UT buys Dobie Center

TKthunder2

Jester East - fall 86.

/csb - my first date in college was with a prim and proper bow head sorority girl from Kingwood I met by knocking on random doors in the dorm. We went to see Blue Velvet at Dobie Theater. I had no idea what it was going to be about and she was horrified. Totally corrupted that girl though and we had lots of fun during my 4 years on the 40.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Jester East - fall 86.

/csb - my first date in college was with a prim and proper bow head sorority girl from Kingwood I met by knocking on random doors in the dorm. We went to see Blue Velvet at Dobie Theater. I had no idea what it was going to be about and she was horrified. Totally corrupted that girl though and we had lots of fun during my 4 years on the 40.

Saw multiple depraved movies at Dobie in that timeframe.  Blue Velvet, Salo, probably a couple of others.

Hardin House resident here. And it looks exactly the same as it did in the mid-90s.  💅

My kid is probably going to UT in the fall. If you haven't been there lately, the changes to West Campus changes are crazy. He will probably live at Callaway which I liken to the former Towers maybe.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, used2b said:

Hardin House resident here. And it looks exactly the same as it did in the mid-90s.  💅

My kid is probably going to UT in the fall. If you haven't been there lately, the changes to West Campus changes are crazy. He will probably live at Callaway which I liken to the former Towers maybe.

Season 6 Flirt GIF by Friends

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Haven’t been on campus in a minute. In this pic, are they calling Food Hall where the residents eat, & Market where Burger King/video store/barber shop/etc. used to be? 

spacer.png

Also, when did they get a rooftop pool? 

Food hall is the food court. Where Nikki's (RIP) used to be.

Market is a Target. It's that walkdown from the sidewalk floor.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, used2b said:

Ha, i rented the blue house next to the Hardin house my Junior year.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I loved that Hao Hao Chinese place they had in the mall.

Same.  I continued going there after I moved to an apartment for law school. 

The daughter of that family spun off and opened Hao Q Kitchen on Far West, where I took my kids for most of their childhood lives until sadly she passed away recently and they closed it down.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

Same.  I continued going there after I moved to an apartment for law school. 

The daughter of that family spun off and opened Hao Q Kitchen on Far West, where I took my kids for most of their childhood lives until sadly she passed away recently and they closed it down.

Her name was Holly, right? That really, really sucks. We would go there and Burrito Factory all the time, and she always remembered each of our orders, even when I hadn't gone in a few years. 

Dobie alum.  

Got there my provisional summer late May '88 before my HS class had even graduated.  Was overwhelmed by the freedom, had a side suite with another guy from my HS and on the other side was a single dude who was super homesick so he was never there.  In the fall of '88 my 3 good buddies joined me (thank goodness I got admitted after doing well in both summer sessions), in a  corner suite. 

That summer of '88 was a blast, Dobie was so close to everything and for the younger members here, Austin was much different (better? who's to say) in the late 80's,, smaller for sure, really felt like a college town especially in the summer. 

Dobie was a blast, really enjoyed it.  Heading to a Austin this weekend, reunion with 20 or so guys and wives this weekend for OSU game.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m sure it was a shithole that was falling apart, as most of those older houses in West Campus were, but it would be tough to pick a better location.

it was actually pretty well remodeled when we had it. And we proceeded to ruin it pretty quickly again. Ables was nice and close and most of my classes were down 21st. I doubt I'd recognize the area now, I haven't driven down Rio Grande in years.

Moore-Hill 89-90 checking in.
Dobie / the Woo / Castillian were definitely for the rich crowd in those days.

The Woo was disgusting in the early 80’s, and I’m sure before, and yet billionaire’s sons lived there. It’s just what freshman men going through rush did back then. Some had condos at Orange Tree or other places in West Campus but that was usually for their sophomore through senior years.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, HouTex said:

Probably already stated but it was a shit hole in the early 80’s.

My Dad stayed in the Goodall Wooten in the early 60’s. When it was my turn in the early 80’s, we went to visit on a Saturday morning like at 8 or 9 am.  We went to see a room, where the dude was still asleep and the room was an absolute trash heap.  My Dad remarked that it looked like the same floor/carpet/whatever from his days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, used2b said:

There was actually a "Callaway House" way back in the day that was a low-rise dump in the 80s.  Apparrently a male dorm that was a response to Hardin House.  

I knew someone that lived just about everywhere, every dorm, every major apartment complex, but I never knew anyone that lived at Callaway House.

15 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Her name was Holly, right? That really, really sucks. We would go there and Burrito Factory all the time, and she always remembered each of our orders, even when I hadn't gone in a few years. 

Her name was Hong, but maybe she went by Holly in her younger years. She had been battling cancer for some time, but kept it under wraps and a lot of the regulars at the restaurant didn’t know because they shut down in-person dining for much of the pandemic. She was about 48 when she passed.

22 hours ago, Hozz said:

I lived in Dobie my freshman and sophomore year 91-92.  I liked it a lot.  I loved that Hao Hao Chinese place they had in the mall.

Loved that place.  First ethnic food my hick ass ever ate.  They had a super cheap lunch special (like $3?) that came with hot and sour soup and egg roll that I probably ate 30+ times my senior year.

Edited by Snake Diggity

19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Loved that place.  First ethnic food my hick ass ever ate.  They had a super cheap lunch special (like $3?) that came with hot and sour soup and egg roll that I probably ate 30+ times my senior year.

My suitemates hated it when I got the Kung Pao chicken, but it was so good.

56 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Yeah I don't recall the price but the lunch special is what I remember.  The line would be backed up into the mall but it moved fast.  Even though Dobie dorm had, in retrospect, a pretty kick ass meal plan that was all you can eat, I ate at Hao Hao more often than not for lunch.

7 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Yeah I don't recall the price but the lunch special is what I remember.  The line would be backed up into the mall but it moved fast.  Even though Dobie dorm had, in retrospect, a pretty kick ass meal plan that was all you can eat, I ate at Hao Hao more often than not for lunch.

Yeah, I might think otherwise if the 46-year-old version of me went back in time and ate a meal there, but I recall the Dobie cafeteria as pretty solid for college dorm food. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I feel bad for the checks I bounced to the Eckerd’s on the Drag for dip. Oops. 

My hot spot was Prontos Market west campus, Rio Grande iirc.  Bounced a few there in my day.

Thank god for emergency student loans.  You could get $200 on the spot, there was campus office for it  over by the communications building, had plenty of good weekends on the tit.  Just had to hustle to get it paid back so you could get your grades at end of semester.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Kids these days have no idea about the skill and precision required to successfully float a check at the end of the month.

As a parent to 3 teens (girls, no pics) , I realize I have a lot of life experiences that may not see the light of day.  I could pass on a lot of intel , but In some ways the less they know about my time on the 40, the better, lol.

What I learned at UT, fending for myself,  gaming the system, surviving etc.. was a real work of art.  For example, word would get passed around about which classes to take based on what prof was teaching that particular semester.  I wont go in to too much detail as to why that was important, ill let you figure it out....or having a legit "Clergy"  tent card thingy for your dashboard to park anywhere on campus at any time, pass-free......or roaming the halls of Jester gathering Student ID's in the chinese area of the dorm and taking them to Belmont to get your free game tickets for all your buddies (since you knew the exchange students weren't using them),  then charging  a couple bucks a throw for the time...i could go on and on about the  'education' of my years on campus, a lot of learned right there in old Dobie.

20 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

My hot spot was Prontos Market west campus, Rio Grande iirc.  Bounced a few there in my day.

Thank god for emergency student loans.  You could get $200 on the spot, there was campus office for it  over by the communications building, had plenty of good weekends on the tit.  Just had to hustle to get it paid back so you could get your grades at end of semester.

In a pinch, you could pay it back with a check, playing the float, and get another loan the next day to cover that check. Bought you a little more time.

• Hook 'Em 1

As a parent to 3 teens (girls, no pics) , I realize I have a lot of life experiences that may not see the light of day.  I could pass on a lot of intel , but In some ways the less they know about my time on the 40, the better, lol.
What I learned at UT, fending for myself,  gaming the system, surviving etc.. was a real work of art.  For example, word would get passed around about which classes to take based on what prof was teaching that particular semester.  I wont go in to too much detail as to why that was important, ill let you figure it out....or having a legit "Clergy"  tent card thingy for your dashboard to park anywhere on campus at any time, pass-free......or roaming the halls of Jester gathering Student ID's in the chinese area of the dorm and taking them to Belmont to get your free game tickets for all your buddies (since you knew the exchange students weren't using them),  then charging  a couple bucks a throw for the time...i could go on and on about the  'education' of my years on campus, a lot of learned right there in old Dobie.

Uh, this is the purpose of college yo. To learn how to navigate life.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2021 at 7:31 PM, Deej said:

When I visited Colorado School of Mines my senior year of high school, the guys they had me staying with in the dorms took me up to Boulder with them for a reggae concert. We got back to Golden well after midnight, and they used a set of lock picks to break into the library to study for finals. 

image.png.29f4ec3c4c93b6fc34ac9b8cea8d65d9.png

• Like 1

Moore-Hill alum, checking in; fall '79 - spring '82.  I may be misremembering this, but I seem to recall it costing somewhere around $1100-$1200 per semester including meal plan at Jester cafeteria.  Meal plan included three meals a day Mon-Sat, and two (breakfast/lunch) on Sunday.  Spent almost every Sunday dinner at Schlotzky's in the basement of Dobie.  I was enough of a regular that they would start making my sandwich before I got to the counter because it was always the same; (ham&swiss on white with lettuce, tomato, light on the onions and black olives).

On 10/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Tell me about this clergy thing.  We had a handicapped pass we passed around the fraternity house for a while.  The fine in the mid-90’s for unauthorized use of a handicapped pass was north of $1k, which was pretty steep back then.  We were good friends and all chipped in to help the guy who got caught.