Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

I saw this screenshot..  only thing that bummed me out was no Hutzler... hopefully he does stay..
image.thumb.png.92cbd3fe8de1f07024415bcf81178b1e.png

Durkin over Hutzler would be awful. The latter has been excellent and Durkin managed to be such a backward, over the top hardass that a kid was killed on his watch at Maryland (and Texas subsequently lost to this MD team running exclusively jet sweeps lol).

Durkin over Hutzler would be awful. The latter has been excellent and Durkin managed to be such a backward, over the top hardass that a kid was killed on his watch at Maryland (and Texas subsequently lost to this MD team running exclusively jet sweeps lol).

Hmm justin Frye. That UCLA offense hasn’t been great.

23 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Reggie Grob died similarly at Texas under DKR’s watch.

34 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Reggie Grob died similarly at Texas under DKR’s watch.

Sure, but that was in the early sixties. Pretty sure back then people also believed that cigarettes were healthy. It's not inconsistent to judge Durkin differently than DKR considering all we know about player hydration/overexertion/etc. at this point.

5 hours ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Sure, but that was in the early sixties. Pretty sure back then people also believed that cigarettes were healthy. It's not inconsistent to judge Durkin differently than DKR considering all we know about player hydration/overexertion/etc. at this point.

Yep. I played HS ball in East Texas during the late 70s and we had a five minute break in the middle of practice where you got a Dixie cup of warm Gatorade and a salt pill.

• Hook 'Em 2

Mike Roach: Five-star DL Shemar Turner talks decision, timeline

Shemar Turner has a decision to make. That decision is arguably the most high-profile of choices left in the state of Texas. The DeSoto defensive tackle recently received his fifth star in the 247Sports Composite rankings, and he was excited by the honor. "Really it's a great accolade to have, it's a good accomplishment on my end but I put a lot of work in so I deserved but stars don't mean anything, rankings don't mean anything so I continue to get better," he said.

The Eagles are headed towards the playoffs following a strong regular season. Turner told 247Sports he can see his game developing every day. "The season has been going well for us," Turner said. "I've become a better leader, a way better leader, vocal leader every day. Really the game speed has slowed all the way down. I understand things better now, I can pick up stuff better like in this game I didn't get a pass hit. They were zone-blocking us so I caught onto that, that's how I got that sack in the first quarter."

Turner officially has a Top 5 of Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU and Georgia. While he's maintained that he's open to all schools, most believe this will come down to Texas and Texas A&M. Turner plans to take the next week to see if he can hone in on one choice. "Right now I'm really focusing on one school, trying to get that secured," he said.

After telling Horn247 a few weeks ago that he plans to sign in February, Turner is now considering signing in December. If he's not comfortable making his move next week, Turner will likely delay until February. "Right now I will be signing in the first signing period, but if I'm not comfortable on signing day so I told coach Sweeny you can put my name down but it might not happen or it might happen."

Texas recently landed a commitment from Turner's teammate and close friend Byron Murphy. Turner said the commitment of Murphy helped the Longhorns a bit in the race to land him. "Right now, because you know they got my boy Byron now so that helped them a little bit so me and them we are still talking, building a relationship," Turner said. Murphy didn't tell anyone about his plans to flip to the Longhorns. He told Turner he wanted to keep it a surprise and he was able to do so.

"I was surprised, I was surprised because I didn't know they offered him," he said. "Then he said he was going to decommit so he posted he was decommitting and stuff like that. He said he was going to be committing at 12, I was like where are you going? He didn't want to tell me, he did not want to tell me. So when I saw it I was like 'oh snap Texas'."

Turner has some serious thinking to do, but he's not going to rush anything. He knows he has an important decision to make and plenty of time to make it. "That's what I would like to do, that's what I would like to do. But like I said if I'm not comfortable with that decision," Turner said. "I like to take my time with stuff, I want to have no regrets, no nothing so I'm going to take my time, if it's the time for it, I'm praying on it so if it's the time for it God is going to let me do it. If not then we will wait until February."

At 6-foot-3, 282 pounds, Turner is ranked as the No. 4 strong-side defensive end in the nation and No. 5 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Sounds about right. We're the only one of those programs that doesn't take football life-or-death seriously. They go to the CFB playoff, we get to look smart in our Christmas sweaters as we smirk at them playing football on TV around New Year's, what a bunch of Philistines. 

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

errbody and malikmas   ahh the good ole days

now its 3 star bread van and laughing at any update involving an elite prospect knowing we have no shot 

i would fist myself @futureman style to get that rush of signing day charlie back

here is a little inside info from when my woos friend  was being courted charlie knew how to host a recruit & family his visits blow hermans boring visits away 

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Rage+1 1

(Mike Roach) The Stampede: A rundown of the Texas class before signing day

The early signing period is just over a week away.

The Longhorns have several uncommitted targets still on the board, but they also need to sign the committed targets already in the class. Where do things stand with that current group of commits? We hit the phones hard over the last week to check in with the committed members of the class and those around them to try and get a full picture of what will happen next week.

Is there any reason to worry about any members of the class? Who is looking to sign early and who is supposed to enroll early? As always, this information is subject to change but today is a good day to start preparing for the stretch run. In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247’s weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we provide a full primer for signing day to make sure you’re informed for the week ahead.

Ja'Tavion Sanders, ATH, Denton Ryan

Signing Date: December

Enrolling: Summer of 2021

The prize of the 2021 class, Sanders confirmed with Horns247 that he plans to sign early. Though there were some initial fears regarding his commitment after his teammate Billy Bowman defected for the Sooners, but there was never real actual smoke from those close to Sanders when it came to the status of his commitment. When he was offered, Sanders made it clear that he grew up a Texas fan, and when he was asked multiple times after committing, he emphasized that he was firm to Texas. We expect his signature to headline the day for the Longhorns.

Ishmael Ibraheem, CB, Dallas Kimball

The Under Armour All-American has been pretty quiet since making his commitment back in June, and all signs point to Ibraheem signing his LOI and enrolling next summer. While I’m fairly sure that will happen, there are those around Ibraheem urging him to be flexible with impending coaching changes. Ibraheem picked Texas largely because of his relationship with Jay Valai, so that could be something to watch if there is sweeping change within the coaching staff.

JD Coffey, S, Kennedale

Enrolling: January of 2021

Coffey is set to enroll early at Texas and sign in December, but he is another one monitoring the coaching situation closely. The four-star prospect has been one of the strongest Texas commits in the class and a longtime lean even before he committed, but he does have a very strong relationship with Chris Ash and he could be another to watch if any sweeping changes are made.

Jamier Johnson, CB, Pasadena (Calif.) John Muir

We received confirmation over the weekend that Johnson is ready to sign early and enroll in January.  The four-star California defensive back committed to Texas in July and decided to forgo his senior season which was pushed to the spring in California.  In talking to our west coast team, there are no concerns about Johnson at the moment.

Derrick Harris, DE, New Caney

One of the longest-tenured commits in the class, Harris has been injured for the majority of his senior season. He’s set to sign and enroll early as he continues to rehabilitate from his injury and prepares to play early.

Jordon Thomas, DE, Port Arthur Memorial

Signing Date: ???

Color me a bit puzzled on this one. I reached out to Thomas to confirm his information last week and he told me he wasn’t sure when he would be signing. When I asked about his signing date, he told me he wasn’t quite sure about when he would be signing and would need to talk to his coach. In digging a little deeper, it didn’t seem that Thomas was wavering, and I think he was just confused about the procedure. We’ll keep checking back here to stay on top of it.

Terrence Cooks, LB, Pearland Shadow Creek

Cooks has been set to enroll early since committing to Texas a little over a month ago. The speedy Shadow Creek linebacker cited a strong relationship with Coleman Hutzler as a reason for his commitment, but he also wants to take advantage of the educational opportunities presented by the Longhorns. We haven’t heard of anything that could change that to this point but we will be watching in the event of a coaching change.

Morice Blackwell, LB, Arlington Martin

Last I heard, Blackwell was intending to sign in December and enroll following a spring graduation. I’ve not been able to reach Blackwell yet to confirm, but we will continue to work towards that over the course of the next week.

Jaden Alexis, WR, Pompano Beach (Fla.) Monarch

Alexis committed to Texas in part because of the fit at the school and the education he could get. The speedy Floridian is wrapping up his senior season now and he told Horns247 that he is all set to enroll early and not look back. I checked back again this weekend and there seems to be no wavering.

Hayden Conner, OT, Katy Taylor

The longest-tenured commit in the class is full steam ahead as he looks to embark into the educational field of UT Aerospace. The massive tackle prospect has been locked into Texas since making his commitment, and we expect no turbulence in this one before signing day.

Byron Murphy, DT, DeSoto

Murphy already flipped once when he switched his commitment from Baylor to Texas, and he told Horns247 shortly after that commitment that he plans to sign in December. I checked around, and it doesn’t sounds like there is much that will shake Murphy’s commitment up.

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Hallettsville

Brooks has been on a tear in the playoffs, and he’s one win away from making a trip to the state championships. Brooks waffled a bit on the signing date telling someone I trust that he was going to sign in February, but he told Horns247 on two separate occasions that he would be signing in December. Brooks continues to maintain that he’s locked in for his commitment.

Juan Davis, ATH, Everman

Davis has been pretty quiet since making his commitment, but he hasn’t wavered any despite several schools coming after him. The swiss army knife athlete could be a big receiving threat at the next level, and he’s expected to sign with no fuss.

Gunnar Helm, TE, Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek

Helm finished his season over the weekend with a state championship appearance, and all signs point to him inking with the Longhorns next week and enrolling early. Helm will infuse some size and athleticism into the tight end room immediately and he’s been gung-ho about Texas since making his commitment.

Casey Cain, WR, New Orleans (LA) Warren Easton

Cain has remained fairly quiet, and there were times we heard many whispers in regard to his recruitment. Despite that, we are hearing that Cain is expected to sign early and enroll next summer. The big wide receiver target is one of two at the position for the Longhorns and he’s going to be depended upon to add some playmaking skill to the offensive side of the ball.

Michael Myslinski, OL, Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny

Myslinski is set to sign early, but his school doesn’t allow for early graduation. This could potentially be one to watch down the stretch if something happens with Herb Hand. That said, Myslinski visited Austin a few weeks ago and spent some time with Charles Wright and it seems he’s ready to be a Longhorn.

Max Merril, OL, Houston Strake Jesuit

We expect Merril to sign early based on the indications, but we haven’t been able to reach him for confirmation yet. At last check, Merril was not slated to be an early enrollee, but we will keep checking this week to see if we can update the status accurately.

Charles Wright, QB, Austin High

There isn’t much intrigue here. Wright was born to be a Longhorn and pulled the trigger quickly after being offered. He will sign early and show up in January with the goal of competing for playing time.

Isaac Pearson, P, Pro Kick Australia

If you worried about the punter and his potential status, as we were told, you can relax and have, “No worries mate.” Pearson is ready to get state side and begin his education, and that will become official on December 16.

CDC called LJ Johnson per fat Ketch

* With National Signing Day around the corner, it appears an effort is being made to keep this recruiting class together and add another playmaker. Chris Del Conte recently picked up the phone to give LJ Johnson reassurances about the program. To our knowledge, Johnson is the only recruit who has asked to speak with Del Conte.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

CDC called LJ Johnson per fat Ketch

* With National Signing Day around the corner, it appears an effort is being made to keep this recruiting class together and add another playmaker. Chris Del Conte recently picked up the phone to give LJ Johnson reassurances about the program. To our knowledge, Johnson is the only recruit who has asked to speak with Del Conte.

seems like LJ is UT's to lose. That friendship with Bijan Robinson must be quite strong.

(Mike Roach) Crystal Ballin: Like it, Love it, Leave it

We are just over a week away from the beginning of the early signing period, and Texas is trying to put the finishing touches on the 2021 class. The Longhorns have approximately 4-5 remaining spots in the current cycle, and they need to make the most out of their opportunities down the stretch. While Texas still has plenty of options on the board, they still need to land their targets and add more talent to the 2021 class.

So, where do things stand with Texas and the remaining targets on the board? Can the Longhorns add a few elite names to beef up the overall talent level, or will they have a disappointing slide into January? In this edition of Crystal Ballin, I add new picks update existing ones and tell you if I love it, like it or will want to leave it.

LJ Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair

Current Pick: Texas

I put this pick in for Texas during the summer, and though the Longhorns have come back to the pack a bit, I still like where Texas stands in this race. Johnson said he plans to make his decision in December, but he acknowledged that it could stretch into February. The current season will be the ultimate catalyst for that as he wants to make sure he’s focusing on his final playoff run in high school. Texas A&M is still one to watch here, but I think it’s close to 50/50 if not a slight edge to Texas right now.

Camar Wheaton, RB, Garland Lakeview Centennial

Current Pick: Oklahoma

When the five-star back chose to drop Texas from his list of schools prior to the season, I placed a pick for Oklahoma and somewhat unplugged from that recruitment. I checked back this week and found no reason to change my pick at this time. Though I know there’s been some stalling on Wheaton’s part, he will make his decision in December. I’m sticking with the Sooners here who have had the momentum since the late summer.

Keithron Lee, WR, Bryan (Texas) Rudder

New Pick: Texas

Lee has been somewhat quiet and tough to get a read on, but the word we are getting from sources is that Texas seems to be in control of this one right now. The feedback we’ve heard should warrant a ‘Love it’, but we don’t’ have an overwhelming number of sources right now to go all-in with. Still, it sounds positive for the Longhorns in regard to the explosive wideout.

Antonio Harmon, WR, Kosciusko (MS.)

Current Pick: Texas

I think Texas could land Harmon if they push, but I’m not sure how hard they will do it based on the current picture. The Longhorns already have an outside receiver candidate in Casey Cain who is committed to the class, and they may be keeping their powder dry for the transfer market or someone like Keon Coleman prior to February. Harmon announced his desire to commit in a week, and I don’t believe it will be to Texas.
 (Photo: Nick Harris, 247Sports)

JJ Henry, WR, McKinney North

New Pick: Ole Miss

The recruitment of Henry has been one of the most fascinating to cover in this cycle. The electric slot prospect seemed to be headed toward Texas or Texas A&M over the last few months, but lately, things changed in Henry’s recruitment that caused those programs to look elsewhere. Having recently freed up room by dropping two Texas wide receiver commits, the Rebels have an opening and are pushing hard. I expect Henry to commit to and sign with Ole Miss when he makes that decision.

Bryce Foster, OL, Katy Taylor

There has been so much smoke around Foster and Oklahoma for a long period of time that it’s hard to ignore. That said, Texas A&M made a compelling case over the course of the season and I think this one is tight. Perhaps if there were an option for unsure I’d choose that one, but I’m going to stick with my Oklahoma pick right now.

Savion Byrd, OL, Duncanville

Current Pick: SMU

I recently flipped my pick back from Oklahoma to SMU, and in checking this week I’m still hearing considerable buzz for the Mustangs. Byrd originally talked about making his decision in February but moving his pick to December all but eliminated Texas. Bigger surprises have happened, but I expect Byrd to remain at home and give SMU a massive win on the recruiting trail.

Remington Strickland, OL, Fort Bend Christian

New Pick: Texas A&M

Strickland let his actions speak for him in his recruitment as he made self-guided visits to Oklahoma and Texas A&M and didn’t bother heading to Austin. Oklahoma jumped out to some early momentum in the recruitment of the rising offensive line prospect, but the relative proximity of College Station could play in favor of the Aggies when Strickland ultimately makes his decision.

Shemar Turner, DL, DeSoto

New Pick: Texas A&M

There is no defensive target on the board more important than Shemar Turner right now. There has been some mixed information about when he might make his pick, and a February date would favor Texas more. I don’t think he’s sold on the Longhorns anymore, and the job Terry Price and Texas A&M have done since the spring has been nothing short of outstanding.

David Abiara, DL, Mansfield Legacy

This is probably the recruitment I’m having the toughest time getting my arms around right now. During the summer, it looked all but done to Oklahoma, but that’s changed lately. Abiara was a growing hot commodity in the spring and summer, but his senior season and some off the field troubles have put that future a bit in doubt. It sounds like this one could go til February, and we hope to gain some more clarity on where Abiara might land in the next few weeks, and I believe Texas would be a factor if they pushed for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

(Justin Wells) Where It Stands: Texas C/O 2021

While it appears Tom Herman will be the coach through the early signing period, December 16th-18th, it's a good time to see where UT stands with each commit for 2021, and any targets landing over the next eight days.

QB Charles Wright, Austin High - NSD1, early enrollee. When Texas lost Jalen Milroe, the staff made one call. The local signal-caller down the road was more than eager to hear from UT. This kid was stolen from Matt Campbell...

RB Jonathon Brooks, Hallettsville - NSD1. UT's lone tailback in 2021 isn't quite finished with his senior campaign. @josephcook watched him and approves.

WR Jaden Alexis, Monarch (Coconut Creek, FL) - NSD1, early enrollee. Texas and Hudson Card needs his speed and twitch on the offensive side.

WR Casey Cain, Warron Easton (New Orleans) - NSD2. Some uncertainty with the cajun-born receiver, but nothing that says he's won't ink either. He's an 'X' for this staff.

TE Juan Davis, Everman - NSD1. Tight end, linebacker, it does not matter. Davis is good for the program.

TE Gunnar Helm, Cherry Creek, CO - NSD1, early enrollee. Fresh off a state championship, the long and lean tight end will be in Austin on January 16th.

OL Michael Myslinski, Bishop Kenny (Jacksonville, FL) - NSD1. The scrappy C/G is still getting a push from Iowa and Michigan State, but it appears he's locked in.

OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor - NSD1, early enrollee. The Big NASA will be landing in Austin on January 16th.

OL Max Merrill, Strake Jesuit - NSD1. Locked in for the early signing period, this one was easy.

DE Ja'Tavion Sanders, Denton Ryan - NSD1. The single biggest reason to hang onto Tom Herman through the early signing period, keeping JTS in the class is imperative.

DL Jordon Thomas, Port Arthur Memorial - NSD1. State on the front, name on the back. Thomas would probably sign with Texas no matter the head coach.

DL Byron Murphy, Desoto - NSD1. This one is big. Even if the Horns strikeout on teammate Shemar Turner, Murphy is a dude. It also continues the annual tradition of flipping Bears.

LB Morice Blackwell, Arlington Martin - NSD1. This one is bigger. Nabbing the four-star linebacker on Mother's Day was a nice surprise for his mom. Even nicer for the Texas staff. He's got younger teammates you want, so give him something nice to say.

LB Terrence Cooks, Alvin Shadow Creek - NSD1, early enrollee. This one is even bigger. Props to Coleman Hutzler for wrapping this up. Cooks is a flat-out stud and most colleges know it.

LB Derrick Harris Jr, New Caney - NSD1, early enrollee. Missed most of his senior campaign due to injury, the future Jack and current class leader in the butterfly stroke is ready for college.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem, Dallas Kimball - NSD1. I really like the Dallas area defensive back signing early. One of the steals of this class, he's a natural corner and will probably play early.

CB Jamier Johnson, John Muir (Pasadena, CA) - NSD1, early enrollee. He missed his senior year due to the pandemic, so he'll be a little rusty when he enrolls early.

S JD Coffey, Kennedale - NSD1, early enrollee. Oregon is still flirting with the defensive back, but this guy is orange house. You can relax, @Ktown777.

P Isaac Pearson, ProKick Australia - NSD1. The punter from the land down under is eager to follow in fellow Aussies footsteps in the ATX.

-- WHO COULD JOIN SOON? --

Texas still has its eyes on a handful of targets, hoping for a hint of momentum.

RB LJ Johnson, Cy-Fair. The Horns have not let up in pursuit of arguably the state's top tailback for 2021. Despite the staff's uncertainty, and convincing overtures from A&M and OU, Johnson is still there. Stay tuned.

WR Antonio Harmon, Kosciusko (MS). He posted he'd like to commit next week yesterday, and Texas did make his final cut. I just don't think UT is pushing for his services. Give me Mississippi State here.

WR JJ Henry, McKinney North. Texas wants, then they don't, then they want, then they don't. They want the speedster today, but Ole Miss looks like the front-runner.

WR Keithron Lee, Bryan Rudder. Texas is squarely in the mix for the former UTSA commit.

OL Savion Byrd, Remington Strickland, Bryce Foster. I just don't see them in this class.

DE David Abiarra, Mansfield Legacy. The former Notre Dame pledge likes Oklahoma, and I believe the Sooners get him if they push.

DE Shemar Turner, Desoto. This has been trending A&M for a good while, and I think he inks on NSD1.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

Is Keithron Lee the guy who had 17 touchdowns in the first half of his season or something ridiculous like that.

Yep. 26 TDs in 10 games, I think. 

Stat lines like this ::

Bryan Rudder defeated Pflugerville Weiss 63-56. Keithron Lee caught 12 passes for 278 yards and four touchdowns. He also ran for 91 yards and two more scores on 12 carries.

Bryan Rudder beat Nacogdoches 48-21. Keithron Lee caught four passes for 100 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 70 yards and two more scores.

Lee, who has caught 52 passes for 936 yards and 14 touchdowns in just six games so far this season while also rushing for 288 yards and five touchdowns.

Edited by golfclap

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Yep. 26 TDs in 10 games, I think. 

Stat lines like this ::

Bryan Rudder defeated Pflugerville Weiss 63-56. Keithron Lee caught 12 passes for 278 yards and four touchdowns. He also ran for 91 yards and two more scores on 12 carries.

Bryan Rudder beat Nacogdoches 48-21. Keithron Lee caught four passes for 100 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 70 yards and two more scores.

Lee, who has caught 52 passes for 936 yards and 14 touchdowns in just six games so far this season while also rushing for 288 yards and five touchdowns.

But can he coach?

Or, at the very least, refuse to come out for the likes of Epps and Kai Money?

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Roach had an update on LJ with a bunch of upvotes and Perroni did to with not so much, so maybe trending good in that 1?

its 50-50 maybe slightly texas but waiting to see what happens to the staff  and is holding off till february