2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

53 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/predicting-where-top-25-mlb-150754024.html

CARLOS CORREA: TIGERS

Correa will be determined to get a record-setting contract, and if the Yankees are indeed out of the mix that could lead him to Detroit, where the Tigers are prepared to spend big to get one of the star shortstops. Correa probably would prefer to sign with a contender, but there may not be other teams willing to give him more than the $341 million the Mets gave Francisco Lindor. And the Tigers do seem to have a bright future with some very good young pitching.

Have fun never hitting another postseason HR again.

10 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/predicting-where-top-25-mlb-150754024.html

CARLOS CORREA: TIGERS

Correa will be determined to get a record-setting contract, and if the Yankees are indeed out of the mix that could lead him to Detroit, where the Tigers are prepared to spend big to get one of the star shortstops. Correa probably would prefer to sign with a contender, but there may not be other teams willing to give him more than the $341 million the Mets gave Francisco Lindor. And the Tigers do seem to have a bright future with some very good young pitching.

Let's talk about this article for a second. 

They have the Mets signing FOUR of these guys - all of whom are looking at pretty big paydays. He also has them re-signing BOTH Baez and Stroman. 

Here is their current payroll: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/new-york-mets-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

This doesn't seem very realistic unless the new luxury tax threshold is increased substantially. They have only 2 of these guys going to the Yankees who seem to have fewer big contracts (and arbitration-eligible players) and therefore more room to spend. 

Then you have the Astros with MUCH more money and room to play with getting....nobody? Not even mentioned as a bidder on ANY of these guys?

I have a hard time believing this. It reads more like fan fiction than serious baseball analysis.

Edit to add now the Giants might be big players. They have a lot of needs and money to burn: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SFG/san-francisco-giants-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

that said, they may be all-in on a rebuild with Posey's retirement.

anyway just spitballing here. not even sure if the stuff I linked is even accurate.

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They have the Mets signing FOUR of these guys - all of whom are looking at pretty big paydays. He also has them re-signing BOTH Baez and Stroman. 

Here is their current payroll: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYM/new-york-mets-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

This doesn't seem very realistic unless the new luxury tax threshold is increased substantially. They have only 2 of these guys going to the Yankees who seem to have fewer big contracts (and arbitration-eligible players) and therefore more room to spend. 

Then you have the Astros with MUCH more money and room to play with getting....nobody? Not even mentioned as a bidder on ANY of these guys?

I have a hard time believing this. It reads more like fan fiction than serious baseball analysis.

Edit to add now the Giants might be big players. They have a lot of needs and money to burn: https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SFG/san-francisco-giants-salaries-and-contracts.shtml

anyway just spitballing here. not even sure if the stuff I linked is even accurate.

Yep the predictions in that article are fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Oh, no, if he signs with Arlington it is full on sports hate for me. I'd rather he play for the Yankees.

That's just silly. Send him to Arlington and he's out of our hair forever basically.  Send him to the Yankees and he could end our season in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

in case anyone wants the cliff's notes on that article, here's the best i can do:

mets, mets, yankees, mets, baseball, mets, yankees, new york, free agent, mets.

how'd i do?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's just silly. Send him to Arlington and he's out of our hair forever basically.  Send him to the Yankees and he could end our season in the playoffs. 

all the way this.  signing in texas, miami, detroit, philly, stl has little effect on us.  that's all i care about.

There has been some talk this year of MLB expansion to get to 32 (4 x 4 team divisions per league). I haven’t seen anyone in the articles mention moving Houston back to the NL. Why should Nashville, Charlotte, or Portland get an NL slot while we are stuck in the AL West? I’d love to one day see a new NL Central of Houston, Cards, Cubs, and whoever (probably mandated to include Milwaukee, but would prefer Reds or Pirates). One article proposed Portland to AL West with Seattle, A’s, and Angels, then Astros and Rangers get moved to some new division in the AL. Sorry for the interruption with fan fiction. 

• Hook 'Em 3

JUSTIN VERLANDER: YANKEES
This is actually a gamble the Mets should consider taking, but they may feel the need to go for more certainty to fill their starting pitching needs, especially with Jacob deGrom coming back from injury. If Hal Steinbrenner is in go-for-it mode, meanwhile, Verlander could help put the Yankees over the top as he returns from Tommy John surgery. The two-time Cy Young winner was an important influence on Gerrit Cole when they were together in Houston, and that could be a good reason as well after Cole finished the season in a funk.

I'd wager he's a shell of the pitcher he once was at his age post surgery, so it makes sense for the Yankees.

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

There has been some talk this year of MLB expansion to get to 32 (4 x 4 team divisions per league). I haven’t seen anyone in the articles mention moving Houston back to the NL. Why should Nashville, Charlotte, or Portland get an NL slot while we are stuck in the AL West? I’d love to one day see a new NL Central of Houston, Cards, Cubs, and whoever (probably mandated to include Milwaukee, but would prefer Reds or Pirates). One article proposed Portland to AL West with Seattle, A’s, and Angels, then Astros and Rangers get moved to some new division in the AL. Sorry for the interruption with fan fiction. 

Milwaukee.  Same time zone.  Closer to Chicago. Makes most sense.  That would be tits. 

4 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I'd wager he's a shell of the pitcher he once was at his age post surgery, so it makes sense for the Yankees.

Why would you bet against him?  Tommy John isn't a tough injury to overcome- it just takes time.  He won the Cy Young the prior year.  yes he's old, and yes he will someday fall off a cliff, but that day isn't likely to be 2022 if he's still pumping them in there 95 or 96 mph throwing a bullpen session with no adrenaline.  And the dude knows how to pitch.  Absent him getting hurt again, and he's no more likely to get hurt than anyone else, and I'd argue less likely with his track record, there is no way he's less than an average pitcher next year, and average seems really unlikely.  

During the playoffs, Carlos acknowledged that he understood the impact of state and city income taxes. The Astros 5/$160 offer could be equivalent to $184 with NYY or Angels, or $168 in Detroit. Obviously Arlington, Miami, and Seattle have the same benefit, but I don’t see Miami getting in on it. If there were any truth to that 6 year/$210 rumor, that is equivalent to $241 in NY or CA. 

24 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Why would you bet against him?  Tommy John isn't a tough injury to overcome- it just takes time.  He won the Cy Young the prior year.  yes he's old, and yes he will someday fall off a cliff, but that day isn't likely to be 2022 if he's still pumping them in there 95 or 96 mph throwing a bullpen session with no adrenaline.  And the dude knows how to pitch.  Absent him getting hurt again, and he's no more likely to get hurt than anyone else, and I'd argue less likely with his track record, there is no way he's less than an average pitcher next year, and average seems really unlikely.  

Biggest issue with him is limiting his innings so he doesn't run out of steam before the playoffs start.  Just because he can throw 6 or 7 innings in most starts doesn't mean he should anymore.  He needs to get pulled early when possible or skipped in the rotation from time to time to keep his innings down.  As long as his fastball sits at 94-95 with the occasional extra heat on a high fastball when he needs to miss a bat, he is still going to be a very good pitcher.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Biggest issue with him is limiting his innings so he doesn't run out of steam before the playoffs start.  Just because he can throw 6 or 7 innings in most starts doesn't mean he should anymore.  As long as his fastball sits at 94-95 with the occasional extra heat on a high fastball when he needs to miss a bat, he is still going to be a very good pitcher.

Yep. And really you can say this about 99% of all pitchers (the limiting innings to keep gas in the tank for October). It’s a long and cruel season on the body. 

35 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Same, I'd love to go back to the NL.  During the WS, somewhere I heard something about the history of the Braves and how they had won 1 WS each in Boston, Milwaukee, and Atlanta.  They also mentioned that the Braves were in Milwaukee from 1953-1965.  I hadn't realized that's all it was.  13 seasons and yet Selig pointed to Milwaukee's history with the Braves as a reason it was really a NL town and used that as justification to usurp our spot.  13 fucking years vs 51 for the Astros just thrown away.  f selig, f uncle drayton, and f crane forever for that bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 3

I don't give a shit what league or division we are in, but I would like to see us play in fucking Wrigley sometime in my lifetime now that I am a grown ass man and can go up there.  We are getting hosed on that deal.  

2013 @ Wrigley

2016 played them at home

2019....one would think oh we get to go back to Wrigley.....nope played them at home

2022 - if we fucking play them at home I am going to piss on all my Bill Murray DVDs...yes I have DVDs somewhere still 

15 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I don't give a shit what league or division we are in, but I would like to see us play in fucking Wrigley sometime in my lifetime now that I am a grown ass man and can go up there.  We are getting hosed on that deal.  

2013 @ Wrigley

2016 played them at home

2019....one would think oh we get to go back to Wrigley.....nope played them at home

2022 - if we fucking play them at home I am going to piss on all my Bill Murray DVDs...yes I have DVDs somewhere still 

2023?  We play the East + Arizona in 22.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

2013 @ Wrigley

2016 played them at home

2023 we’ll probably play them in Milwaukee based on Selig’s traditions.  

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Rage+1 1

Wtf ? MLB should make the owner sell the team, that fan base deserves better :

The A’s are planning to slash their payroll to a major-league low $50 million for the 2022 season, two MLB executives told USA TODAY Sports, but Forst said Monday that the budget has yet to be determined by owner John Fisher.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The A’s are planning to slash their payroll to a major-league low $50 million for the 2022 season, two MLB executives told USA TODAY Sports, but Forst said Monday that the budget has yet to be determined by owner John Fisher.

There is a proposal out there to institute a payroll floor of $100m. The problem is the owners also want to decrease the luxury tax level to $180m and increase the penalties of going over. Guess what?  The amount of dollars that payrolls are above $180m is significantly higher than the amount of dollars that would be needed to be spent to bring team’s payrolls up to $100m. So the owners, as a whole, would be saving a lot of money. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

but people keep telling me we'll have trouble winning the division next year.  wonder what anaheim and seattle have up their sleeves.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

but people keep telling me we'll have trouble winning the division next year.  wonder what anaheim and seattle have up their sleeves.

If Anaheim stays healthy and can learn the value of league average pitching they will be a tough out. Seattle, Oakland and Texas will suck donkey dick. 

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If Anaheim stays healthy and can learn the value of league average pitching they will be a tough out. Seattle, Oakland and Texas will suck donkey dick. 

Seattle is going to be a big buyer this off-season. I’ve seen estimates that they could add $80m-$90m in annual payroll 

9 hours ago, 66BUFF said:

Kick the Rockies to the AL if they go to 32

NL West

Dodgers, Padres, Phoenix, SF

AL West

Rockies, Seattle, Oakland, Anaheim

What about Portland? The only way they go to 32 is if it includes Portland.

also, they aren’t going to split up Astros and Rangers…and we aren’t both moving to the NL so get over any notion of that. 

AL West

Oakland, Anaheim, Seattle, Portland

AL North

Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota

AL East

Boston, New York, Baltimore, Toronto

AL South

Houston, Texas, Kansas City, Tampa (which will be dumb when they spend their summer in Montreal)

NL West

Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego Arizona

NL North

Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Colorado

NL East

New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh

NL South

Atlanta, Miami, Cincinnati, Charlotte/Nashville