2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

Helluva way to go out for CC, taking most of the awards with him.  

I’m hopeful Crane comes at him with a higher year package but it sure doesn’t seem like that is in the cards.  

one of the rumors is him going to Toronto.  Man that would suck seeing him reunite with George as an Astros fan.  

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

If he’s going to leave the Astros but stay in the AL then the Blue Jays would be fun simply because it would widen the gap that the Yankees hilariously thought was merely closing. 

That’s true.  Anything to make the Yanks cry more is ok by me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2021 at 11:35 PM, UTexasFight said:

What about Portland? The only way they go to 32 is if it includes Portland.

also, they aren’t going to split up Astros and Rangers…and we aren’t both moving to the NL so get over any notion of that. 

AL West

Oakland, Anaheim, Seattle, Portland

AL North

Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota

AL East

Boston, New York, Baltimore, Toronto

AL South

Houston, Texas, Kansas City, Tampa (which will be dumb when they spend their summer in Montreal)

NL West

Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego Arizona

NL North

Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Colorado

NL East

New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

NL South

Atlanta, Miami, Cincinnati, Charlotte/Nashville

As long as whatever expansion/realignment that happens results in less west coast Astros games.  It’s ridiculous how many games they have that end after 11pm.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:35 AM, kevwun said:

Who are they willing to spend money on?  Can't sign this guy because he wants too many years.  Can't sign this guy because we have a guy in the minors at his position.  There's a nice logical argument against signing every impact free agent it seems.

Chill.  The offseason likely won’t start in earnest until the CBA is resolved.  Houston is negotiating with Correa and JV, both of whom want to stay in Houston (money being equal).  They are likely to resign Verlander for 2-3 years.  They are very unlikely to offer Correa the most money but their hope is that their bargain offer comes in close enough to make him think.  It is unlikely Correa resigns but it is not 0% chance.  Regardless, Crane has shown he will spend the max and they have $60M to spend; it’ll get spent and Houston will have a badass team next season with or without Correa.

On 11/10/2021 at 3:26 PM, kevwun said:

My problem with Click is that the Astros get a little worse every off-season.

Not true, especially if judging by end results.  They just went to the World Series!  The emergence of the young pitching (Garcia ROY candidate), the emergence of McCormick/Meyers, Tucker taking his game to an elite level…this team is not getting worse (yet).  Losing Correa is a blow but I predict by the end of this offseason their roster will project for 48+ fwar which would make it their best projected opening day roster ever.  Not to mention the farm will continue to improve after already taking a major step forward this year; they began the season with zero Top 100 prospects and when the new lists come out in the spring they will likely have 3-4 (Pena, Brown, Lee, Leon) with Pena being a top 50 guy.  They’ll also finally have a full complement of draft picks (with possible extra picks) and are projected to sign an extremely good/deep international class in January.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

If he’s going to leave the Astros but stay in the AL then the Blue Jays would be fun simply because it would widen the gap that the Yankees hilariously thought was merely closing. 

But Helobius told me they were gonna be the best and that the Astros window was closed now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nobody should root for correa to Fo to Toronto- that’s just setting up a monster team up there that we want nothing to do with. 
rooting should be for him back in Houston (duh) and then national league, Arlington, Detroit, a contender, in that order. 
unless National League is the Dodgers in which case fuck everything and prepare the cyanide capsules. 
Backe is awesome forever in my book for what he did in the post season. Backe is also a meathead and moron. He’s speaking my worst fears into existence. If the FO really does see this as a 5 year window then you don’t ever have to worry about paying Tucker and Alvarez- go all out- every trick in the book to be a monster- go to arbitration with all your guys every year and don’t extend anyone to give them a bigger number up front to get extra control. Give correa as many years as he wants, give JV 3 or 4 years, make this team as good as possible and deal with the aftermath when LMJ is up, when Tucker and Alvarez walk, and all our young pitchers are up. You can do the rebuild again. It will hurt a lot less and likely be quicker with a couple more pennants and another World Series. 
don’t get caught between where you sacrifice excellence now for a higher floor 5 years from now. 
If you are doing a tear down with Correa having 5 or 6 years left you can trade him if he’s still good for nothing, you can eat money and trade him if you want as you won’t be spending money elsewhere, or he can finish his career as the vet on a shitty team that fans appreciate watching like Biggio. 
I certainly didn’t mind Bidge being around in 08 when we ducked and getting to reflect on all the good times even if there were a coupon paint chip eaters that wanted to push him out before 3000 so we could go from 72 wins to 76 or “develop Chris Burke” or whatever other nonsense was in vogue by fuckstick cunt faced morons like Jose de Jesus Ortiz, who should be forced to suck off syphlitic dicks for the rest of his (hopefully) short and miserable life. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Bill Plaschke is a POS hack.  

Well, he’s been named National sportswriter of the year 8 times, so I guess not everyone thinks so (he’s a neighbor so I cut him more slack, although he does write some shit just to stir the turd, like this article).

7 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nobody should root for correa to Fo to Toronto- that’s just setting up a monster team up there that we want nothing to do with. 
rooting should be for him back in Houston (duh) and then national league, Arlington, Detroit, a contender, in that order. 
unless National League is the Dodgers in which case fuck everything and prepare the cyanide capsules. 
Backe is awesome forever in my book for what he did in the post season. Backe is also a meathead and moron. He’s speaking my worst fears into existence. If the FO really does see this as a 5 year window then you don’t ever have to worry about paying Tucker and Alvarez- go all out- every trick in the book to be a monster- go to arbitration with all your guys every year and don’t extend anyone to give them a bigger number up front to get extra control. Give correa as many years as he wants, give JV 3 or 4 years, make this team as good as possible and deal with the aftermath when LMJ is up, when Tucker and Alvarez walk, and all our young pitchers are up. You can do the rebuild again. It will hurt a lot less and likely be quicker with a couple more pennants and another World Series. 
don’t get caught between where you sacrifice excellence now for a higher floor 5 years from now. 
If you are doing a tear down with Correa having 5 or 6 years left you can trade him if he’s still good for nothing, you can eat money and trade him if you want as you won’t be spending money elsewhere, or he can finish his career as the vet on a shitty team that fans appreciate watching like Biggio. 
I certainly didn’t mind Bidge being around in 08 when we ducked and getting to reflect on all the good times even if there were a coupon paint chip eaters that wanted to push him out before 3000 so we could go from 72 wins to 76 or “develop Chris Burke” or whatever other nonsense was in vogue by fuckstick cunt faced morons like Jose de Jesus Ortiz, who should be forced to suck off syphlitic dicks for the rest of his (hopefully) short and miserable life. 

The FO doesn't see it as a five year window. They are trying to keep the window open (in theory, forever) by only agreeing to five year deals. That way, they never get saddled with bloated contracts for players who no longer have any on the field or trade value. That's their philosophy and they are not shy about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The FO doesn't see it as a five year window. They are trying to keep the window open (in theory, forever) by only agreeing to five year deals. That way, they never get saddled with bloated contracts for players who no longer have any on the field or trade value. That's their philosophy and they are not shy about it.

Yeah and everything comes to an end and it’s unlikely we will ever be this good again. 
I know the theory. I don’t like it. Unless you are really impressed with the last decade from the cardinals to come up with a team that’s tried to do the same. 

On 11/13/2021 at 7:41 AM, Wulaw Horn said:

i'm going to lend you one of my favorite books, "paragraph breaks and how to use them."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

A couple days late on this, and obviously "meeting with" is a long way from signing, but engaging with Marte is a decent early indicator that Crane plans to spend some money and we aren't gonna Tampa 2.0 this.

It’s the best news out of Astros camp in a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

market being set for mediocre starters. I wonder if this will affect JV to the Tigers

That deal is fairly close to expectations; I’m surprised it came with an opt out but otherwise very close to what was projected.  Surely it does take the Tigers out of the mix for JV.  

Should be a very busy week in mlb with QO decisions due, Rule 5 roster decisions due, and (apparently) free agents wanting to get deals done before a potential lockout.