Texas BBQ

Washpark

2 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

AndCover

Beat me to it.  As an old fart who lived through the Cuban missile crisis, I still remember those Civil Defense commercials as well as some in our neighborhood who had bomb shelters built in their backyards.  Made for some great battle play for us kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

X2 Goose.
Had lunch at Hutchin’s in McKinney last week.  There isn’t a more reliably good option north of 635, and despite the line being out the door, they move things along pretty efficiently.  The downside is it was $65 for my dad and I to have a light lunch.

I’ve been going to Earnest B’s since he opened a new brick and mortar store in Frisco. Pork is his speciality and he does a chopped smoked pork shoulder sandwich that I love. He also does whole fried Catfish which is hard to find anymore. It’s made to order and takes a while but worth it to me. Homemade tartar sauce too.
d730e2e97fb2ab828dc27c7ae9fe9440.jpg
d257a74f073b1126b6c13eea70eb24ec.jpg
4e2b270e89fac80214bdf0e1aaa20777.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

Mums Foods might be the best BBQ in Austin

Family pack:

Brisket - 9/10

Pastrami - 10/10

Ribs - maybe the best ribs ive ever had 10/10

Jalapeno Cheese Sausage - incredible 10/10

Cole slaw was insane. Potato salad and Mac were meh. Sauce was great

best bbq I had in 2023, easily. Maybe Helberg comes close

• Hook 'Em 2

who gives a rat's ass about duplicating gotdam barbecue sauce?

You can spray all the perfume in the world in the air.  it ain't gonna make pussy magically appear.

Edited by slorch

Barbecue sauce is for shitty barbecue.  I'd celebrate properly prepared cue way the fuck before trying the sauce.
There. Is that better?

Christ another no sauce nazi.

I guess that’s why Aaron Franklin has sauce; his barbecue sucks. Or Goldee’s. They sell theirs at WalMart. Or Just about every other top pitmaster on earth.

Why the fuck do you care whether someone puts sauce on barbecue or ketchup or Hershey syrup? You ain’t eating it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Christ another no sauce nazi.

I guess that’s why Aaron Franklin has sauce; his barbecue sucks. Or Goldee’s. They sell theirs at WalMart. Or Just about every other top pitmaster on earth.

Why the fuck do you care whether someone puts sauce on barbecue or ketchup or Hershey syrup? You ain’t eating it.

If the calling card of a BBQ joint is the sauce, their product likely sucks.

IDGAF what they sell at WM when it comes to properly made 'cue, because they have nothing to do with one another.

I'm not a no-sauce nazi, but I do feel if the product is correctly made, sauce is unneeded.  I don't put Heinz 57 on a great steak either.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, tell Jacques Pepin that his Steak Marchand de Vin is overkill.

What a fucking rube you are.

Personal shot= victory.  Thank you sir.

Fuck needing sauce slathered over properly prepared BBQ or steak.  But yeah, move the goalpost as needed.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, slorch said:

Your mother.  LOL.

Fuck needing sauce slathered over properly prepared BBQ or steak.  But yeah, move the goalpost as needed.

I wasn't the one who mentioned steak.

Tons of great regional BBQ features sauce.  All kinds of great steaks are served with sauce.  Try not to be a blindered little Lubbock pedant.  Learn something.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wasn't the one who mentioned steak.

Tons of great regional BBQ features sauce.  All kinds of great steaks are served with sauce.  Try not to be a blindered little Lubbock pedant.  Learn something.

You know you are discussing steak outside the context of what i was.  Nobody is discussing fine dining.  BBQ sauce in and of itself is to make crap cuts of meat more palatable. 

'tis your MO, so back to ignore, fuckstick. You lasted about 4 days.  LMAO.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

You know you are discussing steak outside the context of what i was.  Nobody is discussing fine dining.  BBQ sauce in and of itself is to make crap cuts of meat more palatable. 

'tis your MO, so back to ignore, fuckstick. You lasted about 4 days.  LMAO.

Ignore this.

• Hook 'Em 1

Y’all love to make this thread an abortion just like this photo of Helberg’s bbq is an abortion. The difference is, it tasted phenomenal, unlike this shit sandwich for the last page.

6bbff3ed30a980455c732e3fb511dcfc.jpg

Bonus points for the gal taking our order telling me they don’t support Baylor despite their proximity to that Baptist shithole.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Y’all love to make this thread an abortion just like this photo of Helberg’s bbq is an abortion. The difference is, it tasted phenomenal, unlike this shit sandwich for the last page.

6bbff3ed30a980455c732e3fb511dcfc.jpg

Bonus points for the gal taking our order telling me they don’t support Baylor despite their proximity to that Baptist shithole.

Without Baylor that joint is out of business in a week. I’m sure the owner loves counter help spouting off with stupid opinions about probably 2/3 of their customers.
  • Like 1

If the calling card of a BBQ joint is the sauce, their product likely sucks.
IDGAF what they sell at WM when it comes to properly made 'cue, because they have nothing to do with one another.
I'm not a no-sauce nazi, but I do feel if the product is correctly made, sauce is unneeded.  I don't put Heinz 57 on a great steak either.

But why do you care if someone does? Who gives a shit if someone likes ketchup in their hot dog or pineapple on their pizza or sauce on their barbecue?

11 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

But why do you care if someone does? Who gives a shit if someone likes ketchup in their hot dog or pineapple on their pizza or sauce on their barbecue?

I don't care what they put on theirs.  I just disagree with a sauce being the calling card of a legit joint, and also got a kick out of people acting like duplicating the sauce at home was special..

20 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I guess that’s why Aaron Franklin has sauce; his barbecue sucks. 

When I make sauce, I basically borrow from his original sauce recipe and change up a couple of things.

Great every time.

• Like 1

A1>>>>>>>Heinz 57

If I have to choose I’m going H57. Especially on a burger. I also had a father in law who thought well done was rare. The planks of charcoal he would grill as steaks needed something. I would make a H57/butter/worschestershire sauce thing that enabled wife and I to eat them. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That’s good news ! He’s a master at the pit. Sounds like smart location and smart he’s branching out from a traditional bbq joint making it more of a bistro. The vac seal ready made is a great idea, there was a joint in Mansfield that had vac sealed meats but also brisket, ham, and pork trimmings you could buy that I used for pots of beans or greens, burgers, and other things. Smart to offer more options when you’ll have some dependence on neighborhood clientele eating there more often. Need multi rev streams.

One interesting thing about BBQ is that, unlike chili, there is no case to be made that it is a "Texas" thing.  It's not even an "American" thing.

Beyond that, all other regional styles of American BBQ (Carolina, Memphis, Kansas City) incorporate sauce.  You'll even find sauce in East and South Texas.

The sauce argument is stupid.