Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

OU 247 / Brandon Drumm / Drumm Beat: Monday recruiting note

(Will cross-post to the OU thread ... just need time for a shower after visiting that thread.)

Spoiler

Drumm Beat: Monday recruiting note

Brandon Drumm

I know a lot of have asked about five-star RB Camar Wheaton and who his top two will be later on today.

What I do know is that OU will most likely be one. One source told me that they didn’t expect to see Texas on it, but I’m also told Texas feels very, very good about where they stand with LJ Johnson.

Last week a source with knowledge told me, “There are two schools and OU is for sure one,” the source said.

The source didn’t name a second team, but when I name Texas or SMU they hesitated a bit and said, “I think the team will shock most.”

I have had heard who it possibly could be, but I want to check with a few more people before I go all-in on the second team. Want a bit more confirmation.

I just wanted you all aware that the Summit did make some progress with Camar, as we reported yesterday, and that there is some potential movement in who could be going head-to-head with Oklahoma.

Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray has to continue to really build a relationship with Wheaton. That is essential in his recruitment, along with several other things.

Camar’s buddy, Sooners four-star OL target Savion Byrd, discussed Wheaton with me a few times over the last few days and told me, “He is a family guy,” Byrd said. “Playing close to home is very important to him, as is being able to provide for his mom later on in life, but we talk about playing together a lot. It would be fun if that could happen.”

Obviously, Byrd was in Norman/OKC for the Summit this weekend and had a good time. The relationship built with Camar and Sooners five-star QB commit Caleb Williams was also something that seemed to really help, according to sources.

All in all, I like where OU stands but the fact it’s just narrowing down to two means that the Sooners have a long way to go with the five-star RB.

We will keep you updated on what else I can find out.

prediction ::

OU commit Damon Harmon will rise way up the Rivals rankings. 

I suspect Stutsman will get a big bump as well, but I think they are going to lift Harmon way the fuck up. Mukes and Montgomery will also rise. Oh, and I see that Downs is a 3 star on Rivals. I suspect that will change as well. I also could see Caleb Williams leapfrogging Mims and maybe even Foreman. SMFH. 

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Here’s my worry, as a fuccboi: Wheaton goes ou because we have LJ. Then Georgia decides they want LJ and they flip him. And Wheaton is already living the horns down life. And we have to take the rb from Austin high. 

That hurt my glizzy.

Most offensive linemen are a little taller now. La'el Collins is 6'4". David Bakhtiari is 6'4" as well. Overall, most of the other top tackles are almost clones at 6'5" or 6'6". Very few are taller. At center, JC Tretter is 6'4", Maurkice Pouncey is 6'4", Corey Linsley is 6'3", Alex Mack is 6'4", Jason Kelce is 6'3", Ryan Kelly is 6'4", Erik McCoy is 6'4" and Rodney Hudson is 6'2". So looking at the numbers without doing calculations tackles probably avg. 6'5.5" - Guards 6'4.5" and Centers 6'3.5".

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

For those of us not following. Can i get a cliffs on the chat brocks story 

They hopped on the chat and asked if they could still join the team even though their dad was a raging cunt. The players all agreed that one arrogant asshole was enough for the team to handle. So, they committed to Bama. That’s what I’m told happened but absolutely don’t quote me on that.

5 minutes ago, aUsTinstrong said:

So we don't even make the top 3 for Wheaton? Wow. But I wouldn't want to follow Robinson either.

https://twitter.com/CamarWheaton/status/1298130213499555841?s=20

Yeah, because the depth charts at Bama and LSU are so much more favorable. LSU has 3 4 and 5 star rbs who are sophomores. Alabama has Harris, Najee SR    Robinson Jr., Brian SR       Robinson, Keilan SO    Sanders, Trey RS FR    Williams, Roydell FR.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

So Wheaton's best relationship has been with Drayton yet we didn't make his top 3? And this is because we favor LJ and there are rumors LJ is a silent to Texas?

30 minutes ago, aUsTinstrong said:

So we don't even make the top 3 for Wheaton? Wow. But I wouldn't want to follow Robinson either.

Well you can tell who didn't keep up with the board yesterday pretty easily (although Bevo managed to get all the way there himself)

It's not about following Bijan, though, since splitting some carries is advantageous, but taking two elite backs right after him and RoJo is pushing the limits of that sell.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, aUsTinstrong said:

We didn't make the top three because we're in a great spot with a different running back 

If I'm OU, I'm worried that Bama came relatively out of nowhere here to make this a top three instead of top two. I'm guessing they called him yesterday and told him they want him, which is why the edit came out late 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Is there a reason why we backed off number 3 in nation for LJ?  Assumption is LJ is in because if not that would be disgruntling 

What, no.

We recruited both, took the first one that wanted in (assuming LJ has let people know he's a silent), and the other naturally moved to where he'd be the lead back in the class.

• Hook 'Em 2