Texas BBQ

Washpark

21 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, that was it. Pretty sure this is also accurate that he's moved to NM. I actually met Champ at our charity BBQ cookoff in Dallas last year. Since he is a "pro" he wasn't competing. He was cooking with @luke duke and serving samples to our attendees. Good guy.

I dropped by the ill-fated Galveston establishment.  He was very nice to us, we people from the internet.  The food was good, particularly the "JM Cheesy Squash."  That said, I stand in quiet solidarity with my Surly brethren who took it in the plumbs on that deal.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

Champ Kind thought he was a bbq savant, which he wasn’t!  Hope he isn’t fucking up a restaurant in NM that I like to patronize.  I will be in Santa Fe in a few weeks, hope he’s not there. Be curious if he’s trying to put a Q place there or if he jumped ship on the restaurant biz altogether.

8 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Champ Kind thought he was a bbq savant, which he wasn’t!  Hope he isn’t fucking up a restaurant in NM that I like to patronize.  I will be in Santa Fe in a few weeks, hope he’s not there. Be curious if he’s trying to put a Q place there or if he jumped ship on the restaurant biz altogether.

According to the instagram post I saw, he's out of the restaurant business in any capacity.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

He's out of the restaurant running business.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I dropped by the ill-fated Galveston establishment.  He was very nice to us, we people from the internet.  The food was good, particularly the "JM Cheesy Squash."  That said, I stand in quiet solidarity with my Surly brethren who took it in the plumbs on that deal.

Shit, I forgot that was his deal that people lost some money on. Assume we're talking about the same guy. He was extremely nice to me when I met him at Fair Park.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Shit, I forgot that was his deal that people lost some money on. Assume we're talking about the same guy. He was extremely nice to me when I met him at Fair Park.

We're definitely talking about the same guy.

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

that cheesy squash was damn good 

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, RMac5 said:

dcbc is that your concoction or one JM made? My mom made that same squash casserole my whole life.  

That picture is of the one I got at the aforementioned Buck's (Galveston), which is made from the JM Recipe.  I've worked up a recipe based on my memory of it, which likely isn't a clone but is close enough for me and very tasty.

This is mine (batch 1).  I've backed off the cheese a touch in later batches and have liked it more.  But this still was good.

ABLVV87m-Tjli-C7g-Il-R-z-Pt2-PFYm-Gahl-D

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, elfenix said:

iirc there wasn't a whole lot to it, mostly cheese and squash, but i wasn't in the truck when sjj was putting it together for the houston charity events. 

there's a little onion and sour cream thing going on in mine too.   I forget the proportions off the top of my head, but I think I posted it somewhere here.  It's really easy to make.

Edited by dcbc

Yeah, that was it. Pretty sure this is also accurate that he's moved to NM. I actually met Champ at our charity BBQ cookoff in Dallas last year. Since he is a "pro" he wasn't competing. He was cooking with [mention=1044]luke duke[/mention] and serving samples to our attendees. Good guy.
I heard @luke duke cooks his beef ribs medium rare.

On 1/11/2024 at 9:04 PM, deft said:

Well we’re waiting….

On 1/11/2024 at 9:07 PM, thunderlounge said:

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

2 T butter

4 Yellow Squash

1 medium onion

1/2 cup of Sour Cream

2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp)

Salt and Pepper

Chop squash and onion.  In a large skillet, pan fry in butter until very tender.  Add salt and pepper once translucent.  Drain vegetable mixture in a colander.  Press out excess liquid.  Transfer mixture to a large bowl.  Add sour cream, cheese, and more salt and pepper to taste.  Transfer to baking dish and bake (uncovered) at 350F for 25 minutes.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, dcbc said:

2 T butter

4 Yellow Squash

1 medium onion

1/2 cup of Sour Cream

2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese

Salt and Pepper

Chop squash and onion.  In a large skillet, pan fry in butter until very tender.  Add salt and pepper once translucent.  Drain vegetable mixture in a colander.  Press out excess liquid.  Transfer mixture to a large bowl.  Add sour cream, cheese, and more salt and pepper to taste.  Transfer to baking dish and bake (uncovered) at 350F for 25 minutes.

Sounds excellent. Might have to try that tonight.

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is a favorite. Add a few chopped fresh jalapeños.

Even better. Or poblanos.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

This is a favorite. Add a few chopped fresh jalapeños.

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sounds excellent. Might have to try that tonight.

Even better. Or poblanos.

That recipe might as well be a Betty Crocker.  It's the base.  Dress it up however you like.  But I can attest that the base is delicious.  And either pepper addition would probably plus it up nicely. 

Think of it as the squash version of a loaded baked potato, which to me suggests that bacon is another perfect addition.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

That recipe might as well be a Betty Crocker.  It's the base.  Dress it up however you like.  But I can attest that the base is delicious.  And either pepper addition would probably plus it up nicely. 

Think of it as the squash version of a loaded baked potato, which to me suggests that bacon is another perfect addition.

Yep. We usually make it with Yeller squash and zuchini, and I usually top it with crushed buttered ritz crackers. Got an aunt that would make this with a pound or two of Jimmy Dean hot sausage. That was mighty good.

21 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Yep. We usually make it with Yeller squash and zuchini, and I usually top it with crushed buttered ritz crackers. Got an aunt that would make this with a pound or two of Jimmy Dean hot sausage. That was mighty good.

That recipe I posted 100% was derived from something that suggested a crushed Ritz cracker topping.  But since I was trying to somewhat recreate something I'd eaten once, which was much lauded on this site and Shaggy in its John Mueller iteration, I haven't put on the Ritz yet to coin a phrase.

• Like 1

I’m just gonna say it….

the squash is not great.   I had it at Captain Stabby’s.  Not impressed.  It was much better than other squash dishes I have sampled, but at the end of the day it was still squash, and squash is not a tasty vegetable.  You can drown a flip flop in cheese and make it edible, but it’s still a flip flop.  The world is full of tasty vegetables, no reason to waste your time on squash.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I’m just gonna say it….

the squash is not great.   I had it at Captain Stabby’s.  Not impressed.  It was much better than other squash dishes I have sampled, but at the end of the day it was still squash, and squash is not a tasty vegetable.  You can drown a flip flop in cheese and make it edible, but it’s still a flip flop.  The world is full of tasty vegetables, no reason to waste your time on squash.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47hbxp0vmyc1fzqrhm2b

• Like 3

Tried this last night and it was pretty good. I added green bell pepper and then sprinkled some toasted bread crumbs/panko on top before putting in oven, along with some more cheddar. I don’t think it was “soupy/cheesy” enough. I did halve your proportion (two squash) because nobody else was having any but me last night. I think next time I’ll add more sour cream, more cheese and use a smaller, deeper casserole dish. This is an easy recipe and open to adding all kinds of good stuff to jazz it up.

32c502fd31b1157375f0c003947cbeeb.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Tried this last night and it was pretty good. I added green bell pepper and then sprinkled some toasted bread crumbs/panko on top before putting in oven, along with some more cheddar. I don’t think it was “soupy/cheesy” enough. I did halve your proportion (two squash) because nobody else was having any but me last night. I think next time I’ll add more sour cream, more cheese and use a smaller, deeper casserole dish. This is an easy recipe and open to adding all kinds of good stuff to jazz it up.

You may have squeezed too much of the juice out or the bread crumbs may have absorbed some of the liquid.  Play with it.  I've made it with two squash, half an onion, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1.5 cups of cheese with great results.  The recipe above is 1.0 for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

The ribs and sausage are maybe my favorites in Austin, but I’ve always felt the brisket and pastrami weren’t at that level. But today everything was on point. Cheesecake is great, they have Electric Jellyfish, and it’s never really crowded. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s not supposed to be soupy or watery. It should hold together in a square. I like Lisa Fain’s recipe, without the Fritos, as it’s close to what my mom and aunts made. Tgreadgills had a great one.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/frito-squash-casserole/
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s not supposed to be soupy or watery. It should hold together in a square. I like Lisa Fain’s recipe, without the Fritos, as it’s close to what my mom and aunts made. Tgreadgills had a great one.

https://www.homesicktexan.com/frito-squash-casserole/

For clarity's sake, the Stabby recipe I was shooting for, which resulted in this threadjacking, was a little soupy.  Not much, but just enough.

LIke this:

ABLVV87-Qo2-Vfl-YB73-BR8-GR2t-RGZ4i-Dk-U

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m more the squash casserole that’s more solid. That’s more stewed squash.

It is what it is, i.e. "Cheesy Squash."  But it's something specific that a lot of people enjoyed back when JM was alive and making it. 

Nothing wrong with squash casserole, but that's not what this recipe is supposed to approximate..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Looks great. Did you hold your pinky out while drinking your fancy wine? If so you should hold your pinky out eating a rib as well.

Yeah I hate when my monocle gets foggy waiting in line during those cold mornings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:13 PM, Jerry Callo said:

I wonder how many posts we are from rolling over to the next page.  You know, the page without pictures of vegan brisket.

Well, it's all plant based...