Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But a bye to prepare for okie lite

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont give a rat's ass about their schedule after we play them. Because fucking win them all. 

This. Our DL better push Rattler's shit in so far that he spends his entire bye week contemplating whether he ever wants to put on a helmet again. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Quick alternative perspective read

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/football/college-football-recruiting-could-hit-another-gear-with-fall-schedule-in-flux

While I have assumed that not playing football in the fall would be a recruiting negative for schools in those conferences, Weathersby makes the opposite argument. The additional time afforded those coaches translates to ramped up recruiting efforts. 

For teams like Michigan and SC, I don't believe that the inability to showcase progress from last season in the lead up to ESD is a positive. If the B12 cancelled, Texas would be in the same boat. However, for teams that have nothing to prove, like fOSU, Washington and Utah to an extent, even pedo state, the extra time to scout and recruit could in fact be an advantage. Especially if they are able to sell the idea that 2021 EEs get two freshman seasons, even if they don't actually participate on the field. 

Hamilton: Prospect measurables

The 2021 class ... all data from 2020 unless noted otherwise

QB Jalen Milroe 6-1 7/8, 192, 9.0 inch hand, 4.11 laser shuttle, 7.43 laser L-cone
RB Jonathan Brooks 6-0, 187, 75.75 wingspan, 9.5 inch hand
WR Jaden Alexis 5-11, 174, 74 wingspan, 8.75 inch hand, 4.54 laser 40, 4.33 laser shuttle
WR Casey Cain 6-2, 182, 77.75 wingspan, 9.25 inch hand
TE/ATH Juan Davis 6-2, 221, 74 wingspan
TE Gunnar Helm 6-4.5, 219, 79 wingspan, 9.75 inch hand
OC Michael Myslinski - nothing from 2020
OT/G Hayden Conner 6-6, 316, 80 wingspan, 9.75 inch hand, 4.74 laser shuttle
DE Jordon Thomas - nothing from 2020
OLB Ja'Tavion Sanders - 2019 ... 6-3, 78 wingspan, 10.0 inch hand
OLB Derrick Harris Jr. 6-3, 219, 82 wingspan, 9.0 inch hand
LB Morice Blackwell 6-1.5, 77 wingspan, 9.25 inch hand, 4.5 laser shuttle
S J.D. Coffey 5-11 7/8, 182, 9.25 inch hand, 73 wingspan, 4.38 laser shuttle
CB Ishmael Ibraheem 6-1.5, 153, 74.5 wingspan, 4.23 laser shuttle
CB Jamier Johnson 5-11, 157, 74.5 wingspan, 4.33 laser shuttle
ATH Billy Bowman 5-10, 173, 71.5 wingspan, 8.5 inch hand, 4.6 laser 40, 4.3 laser shuttle

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

Is that good enough for tackle?

It's good enough for NFL tackle

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-combine-2020-results-mekhi-becton-andrew-thomas-shine-as-offensive-linemen-weigh-in/

PLAYER HEIGHT WEIGHT (LBS) ARM LENGTH WINGSPAN
Tyler Biadasz 6-3 5/8 314 32 2/8" 79 7/8"
Ben Bredeson 6-4 5/8 315 31 1/8" 76 6/8"
Cohl Cabral 6-4 7/8 300 32 2/8" 78 4/8"
Trystan Colon-Castillo 6-3 313 30 4/8" 76 2/8"
Lloyd Cushenberry 6-3 1/8 312 34 1/8" 84 2/8"
Jake Hanson 6-4 3/8 303 32 6/8" 76 6/8"
Nick Harris 6-0 7/8 302 32 1/8" 77 4/8"
Matt Hennessy 6-3 7/8 307 32 2/8" 79 6/8"
Keith Ishmael 6-2 7/8 309 32 2/8" 78 7/8"
Cordel Iwuagwu 6-2 7/8 309 33 6/8" 81"
Jonah Jackson 6-3 4/8 306 33 4/8" 77 7/8"
Solomon Kindley 6-3 2/8 337 32 3/8" 77 6/8"
Shane Lemieux 6-3 7/8 310 32 2/8" 77"
Damien Lewis 6-2 327 33 79 4/8"
John Molchon 6-5 2/8 309 31 1/8" 76 4/8"
Kyle Murphy 6-3 2/8 316 33 7/8" 79 7/8"
Netane Muti 6-2 7/8 315 31 6/8" 76 4/8"
Michael Onwenu 6-2 5/8 344 34 3/8" 82"
Danny Pinter 6-4 2/8 306 31 7/8" 77 7/8"
Cesar Ruiz 6-2 6/8 307 33 1/8" 79 5/8"
John Simpson 6-4 1/8 321 34 1/8" 82 3/8"
Logan Stenberg 6-6 317 32 4/8" 80"
Simon Stepaniak 6-4 1/8 313 32" 79 7/8"
Calvin Throckmorton 6-5 317 32 4/8" 80 6/8"
Daryl Williams 6-2 3/8 304 32 1/8" 77 7/8"

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

@Ricky's one-hitter gave you the goods, and yeah - that's good enough for OT. 

Let me give you the full uncut direct to the vein version ... 

Hayden Conner is IMHO currently one of the most underrated prospects in the country and Texas specifically. His HUDL and full game tape is as good as you will find for an OL. I said before that the only thing standing between Conner and 12 years in the NFL is his 3 years of eligibility (please let it be 5) is that he may actually be too smart for the sport of football -- this is where we all take a moment and hope that he has a lot of Justin Blalock in him and wants to grind people to dust before spending a career bending time/space.  The fact that he has not just good NFL measurables (specifically that wingspan) but elite ones -- makes his ranking all the more comical. The love affair that the 9.95ers have with Bryce Foster who is all athletic potential with horrendous film and an inability to actually play the sport of football right now -- while ignoring that Conner is an elite OL prospect is mind blowing. 

The funniest part is that each successive year the "Texas doesn't develop talent" narrative gets closer to not only dying, but being flipped in the other direction. Conner's rating on 247 (3* and 99 in TX) is going to be another data point of the "incredible development" - when really it'll be turn him over to Yancey and clean a couple of things and send him to the draft. The number of OL guys that have better combo of ht/wt/wingspan/film/smarts/athletic upside is fucking minuscule, and there are several 5 and high 4 star OTs that don't meet his standard in any one of those. 

coolaid.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Connor also improved big time from his sophomore season and rising junior camp offseason to his junior season (I thought he was pretty overrated at the time). He worked hard on his body and tech, and it showed off in his junior season and the camps he's been able to make it to. I like the trendline. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Didn't he start in the Top 15, if not Top 10 in the very early Texas rankings? Though I might be remembering with the early Looch 44, when it was assumed Connor was an ag lock.

he was a 92 on 8/24/2018 on 247 and a 0.9896 composite -- which I think would put him at about #15 in the country and #3 in Texas right now. 

I can't get over him being an 87 3* and 99 in the state on 247. it's ... insane. 

Edited by golfclap
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

@Ricky's one-hitter gave you the goods, and yeah - that's good enough for OT. 

Let me give you the full uncut direct to the vein version ... 

Hayden Conner is IMHO currently one of the most underrated prospects in the country and Texas specifically. His HUDL and full game tape is as good as you will find for an OL. I said before that the only thing standing between Conner and 12 years in the NFL is his 3 years of eligibility (please let it be 5) is that he may actually be too smart for the sport of football -- this is where we all take a moment and hope that he has a lot of Justin Blalock in him and wants to grind people to dust before spending a career bending time/space.  The fact that he has not just good NFL measurables (specifically that wingspan) but elite ones -- makes his ranking all the more comical. The love affair that the 9.95ers have with Bryce Foster who is all athletic potential with horrendous film and an inability to actually play the sport of football right now -- while ignoring that Conner is an elite OL prospect is mind blowing. 

The funniest part is that each successive year the "Texas doesn't develop talent" narrative gets closer to not only dying, but being flipped in the other direction. Conner's rating on 247 (3* and 99 in TX) is going to be another data point of the "incredible development" - when really it'll be turn him over to Yancey and clean a couple of things and send him to the draft. The number of OL guys that have better combo of ht/wt/wingspan/film/smarts/athletic upside is fucking minuscule, and there are several 5 and high 4 star OTs that don't meet his standard in any one of those. 

kool aid morning GIF

759e3ad48e8be95efe36ca858c4225ef.gif

keira-knightley-when-harry-met-sally-org

keira-orgasm-3.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Bobby Burton: Wednesday

Amid all the hubbub about the possible cancelation of football season, the Horns have continued to practice. There is interesting and encouraging news on the freshman front. The DL duo of Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton are “cut from a different cloth”, according to a team source. Corners Jahdae Barron and Kitan Crawford both show promise. Barron is more polished while Crawford has shown that he is an elite level competitor.

Bijan Robinson also gets rave reviews. The coaches are anxious to see if it translates when true hitting begins and extra yards after contact become a focus. Of the receives, Troy Omeire is perhaps better and more ready than was thought prior to his arrival. But of all the freshman, I think the best news of all is the early signs that quarterback Hudson Card is showing. Texas went nearly a decade in a quarterback wasteland, the time between Colt McCoy and Sam Ehlinger.

While Card will not even be the back up to start the season - that will be Casey Thompson - he is absolutely good enough to be an eventual plus-starter for Texas. And by that, I mean eventually one of the top two or three QBs in the conference. We all know what Texas can look like without a real QB. Card is the one player in this class that guarantees Texas will not go back to that dark place.

I’m told Tarik Black will play early and often.

There was a point this spring where Willie Tyler was thought to be pushing for a starting spot at one of the guard spots. But he’s been joined by Isaiah Hookfin in that pursuit somewhat surprisingly. Hookfin’s surge is not totally unexpected. It’s just perhaps the timing of it is a year earlier than anticipated.

I’m told the blitzes and stunts from Chris Ash are simpler but focus more on scheming for and generating one-on-one matchups for players. It’s more of a prototypical NFL pass rush defense in that regard. The big guys up front have to get to the passer and win some one on ones because there won’t often be a safety 20 yards off the ball at the snap.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I’m told the blitzes and stunts from Chris Ash are simpler but focus more on scheming for and generating one-on-one matchups for players. It’s more of a prototypical NFL pass rush defense in that regard. The big guys up front have to get to the passer and win some one on ones because there won’t often be a safety 20 yards off the ball at the snap.

How can we safety blitz effectively if he's not at least 20 yards off the ball?  WTF?

Edited by Junior Bonner
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

So apparently ash will be plying cover zero all the time in the big 12?  Or making guys drop and then find their responsibilities?

I’m told the blitzes and stunts from Chris Ash are simpler but focus more on scheming for and generating one-on-one matchups for players. It’s more of a prototypical NFL pass rush defense in that regard.

Our 9.95 will continue to push true freshman qb's who need at least 2 years and a RS to play at the caliber of program we all want as fans. If Sam gets injured it'll be Casey and that is a good thing, he's a stud & only a RS So. 

The days of having to play True FR who are not true freaks or play positions that require development like OL, QB, TE, LB, Safety should be over. We finally have a team of men playing, now it's up to Tom's coaching.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

If Sam gets injured it'll be Casey and that is a good thing, he's a stud & only a RS So. 

The days of having to play True FR who are not true freaks or play positions that require development like OL, QB, TE, LB, Safety should be over.

Absolutely correct. 

24 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Ash likes to let his athletes beat their man because 90% of the time they are more talented. I knew I liked this guy.  He’s not going to overthink this bullshit with David Koresh blitzes...

Instinct and athleticism over scheme. Thats what this roster needs. Let our uber athletes be athletes

• Hook 'Em 1

Hayden's highlight clips really baffle me. Not for him, but because I can't tell for the life of me why Foster would be ranked so much higher than him. One shows a nasty streak, and a want to actually get off the ball and hit people, the other shows a classic "I'm fat so I can grab this guy and fling him" OL mold. How?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 8:41 PM, Bevo said:

Does Lengyel have a sister?

On 8/4/2020 at 10:00 PM, bEastTexas said:

If this doesn’t scream future LT then I don’t know what does...

On 8/8/2020 at 8:55 PM, texifornia said:

Talent-wise, very fungible (hi, IT!). Personality-wise, seemed very Team Jesus, which works better for the Baylor sell.

Ryan's sister went to TCU.

My son is in the same Troop with Ryan and is likely next in line to be Eagle Scout (humble brag).We attended Philmont and Sea Base with Ryan and his Dad. I kept my mouth shut as this process played out and it broke the right way. Ryan is a really good guy and he's a great fit at Baylor. He's not "Team Jesus" by any means. He's got a "take no shit" from no one edge about him. I think Baylor's a better fit for Ryan because he'll do well there as the bigger fish in a smaller pond. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1