Circle C - Lawns Aren't / Are Taken Seriously

Wally Pryor

Depending upon your point of view. 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A visit from the City of Austin for lawn maintenance ended in gunfire Wednesday morning.

According to Austin Police Department, the situation began around 9:16 a.m., when the Austin Code Department visited a resident at the 10600 block of Pinkney Lane — where code enforcement intended to conduct lawn maintenance under an administrative warrant.

“They attempted to cut the lawn for him, and this is the reaction they got,” APD officer Jose Mendez said Tuesday.

APD says during the visit, the resident began firing a gun from inside the home. No one was hurt.

Officers and SWAT crews responded but as of 1:20 p.m., APD says the resident is refusing to come out or communicate with officials. APD says they know he’s inside, and as far as they know, he’s alright. It’s believed he has several weapons inside, however, based on prior experience with the resident, APD says.

A local child care center and an elementary school are in the area. Circle C Child Development Center said it was on secure lockdown, and parents can pick up their kids if they want. Kiker Elementary School on La Crosse Avenue is currently under “secure” status.

Yeah, if somebody down in Circle C can grab a photo of SWAT team evacuating a CoA lawn crew while the HOA Board Chair tries to talk the homeowner out of the premises by offering free dues for a year over the bullhorn...you've got the ultimate fucking meme for the next decade.  And of course the guy is armed to the fucking teeth.  

Welcome to Texas.  We have only come to do two things.  Whack some weeds and shoot some rounds.  And it looks like we're all outta weeds.  

2 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Why would the CoA even get involved?  Isn't lawn care a HOA thing?  I guess HOA has ability to hire someone to remedy the situation if not taken care o fin a timely fashion?

City of Austin logic:

Camping ban goes into effect for months?  Rampant violations in every corner of the city?  City's response?  "Ahh, give 'em another year or so to move around."

HOA ban on unkempt lawns goes one day past 30 days?  Send in the fucking SWAT team.

Some backstory I guess…

“ “It’s very surreal. The oddities about ‘The Odd House’ in the neighborhood,” said Brent Mayberry Wednesday evening.

I thought it was deserted for years,” Mayberry told KXAN Wednesday. “Until walking by… you hear music one day. And it’s like, ‘Wow. That’s kind of odd.’ It’s just a house that’s been a mystery to everybody in the neighborhood as long as I’ve been here.”

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

“ “It’s very surreal. The oddities about ‘The Odd House’ in the neighborhood,” said Brent Mayberry Wednesday evening.

I thought it was deserted for years,” Mayberry told KXAN Wednesday. “Until walking by… you hear music one day. And it’s like, ‘Wow. That’s kind of odd.’ It’s just a house that’s been a mystery to everybody in the neighborhood as long as I’ve been here.”

Can only imagine what this guy had in store Sunday evening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Lawn Order: C C U

In the criminal justice system, landscape and gardening offenses are considered especially heinous. In Circle C, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Code Compliance Unit. These are their stories.

Wow. That pissed off Nicole. No nudes for you.

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

So what you're saying is if you stop mowing your lawn they will send someone to mow it for you?

You don’t want to see the bill.  My father got into a pissing contest with a code enforcement person over a tree limb hanging over the alley supposedly impeding garbage trucks from doing their job.  They just showed up, cut the branch off, and sent him a bill for $800.  This was in Dallas, but I imagine most cities are about the same.  Nobody died.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

The best timeline so far I have read about how it all went down although I am admittedly more interested though in the backstory of the now deceased home owner.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/police-responding-to-swat-situation-in-sw-austin-avoid-the-area

“According to Austin Police Chief Joseph Chacon, the incident began when Austin Code Enforcement and district representatives arrived to a residence in the 10600 block of Pinkney Lane around 9:16 a.m. this morning to serve a search warrant for nuisance and abatement concerning an overgrown lawn.

Chacon says that the warrant was served as part of an ongoing situation with Code Enforcement regarding an overgrown lawn in the front and back of the home.

No one answered, so the warrant was left on the door. While contractors started lawn work at the home, shots were fired from inside the home. No one was injured in this incident and officers and other personnel on scene were able to escape the gunfire and make it to safety, according to police. Police then activated their SWAT team.

When SWAT arrived with mental health officers and a crisis negotiator, they attempted de-escalation techniques and officers tried for several hours to make contact with the man inside, mostly using the public address system. Nearby Kiker Elementary School was also placed on a lockdown out of an abundance of caution, says Chacon.

Chacon says that at 3:19 p.m. officers at the back of the home took several shots from someone inside and officers at the front of the home made entry with a robot, which found a fire that was spreading quickly inside the home.

Officers continued to try and get the man to exit the home, but soon the house looked like it was fully engulfed in flames and it looked likely the man had succumbed to the flames and smoke, says Chacon. The Austin Fire Department was then called in to put the fire out.

Twenty minutes later, the man stepped out of his garage with weapons in hand. It is at that point that Chacon says a SWAT officer shot him and he went down. Officers approached and took his weapons, pulling the man away from the house, and began life-saving measures.

The man, described as an adult male in his 50s, was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead just after 4 p.m.”

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

The best timeline so far I have read about how it all went down although I am admittedly more interested though in the backstory of the now deceased home owner.

https://www.fox7austin.com/news/police-responding-to-swat-situation-in-sw-austin-avoid-the-area

“According to Austin Police Chief Joseph Chacon, the incident began when Austin Code Enforcement and district representatives arrived to a residence in the 10600 block of Pinkney Lane around 9:16 a.m. this morning to serve a search warrant for nuisance and abatement concerning an overgrown lawn.

Chacon says that the warrant was served as part of an ongoing situation with Code Enforcement regarding an overgrown lawn in the front and back of the home.

No one answered, so the warrant was left on the door. While contractors started lawn work at the home, shots were fired from inside the home. No one was injured in this incident and officers and other personnel on scene were able to escape the gunfire and make it to safety, according to police. Police then activated their SWAT team.

When SWAT arrived with mental health officers and a crisis negotiator, they attempted de-escalation techniques and officers tried for several hours to make contact with the man inside, mostly using the public address system. Nearby Kiker Elementary School was also placed on a lockdown out of an abundance of caution, says Chacon.

Chacon says that at 3:19 p.m. officers at the back of the home took several shots from someone inside and officers at the front of the home made entry with a robot, which found a fire that was spreading quickly inside the home.

Officers continued to try and get the man to exit the home, but soon the house looked like it was fully engulfed in flames and it looked likely the man had succumbed to the flames and smoke, says Chacon. The Austin Fire Department was then called in to put the fire out.

Twenty minutes later, the man stepped out of his garage with weapons in hand. It is at that point that Chacon says a SWAT officer shot him and he went down. Officers approached and took his weapons, pulling the man away from the house, and began life-saving measures.

The man, described as an adult male in his 50s, was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead just after 4 p.m.”

So what I’m getting out of this, is, even if you “defund the police”, they still have enough funding to mow your yard?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1