College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

If I'm a USC fan, I probably feel similar to how we felt when Shaka "left" for greener pastures in Milwaukee.  Pretty average record in the 11 years he was there, although USC has never really accomplished much in hoops (to my recollection). Not a terrible hire, but not exactly one I would get excited over. 

I don't know if y'all have followed the hilarity of the Arkansas situation.  Obviously Muss's name has been mentioned for a number of jobs and fans have wondered why the rumors haven't been addressed by Muss or Arkansas.

Well, Hunter Yurachek tweets this out last Thursday

And at first, everyone assumes its their way of announcing Muss is staying, extension, etc.  They announced his extension in 2021 in a similar fashion (see below). Then it starts to come out that Muss had no idea that Yurachek was going to tweet that.  And you realize he just took the old video and added 3 seconds to the end.

Then Yurachek goes on some rinky dink podcast yesterday and confirms that it was just a joke and he filmed it on his own.

You can read into it multiple ways.  Yurachek is just a meathead with a dumb sense of humor who pushed a coach out the door.  Or he just sped up an inevitable exit and has a plan for his replacement.  

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

How does one “interview” for the job in that situation? If you don’t get the job how do you go back? If it was Arkansas State maybe, but how could UA let that go? Surely it would be a beach of contract or something.

Edited by 'stache

On 4/1/2024 at 7:04 PM, LTtxfan said:

okie lite got their new coach...

8l84ga.gif

I don't get it, what about his resume is laughable? He's the exact type of hire we should be and are capable of making. I'm pretty sure we lined up some donors to back up a Brinks truck for Bill Self but it's never gonna happen. After that it's a successful mid-major head coach or high major assistant. This fits the bill. He also was an assistant under Painter at Purdue and McDermott at Creighton. One can never predict how these things will play out, but everything I've read and seen so far makes me like the hire.

24 minutes ago, 'stache said:

How does one “interview” for the job in that situation? If you don’t get the job how do you go back? If it was Arkansas State maybe, but how could UA let that go? Surely it would be a beach of contract or something.

He's probably getting the USC job (although he has zero leverage with his contract with this leaking).  But if he didn't, it would be a wild situation.  Interviewing for another job surely isn't breach of contract.  If it is, hundred of coaches breach their contract all the time.  If Arkansas wanted to dire him, they would have to pay $11-12 million to buyout his contract.  

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I don't get it, what about his resume is laughable? He's the exact type of hire we should be and are capable of making. I'm pretty sure we lined up some donors to back up a Brinks truck for Bill Self but it's never gonna happen. After that it's a successful mid-major head coach or high major assistant. This fits the bill. He also was an assistant under Painter at Purdue and McDermott at Creighton. One can never predict how these things will play out, but everything I've read and seen so far makes me like the hire.

giphy.gif

okie lite got their new coach...

8l84ga.gif

https://apnews.com/article/oklahoma-state-basketball-coach-steve-lutz-hired-09d23433f3d7313460ac22ffc1c5fa57

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Missed the joke, sorry. Mike Boynton's favorite hashtag was #LetsWork and I've seen some OSU fans posting #LutzWork. Kinda funny. Some of it is mean sprited, but most still like Boynton while agreeing that we needed to move on (that's where I am). I saw that he's joining Mays staff at Michigan. He'll be a head coach again soon enough. He's only 41. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Missed the joke, sorry. Mike Boynton's favorite hashtag was #LetsWork and I've seen some OSU fans posting #LutzWork. Kinda funny. Some of it is mean sprited, but most still like Boynton while agreeing that we needed to move on (that's where I am). I saw that he's joining Mays staff at Michigan. He'll be a head coach again soon enough. He's only 41. 

No shit?  He always gave off kinda-old man vibes to me.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No shit?  He always gave off kinda-old man vibes to me.

Turned 42 a few months ago apparently. He got the job at 35. He's less than a year older than me, and I recall that hitting me strangely when he got the job (I was already starting to feel old). To even get that job he had to show some serious maturity for that age and it certainly came through. Can't believe it was 7 damn years ago.

Edited by 'stache

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Turned 42 a few months ago apparently. He got the job at 35. He's less than a year older than me, and I recall that hitting me strangely when he got the job (I was already starting to feel old). To even get that job he had to show some serious maturity for that age and it certainly came through. Can't believe it was 7 damn years ago.

I'm 38 now and just assumed Boynton was a good 10 years older than me.

To keep the balance of the SEC in tact we need to bring back Beard. It makes the most sense. All the closet wife beaters need to hush. My morales and principles afford me the ability to forgive. What if he promised to not bring his femme fatale along for the ride?

37 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Is Arkansas really a destination school? That would be Beard’s 5th school in a relatively short amount of time and is it just a stepping stone to another job? 

At some point, Beard has to stick somewhere. 

It might be a destination job for him at this point.

He's never going back to his alma mater, so I guess why not?  NWA is beautiful and you have a fanbase that supports hoops.

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Beard to Arky and Wade to Ole Miss?

That sounds about right.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Trilly Donovan linked Jerome Tang to Arkansas.

I want his crazy televangelist ass to stay in Manhattan forever.

That sounds hilariously dumb (the first part).

18 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The pigs I know are confused about this.  SC is not a better job and they're not sad to see the little man go.  

Not history wise no….but

15 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You don't have to live in fucking Arkansas.

See Look Here GIF by Jaz Gulati - Protrusive Dental Podcast

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Is Arkansas really a destination school? That would be Beard’s 5th school in a relatively short amount of time and is it just a stepping stone to another job? 

At some point, Beard has to stick somewhere. 

People just haven’t paid attention. Beard is a restless soul. He’s not likely to stay anywhere longer than 5 years