Fair Park- Parking / Transportation / Coupons / Other Shit

Wally Pryor

Assuming an early start, getting into Fair Park on Saturday is easy via Uber.   Getting out we've used every imaginable means, usually after very long waits - taxi, Uber, pedicab, kind strangers, scooter, bus.  

We've never used DART outbound.  What's it like for a train, an hour wait, minimum?  Worse?

I'd walk out the entrance by the Fair Park station and just walk up Exposition till you're far enough from Fair Park to get an Uber or Lyft that's not headed that way. It's maybe a 15 minute walk to Deep Ellum. A lot easier to grab a ride there, I'd imagine. If you strike out, you can at least get something to drink. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Been 20+ years since I've been to this game, and even then, my memory back then was a bit fuzzy.   Can you buy beer when in the game or you basically having to slam your alcohol before game and ride out the booze till the end?   I plan on getting shitfaced either way, but would like to know if I have a chance to remember the 3rd and 4th qtr or complete blackout by then?  inquiring minds want to know...  

3 minutes ago, MAGS® said:

Been 20+ years since I've been to this game, and even then, my memory back then was a bit fuzzy.   Can you buy beer when in the game or you basically having to slam your alcohol before game and ride out the booze till the end?   I plan on getting shitfaced either way, but would like to know if I have a chance to remember the 3rd and 4th qtr or complete blackout by then?  inquiring minds want to know...  

No alcohol in the game, take a flask.  They do let you exit at half-time to slam beers and then re-enter.

• Fuck You 1

Any word on how the e-tickets for the game will work for getting you into the fair? 

Is there a separate code for the fair ticket they will scan? Or do you think they found a way to link the codes? 

Maybe they will just have you show them the ticket as they do with the paper ones as you walk in. 

8 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Are we really trying to do electronic tickets at Fair Park this year, or were we supposed to receive paper tickets in the mail?

I have a very bad feeling about this...

I too have a very bad feeling. It does appear to be 100% digital. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Are we really trying to do electronic tickets at Fair Park this year, or were we supposed to receive paper tickets in the mail?

I don't know of any paper tickets.  I thought it was 100% digital but could be wrong. 

• Like 1

I would think the digital ticket is no different than the paper ticket as far as getting you into the Fair. Show your digital ticket when you are at the security area in front of the gates. Most years we just held up our ticket and the people at the Fair Park gates just waved us through. 

• Hook 'Em 1

" userid="772"] Been 20+ years since I've been to this game, and even then, my memory back then was a bit fuzzy.   Can you buy beer when in the game or you basically having to slam your alcohol before game and ride out the booze till the end?   I plan on getting shitfaced either way, but would like to know if I have a chance to remember the 3rd and 4th qtr or complete blackout by then?  inquiring minds want to know...  
None inside the stadium..pretty sure that's wise considering the shit thats gone down between Texas-OU the night before in years past. Top up beforehand, smuggle flasks of whatever you like. If it's not too hot wear loose fitting chinos (OU game isn't a gotdam fashion show) and tall socks..insert flasks in socks on the inside of each calf..walk carefully around security. You're welcome.

We've used DART multiple times to get into and out of the Fair.

First year doing it was a fiasco as you used DART to Downtown then they put you on a bus to get to the fairgrounds which left you barely enough time to get into the fair, slam a few beers and then get into the game.

Last couple of times  we caught it from one of the other stations and it took us to just outside of the fairgrounds. Getting out was just as easy. DART pass was $8 per person if remembering correctly, so just as cheap to just drive to the fair early and park within the grounds.

And you are correct, they sold beer inside the stadium in 2019.

Only issue we've ever had is getting separated on the midway after the game and having phone issues connecting back up due to cell phone dying.

🤘 & ouSUX

27 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

There were 25 to 30 beer stands inside the stadium in '19.   (I don't know about '20 with COVID.)

I assume there will be plenty of stands inside on Saturday. 

25 minutes ago, allrightallrightallright said:

no shit, wow I never remembered beer in the game and I was there in 2019.  I must have been wasted

9 minutes ago, ousux said:
" userid="772"] Been 20+ years since I've been to this game, and even then, my memory back then was a bit fuzzy.   Can you buy beer when in the game or you basically having to slam your alcohol before game and ride out the booze till the end?   I plan on getting shitfaced either way, but would like to know if I have a chance to remember the 3rd and 4th qtr or complete blackout by then?  inquiring minds want to know...  

None inside the stadium..pretty sure that's wise considering the shit thats gone down between Texas-OU the night before in years past. Top up beforehand, smuggle flasks of whatever you like. If it's not too hot wear loose fitting chinos (OU game isn't a gotdam fashion show) and tall socks..insert flasks in socks on the inside of each calf..walk carefully around security. You're welcome.

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

There is beer inside the stadium.

2 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Beer will be sold inside the stadium this Saturday. 

For decades upon decades they didn't sell beer in the stadium.  This changed in... 2015, 2016 maybe?  With a handful of stands.  Now there are more.

So, yes, you can buy beer in the stadium.  

Hooray, progress.

For decades upon decades they didn't sell beer in the stadium.  This changed in... 2015, 2016 maybe?  With a handful of stands.  Now there are more.
So, yes, you can buy beer in the stadium.  
Hooray, progress.
Oh shit..the Strong/Herman years weren't kind to me. This is welcome news..but still bringing at least one flask.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Only issue we've ever had is getting separated on the midway after the game and having phone issues connecting back up due to cell phone dying.

🤘 & ouSUX

Just meet under Big Tex.  You will be the only ones there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Just meet under Big Tex.  You will be the only ones there.

Ha!

We had parked just outside the park (front yard parking) that year on Fitzhugh and while walking in pre-game (wife has bad sense of direction/imagine that?), I told her if we got separated after the game to just head towards the ferris wheel and then towards the water tower to get back to the car.

It worked, but of course she wasn't happy with me.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mdmost said:

I would think the digital ticket is no different than the paper ticket as far as getting you into the Fair. Show your digital ticket when you are at the security area in front of the gates. Most years we just held up our ticket and the people at the Fair Park gates just waved us through. 

Yea, this. I have only always just wanted my paper ticket in the air and walked on. 

On 10/3/2021 at 10:58 AM, mdmost said:

I'd walk out the entrance by the Fair Park station and just walk up Exposition till you're far enough from Fair Park to get an Uber or Lyft that's not headed that way. It's maybe a 15 minute walk to Deep Ellum. A lot easier to grab a ride there, I'd imagine. If you strike out, you can at least get something to drink. 

This was my standard strategery back in my single days.  

16 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Ha!

We had parked just outside the park (front yard parking) that year on Fitzhugh and while walking in pre-game (wife has bad sense of direction/imagine that?), I told her if we got separated after the game to just head towards the ferris wheel and then towards the water tower to get back to the car.

It worked, but of course she wasn't happy with me.

My buddy's friend from Oklahoma was walking to the game one year, and they couldn't find the stadium. He ran into the nicest group of five young Longhorns and said 'Excuse me, could you please help me find the stadium?". (This had worked for them in the past when they couldn't find Kyle Field). And this group of Longhorn fans said, "Fuck you, OU sucks!", and kicked his ass, stole his coupons, and pissed on him. Then they spent the coupons on corn dogs and beer and watched the Longhorns win. It was glorious.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, woohorn said:

17 hours ago, TheYoungHorn said:

Any word on how the e-tickets for the game will work for getting you into the fair? 

Is there a separate code for the fair ticket they will scan? Or do you think they found a way to link the codes? 

Maybe they will just have you show them the ticket as they do with the paper ones as you walk in. 

I have electronic tickets. I think they still have a line that separate from the main one for those of us that are going to the game. 

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

My buddy's friend from Oklahoma was walking to the game one year, and they couldn't find the stadium. He ran into the nicest group of five young Longhorns and said 'Excuse me, could you please help me find the stadium?". (This had worked for them in the past when they couldn't find Kyle Field). And this group of Longhorn fans said, "Fuck you, OU sucks!", and kicked his ass, stole his coupons, and pissed on him. Then they spent the coupons on corn dogs and beer and watched the Longhorns win. It was glorious.

Foreshadowing of what's to come Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m driving to a DART green line terminal with parking. Hopefully they don’t run out of parking spots 

Since I'll be going to gameday, I was thinking of having an Uber drop me off outside the gate early or I'll take my car and sit in the line to wait for the parking lot to open.