Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not sure where to post this,  but @closetojumping update:

He’s alive and...alive. I’m not sure we can say well. This motherfucker played the entire round of golf masked up like he was about to rob a liquor store. When we paused to let other people play through our group he made a point several times of busting out of the bushes to scare the fuck out of other golfers and field marshals. He takes his virtue signaling up to 11. Anyway, he said he hasn’t been able to engage mentally in football because of the uncertainty of everything, and unless he can get 100% invested it just doesn’t hold his interest. He’s stopped watching the astros too. I suspect he’ll be back after a couple of games are played. Or he’ll be dead because he walked into a fucking gas station like that.

54F61F43-3659-4219-9993-08728AEE217C.jpeg

Maybe CTJ is Ketch. BTW, nice hair. Which hairdresser did you use for the highlights?

On 2/18/2019 at 1:55 AM, texasstrong12 said:

This kid might not look like it but he's legit.  Kid has a cannon of an arm. 

On 2/19/2019 at 8:00 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Lake Travis has some good QBs and they also have lots of talent and a good system. 

Put Wright on that team and he's putting up video game numbers. 

On 2/19/2019 at 7:53 PM, texasstrong12 said:

No offense but that's laughable. 33 TDs and 3100 yards as a Sophomore in a fairly tough district at a school that doesn't have anywhere the talent level of some schools in that area. 

I think you are drastically undervaluing Wright. 

On 2/19/2019 at 5:07 PM, texasstrong12 said:

I like a lot of the QBs in state this cycle. The kid that's at Lake Travis (Yarnell) is good. That kid from Austin High (Wright) will blow up once he bulks up some more. Kid has a cannon and produced some big numbers in a talented district. 

FYI that Yarnell kid's mom is a big Longhorn fan. I think she went to UT. Seems like dependent on development he could be a good 2nd QB take in this class if that's a route they want to go. 

I know that Wright kid is going to end up somewhere like TCU and be a pain in the ass for years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Mason Ramsey said:

props to him. he probably had a good chance at being a multi-year starter at ISU, but is coming here to be the backup's backup. 

hook 'em, Charles 

He can attend his dream school and transfer if he has to later. Win win.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, thepop said:

He can attend his dream school and transfer if he has to later. Win win.

Also, If he has any coaching aspirations probably not a bad gig to learn under Yurcich... 

Not sure what Wright's Dad does, but often it's great to recruit QBs that are coaches sons...   

TFB write up

Texas has landed their 2021 QB in Charles Wright from Austin High School. Wright flipped from Iowa State, and it just made too much sense for the local quarterback to play college football in Austin.

I really like this get for Texas, I love Wright’s game. And this commitment isn’t a surprise. Wright was the third name I heard along with Grayson James and Maddox Kopp in regards to who Texas was reaching out to. I confirmed it with Wright, but he didn’t want it out there because he didn’t want to look disrespectful towards Iowa State. He was completely locked in with the Cyclones, but knew Texas was his dream. That was before the offer came.

Once that happened and he got the call from Tom Herman and Mike Yurcich, it was over. Another reason I love this commitment is that Wright is the perfect guy to put between the elite 2020 QB duo in Card/Jackson and 5-star Quinn Ewers in 2022.

At 6’1, his size isn’t amazing but it’s not a concern at all for me. Looking at another Austin area QB, Charlie Brewer at Baylor is someone I think has some similarities with Wright. Really good touch and accuracy on the intermediate/deep ball. Not elite arm strength from but great anticipation and touch. Quick release and is comfortable throwing at different arm angles when necessary. Really catchable ball. Not a great runner, but athletic enough to make plays when needed.

In a loaded district that features state powerhouse in Westlake and Lake Travis, Wright has put together a really solid high school career. Just under 5,800 passing yards and 57 touchdowns as a starter as a sophomore and  junior.

Wright is commitment number 17 in the 2022 class.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I guess I will be the asshole...could we have done better?

Drones just recruited his buddy Masters to Baylor, so that bridge looks fully crispy.

Maddox Kopp is probably going to be Ole Miss' take, and Kiffin is giving him the full "define my new era" sell

So this is a good take. Campbell knows his shit, so Wright can almost definitely sling it, and we're screwing the 'clones over. It's a win-win on a couple levels for Texas.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I guess I will be the asshole...could we have done better?

The point was to bring in a guy who won’t transfer right away, so no. 

We signed two highly ranked QBs in 2020 and the top QB in the country in 2022 is committed. 2021 became a gap year once Ewers committed. It’s why Milroe left, he saw the writing on the wall.

• Hook 'Em 2