The Harder They Fall - Nov. 3 (Western, Netflix, Jonathan Majors, Idris Elba, Zazie Beetz, Regina King, etc.)

atomheartbevo

This ain't your grandaddy's Western! Check out Jonathan Majors, Idris Elba, Zazie Beetz, Regina King, Delroy Lindo, LaKeith Stanfield, RJ Cyler, Edi Gathegi, Danielle Deadwyler and Deon Cole in this action-packed thrill ride that injects New Blood into the Old West. The Harder They Fall is directed by Jeymes Samuel and produced by Shawn 'Jay Z' Carter James Lassiter, Jeymes Samuel and Lawrence Bender.

• Hook 'Em 1

Is it me, or do a lot of Netflix shows/movies have a certain look about them.  Like they have a certain lighting or color palette or something, as if there's one cinematographer and editor who makes a final pass over their shows/movies before they air.   

Other services do this as well. I have a friend who swears up and down that if you showed him a bunch of 10-second clips from original shows on Netflix, Amazon, AppleTV, etc. that he's never seen, without any identifiers, he could pick out which networks made them.

Like AppleTV stuff and Disney stuff seems more cinematic, etc.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Is it me, or do a lot of Netflix shows/movies have a certain look about them.  Like they have a certain lighting or color palette or something, as if there's one cinematographer and editor who makes a final pass over their shows/movies before they air.   

it's quite possible it's coming from their individual "digital corrections" people.  the movies are coming from a variety of places, but do have to be cleared to stream on their platform.  this was a more important process when movies were shot on actual film, but i'm sure there's still a process in place.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

You bumped a month-old thread to mention that Hollywood misrepresented an area that 98% of Americans and 95% of Texans couldn't point out on a map?

Who Gives A Shit GIFs | Tenor

“Bumped?” The movie just released. And I also care that movies film in other states  and call it Texas.  

Alright, I watched it.

I don’t think Salinas was supposed to be in The Valley, so the settings and backgrounds didn’t bother me.

However, I thought it was pretty mediocre. Too heavily Tarantino. And I like Tarantino, but if I want to watch Tarantino, I watch one of his movies (or the movies he was influenced by/stole from). Also a little too much Tombstone as well with the enigmatic fastest gun that speaks Latin.

Didn’t hate it, but was just “meh”.

I do love me some Zazie Beetz though.

“Bumped?” The movie just released. And I also care that movies film in other states  and call it Texas.  

The problem is that producers want their movies to be scenic and there’s only like 10 scenic counties in Texas and the only one suitable for a western is a National Park and off limits to filming.

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

The problem is that producers want their movies to be scenic and there’s only like 10 scenic counties in Texas and the only one suitable for a western is a National Park and off limits to filming.

If they were careful about what was in the background, they could film in the Alpine/Davis Mountains area.  But that's not fun for the cast and crew because there's nothing nearby.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:49 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Other services do this as well. I have a friend who swears up and down that if you showed him a bunch of 10-second clips from original shows on Netflix, Amazon, AppleTV, etc. that he's never seen, without any identifiers, he could pick out which networks made them.

Like AppleTV stuff and Disney stuff seems more cinematic, etc.

all the modern western stuff either do a muted palette, or a warm khaki sandy color grade

Got around to this last night.  I enjoyed it overall.  I do sympathize with the people that turned it off after 15 minutes because I was on that verge.  It gets better when they introduce Elba, Stanfield, and King's characters.  Other than the opening scene the first 20 minutes or so of the movie does suck.

Watched this last night- was really struck by the soundtrack and camera work. The use of really bright colors throughout was also notable- I laughed out loud when they rode into Maysville.

Been thinking about the underlying commentary about unresolved trauma as well... I thought it was well done overall

Edited by NWBuck