Kyle Rittenhouse

tx 3 putt

19 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have never heard either my parents or grandparents use the N word.  In my family that would be considered extremely trashy and embarrassing

In my family, using the N word would be considered a little racist.  Calling someone a race-neutral name - "That boy is a P-I-G!" -  would be considered trashy and embarrassing.  (Unless he was black, in which case we'd go back to a little racist.)

(Interesting you used that term, since the modern Republican Party is using trashy and embarrassing as a selling point.)

Can we get back on track?  (Fishing With Racists…redneck heavy metal band name?)

Obviously he won’t be convicted, and despite his clear history of wanting to put himself in a position where he could apply deadly force (not to mention his age being a factor)…it’s the right call. 

What worries me more is setting the precedent that being armed in an unstable situation you insert yourself into is now the ‘right call.’  We already have a high prevalence of gun violence and deserved reputation as such.  I just hope we don’t see future police/race/etc protests ringed by armed yahoo’s itching for a fight…either because it’ll discourage rightful, peaceful protests (which is exactly what certain people want just like ‘poll watchers’) or both sides will escalate until every gathering becomes a shootout.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Homercles said:

Obviously he won’t be convicted, and despite his clear history of wanting to put himself in a position where he could apply deadly force (not to mention his age being a factor)…it’s the right call. 

What worries me more is setting the precedent that being armed in an unstable situation you insert yourself into is now the ‘right call.’  We already have a high prevalence of gun violence and deserved reputation as such.  I just hope we don’t see future police/race/etc protests ringed by armed yahoo’s itching for a fight…either because it’ll discourage rightful, peaceful protests (which is exactly what certain people want just like ‘poll watchers’) or both sides will escalate until every gathering becomes a shootout.  

Nevermind that his mom is out giving interviews to fox that boil down to "I'll fuckin do it again". This case is absolutely setting a precedent that you can arm yourself and wade into civil unrest and take matters into your own hands without fear of punishment. 

It's just the typical ratcheting up of street violence that's pretty characteristic of a failing democracy as it transitions into fascism/authoritarianism. See: 1930's Europe

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Lagunamadre said:

You want to see republicans do a quick 180 on open carry. Get a bunch of black and brown people walking around with ARs in white neighborhoods. The reaction would be quick. 

No it wont, they'll just convict them of gun crimes, which only apply to some people and not others. 

5 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

You want to see republicans do a quick 180 on open carry. Get a bunch of black and brown people walking around with ARs in white neighborhoods. The reaction would be quick. 

It's what got Reagan to pass gun control while he was the Cali governor. Black Panthers openly carrying rifles on patrols to stop police from murdering black folks got all the honkeys scared

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have never heard either my parents or grandparents use the N word.  In my family that would be considered extremely trashy and embarrassing.  My friends don't use the word either nor do they say racist things.

The only group of people I dislike are white progressives.  Not white democrats.  But white progressives.  I cannot stand them.  But neither can anyone else.

So your friends and family are well-disciplined racists then.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bojack said:

Don't answer anything you don't want to but are you yourself white, where did you grow up, and how old are you?  I'm a 48 year old white man that grew up in Southeast Texas.  My parents, aunts, and uncles all went to segregated high schools.  Any time I went fishing with my grandfather, uncles, or cousin, I was fishing with racists and quite often fighting with them about it.  I gave my grandfather something of a pass because he was born in 1920 and raised somewhere out near Marlin.  I'll never again fish with my uncle or cousin because of the racism.  Most of the people I grew up around were absolutely fine with all sorts of prejudice, including slurs.  I'm glad I got the fuck out and can now choose who I fish with.  I don't think my experience is at all unusual in Texas or a lot of other places.  How did you and Sack avoid it your whole lives? 

Early 40s, grew up in Austin. 

But I think that we are getting off track.  It's not really about fishing with racists. It's about certain clowns that by their own admission shrug off casual racism in real life feeling very bold to call out people they don't know as racist while sitting behind a keyboard.

1 hour ago, Bojack said:

How did you and Sack avoid it your whole lives? 

Staying off JimmyJames's fishing boat seems like a good starting point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

These people beg to differ.

_114088607_4134eab6-8c47-491b-9969-589fd

people like this need to consider:

if they are going to point guns at protestors, even protestors who are on their sidewalk in their neighborhood, then at some point those same protestors are going to be pointing guns back at them.

So, we have two options:

two opposed gun-wielding groups pointing guns at each other.

or

two opposed camps NOT pointing guns at each other.

Personally, I'd rather have the latter.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Early 40s, grew up in Austin. 

But I think that we are getting off track.  It's not really about fishing with racists. It's about certain clowns that by their own admission shrug off casual racism in real life feeling very bold to call out people they don't know as racist while sitting behind a keyboard.

Staying off JimmyJames's fishing boat seems like a good starting point. 

Very ironic. You’re not even telling the story right and are the clown who last night brought it up completely out of nowhere to call me a racist while sitting behind your little keyboard.

But like you said it doesn’t matter. If you had heard a friend of a friend tell a racist joke no doubt with your Austin upbringing you would have either beat their ass or commandeered the boat and drove it back to shore to get away from them. 

Dipshit. 

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

people like this need to consider:

if they are going to point guns at protestors, even protestors who are on their sidewalk in their neighborhood, then at some point those same protestors are going to be pointing guns back at them.

So, we have two options:

two opposed gun-wielding groups pointing guns at each other.

or

two opposed camps NOT pointing guns at each other.

Personally, I'd rather have the latter.

No doubt.  Adding guns to emotionally charged situations does not benefit anyone there, or society as a whole.  It makes me think maybe those lawmakers 100+ years ago who originally implemented restraints against open carry as the frontier came to a close had it right all along.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

How about at the country club or at the frat house? 

Hey Sack. Since Annie has decided to once again make this thread a referendum on who is racist or not and who stands up to racist fisherman or not are you gonna answer this question or not? 

I know you don’t want to and that’s ok too.

Edited by JimmyJames

I have never, ever heard about a judge letting the defendant draw the "winning" numbers of the jury pool to vote.  

Yes, obviously we know it's arbitrary still no matter who has the hand...but it's still beyond bizarre.  Never been done before in any criminal case or civil case that I've read about and I've written up 200 case briefs.  

Some kinda bizarre Shirley Jackson sequel maybe?  

52 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I have never, ever heard about a judge letting the defendant draw the "winning" numbers of the jury pool to vote.  

Yes, obviously we know it's arbitrary still no matter who has the hand...but it's still beyond bizarre.  Never been done before in any criminal case or civil case that I've read about and I've written up 200 case briefs.  

Some kinda bizarre Shirley Jackson sequel maybe?  

He drew the names of the 6 jurors that would be alternates, not the ones that will be deliberating.  Apparently this is some quirk of WI court rules...

Like doing the jury instructions before closing statements instead of after (From what I understand, TX does the opposite).

• Like 1

Got it.  Fucking Northwoods Kraut Law. Isn't picking the alternates the tactic equivalent of picking the 12 that will deliberate?  Again, I know the laws of probability are not changed either way.  

I still say Shirley Jackson and some rocks are still involved in this somehow.  

"Rioting murders in June, Corn be heavy soon..."

It makes some sense that the panel doesn't know who will be alternates, I can see those pre-designated as alternates paying less attention and being less informed if a non-alternate is dismissed. I can also see it being by random drawing, but I would assume that the lawyer does that part, or an employee of the court. The headline makes it sound like a game for a kid who the judge clearly is biased towards.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bojack said:

Don't answer anything you don't want to but are you yourself white, where did you grow up, and how old are you?  I'm a 48 year old white man that grew up in Southeast Texas.  My parents, aunts, and uncles all went to segregated high schools.  Any time I went fishing with my grandfather, uncles, or cousin, I was fishing with racists and quite often fighting with them about it.  I gave my grandfather something of a pass because he was born in 1920 and raised somewhere out near Marlin.  I'll never again fish with my uncle or cousin because of the racism.  Most of the people I grew up around were absolutely fine with all sorts of prejudice, including slurs.  I'm glad I got the fuck out and can now choose who I fish with.  I don't think my experience is at all unusual in Texas or a lot of other places.  How did you and Sack avoid it your whole lives? 

Because it’s bs. It destroys any credibility they have, so they lie. They’re more than ok with lying if it serves a greater purpose in their minds. They’ll sit up at church and act like good Christians but it’s all bs. You can’t have a worldview like theirs and not be hateful. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

Also, did I read that the defense attorneys were allowed to describe the victims' personal problems? I was pretty sure that's not allowed if the person shot was not known to the shooter prior to the shooting. You don't get to shoot a stranger then get off if that person turns out to be a scumbag.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Also, did I read that the defense attorneys were allowed to describe the victims' personal problems? I was pretty sure that's not allowed if the person shot was not known to the shooter prior to the shooting. You don't get to shoot a stranger then get off if that person turns out to be a scumbag.

This…it’s ridiculous “thank God that guy was a scumbag, lucky me”. This is who the Johnny Sack’s of the world exalt. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

He drew the names of the 6 jurors that would be alternates, not the ones that will be deliberating.  Apparently this is some quirk of WI court rules...

Like doing the jury instructions before closing statements instead of after (From what I understand, TX does the opposite).

I’m assuming having the defendant draw 6 names out of a hat is some weird Wisconsin rule or tradition, but I also assumed the judge didn’t have the jury in the box when he had the entire courtroom give a defense witness a round applause so my assumption could be entirely wrong and just like his cell phone blowing up the whole trial, is just further proof this judge is a dumbass. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Got it.  Fucking Northwoods Kraut Law. Isn't picking the alternates the tactic equivalent of picking the 12 that will deliberate?  Again, I know the laws of probability are not changed either way.  

I still say Shirley Jackson and some rocks are still involved in this somehow.  

"Rioting murders in June, Corn be heavy soon..."

Rep for the Shirley Jackson mention.

Kenosha isn't northwoods though. It's close enough to flatlander country to be similar in spirit. North woods (not the show) would've been in the vicinity of Ed Gein country but even that is the more southern edge. One of my co-worker's dad was a deputy sheriff in a little town near the Nicolet National forest and boy he had some stories. They are a little different up there, for sure. Sort of its own pine curtain like east Texas.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
apostrophe fail
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

completely out of nowhere to call me a racist

Just for the record, I didn't call you a racist.  I said that you shrug off causal racism in real life, by your own admission. I don't know if that makes you are racist or not to be honest, but fairly certain that it makes you part of the problem. But I understand that fishing is really important to you. 

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Just for the record, I didn't call you a racist.  I said that you shrug off causal racism in real life, by your own admission. I don't know if that makes you are racist or not to be honest, but fairly certain that it makes you part of the problem. But I understand that fishing is really important to you. 

We are going to go here again.  I'll go on the record for not defending Jimmy, because I don't know him personally and he is a bit over the top sometimes, possibly because of his shoes.spacer.png

But I will say this.  Sitting at Christmas dinner at my in-laws parents house, and hearing them say "don't worry about the dishes, N***er Frances will clean them up tomorrow in reference to their "help", what are you gonna do?  Stand up and slap the patriarch upside the head?  It happens.  It happened.  It is pervasive in white Texas.  Sue me.  The solution is electing motherfuckers who actually will do something.  Not posturing, not slapping grandpa upside the head (although it was warranted), but gently reminding them, you are in the minority now.  Mexicans and Negroes outnumber you.  Pick your poison wisely, Weasley.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Are you saying its your understanding that in Texas the jury instructions are read after closing arguments are made?  Because that is not the case. I only practice criminal law so I can't speak to civil jury trials, but the judge always reads the jury instructions after we have conferenced and agreed on them but right before closing arguments.  The last thing the jury hears are the closings before they go back to to deliberate.  The State gets to argue first and last while the defense argues second, but not last.  The last the thing the jurors hear before they go back in the room is the last thing the prosecutor says.

29 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Rep for the Shirley Jackson mention.

Kenosha isn't northwoods though. It's close enough to flatlander country to be similar in spirit. North woods (not the show) would've been in the vicinity of Ed Gein country but even that is the more southern edge. One of my co-worker's dad was a deputy sheriff in a little town near the Nicolet National forest and boy he had some stories. They are a little different up there, for sure. Sort of its own pine curtain like east Texas.

Pos rep for spotting the difference.  "Northwood Kraut Law" had a kangaroo court kinda sound to it, IMHO.  

If I called it like it was, "Suburban Milwaukee Criminal Court Law"...doesn't sound as looming.

Spent many a summer north of Rhinelander/Wassau.  It really does have a different "vibe" to it.  You can see why all the Germans who pushed West took a right turn there and thought, "Holy shit, Bavaria?"  

Edited by Lobo

9 minutes ago, Frank The Tank said:

Are you saying its your understanding that in Texas the jury instructions are read after closing arguments are made?  Because that is not the case. I only practice criminal law so I can't speak to civil jury trials, but the judge always reads the jury instructions after we have conferenced and agreed on them but right before closing arguments.  The last thing the jury hears are the closings before they go back to to deliberate.  The State gets to argue first and last while the defense argues second, but not last.  The last the thing the jurors hear before they go back in the room is the last thing the prosecutor says.

From what I'd read yesterday, I took it that WI did it in the opposite order to what TX did.  Perhaps WI does the jury instructions after closing then.

Of course, I could have misread yesterday...