2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That seems higher than usual, right?

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Final ESPN rankings had:

40 Texas players in 2018

37 in 2019

47 in 2020 (so far)

and 48 in their initial 2021 rankings

Texas is loaded in 2021, even if the numbers are akin to 2020. There is some truly elite talent in Texas in 2021 and that is a contributing component to not taking a full class in 2020.

Regarding the Brockermeyers, the dad is an established and legitimate FBS coach. The "hiring a parent/coach" rules do not apply as a result. The wildcard in their recruitment will be if someone like Clemson, or especially Clemson, were to hire the dad as an OL coach or something. I mean, I expect Texas, but I also sat here believing that Chris Thompson Jr was a lock, as did everyone else, until it became evident that Auburn broke out the Cam Newton playbook with the dad, so...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Regarding the Brockermeyers, the dad is an established and legitimate FBS coach. The "hiring a parent/coach" rules do not apply as a result. The wildcard in their recruitment will be if someone like Clemson, or especially Clemson, were to hire the dad as an OL coach or something. I mean, I expect Texas, but I also sat here believing that Chris Thompson Jr was a lock, as did everyone else, until it became evident that Auburn broke out the Cam Newton playbook with the dad, so...

Yeah, that was unfortunate news to hear on Chris Thompson Jr. I wonder if this is a legit scenario where we see the kid look back in 10-12 years with hard feelings that his dad fucked him over. Better hope Auburn develops him into a day 1 draft pick and he has an NFL career, Senior. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tim Irvin all over again

5d1639767d968.image.jpg?resize=348,523

I didn't know until today that Blake was on a coaching staff. I wondered why he'd disappeared from LHN. He was a favorite.

I wonder how interested he is in moving far from home as a coach. It also seems doubtful a huge program would come calling at SMU for an analyst. But what do I know?

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas will give Luke a scholarship (after he's been on campus for two years, as to not active a class counter for him), and then it'll be academic. Imo. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

To channel my inner satya, if Texas ends up not landing the brockermeyers that’s a bad look that other coaches will use against us and that will land with recruits.

Even though I’d personally understand if either or both decided to go elsewhere. 

Hell, coaches might already be asking recruits to think about why those two aren’t already on board and are visiting all these other programs. 

Everybody knows this was a dumb post, but I like how you made it after that ESPN blurb on the Brock bros that had a quote from Blake saying exactly why they're visiting so many schools and that there's even a quote about how the kids may not want to be taking so many visits. 

Spoiler

The No. 1 recruit

Since the full ESPN 300 started in 2013, Trey Smith is the only offensive tackle to hold on to the No. 1 overall ranking. A spot largely dominated by defensive lineman, Smith proved to be a special talent -- and now Tommy Brockermeyer has a similar opportunity.

Brockermeyer debuts as the No. 1 prospect in the ESPN Junior 300, and though this is a preliminary list of underclassmen, he has a chance to hang on to that top spot once the full ESPN 300 is released after the class of 2021 finishes its junior season.

The 6-foot-6, 280-pound tackle from All Saints Episcopal School in Fort Worth, Texas, has a strong connection to the Texas Longhorns. His father, Blake, and his grandfather, Kae, both played football at Texas. Blake started in the '90s and was a first-round draft pick by the Carolina Panthers. Kae played in the late '50s and early '60s.

Tommy's older brother Jack was recruited to play in college but decided not to pursue an athletic career and currently holds a 3.92 GPA at Rice, where he is studying economics and managerial studies. Then there's Luke, another older brother who currently plays linebacker at Texas.

On top of that, Tommy has a twin brother, James, who is an ESPN Junior 300 offensive lineman. Ranked No. 229 overall, James is a 6-foot-3, 255-pound center. And if that weren't enough, both their mother and grandmother went to Texas.

"I think they've narrowed it down pretty good to a handful of schools that are in their wheelhouse, and Texas is going to be in the picture," Blake said.

"It's actually hurt [Tommy and James] in recruiting because a lot of schools don't recruit them or won't recruit them because of the Texas ties because they just assume they're going there. It's definitely not a done deal. It's obviously going to be one of the leaders, but there's also Alabama, Clemson, Stanford, Michigan. There are some good schools out there."

Blake is currently a defensive analyst at SMU, where he has been for almost two years. SMU was the first program to offer the twins, and the family has talked about Tommy and James playing for their father, but it isn't something he is pushing. Blake wants to ensure that Tommy and James see the right programs and make the right decisions for them, Texas or not. Having been on both sides, as a player and now as a coach, he understands the pitfalls and potential hazards of making a blind decision.

"I'm showing them pretty much every top program in the country, whether they might think, they're like, 'Why are we going to Iowa, Dad?'" Blake said. "I'm like, 'These guys know what they're doing,' and then after they go and see it, they say, 'Yeah, I get it.' I'm going to give them the best advice I can give them because I know the whole process, and I've seen it all and done it all.

"You can't ever guarantee things are going to happen the way you want and coaches are going to be there, so there's a lot of different aspects you have to look at."

37 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Everybody knows this was a dumb post, but I like how you made it after that ESPN blurb on the Brock bros that had a quote from Blake saying exactly why they're visiting so many schools and that there's even a quote about how the kids may not want to be taking so many visits. 

Reveal hidden contents

The No. 1 recruit

Since the full ESPN 300 started in 2013, Trey Smith is the only offensive tackle to hold on to the No. 1 overall ranking. A spot largely dominated by defensive lineman, Smith proved to be a special talent -- and now Tommy Brockermeyer has a similar opportunity.

Brockermeyer debuts as the No. 1 prospect in the ESPN Junior 300, and though this is a preliminary list of underclassmen, he has a chance to hang on to that top spot once the full ESPN 300 is released after the class of 2021 finishes its junior season.

The 6-foot-6, 280-pound tackle from All Saints Episcopal School in Fort Worth, Texas, has a strong connection to the Texas Longhorns. His father, Blake, and his grandfather, Kae, both played football at Texas. Blake started in the '90s and was a first-round draft pick by the Carolina Panthers. Kae played in the late '50s and early '60s.

Tommy's older brother Jack was recruited to play in college but decided not to pursue an athletic career and currently holds a 3.92 GPA at Rice, where he is studying economics and managerial studies. Then there's Luke, another older brother who currently plays linebacker at Texas.

On top of that, Tommy has a twin brother, James, who is an ESPN Junior 300 offensive lineman. Ranked No. 229 overall, James is a 6-foot-3, 255-pound center. And if that weren't enough, both their mother and grandmother went to Texas.

"I think they've narrowed it down pretty good to a handful of schools that are in their wheelhouse, and Texas is going to be in the picture," Blake said.

"It's actually hurt [Tommy and James] in recruiting because a lot of schools don't recruit them or won't recruit them because of the Texas ties because they just assume they're going there. It's definitely not a done deal. It's obviously going to be one of the leaders, but there's also Alabama, Clemson, Stanford, Michigan. There are some good schools out there."

Blake is currently a defensive analyst at SMU, where he has been for almost two years. SMU was the first program to offer the twins, and the family has talked about Tommy and James playing for their father, but it isn't something he is pushing. Blake wants to ensure that Tommy and James see the right programs and make the right decisions for them, Texas or not. Having been on both sides, as a player and now as a coach, he understands the pitfalls and potential hazards of making a blind decision.

"I'm showing them pretty much every top program in the country, whether they might think, they're like, 'Why are we going to Iowa, Dad?'" Blake said. "I'm like, 'These guys know what they're doing,' and then after they go and see it, they say, 'Yeah, I get it.' I'm going to give them the best advice I can give them because I know the whole process, and I've seen it all and done it all.

"You can't ever guarantee things are going to happen the way you want and coaches are going to be there, so there's a lot of different aspects you have to look at."

I read it, and it’s what got me thinking about the post I made. If, during the process of properly informing their decision, they find a place that they think is a better fit, they should choose that place. 

If that were to transpire, certain elements would effort to use that against our recruiting efforts. So it would amount to more than just losing one great and/or one good OL prospect. It would allow for the “even they don’t want to go there” narrative to have legs. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I read it, and it’s what got me thinking about the post I made. If, during the process of properly informing their decision, they find a place that they think is a better fit, they should choose that place. 

If that were to transpire, certain elements would effort to use that against our recruiting efforts. So it would amount to more than just losing one great and/or one good OL prospect. It would allow for the “even they don’t want to go there” narrative to have legs. 

And if your aunt had balls she’d be your uncle.

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

You know, this post really got me thinking.  If during the process of kids deciding where they’ll be the most #blessed and the school at which people will most respect their decision, they all find a place they think is a better fit or get paid off by schools we can’t or refuse to outbid because of our high moral standards, like ACU and Incarnate Word, and should every single recruit we go after for the next two years decide those other schools are the place for them.

Now if, and I mean only if, that were to transpire, certain elements, like Arsenic or Sulfur, would effort to use the fact that we haven’t signed a single recruit in two years against us.  So it would amount to more than just not getting any of the recruits we want, it would allow for the “don’t go there, literally no one is going there,” narrative to really have some legs and just get up and walk out the door.

2 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Is this a deliberate effort by the staff to lock commits in this early? 

They're adjusting from the 2020 cycle and benefiting from having very vocal recruiters in both Dallas and Houston.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Butch Had Not said:

QB's usually commit early and that's been the case since Herman has been here.

Davis is probably the top WR in-state next year.

No way you say no to someone like Bowman.

The staff wasn't going to say no to Conner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

Yes, you have to get guys earlier now with the December signing day. Herman talked about it at big 12 media day. He doesn’t necessarily like it but he knows it’s somethiing he needs to do. Some of the setbacks occurring in the 2020 class are because he didn’t.

• Like 1

I recall TFB posting an anonymous recruit quote a few months ago... Went more or less "I want to know who I'm going to war with" .  Getting dumped on at the opening and rivals camps due to the small texas contingent, combined with Herman's recent comments on the early signing period, I think the staff is learning and realizing the value in securing a strong class core earlier than they've done in the past

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

got damn.  hayden conner is doing work.  no one expected him to commit, no one expected him to go all fucking in on the program recruiting like a mofo.

happy he's on board.

If he had committed to aggy and was doing this they'd be talking about taking over the state, Jimbo kicking Herman's ass, Sips are about to get buried, SECSEC!!  ect.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

19 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

got damn.  hayden conner is doing work.  no one expected him to commit, no one expected him to go all fucking in on the program recruiting like a mofo.

happy he's on board.

He's right there with Milroe, protecting his QB's back just like a lineman is supposed to.