If this team hasn't quit.

naija

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He could have, and should have, done that this year.  And he didn’t.   Instead we got puff pieces about how good the staff felt about Christian Jones at LT and how they thought Card had Aaron Rodgers potential.  

funny how so many here are saying this but thought we were a 2 loss team. lol

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And in the meeting rooms.

We hired a shitty coach. It happens. Apparently way too frequently at Texas. 

If you hire a shitty coach once in a while, it happens. If every coach you hire is shitty, it's not the coaches who are shitty, it's you. If it takes a generationally amazing coach to be successful at a school, that school is also a problem.

The worst part about it is that there are no slam dunk hires out there anymore. We shouldn't want Urban Meyer at this point. Maybe Jeff Traylor is what the program needs, but they care too much about flaunting their new toy and the "we're texas, look who we just hired" nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I truly wonder how easy it is to figure out your roster sucks.  You're coming from Alabama, so you're expecting a significant step down in talent, and you see that.  Maybe a bit shockingly so.  But it's the shit-ass Big XII after all.

But then they scrimmage against each other (shit vs. shit) and maybe they start to look serviceable.  And you need to use your new coach momentum to actually recruit to fill roster spots for the future.

Sarkisian would not only have had to hit the portal hard, he probably would have had to "excuse" quite a number of players to make room on the roster.  I'm not sure any coach really wants to start off that way.

But if he fails to do so this offseason, I agree that it's inexcusable.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah Alex Grinch, the guy we rolled 40+ points on with our shitty players 2 years in a row.

If you have a criteria for an amazing coach that no one fits, then your criteria sucks. Saban/Golding gave up 41 points to aggy, whoa they must suck now too. Even though some at bama want Golding out as well.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not interested in recruiting rankings, which are driven by skill position players. I’m interested in having 30 new players next year, in some fashion, and have half of them be linemen on each side of the ball. We need 8-9 new starters next year.  I would trade that in a heartbeat for having Casey/Card continue to start next year. And that will not get you a top 10 recruiting ranking, which is a farce. 

What makes you say this? #1 ranked recruit in country is often a DE, or a DT in the case of Walter Nolan (fuck you A&M). Always a few 5 star olineman as well.

9 minutes ago, Atticus said:

If you hire a shitty coach once in a while, it happens. If every coach you hire is shitty, it's not the coaches who are shitty, it's you. If it takes a generationally amazing coach to be successful at a school, that school is also a problem.

The worst part about it is that there are no slam dunk hires out there anymore. We shouldn't want Urban Meyer at this point. Maybe Jeff Traylor is what the program needs, but they care too much about flaunting their new toy and the "we're texas, look who we just hired" nonsense.

Yeah, a pretty good case can be made for Traylor in terms of "just winning."  But his big time experience is lacking, and, ultimately, he's just another flavor of the month.  Still pretty speculative.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

What makes you say this? #1 ranked recruit in country is often a DE, or a DT in the case of Walter Nolan (fuck you A&M). Always a few 5 star olineman as well.

The top recruits we typically get are either DBs or WRs and lately we've had a few QBs. Our highest signed OL is only on the team in name at this point. He used to have a picture on the website with a smile, and now they updated it to one with a scowl (not kidding)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well, for one thing, the #1 ranked recruit is one dude.  We need more than one dude.  They're also hard to get and divert resources from more likely candidates.  And, linemen tend to be hard to evaluate and fairly frequent busts.  We need to find some guys that have shown they can play at the college level better than what we've got.  We need some decent linemen.  They don't have to be all-world.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

The top 4-8 teams always stockpile the true raw talent.  Everyone else fights for top- to mid- level 4 stars with the occasional 5 star mixed in.

I think the 9.95 crowd does its best to over-hype our players.  And when our decent 4 stars receive over-inflated rankings, they don't have the talent

or mindset to back it up.  Then when faced with adversity, they turtle up.

This isn't unique to Texas.  All the blue-blood programs with passionate fan-bases who pay for subscriptions to web sites get bumps in the recruiting rankings if the 'real' rankings would make their fans sufficiently upset, which leads to their fan bases having unrealistic expectations.  Notre Dame and Michigan are two teams that have been getting inflated recruiting rankings for decades, and you can see the slow, insidious spread of the poison through their fans over time.  I don't follow Texas closely enough to have an opinion, but the Longhorns fit the profile, so I wouldn't be surprised.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

If you have a criteria for an amazing coach that no one fits, then your criteria sucks. Saban/Golding gave up 41 points to aggy, whoa they must suck now too. Even though some at bama want Golding out as well.

Saban runs that program.  it has nothing to do with Golding(as unfortunately we see for ourselves now)

Riley overcomes Grinch all the time with his offense(as we see for ourselves again).  Unfortunately Sark isn't even close to Riley.  

my criteria, by the way, is competent, because I've completely lowered my expectations, and I can't even get that.  This coaching staff is Charlie Strong disaster level at this point.

remember when Sark said after OU he'd like to get another crack at them...yeah about that.

2 minutes ago, BuckeyeInSeattle said:

This isn't unique to Texas.  All the blue-blood programs with passionate fan-bases who pay for subscriptions to web sites get bumps in the recruiting rankings if the 'real' rankings would make their fans sufficiently upset, which leads to their fan bases having unrealistic expectations.  Notre Dame and Michigan are two teams that have been getting inflated recruiting rankings for decades, and you can see the slow, insidious spread of the poison through their fans over time.  I don't follow Texas closely enough to have an opinion, but the Longhorns fit the profile, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Another couple of good examples of teams that get highly ranked classes and pffft, much like us.  They get stomped by the all-five-star-all-the-time teams, and routinely lose to teams with "lesser talent."

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Well, I guess the school is going to continue to be a problem for football, because the University of Texas is not about to change.

Not saying the “no one could win with these players” people are wrong, but if that is true, then why did almost everyone on this site expect this team to win 8+ games and at least compete for a conference championship?  

I don’t remember anyone in the off-season saying Sark would be doing well to simply become bowl eligible with this roster.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Starfleet Command said:

Not saying the “no one could win with these players” people are wrong, but if that is true, then why did almost everyone on this site expect this team to win 8+ games and at least compete for a conference championship?  

I don’t remember anyone in the off-season saying Sark would be doing well to simply become bowl eligible with this roster.  

Hope springs eternal.

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

because we're idiots and we are tired of seeing this team suck. We over estimated Card and didn't value Sam's contributions enough, even while he was here. I actually thought he held the team back. I had hope the defense would be okay even though many of the guys getting burned last year couldn't possibly be that much better than the guys we have in there now. Add improvement from Collins, Bijan, and maybe Overshown, and koolaid is flowing. 

I actually didn't even watch the game, went to Ren Fest instead. Not much left to see this year. Play some younger guys and see who else shows some bite.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Loather said:

Yea, first for me. I hate this team. I am pretty sure that Bijan was crying when he left the field. I am sure it's just the frustration of playing with entitled pussies while you battle with everything you got. Simply the most pathetic thing I have seen in sports.

He and Rojo especially was fired up. No fight from anyone else but Rojo. Fucking pathetic ass pussies 

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

My expectations were 7-5 cause first year and whatnot. But I wasn’t expecting everything to be this catastrophic. And we seem to do absolutely nothing about fixing it. Every time we shuffle up the o line, it gets a little worse. For some insane reason, we’re not using roschon or the other Robinson anywhere near enough. How the fuck is there not a passing play in the roschon wildcat deal? Good Christ the dude threw for like 350+ yards a game in high school I was totally expecting him to throw a pass against ou. But nope. Not a single fucking carry. Casey went from a bigger Case McCoy to whatever the fuck that was. I know that pick 6 against okie state and that other interception against baylor both came in the 2nd quarter, but that bull shit lost us both games. Both were 14 point swings. What the fuck. Don’t get me started on this weak ass fucking garbage ass defense. Good fuck

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 2

He and Rojo especially was fired up. No fight from anyone else but Rojo. Fucking pathetic ass pussies 

I can’t believe I am saying this but I really wished they had signed with somewhere else other than Texas, just for the fact that they deserve so much better. They are great dudes and I love them to death but what they give and what they receive is not equal. I see them as the heart and soul of this team. Especially Rojo. He’s done whatever he’s asked to do and this is how he’s rewarded??? By playing with quitters??
  • Like 2

Sark was one of the most innovative play callers in CFB and producing some of the best offenses in CFB history at Alabama. Now at Texas there's a massive regression. Yes, he had Alabama talent but it tells you what type of talent he's dealing with at Texas when there's this much of a drop off. You don't go from the top playcaller in CFB to an offense like this unless there are serious talent issues. Flood was producing elite OL at Alabama and hell his OL at Rutgers were much better than this. It should be obvious at this point this roster is god awful. Flood has tried a billion combinations but it doesn't matter....these guys suck. 

The sad thing is the defense doesn't even have anyone as talented as Worthy or Bijan. This roster is completely talent deficient outside of 2 or maybe 3 players. I know there are 4 and 5 stars on the roster but who on this roster sniffs a career in the NFL? Worthy and Bijan? 

I have no clue if Sark is the answer but it's become obvious this roster is complete dog shit. My biggest gripe with Sark was not realizing this earlier and hitting the transfer market harder in the offseason. It's much tougher to do in football than basketball but this roster is in need of a complete rebuild like Beard just did with the basketball team. 

People don't want to say it but this roster is about what Mack left Strong. That's where we are at. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Mudcat35 said:

I would support taking the Longhorn decal off their helmets and make them earn it back.  What a bunch of softies.  I would say “pussies”, but I have too much respect for pussy.

No.  That's a gimmick.  Take the helmets off the players.  Open tryouts.  Bring on a couple of walk-ons, start freshmen and whoever is on the scout team.  Rest Bijan and Overshown (if they aren't already forced to rest after today).  Hell - start some math majors - they will at least have better angles.  Then either raid the portal or start looking for another coach.  At this point 50-50 odds of this mess being the players or the coach are better than the win-loss record anyway.  Flip a coin and act.

Like I said during the week this program ahas the stink of a loser culture inside of it and has ever since Colt McCoy left. No real player leadership, especially at QB. No real talent at QB. A lot of guys seeming content to just play football at Texas and no real strive for greatness. 

Was reading about Wake Forest's program. Was named the worst P5 job in the game 6 years ago by ESPN. Coach there starts slowly building off 3 stars no one else wants. Slowly roots out the loser culture and gets guys seasoned to expect to win. They were now 8-0 until dropping a 58-55 or so game to UNC today. With players no one else wanted. 

Yeah the talent looks bad here but that's because the talent is covered in loser culture stink. Sark has to get that culture changed first inside the program or his ceiling will be Herman. 

10 minutes ago, dec3169 said:

No.  That's a gimmick.  Take the helmets off the players.  Open tryouts.  Bring on a couple of walk-ons, start freshmen and whoever is on the scout team.  Rest Bijan and Overshown (if they aren't already forced to rest after today).  Hell - start some math majors - they will at least have better angles.  Then either raid the portal or start looking for another coach.  At this point 50-50 odds of this mess being the players or the coach are better than the win-loss record anyway.  Flip a coin and act.

The University paid approx $40 million just to make Herman go away and bring in Sark then gave him a guaranteed deal for several years. He's not going anywhere until 2024. Best to just tell him to do whatever it takes to get this culture turned around. Whoever he needs get them here. Take full advantage of the portal and NIL

52 minutes ago, mrhorn said:

I can’t believe I am saying this but I really wished they had signed with somewhere else other than Texas, just for the fact that they deserve so much better. They are great dudes and I love them to death but what they give and what they receive is not equal. I see them as the heart and soul of this team. Especially Rojo. He’s done whatever he’s asked to do and this is how he’s rewarded??? By playing with quitters??

I totally get where you're coming from, and it's definitely out of frustration, and hell yeah they deserve better. Guys like Rojo, Bijan, and a select few others bust their asses and for what? Sark and Co to fail them. I'm glad they're here, but I understand your logic in wanting better for them.

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

It’s interesting that they didn’t lie to all Those other teams with good recruiting. Just us. Or maybe we don’t have a clue how to coach

It would be more interesting to see which schools had serious interest in those players...I am no longer a true recruiting junkie, but years ago, when we were one of those 5-10 teams truly skimming the cream off the top of every class, we were beating out the elite teams of the day. Now I see some 4-star that has everyone enchubbened and his offer list is Cal, Tech, SMU, TCU and us. Not Bama, blowU, Ohio St and Clemson. Because when they want those players, they get those players. 

2 hours ago, Atticus said:

A million times this...I really wish we could have gotten one or both of Urban / Saban in here to watch the mobs turn on them when they didn't have the spares Mack and Herman left behind playing like 2001 Miami in year one. 

Strong had a reputation as a guy who'd lose one WTF game a year but was a great talent evaluator who certainly coached up those players well enough to get them in the league.

Herman had pretty much the same reputation re: losing games he shouldn't and absolutely no track record as an evaluator nor as a coacher-upper of players. He was believed to be a QB whisperer with an innovative mind for offense, and over four years, the best who could come up with was a QB as battering ram offense. Ehlinger's passing technique and reads never showed much improvement.

34 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

People don't want to say it but this roster is about what Mack left Strong. That's where we are at. 

It's even worse. Mack left Strong a handful of good to really good players on D -- Hassan Ridgeway and Malcom Brown, a consensus All-American, both of whom are enjoying long NFL careers. Jordan Hicks. Quandre Diggs and Mykelle Thompson, whom Strong turned from fifth-year bust into solid contributor and fringe NFL guy. That D finished 31st in the country and third in conference.

But Strong had all those guys except Ridgeway for only one year, and Mack left absolutely squat in the pipeline after that. I think for two years running were the greenest team in FBS, what amounted to a very talented JV squad. JV squads can't compete against varsity, and Charlie was fired, but he left behind a fair number of contributors, especially on D. 

But this shit Herman left behind might be the worst any Texas coach has left behind him since Ed Price or some shit. Akers and McWilliams were pretty terrible. Both Royal Mackovic left behind total hauls, but this shit....wow. I really didn't think it would be possible to leave behind less than Mack, but Herman did it. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

But this shit Herman left behind might be the worst any Texas coach has left behind him since Ed Price or some shit. Akers and McWilliams were pretty terrible. Both Royal Mackovic left behind total hauls, but this shit....wow. I really didn't think it would be possible to leave behind less than Mack, but Herman did it. 

Yeah, this is the worst roster I've seen at Texas. 

It's talent deficient at every position other than RB. People can keep bringing up all the 4 and 5 star players in comparison to teams like Iowa State but they're more talented if you watch them play. It's fairly obvious. You can watch teams and say "they suck but there's talent"...... I don't see any talent outside of a couple guys on this team. Guys with raw talent can make plays even with shitty coaching but there's none of that on this team. 

Somehow we've just done an absolutely terrible job of talent evaluation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Usually, I guess you blame the coach for losing a team or having a team that quits.

Is it possible that the team is actually so bitchassed that it isn't a reflection on the coach?

It's a reflection of the coaching staff... the staff that recruited and "developed" them.

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, ONE YARD said:

This.  We are regressing.  That’s the biggest possible sign of bad coaching. 

how the hell are some of you people defending the coaches?!

OK but i've watched these same coaches perform well at other places. Why do you think it is that they show such great competence elsewhere, then fail so hard when they come to this place?

You have coaches who have shown you they can coach before. That's why you hired them. Meanwhile you have this group of players where literally nobody ever flashes any real potential, ever, but it's all on the coaches? I mean i know it starts at the top but god damn these dude are so fuckimg worthless it fucking hurts to watch. Schooler and Brockermeyer are fucking scrubs. Absolute duds who would not even dress out for any D1 team anywhere else, much less be starters. We don't have a starting caliber QB. Our second best receiver can't fucking catch. Don't even get me started on the unathletic brigade of OL we're currently trotting out.

Also just think about the message being sent by constantly firing coaches. If you come here and struggle even a little bit, even in year 1, were gonna get all frothy at the mouth and wanna fire you? Like we actually deserve to have such high expectations after being a fucking loser ass laughing stock for the last decade? Honestly some of yall needed this reality check to show you where this program stands.

It's as if simply being up 28-7 against OU was enough for this team. After that they have shown nothing but regression.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, BuckeyeInSeattle said:

It’s not just that. Sometimes they just bump the star-rating of a player based solely on who’s recruiting them. He must be better than we thought he is if they’re recruiting him. And here’s something more insidious. I recently heard reporting that there are some coaches who will contact the recruiting services and ask them to raise the star-rating of a player. I’d never heard that before. That’s crazy. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

42 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Also just think about the message being sent by constantly firing coaches. If you come here and struggle even a little bit, even in year 1, were gonna get all frothy at the mouth and wanna fire you?

Yeah this troubles me.  

We're only a message board full of surly assholes.  I assume that "professionals" like CDC are a little more patient and attuned to what's really going on.

But, I am also relatively certain that this board reflects what some powerful BMD are thinking and I don't know to what degree they are able to actually "turn up the heat."

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

right, because it is the coaching.  I can't for the life of me understand why people on this board can't see it.  the HC has a history of winning approx. 7 games a year.  Is that because he's a good coach?

But that was d-d-d-different. That was when he was drinking

Looks like he may need to start drinking again...like the rest of us. 

The players gave up in the 3rd quarter.  They are weak.  I hope all of them outside of Worthy and Bijan transfer.  Clean fucking house.

And fire the special teams coach or who ever the fuck it is that is fucking that stupid bitch with the monkey.  We don't need any more added embarrassment, we do enough of that on our own. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1