The new retail model?

markstanco

This is the 2nd time I’ve seen this. At Home Depot (tonight) and the other at lowes a few months ago.

Looking for a new portable work bench for my garage. I narrowed it down to this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-61-in-11-Drawer-1-Door-22-in-D-Mobile-Workbench-with-Sliding-Pegboard-Back-Wall-in-Red-Black-48-22-8561/304094257

It fits my needs. I go by HD to see it and at the store it is $998. Same deal for an add on drill at lowes a while back. It was cheaper online with in store pickup.

I am guessing this is their answer to Amazon, but I feel bad for the unsuspecting that won’t Google pricing. That’s nearly 20% higher.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

I am guessing this is their answer to Amazon, but I feel bad for the unsuspecting that won’t Google pricing. That’s nearly 20% higher.

Probably yes and no. I would assume you get more efficiency with online shopping so contribution margins do not have to cover real estate and overhead associated with a retail stores. And they probably assume a decent % of savvy customers will shop in their stores and just buy online, so for all intents and purposes the retail stores become a sort of catalog showroom for some items that do not require same-day usage.

Take it up a notch - I read about Target (I believe) whose app will actually update pricing using geo-targeting, so if a customer is in a defined radius of a Target retail store, he'll get "retail" pricing comparable to the retail store price vs. the true online price. So practically, check the price away from the store, take a screen shot, and then re-price while you're in the store and see if it changed.

31 minutes ago, TTU13 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they just didn’t update the pricing on the sign in store and when you take it to the register it would ring up at the online price.

Maybe. Either way they'd 100% price match if you showed them the online price. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Of course. But if you didn’t show them that, but TF over.

Sure. I honestly don't think it's a bad strategy. If you aren't comparing prices or price checking then I'm not going to feel bad if you get nickel and dimed a bit. Some people just don't care or have a ton of money or expense it for business anyway. 

Sure. I honestly don't think it's a bad strategy. If you aren't comparing prices or price checking then I'm not going to feel bad if you get nickel and dimed a bit. Some people just don't care or have a ton of money or expense it for business anyway. 

Kinda my point on the title and you are correct. It’s the 7-11 vs wal mart for milk approach. Except they are one step ahead because everybody thinks big box is cheaper than the local hardware store, which they typically are retail-wise. But there is another Amazon layer to peel back for better pricing.

Hell I am going to get that thing delivered to my house and save nearly 20% vs going to the store and loading it in my truck.

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Kinda my point on the title and you are correct. It’s the 7-11 vs wal mart for milk approach. Except they are one step ahead because everybody thinks big box is cheaper than the local hardware store, which they typically are retail-wise. But there is another Amazon layer to peel back for better pricing.

Hell I am going to get that thing delivered to my house and save nearly 20% vs going to the store and loading it in my truck.

Another aspect to consider is that some people still enjoy retail shopping. Especially at a place like Home Depot. 

Dad wanting to get out of the house for a few odds and ends? He couldn't give a shit less whether he's spending $65 or $80. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ONE YARD said:

I read an article a year or so about this as well apparently they were caught making the online pricing higher If you were using the instore WiFi 

I actually had this happen at Best Buy a few times (a while back) - what the employee was seeing on the in-store register was different than what I was seeing on my phone (using cell service).

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I actually had this happen at Best Buy a few times (a while back) - what the employee was seeing on the in-store register was different than what I was seeing on my phone (using cell service).

A brief trip planning search a few years ago leads me to believe that South American airlines pioneered this practice several years ago.  Go to the Spanish language site, the flight was $40.  Go to the English site it was tree fiddy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Another aspect to consider is that some people still enjoy retail shopping. Especially at a place like Home Depot. 

Dad wanting to get out of the house for a few odds and ends? He couldn't give a shit less whether he's spending $65 or $80. 

“Oh hey honey I’ll be back in an hour or two. Gotta go get a really specific type of wingnut from the HD in Dripping Springs.  No way around it!”

I don't go in a big box store without Amazon price checking shit on my phone. That said fuck them both just in case. I do pickup for larger Home Depot things on the reg and haven't noticed a difference there...

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

One thing I have def noticed Walmart doing is a terrific job gaming any obscure item Google result. It won't be in stock, ever (I'm talking obscure motorcycle parts showing up on a Walmart site), but there will be a Walmart page for it.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Rage+1 1

A brief trip planning search a few years ago leads me to believe that South American airlines pioneered this practice several years ago.  Go to the Spanish language site, the flight was $40.  Go to the English site it was tree fiddy.

For most foreign airlines, tickets are cheaper in their local currency. So, it pays to use a VPN and their native language site. Just walk through the buying steps in the English version first to map your way through if you can’t fumble your way through the foreign site without a cheat sheet.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh I’m in that boat getting a garden hose or a few bags of mulch as well on a Saturday morning . Shit I’m not waiting on Amazon to ship. I’m pointing out bigger purchases.

14 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

I read an article a year or so about this as well apparently they were caught making the online pricing higher If you were using the instore WiFi 

Never heard about this related to HD or Lowe’s, thought it was just Best Buy.

Edited by Murfdogg21

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

For most foreign airlines, tickets are cheaper in their local currency. So, it pays to use a VPN and their native language site. Just walk through the buying steps in the English version first to map your way through if you can’t fumble your way through the foreign site without a cheat sheet.

Domestic airlines too. You likely will find a different price if you were to login from the UK for JFK-LHR. It will depend on a particular flight, but airline pricing has a lot of complexity behind its revenue management systems.

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Never heard about this related to HD or Lowe’s, thought it was just Best Buy.

A lot of stores have different online vs in store pricing.  My wife does a lot of coupon stuff and pricing at Target/Walgreen's/CVS can be different based on if you are at home on wifi/cellular, in the store on cellular, in store on wifi or the displayed retail price.  Pricing based on geo-location is a real thing.  

Similar but different..

I need a new disposal. I am shopping for the exact model that is currently under the sink. Badger 900 3/4 hp.

Both Lowes and HD have the model that does not come with a power cord or sink stopper for $169 in store for pick up today.

However, both Lowes and Home Depot both sell the same exact model that can be delivered in store, or straight to your house for free in a few days, that either includes the power cord or includes the sink stopper, for $153. So $18 less for the same disposal that includes a stopper or a cord.

I guess this is just to get the contractors, or the people (like me) that just want to get my project over with and move on, and aren't going to slow down and wait over $18.

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Similar but different..

I need a new disposal. I am shopping for the exact model that is currently under the sink. Badger 900 3/4 hp.

Both Lowes and HD have the model that does not come with a power cord or sink stopper for $169 in store for pick up today.

However, both Lowes and Home Depot both sell the same exact model that can be delivered in store, or straight to your house for free in a few days, that either includes the power cord or includes the sink stopper, for $153. So $18 less for the same disposal that includes a stopper or a cord.

I guess this is just to get the contractors, or the people (like me) that just want to get my project over with and move on, and aren't going to slow down and wait over $18.

Yep, and it saves them money by not deploying that inventory all over the country where it might not be needed. You can have it quick or you can have it cheap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I was thinking about doing something like that, but I ended up building a tall workbench on 4in casters and mounted my vice and bench grinder. The table height on the Milwaukee bench sucks for me when I'm doing stand up work. I mainly use it when tinkering with parts and various small mechanical breakdowns (sitting).

Any idea if Milwaukee does the mount back plate as an adder? I bought a smaller one to fit between some existing stuff and was going to install a pegboard on the wall but like the idea of it being mounted to the bench to hide wood and other large objects behind it.

On mine, the peg board is on hidden track assembly that's integral/riveted to the main body. There are a couple of angle brackets that you install on the bench when it's raised to secure in place. Not sure if they sell this assembly separately. I installed a couple of Rubbermaid FastTrack shelves above the peg board (high enough not to bump my head) and store my lumber on that. I'd take a picture, but my garage is embarrassingly messy at the moment

On 11/4/2021 at 3:51 PM, Orange&White said:

Math major?

On 11/8/2021 at 7:07 PM, markstanco said:

I ended up doing store pickup with a trailer. It was already assembled. Said they had 3 in stock and all 3 were assembled. So I knew I wouldnt get it in a box.

3da36328a7c037e154df5a9a4c90256b.jpg

I am still angry they increased the size of the red diamonds to account for AR15 idiots. 

On 11/3/2021 at 10:52 PM, GringoSalado said:

One thing I have def noticed Walmart doing is a terrific job gaming any obscure item Google result. It won't be in stock, ever (I'm talking obscure motorcycle parts showing up on a Walmart site), but there will be a Walmart page for it.

Yep.  Ran into this problem doing some birthday and Christmas shopping recently.  Looking for some semi-obscure toys for my kids, and Walmart had pages for them, but not in stock and mostly never was.

I'm guessing it's tied into their third-party marketplace or whatever.

On a side note, Amazon has been sending out catalogs (toys, fashion, etc.).  Thought it was weird that we were headed back to getting catalogs in the mail.

Just went to Best Buy to buy a new washer/dryer for our upstairs got there and was checking out when I told them to deal I found online.  They said they couldn’t get it to pull up so they wouldn’t honor it.  I figured it must have expired, but when I got home the deal reappeared so I’m assuming it’s this bullshit geotagging shit. Fucking stupid.

36 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Just went to Best Buy to buy a new washer/dryer for our upstairs got there and was checking out when I told them to deal I found online.  They said they couldn’t get it to pull up so they wouldn’t honor it.  I figured it must have expired, but when I got home the deal reappeared so I’m assuming it’s this bullshit geotagging shit. Fucking stupid.

Why should they honor an online price in the store, though? Serious question. I can see managers reasonably arguing that the online price is for online sales only, and that items on the shelf are pricier to the cost of keeping them in a brick and mortar store. As someone said earlier, get it cheap or get it today. 

Now when it comes to prices changing based on geotagging, that's all kinds of bullshit and should not be tolerated. 

Continuing on with the Sears catalog, the 1937 one was cool as shit.

The women in this thing....are all dead.  As are any kids they probably had.

page0079.jpg

page0078.jpg

And I don't know what's going in with these costumes, but they have an honest-to-God "Dapper Dan" there on the top row.  And F (on Dapper Dan's left) is Broncho Bill, and he's wearing a "Gay plaid cotton flannel shirt"... Okay, gonna have to take their word for it, since it's not in color, but I might add that he appears to be rocking some brass knuckles, which from my understanding, were probably perfectly legal for little kids to wield back then.  And Two Gun Pete, on Dapper Dan's right, is wearing a "Gay bandana" so I guess the 1930s were an interesting time.

page0037.jpg

finally, I don't know what the fuck a 31-inch television rifle is, but damned if I'm not going to hit up the Google looking for information on it, because that sounds fucking far out.

page0036.jpg

3 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Why should they honor an online price in the store, though? Serious question. I can see managers reasonably arguing that the online price is for online sales only, and that items on the shelf are pricier to the cost of keeping them in a brick and mortar store. As someone said earlier, get it cheap or get it today. 

Now when it comes to prices changing based on geotagging, that's all kinds of bullshit and should not be tolerated. 

I’ve never had an issue getting the online price matched, unless the deal specifically says “online only” or something to that affect.

If it’s for something sizable I shop online/compare and then go to the store to make that purchase when possible.  Having worked in retail in/just after college I know that getting a guy off the street spending $1k+ is going to help them with their goals and hopefully get them a commission.  The local store and associate will make money and I can typically get better information on the delivery/install versus buy direct online and using the online or phone support.  Plus in the worst case the item is damaged or broken I can call the store directly and have them help me fix the issue.  They’ll get the pickup/reorder and often they’ll expedite it too making the process far easier on me in the grand scheme of things.

Why is it allowed?  Its mostly to price match their competitors, but it would be hypocritical of them to match Home Depot’s online deal and not match their own.