Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think they're attempting to understand just what in the fuck is happening at Texas, and that's reasonable. The other schools they're considering seriously have issues as well. Clemson isn't exactly churning out 1st rounders to the pros on the OL. Bama is a mercenary school and how long Saban wants to stick around is becoming more and more relevant with each class signed. 

"You will learn your best lessons from the worst people."

LotusHorn outing me as Greg Davis. Christ. 

I had to go look it up - their last OL drafted (Isiah Battle) was in 2015 in the 5th round of the supplemental draft.  They've had 3 OL drafted (including Battle) since the 2009 draft - the highest being a 3rd rounder in 2014.

Clemson OL drafted since 2009:

2011 - Chris Hairston 4th Round

2014 - Brandon Thomas 3rd Round

2015 Isiah Battle 5th Round 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I had to go look it up - their last OL drafted (Isiah Battle) was in 2015 in the 5th round of the supplemental draft.  They've had 3 OL drafted (including Battle) since the 2009 draft - the highest being a 3rd rounder in 2014.

Damn, I had no idea they'd struggled so much there given that the rest of the team is the current ncaa juggernaut

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yeah, it's one area within the Clemson program not worthy of envy. They're graduating like 4 starters on the OL this year, so I am curious to see how well any of those guys fare. 

The Clemson OL draft data and the OU defensive draft data from 2011 through 2020 will be curious and trending towards comical. As bad as Texas has been, climbing up the rungs back to the elite isn't as distant as it feels sometimes. 

Texas T Connor Williams (2nd round 50th overall pick 2018) was drafted higher than any Clemson OL since Dave Thompson in 1971 (2nd round 30th overall pick).  

That seems shocking considering Clemson's success over the last 9 years.

TIL Clemson doesn't put out NFL OL.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I'll give you odds. You're being a pussy about this one. I want to make a point. If they sign elsewhere, I'll write a paean to your recruiting wisdom and post it on this thread and upvote every post I see from you for a year. If they sign with Texas, you just have to change your avatar to an image of my choosing. What do you say?

At least we have something to look forward to now either way

Rivals put an article out about the Future 50 event. Regarding UT related recruits the good reports were James Brockermeyer, Quay Davis, Billy Bowman at DB, Tony Grimes, and Camar Wheaton. The negative reports were for Savion Byrd and Landon Jackson.

https://n.rivals.com/news/mind-of-mike-deep-dl-and-other-future-50-observations

39 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Rivals put an article out about the Future 50 event. Regarding UT related recruits the good reports were James Brockermeyer, Quay Davis, Billy Bowman at DB, Tony Grimes, and Camar Wheaton. The negative reports were for Savion Byrd and Landon Jackson.

Well Byrd did play DT all season.  What'd they expect when he went to OT.

2 hours ago, rvm96 said:

Farrell sucks at evaluating 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fud said:

Footwork queen calls the head coach of pleasant grove racist on twitter

That’s a bullshit pussy move by FWK. Coach Gibson does more for young black men than FWK does, by far. And FWK’s “investment” in them is purely motivated by profit. Fuck him. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

That’s a bullshit pussy move by FWK. Coach Gibson does more for young black men than FWK does, by far. And FWK’s “investment” in them is purely motivated by profit. Fuck him. 

Don't worry, I'm sure the outcry from Texas high school football coaches over one of their own being publicly accused of racism with zero evidence will be proportional to that one time that we recruited a kid from Florida.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I’m not at all happy with where we are as a program right now, but “in shambles” seems a bit dramatic, doesn’t it?

It also doesn’t jibe with Roach’s reporting, who’s been saying that Tommy has been genuinely interested in Clemson and LSU since last spring, when the Sugar Bowl win was still a recent thing and there was not even any “dumpster fire” talk.  

Edited by ClubWhatever