook might be second. He’s been extremely solid at nickel so far. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Enchubben said:

NBD - he’ll sweat out most of it Saturday. Rain or shine.

All those moments…lost in time…like sweat in rain.

RE: TCU’s “week before Texas” stats, the even crazier one is that TCU is  0-8-2 ATS the week before Texas (per Jeff Howe on his radio show). Fucking ofer. Betting against TCU the week before our game has been a true “free money” meme for a decade.

• Haha 4

On one side I never thought I’d see this team do what it did the last 2 weeks and I want to ride that confidence. Add in the fact that SMU drug their nuts across TCUs face had me thinking we roll.  Then the high wore off and I remember Texas routinely fails to get up for big games and our secondary which has been our Achilles for years with getting beat deep and playing 14 yards off the balls has me expectations simmered.  I’m hoping sark doesn’t fuck around and had these boys focused on destroying Dugan and fuck Zack Evan’s.  Lay the wood Sark. No brakes. Until 84 points 

• Haha 2

On one side I never thought I’d see this team do what it did the last 2 weeks and I want to ride that confidence. Add in the fact that SMU drug their nuts across TCUs face had me thinking we roll.  Then the high wore off and I remember Texas routinely fails to get up for big games and our secondary which has been our Achilles for years with getting beat deep and playing 14 yards off the balls has me expectations simmered.  I’m hoping sark doesn’t fuck around and had these boys focused on destroying Dugan and fuck Zack Evan’s.  Lay the wood Sark. No brakes. Until 84 points 
I think we win, but there are some valid reasons for uncertainty.

We're vulnerable to big pass plays, but most of the offenses we've played have been unable to make us really pay (you could argue tech did, but it was too late). TCUs QB seems to be hot and cold, so might depend on which side he's on tomorrow.

On offense, we've been in a lot of third and even 4th downs this year that we've converted. If the TCU starters who return tomorrow are healthy, this might be a solid defense and we likely won't have the same conversion %. Missing on a few of those early changes the dynamic of the game quickly. It was with a different QB, but the offense also hasn't played well on the road yet, so it would be nice to see that crossed off the list.

The weather is always a wildcard. No clear advantage to either side, just introduces an element we haven't had to face yet this season. We'll have to see how it impacts our plan and execution.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1