College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

10 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe it will but even Arkansas didn't want him. They ended up hiring him after several other coaches said no and were then down to coaches from Arkansas Little Rock. 

I'll be willing to bet Calipari was always one of the top two choices (with Beard) but no one in their right mind is going to leak it out until the deal is basically done.  Walker and Jans were just filler material for the media.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Drew seems like the obvious choice to me.  I do realize that SEC schools like to hire SEC coaches (in every sport), though.

I just don't see Drew leaving Baylor at this point.  He's had to have had opportunities like Kentucky in the past and turned them down.

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

What’s more delusional—Kentucky fans thinking they are getting Hurley or Texas fans who thing we can pull Jay Wright out of retirement?

I think Jay would come back with the right offer. Texas seems to have NIL in the bag which would be a huge part of the pitch to get him back to coaching. 

Michigan apparently reached out to Wright and got the polite decline, but they are a bit of a mess right now. 

I thought May was the hire of the cycle when it happened, but with some of the shuffling since there may be more winners. 

May seems like a solid fit for Michigan to get it back on track after Juwan took that shit off a cliff and into a dumpster fire. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Drew seems like the obvious choice to me.  I do realize that SEC schools like to hire SEC coaches (in every sport), though.

So Dawn Staley it is then…. I’m ready. 

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just don't see Drew leaving Baylor at this point.  He's had to have had opportunities like Kentucky in the past and turned them down.

I think he’d be silly to leave. Doesn’t have much to prove and Baylor will pay him.

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I think he’d be silly to leave. Doesn’t have much to prove and Baylor will pay him.

I don't think he has anything to prove, and say what you will about Baylor and Waco, but he has a lifetime contract there.  He won't get that treatment in Lexington.

I think we're starting to see more and coaches realize that there's a point of diminishing returns with these monster salaries and making $4M/year with job security and reasonable expectations is better than making $8M and dealing with fucking lunatics that demand you win a natty every year.

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't think he has anything to prove, and say what you will about Baylor and Waco, but he has a lifetime contract there.  He won't get that treatment in Lexington.

I think we're starting to see more and coaches realize that there's a point of diminishing returns with these monster salaries and making $4M/year with job security and reasonable expectations is better than making $8M and dealing with fucking lunatics that demand you win a natty every year.

I agree.

No real rhyme or reason but Drew just doesn't excite me, Knight hated his ass so he has that going for him in his favor to me.  He's done a remarkable job at Baylor given what he had to start with and to lead them to a Title after all that is an incredible feat. 

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Maybe Oats to KY?

I had read when he signed his extension, he said he wasn't leaving until his kids finished HS.

Of course, money talks.  Not that Bama can't pay

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought Oats signed the extension under the agreement Alabama would build a new arena. Maybe he wants to see that through. 

The buyout isn’t that big of an issue for Kentucky since they didn’t have to pay Cal when he left. Plus is Kentucky basketball, they have Texas football money. They’ll pay it if they want him (and he wants to go).

• Hook 'Em 1

The notion of historical blue bloods continuing  to be a thing is very much an open question. The playing field has leveled and continues to change. The days of kids caring about Roll Tide, Pig Sooie, or Hook ‘Em are so over. They’re business people now and they’re all about business. 

19 minutes ago, Satchel said:

The notion of historical blue bloods continuing  to be a thing is very much an open question. The playing field has leveled and continues to change. The days of kids caring about Roll Tide, Pig Sooie, or Hook ‘Em are so over. They’re business people now and they’re all about business. 

I think it’s actually a mix of both and that’s where Texas has a big advantage, especially in football 

2 hours ago, Satchel said:

Agree kinda. Except most of the historical blue bloods will be the ones willing to spend the most on this business. UNC, Kentucky, Kansas. 

Also - Purdue and UConn are about to tip off tonight, and I seriously doubt they have top payrolls. 

20 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Based on reports over the last hour or so and a recent coach just reaffirming his commitment to his current school, it looks like signs are pointing towards Drew?

Rhoades has to be on the hot seat at Baylor if Drew bolts. 

The football and baseball programs are a disaster, he just lost Mulkey, and now potentially could lose Drew? The only thing saving Rhoades were the basketball programs and now those could be in danger. 

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Agree kinda. Except most of the historical blue bloods will be the ones willing to spend the most on this business. UNC, Kentucky, Kansas. 

Also - Purdue and UConn are about to tip off tonight, and I seriously doubt they have top payrolls. 

True, but there is no shortage of other schools willing and able to do business with these kids. I’m friends with a board trustee at SMU and their boosters can’t wait to throw all kinds money at these new moguls.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I have no idea how accurate this is but, the crazy posts have started……..

lol.  He initially said his wife would divorce him if he took a job further than UConn from their original home.  Now she gonna divorce him if he doesn’t go grab that loot.  
Jokes aside, hope he stays where he’s at.  Fun to watch them fuck up the money blue bloods.  

• Like 1