Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Robbie Doane’s dad posted on Hornfans. He attempted to shame me at one point because I said his son needed to actually put pads on somebody at some point. I told him his son was NCAA and I wasn’t the one that needed a talking to, pops. Then I posted the image of him basically putting Julius Peppers on the ass as he flew right by, and Doane’s dad lost it and went nuts to LHG.

It was early in the HF era, otherwise I’m sure I would have been banned. Chad Stevens, an A-back/TE in that period, had a dad that was a ton better and used to post and DM. He thought Tim Nunez was a fucking idiot and that Tim Brewster was a used car salesman. That dude had things straight. 

Tyrone Jones posted on HF as “CountryGrammer”, and yes, I spelled the handle correctly. For anyone who don’t remembers, he was one of the truest versions of “Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” guys to ever come through Texas. He was a nice guy and seemed to give a shit about getting a degree, but his takes on his performance versus how he actually performed couldn’t have been more disparate. He was the original Naashon Hughes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Robbie Doane’s dad posted on Hornfans. He attempted to shame me at one point because I said his son needed to actually put pads on somebody at some point. I told him his son was NCAA and I wasn’t the one that needed a talking to, pops. Then I posted the image of him basically putting Julius Peppers on the ass as he flew right by, and Doane’s dad lost it and went nuts to LHG.

It was early in the HF era, otherwise I’m sure I would have been banned. Chad Stevens, an A-back/TE in that period, had a dad that was a ton better and used to post and DM. He thought Tim Nunez was a fucking idiot and that Tim Brewster was a used car salesman. That dude had things straight. 

Tyrone Jones posted on HF as “CountryGrammer”, and yes, I spelled the handle correctly. For anyone who don’t remembers, he was one of the truest versions of “Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane” guys to ever come through Texas. He was a nice guy and seemed to give a shit about getting a degree, but his takes on his performance versus how he actually performed couldn’t have been more disparate. He was the original Naashon Hughes. 

Must be past 7pm on that transatlantic flight. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, One_Piece_Of_Info said:

I have one piece of inside info to share with y'all, though it shouldn't come as a surprise. A new employee in my office from Fort Worth who is friends with the Brockermeyer family says that it is nearly guaranteed that the brothers go to Texas. They have practically made their decision already, and it's just a matter of time before it is announced formally. He puts the odds at 99%. 

What color is their house? 

Regarding Juan Davis, here is some info to get excited about from someone who has worked with him lately:

Unbelievable hands. Elite level. Catches the back of the ball. 

6’2.5”, 207 - decently fast. There will be LJH comparisons, but he’s not that level of smooth as an athlete. Probably better hands. 

He thinks he’s a WR and will be recruited as such to get him in the fold. Maybe that winds up being the case as a player, but could be an elite H-Back/Flex TE type. Frame does not project to inline TE.

Services will again struggle to appropriately rank him, but Herman’s team values hybrids and sees it as a Moneyball void in the way services rank and other programs think about talent at numerous spots. OU on offense being similar in thinking, unfortunately. That approach for UT also impacts LB/NB/Joker/S and is something the boards don’t follow well yet, any differently than the services. 

FWIW. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, thepop said:

Can’t say I’m super excited about taking a lot of players early but I guess that’s just how it is now. Better than telling the kids to take their time like we have been.

It looks like an iron core with a strong field of gravity to me. We never who will ball and who won't, but I think the odds will favor a class like this that seems on the verge of accumulating a great many highly ranked recruits. If a lineman doesn't pan out or a QB can't win the tough competition to start, that's the way it always is.

I know that's pretty elementary, but I think the risk of committing sophomores is outweighed by the breadth of quality.

14 hours ago, thepop said:

Can’t say I’m super excited about taking a lot of players early but I guess that’s just how it is now. Better than telling the kids to take their time like we have been.

The key will be getting good at letting commits go if they don't develop, get worse (eat too much), or are surpassed. We did it with Demariyon Houston but it's a very delicate situation. Not everyone can just say "go find another school now" like Saban can. Our strategy is apparently to stop contacting a recruit until they figure it out.

The only issue there is that when you target a core group like these Katy guys who are all super tight, you're basically locked in on those guys. If you cut bait on one of them then you obviously endanger all of those commitments.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

The key will be getting good at letting commits go if they don't develop, get worse (eat too much), or are surpassed. We did it with Demariyon Houston but it's a very delicate situation. Not everyone can just say "go find another school now" like Saban can. Our strategy is apparently to stop contacting a recruit until they figure it out.

The only issue there is that when you target a core group like these Katy guys who are all super tight, you're basically locked in on those guys. If you cut bait on one of them then you obviously endanger all of those commitments.

This is all true. That being said, if the early returns are consistent throughout his tenure, I will stack up our abilities to early evaluate kids effectively over almost any other staff. So hopefully that mitigates things somewhat versus other schools in the same boat. 

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is all true. That being said, if the early returns are consistent throughout his tenure, I will stack up our abilities to early evaluate kids effectively over almost any other staff. So hopefully that mitigates things somewhat versus other schools in the same boat. 

Yeah. This staff’s evals have been lights out. I think we were like the second school to even offer Ovwrshown. Cosmi was a great eval. We got on owens earlier than most. Sweat was another one.

If NSD1 forces every school to offer earlier and accept commits earlier, that absolutely benefits UT relative to its competition. 

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. This staff’s evals have been lights out. I think we were like the second school to even offer Ovwrshown. Cosmi was a great eval. We got on owens earlier than most. Sweat was another one.

If NSD1 forces every school to offer earlier and accept commits earlier, that absolutely benefits UT relative to its competition. 

the staff does well well with most positions, while others, like lb, take too long to assess. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

If that happens, his mom's (or fake mom if it's a pure troll move - they did have an ag tag though) TexAgs posts will become the troll of legend.

The meltdown will be just unfathomable...I need it straight into my veins. Don’t know what will be better the tears or looch trying to spin it 

universal pictures needle GIF by #MAmovie

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Services will again struggle to appropriately rank him, but Herman’s team values hybrids and sees it as a Moneyball void in the way services rank and other programs think about talent at numerous spots. OU on offense being similar in thinking, unfortunately. That approach for UT also impacts LB/NB/Joker/S and is something the boards don’t follow well yet, any differently than the services. 

While this doesn't necessarily mean that Texas' plans at LB don't suck, this is, in fact, why I as a casual observer am not panicked about the lack of obvious LB plans: it's because I don't actually have any fucking clue what, exactly, they are looking for at the position. For all I know, even from reading what all the keyboard hotshots around here are all saying, they may actually have already zeroed in on their guy or guys. How the fuck would any of us know? They're looking for hybrid motherfuckers. Hybrid of what? Don't know.

It'll be fun to see. Hopefully for positive rather than negative reasons, but either way, I await with interest.

CTJ said "Big news going to continue for 2021 today and this weekend. "

and that Juan Davis was likely this weekend. So, another '21 left for today who's not Davis.

Looks like we'll be fostering Aggy's trail of tears today, and then into the weekend.

Edited by KYHorn
Machinator's correction

Just now, KYHorn said:

CTJ said "Big news going to continue for 2021 today and this weekend. "

and that Quay was likely this weekend. So, another '21 left for today who's not Quay.

Looks like we'll be fostering Aggy's trail of tears today, and then into the weekend.

Quay is already in, you're thinking of Juan

• Like 2