Circle C - Lawns Aren't / Are Taken Seriously

Wally Pryor

14 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Officers continued to try and get the man to exit the home, but soon the house looked like it was fully engulfed in flames and it looked likely the man had succumbed to the flames and smoke, says Chacon. The Austin Fire Department was then called in to put the fire out.

Twenty minutes later, the man stepped out of his garage with weapons in hand. It is at that point that Chacon says a SWAT officer shot him and he went down. Officers approached and took his weapons, pulling the man away from the house, and began life-saving measures.

So how does the fire department go in, put out the fire, but not bring out the incapacitated man?  Were they just stepping over him thinking the police can take care of it after they put the fire out?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Same process and they mowed the lawn and left. My guess is that guy got the bill for said services and given his mental health lost it when they showed up again to mow his lawn? 

$500 bucks every 6 months for a trim and a blow?   That sounds like a bargain.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, immamac said:

So it was better to escalate the situation by bringing swat then just saying fuck it and leaving the guys yard unmowed and coming back later to talk to him?

They said they tried to de-escalate mainly through public broadcasting? Like he was fucking listening to public broadcasting. This is all just so painfully stupid. 

None of this was an immediate need and now a guy is dead the lawn still isn't mowed and the house is burned down. 

I guess you didn't read the article. He started shooting at the people mowing his yard and THEN the called in the SWAT team. Jfc

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ABSR said:

So how does the fire department go in, put out the fire, but not bring out the incapacitated man?  Were they just stepping over him thinking the police can take care of it after they put the fire out?

He apparently was in the garage and eventually came out when the fire department was putting out the fire with guns drawn and was shot by SWAT. While it is not clear how the fire started once the fire did start fire department was called. I posted a long ass complete timeline on the second page of the events as they were described by LE in last nights press conference about the incident. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, immamac said:

So it was better to escalate the situation by bringing swat then just saying fuck it and leaving the guys yard unmowed and coming back later to talk to him?

They said they tried to de-escalate mainly through public broadcasting? Like he was fucking listening to public broadcasting. This is all just so painfully stupid. 

None of this was an immediate need and now a guy is dead the lawn still isn't mowed and the house is burned down. 

You do realize Swat was called out AFTER he fired at the lawn crew, right?  Being in the area and seeing the discussions from the team, apparently some people hadn't seen him in years and his grass was as tall as 3 feet and becoming a bit snakey.  So, the wellness checks and code enforcement checks have been going on for a few years.  From what we saw in Houston, code enforcement normally did not get involved until things got pretty much out of control (ex: completely neglected properties post-Harvey).  Usually, there's lots of letters, attempts to resolve, etc... and as someone said, its not his first forced mow.

I'm going to go out on a limb (no pun intended) that the problem was not code enforcement but the maniac who felt it was OK to shoot at code enforcement people, shoot at cops out the back, set his house on fire then come out the garage with guns-a-blazin' pew pew pew.

Honestly, the ones who were probably most impacted were the realtors who won't be able to jump on the listing now that it's all burned up.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

51 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Honestly, the ones who were probably most impacted were the realtors who won't be able to jump on the listing now that it's all burned up.

HOT LISTING IN HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER CIRCLE C!!!

A well loved two story family home in a hopping, happening neighborhood but still a very private, hermit-ready abode.  Remodel ready for your personal decorating touch.  Native landscaping.  3 minutes to downtown!  $999,999.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, texasdago said:

I'm going to go out on a limb (no pun intended) that the problem was not code enforcement but the maniac who felt it was OK to shoot at code enforcement people, shoot at cops out the back, set his house on fire then come out the garage with guns-a-blazin' pew pew pew.

The guy fired a gun on multiple people within a heavily populated neighborhood, on two different occasions within a few hours. That's no good, on several levels.

Some may want social workers dealing with this situation after the guy drew multiple times but at that point I want guys who will take the fucker out, and take out the threat, and they did. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Wally Pryor said:

The guy fired a gun on multiple people within a heavily populated neighborhood, on two different occasions within a few hours. That's no good, on several levels.

Some may want social workers dealing with this situation after the guy drew multiple times but at that point I want guys who will take the fucker out, and take out the threat, and they did. 

I completely understand what you are saying. He became a threat. It’s just beyond unfortunate and sad. By all accounts he never harmed anyone. So far I have read. I am sure being further isolated from Covid and the Freeze didn’t help. But this guy was living in that house for years and according to MSM he was in communications with family during the standoff. I can’t imagine.

The problem is what we do with mentally ill people? We let jackass drug addicted homeless people control the city. Bu all accounts, dude was just living in his house isolated. According to public records he was in possession of that house since 1993 and very few of any knew nor met him.

I don’t want to CR this thread up at all but when someone becomes an adult they can pretty much do what. Live as a hermit. Cloak themselves in tin foil whatever. This guy did whatever he did for a long time and he was in his 50’s I think 51 when he was killed.

There are not the best options for the mentally ill: make them stay somewhere, make them take meds or let them be free range. I don’t know what is the best answer nor do I think just stanning  a mental health professional could have magically resolved this matter. If anyone thinks they could have somehow managed to get this guy to accept anything other than his reality…good luck.

We talk about mental health insurance and how there is no help. What people fail to realize is that if people (not assuming this guy was medicated nor am I assuming he was denied help) are a danger to themselves or others there are two options:  keep them in a place or medicate them until something works. It’s sad but, people continuously bitch about the lack of understanding and care for the mentally ill and those are the options: take your meds and not be a harm to yourself and others or stay in a place. That’s it.

Only options. If someone can think of a third option whereby mentally ill  people can navigate this world without being forced to take meds or be forced into either a long term or in/out patient type deal where their meds are moderated I am all ears. 

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Didn't the HOA get involved?  They can carpet bomb you with fines, and with the power they have, even attach liens to your house, even foreclose in some cases.

Just get Karen on the job.  Case close.

What if I told you the Circle C HOA manager is actually named Karen?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

My dad had a neighbor like that in Nashville for years. He was about 30 and completely insane. His rich parents bought him a house because they didn't want him under their roof and they couldn't bear to put him in a home or whatever....

He'd always be out in his shed blaring AM talk radio....loved burning brush and leaf fires in his back yard...and then he'd go in his shed and scream incoherently at the radio...he never explicitly bothered my dad and stepmom but he was right next door separated from them only by some scraggly bushes that were more the suggestion of a boundary than actual barriers. (Nashville is not big on fences)

It kept getting worse...one day dad came home and this guy was burning all his furniture in the front yard...not long after that he swerved in an unsuccessful attempt at running over a jogger and that was finally the straw that broke the camel's back....Parents took him away and sold the house, which has since been torn down and replaced by a McMansion lived in by Titans LT Taylor Lewan.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/28/2021 at 10:59 AM, ABSR said:

I think he wasn't incapacitated until he was shot. And that was after he set the house on fire, opened the garage door with a gun and then was shot by the SWAT guy. The cops then carried him out to an ambulance and he died later. 

Edited by Wally Pryor

" I am sure being further isolated from Covid and the Freeze didn’t help. "

In talking to a friend who used to live next door to the guy, seems like he's been like this for a long time.  Covid.  Freeze.  Whatever.  Clearly the guy has been mentally unstable for a very long time... why politics or any other BS belongs here is ridiculous.  Otherwise, we can talk about why a mentally unstable person had an arsenal.  But let's not.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wouldn't you move around more nimbly around a 'hot area' if you left your rucksack back in the truck?  Like I get why you brought it with you from the station, but isn't a kind of hindrance if you're moving on a position that's 50 feet from the truck?  What's the tactical reasoning behind being unable to move free and clear? 

9 minutes ago, freyguy said:

They gotta have something to carry their snacks and juice boxes...

Ha.  I'm a little bit more pro-law enforcement than I think most of the folks on this thread.  Got a cousin and BIL in uniform still.  My uncle was a cop in McAllen for many years.  So I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but they're just showing off their shit for the cameras at that point.  If you roll up on a residential shooting in a densely populated single-family development where your vehicles are just a few feet away, you don't drag all your fucking gear into the line of fire.  You take what you need and leave the rest behind so you can be nimble.  If the rationale was "there's a shooter inside, we may be pinned down here all night...let's bring our rucksacks with enough gear, ammo, sleep rolls, and food to last 24 hours"...then you're not very good at your job.  Whatever is in those things, once the situation is neutralized...you can just walk back across the street and grab what you need.  The situation was long diffused when those photos were taken as you can tell by the dress/posture of some of those guys.  

Anyway, whole situation was fucked from start to finish.  At least no innocent people got hurt.  I'm sure this'll get rolled into a Prop A political message by Election Day.  'Cause it's Austin 2021...who gives a fuck> 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Wouldn't you move around more nimbly around a 'hot area' if you left your rucksack back in the truck?  Like I get why you brought it with you from the station, but isn't a kind of hindrance if you're moving on a position that's 50 feet from the truck?  What's the tactical reasoning behind being unable to move free and clear? 

That’s not a rucksack.  It’s a tactical rucksack.  Game changer.

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Ha.  I'm a little bit more pro-law enforcement than I think most of the folks on this thread.  Got a cousin and BIL in uniform still.  My uncle was a cop in McAllen for many years.  So I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but they're just showing off their shit for the cameras at that point.  If you roll up on a residential shooting in a densely populated single-family development where your vehicles are just a few feet away, you don't drag all your fucking gear into the line of fire.  You take what you need and leave the rest behind so you can be nimble.  If the rationale was "there's a shooter inside, we may be pinned down here all night...let's bring our rucksacks with enough gear, ammo, sleep rolls, and food to last 24 hours"...then you're not very good at your job.  Whatever is in those things, once the situation is neutralized...you can just walk back across the street and grab what you need.  The situation was long diffused when those photos were taken as you can tell by the dress/posture of some of those guys.  

Anyway, whole situation was fucked from start to finish.  At least no innocent people got hurt.  I'm sure this'll get rolled into a Prop A political message by Election Day.  'Cause it's Austin 2021...who gives a fuck> 

Sleepy Ferris Buellers Day Off GIF

Im fucking with you. 

But yeah, this incident probably went the best it could go.  And now half the moms in the neighborhood have PTSD, and of course are now sharing it with everybody else....(sigh)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

My dad had a neighbor like that in Nashville for years. He was about 30 and completely insane. His rich parents bought him a house because they didn't want him under their roof and they couldn't bear to put him in a home or whatever....

He'd always be out in his shed blaring AM talk radio....loved burning brush and leaf fires in his back yard...and then he'd go in his shed and scream incoherently at the radio...he never explicitly bothered my dad and stepmom but he was right next door separated from them only by some scraggly bushes that were more the suggestion of a boundary than actual barriers. (Nashville is not big on fences)

It kept getting worse...one day dad came home and this guy was burning all his furniture in the front yard...not long after that he swerved in an unsuccessful attempt at running over a jogger and that was finally the straw that broke the camel's back....Parents took him away and sold the house, which has since been torn down and replaced by a McMansion lived in by Titans LT Taylor Lewan.

That is an archetypal Surly post if ever there was one. 

On 10/29/2021 at 12:24 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:
Spoiler

Awesome story. Well done. That story took a turn and I gotta admit, I didn't see it coming. So it's about you? Can't wait till you tell us how you got your shit together and became a writer.

Edited by Bevo