2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Can't be good for it, though I imagine if you're a RH batter, your left shoulder is more important (pulling the bat forward). That said, I presume you still can't swing normally without both shoulders at full strength.

He also bats righty, but throws lefty...actually both he and McCormick surprisingly enough. 

For what it's worth (and not much) but a friend of mine played in a golf tourney with Brandon Backe this week.  Per Backe (yeah, I know), Carlos is gone, JV is gone, and they'll trade Alvarez in 2-3 years.  5 years is the team's window.  After 5 years, everyone is gone.

Grain of salt and all.

48 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

For what it's worth (and not much) but a friend of mine played in a golf tourney with Brandon Backe this week.  Per Backe (yeah, I know), Carlos is gone, JV is gone, and they'll trade Alvarez in 2-3 years.  5 years is the team's window.  After 5 years, everyone is gone.

Grain of salt and all.

Now I see why that guy wanted to fight him.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Grain of salt and all.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Correa pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this is one of several tweets schwab has made about keeping jv but not correa.  no idea what he knows, but here it is.

I know this kid. Used to be his YL leader when he was at Stratford HS. He worked as a videographer for Politco and got a blue check. I will say that he does host a podcast with his brothers and they had McCullers on it. He really doesn't have much inside information, so he is posting from a position of what anyone on this thread would say.

35 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I know this kid. Used to be his YL leader when he was at Stratford HS. He worked as a videographer for Politco and got a blue check. I will say that he does host a podcast with his brothers and they had McCullers on it. He really doesn't have much inside information, so he is posting from a position of what anyone on this thread would say.

wait, stratford?  hmmm, did i know his sister?  it's only been 25 years.

39 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

It’s going to be a long off-season. I don’t have a The Athletic subscription but I smh at the headline. If anyone wants to post, I’d like to read about it. 

Spoiler

CARLSBAD, Calif. — Major League Baseball on Wednesday made an updated proposal for baseball’s reserve system, including a revised approach to eliminating salary arbitration.

Overall, the proposal is similar to the one the league made in August, people with knowledge of the discussions said. Like August’s proposal, Wednesday’s would grant players free agency at the age of 29 1/2 and do away with arbitration. The most significant change between the two versions is how player salaries would be determined prior to free agency.

In the August proposal, MLB offered to use a predetermined sum of money that would be distributed to eligible players, those who had reached at least three years of service time. This time, MLB is offering to pay players based on performance, specifically on a calculation of wins above replacement, or WAR. There are multiple variants of WAR, but MLB proposed to rely on FanGraphs’ version, or fWAR. A player’s career WAR would be part of the calculation, weighted for recency. Whether a player has been in the majors for three-plus, four-plus, or five-plus years would affect the calculation.

Performance already greatly influences the current arbitration system, under which players who have reached three years in the majors can go to a hearing to fight for a higher salary than the team proposes. But the current system nonetheless allows flexibility and room for players to argue to a third party for better salaries.

Full details of Wednesday’s proposal were not immediately known, but the players’ union is unlikely to see the proposal in a much better light than August’s version. One player agent said the proposal has “zero chance.”

Albert Pujols has a better chance of leading the majors in stolen bases,” the agent said. “The central theme of professional sports from the labor side is the ability to negotiate your salary and make a case for what you’re worth. In arbitration, a panel decides. In free agency, the market decides. In this case an algorithm which is obviously flawed would decide. Plus, it would open up the floodgates for WAR manipulation on behalf of the clubs. Also, since when do we let websites have such a direct influence on player salary?”

Using fWAR would create its own biases. The metric likely would hurt relievers, as the market has always valued them higher, though on shorter deals, than fWAR suggests it should. Some strong defenders would be helped by the defensive component of fWAR, but the potential will exist for teams to game those numbers, which currently do not account for defensive opportunities in extreme shifts. Pitching fWAR, meanwhile, is mostly based on strikeouts, walks and homers, potentially hurting pitchers who thrive on soft contact.

MLB sees its proposal as, in part, a way to do away with the acrimony of the arbitration process — which can be uncomfortable for clubs and players alike — and as a way for younger players to be paid more, one of the union’s stated goals. However, the overall trade-off for players under the league’s proposal likely would be steep: Typically, the sport’s best players reach free agency prior to age 29 1/2, because they often arrive in the majors at a young age.

Agreeing to a system that keeps the best players under team control, and at a set scale of pay, for potentially a longer period of time than six years — the current time it takes to get free agency — could lessen those players’ earnings in the long run. And, if the top-earning players in the sport don’t have a way to grow their salaries, then other players’ salaries also might not grow over time.

What the league offered Wednesday was not what would be considered a comprehensive economics proposal. MLB didn’t newly address the competitive balance tax, or draft order, or revenue sharing between teams. It’s not uncommon for one bucket to be discussed separately from others.

The proposals made by both sides thus far seem to speak to a fundamental disagreement the sides have: MLB appears to see player pay as a question of distribution. To get players paid more when younger, the league is effectively proposing a trade-off elsewhere. But the union does not see the amount of money teams pay players today as necessarily fixed, and does not believe it necessarily must harm one set of player interests to benefit another. Of course, MLB will never be eager to allocate more of its revenues to players.

The union has made two full economics proposals, and has taken a different approach for getting players paid younger than the league is taking. Both union proposals have included a means of getting players to arbitration at two years, rather than three years; performance bonuses for players prior to arbitration; and a mechanism to get some players to free agency after five years, if they reach a certain age, among other things.

One additional factor the sides likely would have to contend with: eliminating salary arbitration might be a difficult sell for player agents. Guidance of the process is one of the services they offer, and are paid for.

The sport’s CBA expires at 11:59 p.m. ET on Dec. 1. An owner lockout would likely begin on Dec. 2 if no deal is reached.

The Athletic’s Eno Sarris contributed to this story.

Haven’t read it yet, but here’s the meat.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Grain of salt and all.

They're pretty up front about the five year thing. No one is getting more than that. 

18 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Grain of salt and all.

Altuve will be 36 years old.. Bregman 33.. So yeah..

21 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I wonder if Buxton would consider a 1-year prove-it contract…say at $15-20 mm or so? I can’t imagine too many teams are willing to give him a lot of years, but he’s still pretty young and if he actually can play 125 games he may get a multiyear deal next offseason. 

He's a free agent???

12 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

People are saying that he wasn't happy with Dusty and the way he handled the staff and that basically if Dusty stayed he wouldn't.  Guess that came to fruition.  Thanks Dusty.

I do not believe that at all. He had already reached that decision in September and had a meeting with Click to let him know his intentions to leave. Interestingly, iirc that meeting occurred right after the road trip to Arizona.

Just now, Scraps said:

Yeah i don't either. I think he genuinely wanted the guys under him to get the job and keep rolling.

But yeah most people don't think there are people out there who genuinely care about other people.

I definitely do until they suck. So if they want me to care they better not. I’m sure that alone will motivate them next season!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I mean what else is he gonna say.  Either way, it sucks.

Why wouldn't we believe him? They seemed to have a good relationship in the dugout and Dusty obviously put a lot of faith in Strom's judgment and input. I never got the feeling they weren't on the same page. 

25 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

It had something to do with the front office. It had to.

In the sense that he didn't have a contract beyond 2021 at the time that he sat down with Click after that Arizona road trip, probably so. He could've waited and had those discussions like Dusty did after the season and reached an agreement to return in 2022 but he made that decision to leave in September. Sucks losing him.