Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

His handlers are telling him the real money is at CB, so he's down to 175lbs. Really excited to see how Valai works with him.

On the Javonne Shepherd plan I see

Edit: damnit. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

HSFB Game Streams

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2020/08/31/dctf-texas-high-school-football-watch-guide-list-of-online-video-streams-for-week-1?ref=home_feature_article

*Also note that some school districts will not post the direct link or have the video embed on their district web page until the day of the game.

Brooks:

Hallettsville at Shiner
7:30 p.m.
Stream Link

Jackson/Burris:

Texarkana Pleasant Grove at Nashville (AR)
7:30 p.m.
Stream Link

Hope Brooks has a good OL, Shiner is always stout.

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Brown and Sterns haven’t left the ones since the new coaches got there. I mentioned to my source Sterns has had a quiet camp, “He’s been locking down his stuff, no need to worry there.

This is really good to hear about Sterns. 

He could have an All American type season.  

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Man, how stupid is Javonne Shepherd.  If he could have only just showed up to class, he would have had a chance to compete at RT as a RS freshman.  What a fucking moron to flunk out and then try to transfer at aggy bc you didn’t start as a true freshman.  

He had a bad case of the ‘supposedtas 

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Thoughts on Brooks, weekend visitor update

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Thoughts on Brooks, weekend visitor update

MikeRoach

—It took a bit for him to get going, but Jonathon Brooks did everything he could for Hallettsville in a loss to 2A powerhouse Shiner. His night included 4 touchdowns with 3 on offense and a 50-yard scoop and score on defense. This was really my first time to be able to observe Brooks in a full game. His lateral quickness is off the charts and he has incredible elusive ability to make people miss. There were several times Brooks found himself in big crowds and he kept gaining yards thanks to his oily hips and quick feet.

—The other things I really liked about Brooks were the way he ran with great balance and vision. He seems to have a natural feel for the cutback, and he’s got a great presence when it comes to sensing defenders on his blind side. There are a ton of natural instincts to love about his game, and those are even better when you consider his size. Though his level of competition isn’t great, Brooks put on a thoroughly dominant performance in week one of his senior year.

—If there are any question marks I have about Brooks’ game it’s the juice in his top gear. I love how fluid and quick he is laterally, but I didn’t see the speedy breakaway ability you want to see in a highly-rated back. Granted, I was watching from a stream with no zoom and no ability to track the ball in play, but that would be the biggest knock I have on him. I think he’s an excellent change of pace option and could be a really strong RB2 if Texas is able to land a guy like LJ Johnson.

—Highland Park OT Jack Leyrer was originally slated to take a self-guided visit today. He’s changed it to tomorrow and will make his way to Austin with the family. As we’ve discussed, Texas can’t have any face to face meetings on the trip, but they will have an advantage with Leyrer they didn’t have with any other guys who made visits. Leyrer has former teammates Paxton Anderson and Prince Dorbah already enrolled at Texas. In fact, Leyrer said the two have been on him since the Longhorns offered. Since they have a pre-existing relationship, they can act as campus guides for the three-star offensive tackle. We will follow up with sources and have something on Leyrer over the weekend.

7 hours ago, Getafix said:

According to sources, if we offer young Zaraivion, we're likely to make his Top 2.  (Unless he feels disrespected because of the late offer.)

Situation is fluid.  Hydraulics is a byotch.

Could be an epic head to head battle with Lamar.