Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

22 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This staff does a terrible job game-planning for specific opponents during the course of the week. IT has pointed this out ad nauseum

For 3 weeks? A staff that didn’t have a spring? I’m not saying it’s not still right because: Tom —  but this staff has been together for all of 3 games. 

Bowman will be back, Regis won't go to aggy. This is stupid. They're all excited when/if he chooses them, but forgets kids decommit all the time, and as soon as he sees how shitty their defense is ALL SEASON, Regis will come around. 

Bowman can take all the time he wants, he's still a longhorn at heart. If Tom tells him he can play wherever he wants he'll be back. I'm not even mad, tbh. We deserve this shit for losing to TC-FUCKING-U. And we should have lost to Tech. If, and this is a gigantic south Austin's mom pussy IF we get this turned around Billy will be back. 

Fuck, now I feel like Futureman regarding Waddle. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Interesting you’ve gathered that after only week 3 under this staff. Probably right, but it’s still an assumption.

It's not like I pulled it out of nowhere. Both Scipio Tex and Ian Boyd have said as much in their post-mortems of both the Texas Tech and TCU games. They also noticed it with the previous staff, which means Tom Herman has not addressed the problem at all with his new staff.

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

It's not like I pulled it out of nowhere. Both Scipio Tex and Ian Boyd have said as much in their post-mortems of both the Texas Tech and TCU games. They also noticed it with the previous staff, which means Tom Herman has not addressed the problem at all with his new staff.

Have you ever considered they're full of shit here and repeating coach speak cliches doesn't make them smart? I actually think they occasionally have good takes but this is just inaccurate.

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

I’m not buying the Urban rumor until I hear it from LotusHorn.

you shouldn't, Urban is smiling right now knowing he has the easiest job in the world, and can keep pouring lime juice in the cuts of this program on Fox every weekend.  Herman is who the boosters all wanted since they had no say when Charlie was hired. They got him and CDC isn't letting him go after a vote of confidence and the hiring of two coordinators.  And he especially isn't doing it right now during this pandemic.

I know it's frustrating and I get why people want to check out, but for fuck sake don't be rooting for losses.  We are lucky that we have been able to play the schedule so far this season. There's cancellations still going on, so enjoy this season even if it's a shit sandwich.  Here's hoping that UT can figure it for tomorrow's game. Fuck ou.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

you shouldn't, Urban is smiling right now knowing he has the easiest job in the world, and can keep pouring lime juice in the cuts of this program on Fox every weekend.  Herman is who the boosters all wanted since they had no say when Charlie was hired. They got him and CDC isn't letting him go after a vote of confidence and the hiring of two coordinators.  And he especially isn't doing it right now during this pandemic.

I know it's frustrating and I get why people want to check out, but for fuck sake don't be rooting for losses.  We are lucky that we have been able to play the schedule so far this season. There's cancellations still going on, so enjoy this season even if it's a shit sandwich.  Here's hoping that UT can figure it for tomorrow's game. Fuck ou.

at a certain point, being a TV analyst is the best job in the world. Jimmy Johnson couldn't have made this much money had he been coaching since 95. Romo is Scrooge McDuck'ing into a vault of money. Aikman didn't go back to the league and has been making a ton of money for years.

Meyer is in demand and can use the draw of "going back" to coaching to get increases for years into the future - the guy is only 56 for God's sake.

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

at a certain point, being a TV analyst is the best job in the world. Jimmy Johnson couldn't have made this much money had he been coaching since 95. Romo is Scrooge McDuck'ing into a vault of money. Aikman didn't go back to the league and has been making a ton of money for years.

Meyer is in demand and can use the draw of "going back" to coaching to get increases for years into the future - the guy is only 56 for God's sake.

well that and he may enjoy watching Tom twist in the wind by the fanbase.  Maybe if Day wins a title this season, and everyone crowns him and the team as the best bucks team this century..that will light a fire under Urban and pulls the trigger to Texas

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Fud said:

That guy is a real person, but he's frequently wrong 

Correct.

He goes back to the days of the old AAS boards when he originated the term living in an orange house.  I’ve known him for a long time & he does have some connections.  However, Fud is right about the accuracy.  He had me convinced that we were hiring Rick Majeurus when we got the other Rick.

Edited by cochamps
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Correct.

He goes back to the days of the old AAS boards when he originated the term living in an orange house.  I’ve known him for a long time & he does have some connections.  However, Fud is right about the accuracy.  He had me convinced that we were hiring Rick Majeurus when we got the other Rick.

He's worth listening to for baseball info though 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Bowman can take all the time he wants, he's still a longhorn at heart. If Tom tells him he can play wherever he wants he'll be back.

This right here.  The kid wants to play offense, and specifically have some type of RB role.  OU has been pushing him and selling him on a role that looks like what the NFL is doing with the RB/WR hybrid role.  Lincoln has been very pointed and specific on how he'd be used as an offensive weapon in their offense, and how that translates to the NFL.  Contrary to any reports, Herman has not offered him the chance to play on that side of the ball here...he is a defensive recruit, period.  Flat out, Herman got his ass whipped in recruiting on this one, which is very sad because Spider2YBanana is correct, the kid's heart is at Texas, his parents are HUGE UT fans, and his GF doesn't play the role in it that all of you wish she did.  At the end of the day, the kid is making a business decision based on an NFL future...and can you blame him?  An OU offensive player going to the league vs. one from UT, it's night and day really.  It's that simple.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, utexas8 said:

He scrubbed his Instagram of all Texas things.

Kid drops more balls than he catches and has never been able to stay healthy. He is on highest scoring O in country (as fucking stupid as it can be playcalling wise at stretches) so you would think he'd have ample opportunity

He had a key opportunity last week across the middle in space that if makes an easy, uncontested catch he scores (or at least goes for like 40-50yds) , yet instead he fucking dropped it.

I can see him though being pissed though when Herman leaves Brewer's sucktastic ass out on field in the slot, what gets old is just the incessant threats, he was threatening to go last year. If you want to leave, fucking pull the trigger.

This team is like a theater company with all the dramatics around it, kids punching coaches, quitting in middle of games, going in and out of portal blah blah blah. The more kids that bail the more likely Herman is to get fired so to a large degree I am on "Team transfer"

9 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I can see him though being pissed though when Herman leaves Brewer's sucktastic ass out on field in the slot

I know that it’s the current flavor to blame even the barometric pressure on Herman, perhaps point to the troubles in the Middle East, but Coleman and Boulware handle the WR/TE player rotations and Yurcich the game plan and packages so while Herman’s trade wars continue to impact our economy let’s be sure to blame the right idiot for the situation. 

Smith has lacked attention to detail his entire time here and given Coleman’s extreme focus on those details, this wouldn’t be a huge surprise. It would suck ass, but: 2020. 

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Red River Shootout, recruiting shootouts, 2021 d-line notes

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

We heard it was a good week of practice. When pressed further, what does a good week of practice mean: “It’s not like previous years where they are what they are, they’re improving each week. Last week they focused on tackling and that improved. This week the emphasis was on playing disciplined and doing your job. Play clean, you can’t have that many flags. Play clean and you win. Players were holding each other accountable. If someone screwed up there was no shortage of people correcting them.”

Player motivation: “I don’t see it as an issue. On Sunday they came together and put TCU behind them. The goal hasn’t changed, win the conference. They know this is a must win. OU always is but they can’t drop two and expect to win the conference. It was a focused, business-like week. Tuesday was one of the best practices of the season. They prepared well, there’s a sense of urgency for sure.”

Any personnel issues of note: ”Jordan Whittington and Roschon Johnson are available. When I say Whittington is available, he looks good, expect to see him. Roschon was limited this week. He’s so tough I can’t see him missing snaps on Saturday. Bijan got a lot of run with the 1s this week. Disregard who starts at tight end, Wiley will play a ton and Epps will see more time too.”

Fans always hope the UT offense has something unique for OU: “Other than a wrinkle or two that you have for each time, I wouldn’t say that’s accurate, but there is a progression taking place from week to week. Getting guys healthy at wide receiver helps. [Redacted redacted redacted......we’ll add a bit more closer to kick, maybe in the game thread].”

Thoughts on OU: “They’re clearly not the same OU but that doesn’t matter. They lost back to back games which means they’ll come out swinging. They’ll have great game plans. They’re very dangerous and they’ll be aggressive and test the secondary. The safeties better be on their toes as much as the corners. They don’t have Lamb but they have dangerous receivers and tight ends. Cover them close and play the ball.” How much time did Chris Ash spend with Jay Boulware this week: [laughing] “I bet they had some talks.”

Parting shots: “Play sound football, limit mistakes, don’t beat yourselves. Keep it simple on defense and aggressive on offense, play through the whistle with each guy giving his all each play and they’ll get the win.“

Cigar note: It’s Texas-OU week and fundraising looks more like a GoFundMe for a campaign to change the school’s colors. The donors we know say the well is dry until the program plays to its potential. Even a win this week is only a temporary fix. *whistles but in Glenn Frey from Beverly Hills Cop*

STATE OF RECRUITING

Let's be honest, losing Billy Bowman wasn't ideal. The Denton Ryan product apparently loves softball and offenses that don't lead the nation in scoring. Not explosive enough perhaps. The 2021 class loses a big piece, but maintaining the grip on Ja'Tavion Sanders, Bowman’s teammate and UT pledge, remains the priority. Other programs smell a hint of blood in the water in Austin, and only a win over Oklahoma on Saturday will keep the sharks at bay.

With Bowman de-committing, and the world seemingly caving in around UT fans after a close loss, the first concern is Sanders will follow suit. After catching up with those close him, it appears UT fans can relax about Sanders' chances of looking around.

Sanders wasn't and still isn't fond of the recruiting process, so when he committed to Texas last year, he told college coaches it was done. Now, that doesn't mean that recruiters aren't still in pursuit of one of the nation's most versatile talents, but Sanders might just be happy where he's at today. He might also want a shot to play offense. The elite defensive end is also an elite tight end prospect.

To put a bow on it, Sanders and Bowman aren’t linked and UT has some built in advantages with Sanders. Recruiting is weird and who knows what will happen with the season, but right now UT is in good standing with Sanders. Of note, ever since Drew Sanders flipped from OU to Alabama last cycle, there's a hint of animosity with Ryan staff and the Oklahoma staff. Expect Sanders to hear from more colleges, but the ball is in UT’s court.

Speaking of commits hearing from other schools...

JD Coffey, the Kennedale 2021 safety, is also hearing from other programs, notably Oregon. The Ducks were a top school before Coffey's pledge to the Horns, and they remain in his text messages. Cristobal is just sniffing around the house. And currently, Coffey is focused on winning tonight against Pine Tree and helping build this Texas class.

UT offered Keon Coleman, a 2021 four-star WR from Opelousas Catholic School (LA) on Thursday. He's your prototypical 6-foot-4, 200-pound outside receiver and recently de-committed from basketball-power Kansas. He holds 41 offers, including Auburn, Georgia, Miami, OU, and Penn State. In any other year, he's probably an LSU lean, but the lack of attention from the Tigers has Coleman looking out of state.

He says there aren't any schools that stand out today, which he admits gives Texas a fresh chance. He likes how UT utilizes its outside receivers, like Collin Johnson, and is eager to learn more from Andre Coleman. TCU and Malcolm Kelly offered this week too, and there's some initial attraction there, but without visits into the next year, the results on the field may tell most of the story. He's also a D1 level point guard on the hardwood, and could try both sports, if the opportunity presents itself.

La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis is set to decide Saturday. The feeling heading into Friday is that Texas A&M has surged due to the work of Terry Price, and that if the Aggies continue to have a committable offer today — they are trending to be the pick. Texas defensive tackles Coach Mark Hagen has done a solid job recruiting Regis, but he and Price have come at it from different angles. Hagen has worked the La Porte head coach and Regis and family members. Price hasn’t had much contact with the La Porte staff in recent weeks, but has remained in contact with Regis and family consistently.

One person close to Regis’ recruitment shared that he’s worried that there could be a head coaching change in the future among his two lead choices - Texas and Texas A&M. But Regis and people very close to him know that classes are filling up at his position, so he doesn’t necessarily have until December to make his decision. Regis isn’t one that sits on the couch on Saturdays and watches a lot of college football. His decision to announce around noon Saturday had nothing to do with the Texas-OU or Texas A&M-Florida games, but around a team meeting at La Porte High School in which he could announce in front of his teammates, coaches, and family.

Texas‘ early season defensive woes have slowed the momentum the Longhorns have been gaining with DeSoto’s Shemar Turner after the student visit this summer. According to a source close to Turner’s recruitment, Texas A&M is considered a solid leader with Alabama and Texas working from behind. Texas A&M defensive line coach Terry Price called said source last night while we were chatting.

Staying at DeSoto, Texas inquired about offering Byron Murphy on Thursday, but the word is that Murphy is still unlikely to make a flip away from Baylor at this point. At defensive end, Texas continues its pursuit of Notre Dame verbal David Abiara. Abiara is tough to get a read on for the programs recruiting him, but the communication has continued between Texas and Abiara and family. SMU is another that receives some communication from Abiara outside of Notre Dame and Texas.

Texas watched the second game of Sam Rayburn 6-foot-6, 225-pound defensive end Je’lin Samuels on Sunday, and the interest is legitimate and growing. With Houston and SMU offering to get the party started, that will likely push a Power 5 or two to jump in sooner because Houston is a legitimate option for Samuels due to growing up a big fan of Ed Oliver (Samuels transferred from Westfield). Texas DC Chris Ash, and DL coaches Oscar Giles and Mark Hagen have watched Samuels games on tape this season. Arizona State, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, and Purdue have also been in contact with the Sam Rayburn staff.

In the class of 2022, Texas has been working consistently on Summer Creek offensive tackle Kelvin Banks. The one-time Oklahoma State verbal had Texas at the top of his list heading into high school. Now, the Longhorns and LSU are at the top of the list according to a person close to Banks’ recruitment. Texas A&M is also right there in contention. Banks’ relationship with his future position coach continues to be mentioned as a key factor when it comes to decision making time.

Denton Ryan 2023 LB Anthony Hill has quickly become the best payer on the Ryan defense early this season according to members of the staff. He posted 24 tackles against Denton Guyer, and Guyer only ran around 55 offensive plays in the game. Hill has a lot of family from the state of Florida, so Florida and maybe FSU are expected to be in the race for the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder. Alabama, LSU, Texas and Oklahoma are also schools mentioned by Hill to those close to his recruitment early on.

From someone with good eyes and an up close and personal view of the Port Arthur Memorial/La Porte game on Thursday:

• Jordon Thomas (2021 Texas commit) solid but will need some time. Respect that he doesn’t take plays off. Great motor. Fantastic kid. Excellent, doesn’t say a word. Just plays the game. Very physical at POA. I think he cares and enjoys the game so I bet he makes himself better.

• Jaylon Guilbeau (2022 Texas commit) is the real deal. He’s physically also already ready for a college game. He’s jacked big time. But he plays awesome and physical too. I could see him as a nickel early in career. He’s a little cocky but I like that just like Jamison was in HS.

• Albert Regis from La Porte, he’s just not playing DL the way you play it at the next level. He stands straight up and plays like a LB at the LOS. Still good feet for a big man. Just needs technique and coaching. Good thing on Regis is he’s a very good young man and he also loves football. Hope he take to the coaching he gets and corrects how he plays at the HS level.

Gerry's suddenly Meh review on Regis confirms he's going to College Station, IMO.

That Humidor, and this isn't a shot at IT, is a big fat steaming pile of shit as it relates to the program. We're not in a good place, and we're going to continue to remain in a poor place. Just my opinion. Have a happy Friday, you fucking miserable fuckers with the misfortune of having the same UT addiction as me. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(Eric Nahlin) Humidor: Red River Shootout, recruiting shootouts, 2021 d-line notes

With Bowman de-committing, and the world seemingly caving in around UT fans after a close loss, the first concern is Sanders will follow suit. After catching up with those close him, it appears UT fans can relax about Sanders' chances of looking around.

I'd feel better if this wasn't exactly what they were saying about Bowman

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Gerry's suddenly Meh review on Regis confirms he's going to College Station, IMO.

That Humidor, and this isn't a shot at IT, is a big fat steaming pile of shit as it relates to the program. We're not in a good place, and we're going to continue to remain in a poor place. Just my opinion. Have a happy Friday, you fucking miserable fuckers with the misfortune of having the same UT addiction as me. 

crying kid GIF

7E39E31B-4EA4-4DC8-92E1-9D30B78B14CE.jpeg

Edited by RGBIII

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Over It Abandon Thread GIF

2 minutes ago, UhhhIdk said:

Why do we have a boring old bald white guy trying to recruit a position whose blue chips are primarily black? Shouldn’t be a surprise we have no shot at Turner or Regis. In what way can he connect with them

Hey now; Giles may be boring, old, bald, and unable to connect with recruits but he is certainly not yt 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

I know that it’s the current flavor to blame even the barometric pressure on Herman, perhaps point to the troubles in the Middle East, but Coleman and Boulware handle the WR/TE player rotations and Yurcich the game plan and packages so while Herman’s trade wars continue to impact our economy let’s be sure to blame the right idiot for the situation. 

Smith has lacked attention to detail his entire time here and given Coleman’s extreme focus on those details, this wouldn’t be a huge surprise. It would suck ass, but: 2020. 

If you think Herman isn't playing a role with personnel sets, the same way he has since he got here, and seeing that it's being reflected on the field in the same way since he got here, it's you with your head up your ass, golfclap. Yurcich is nothing more than his yes man. We just watched some of the same bad shit in the last two games that we've now been watching for the entire regime. I literally called the first two plays of the Turtle Tom drive on Saturday and anyone paying attention can guess with a fairly high amount of confidence about the likelihood of a limited set of plays at various downs, distances, and moments during the game. He learned from his mentor, Greg Davis, very effectively. 

So no, I won't blame world events on our own Hermiliation, but I will blame the fucking clown for trotting out the same bullshit behaviors, calls, and personnel choices for yet another year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If you think Herman isn't playing a role with personnel sets, the same way he has since he got here, and seeing that it's being reflected on the field in the same way since he got here, it's you with your head up your ass, golfclap. Yurcich is nothing more than his yes man. We just watched some of the same bad shit in the last two games that we've now been watching for the entire regime. I literally called the first two plays of the Turtle Tom drive on Saturday and anyone paying attention can guess with a fairly high amount of confidence about the likelihood of a limited set of plays at various downs, distances, and moments during the game. He learned from his mentor, Greg Davis, very effectively. 

So no, I won't blame world events on our own Hermiliation, but I will blame the fucking clown for trotting out the same bullshit behaviors, calls, and personnel choices for yet another year. 

I knew this information the first time I saw two wide receiver screens on the same drive. Fucking Mensa 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Our offense sucks and we aren't utilizing him properly? He's also been injured until the TCU game. 

Take a step back from the ledge. We definitely have problems, but we still lead the country in scoring. Two seasons ago we didn't accomplish a single play over 50 yards.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We wouldn’t have to hire Urban if the son of a bitch would just let the offense trot out there and let their nuts hang.  Why does he have to be such a tremendous cunt!?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait, you weren't convinced all is good with the "they had a spirited week of practice!" line of shit?