Texas is Hopeless….

Nueces River Rat

9 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I think in general the State of Texas is soft.  Great economy, plenty of $$, jobs..the pool of workers is limitless.  You drive around north Texas and the state bird should be the crane, there is so much development.  Kids in general in Texas grow up soft. Everywhere you turn, there is a new shop, building, school...shit is all new and shiny pretty much in every city in Texas.

Now juxtapose that with surrounding states and the Southeast (our new partners) in general, where I live now, after having lived in TX 15 years.  The south is not shiny, new or flourishing economically.  Sure there are pockets, but mostly its lower middle class, lower socioeconomic areas that are feeding kids to schools that have programs with less resources than us, but better culture and better overall programs. The culture at Texas is gentrified, we wanted it that way, remember "we are the Joneses" and the "we are Texas" b/s?  NOONE says that in other parts of the country about themselves. The culture at UT is that we are better than everyone and by proxy, we don't have to grind, like other places.  

I graduated from High School in 1990 meaning I did most of my growing up in the late 70s and 80s where I can remember things.    The State of Texas basically offered four sports in High School where you were able to get a scholarship offer from a college.   The main one by far was football.   From there you had track, basketball and baseball.    Now… you have soccer, swimming, fricken Lacrosse in the Surly 1% ISD’s, and water polo…. On top of this the era of year around sports , in particular baseball has thinned the ranks of kids who might be good at football who have given it up for a marketing ploy given to them by select league coaches  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Stop giving this program money.  That’s all they care about.  The south end zone looks cool but it fucking sucks bc it’s fucking empty every game.  This school doesn’t understand how to run a college football program and how to create a fun environment.

Disagree, SEZ doesn't even look cool, it looks like a mismatched gimmicky piece of shit, that's empty all the time.  It's the perfect metaphor for our shitty, empty program.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

We need to recruit players whose only option is going pro. If their goal is to be an accountant, engineer, social worker, etc. Hard pass. Recruit those kids who don’t have a backup plan to the NFL and whose hobby is pain.

Just like SMU used to do back in the days when they were cheating. They didn’t want kids who could play division one football, they wanted kids who could play at the NFL level. And who only cared about going to the NFL. Back in those days you didn’t have to academically qualify to go play there. Maybe Texas should try it.

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

So I shut it off in the 4th. But I’m reading the make a wish kid in Kansas caught the 2 point.  The kid who played cello for the local church and never saw football was able to suit you for one game as his last wish and caught the winning catch snapping a streak dating back to W bush.  

fuck this entire organization 

What’s the big deal about that kid never playing offense before most of the Texas team hasn’t played any football since they moved to campus.  

• Haha 1

This might be a stretch, but with the type of students getting admitted now, I think interest among alumni is going to diminish with every passing year.  When that happens, money dries up and so does the program.  We're on our way to being Cal and Stanford if we're not there yet.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Here's something to ponder.

If ou wins out, the biggest argument for them to be left out of the playoff will be that they barely beat an abysmal 4-8 Texas team.  Their win against us is actually worse than their loss to a pretty good Baylor team.

Burn the whole thing to the ground.

there are only 2 fbs teams that were unranked heading in to the weekend with 1 loss

i predict houston will be ranked tomorrow, but louisiana will not

This might be a stretch, but with the type of students getting admitted now, I think interest among alumni is going to diminish with every passing year.  When that happens, money dries up and so does the program.  We're on our way to being Cal and Stanford if we're not there yet.

UC-Austin

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

I think in general the State of Texas is soft.  Great economy, plenty of $$, jobs..the pool of workers is limitless.  You drive around north Texas and the state bird should be the crane, there is so much development.  Kids in general in Texas grow up soft. Everywhere you turn, there is a new shop, building, school...shit is all new and shiny pretty much in every city in Texas.

Now juxtapose that with surrounding states and the Southeast (our new partners) in general, where I live now, after having lived in TX 15 years.  The south is not shiny, new or flourishing economically.  Sure there are pockets, but mostly its lower middle class, lower socioeconomic areas that are feeding kids to schools that have programs with less resources than us, but better culture and better overall programs. The culture at Texas is gentrified, we wanted it that way, remember "we are the Joneses" and the "we are Texas" b/s?  NOONE says that in other parts of the country about themselves. The culture at UT is that we are better than everyone and by proxy, we don't have to grind, like other places.  

Full disclosure: I haven't lived in Texas in over a decade, so I can't really offer an informed opinion on the current state of affairs there.  You might well be correct about the soft part.

But stop and think for a moment about how many states in the SEC have just one or two credible football programs in the whole state.

Louisiana?  Only one - LSU.

Arkansas?  Only one - Arky.

Kentucky?  Only one - Kentucky.

Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee?  Two each, although some of those states only have one school in the SEC.

I think only Florida is perhaps in a similar boat as we are, although I would argue that the rise of UCF and USF hasn't hurt UF all that much yet.

Contrast that with Texas, where there are at least a half a dozen quality (okay, I'm using that term loosely when it comes to some, including ours) football programs: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, maybe even UH.  Plus we lose some of the top talent to out of state schools like OU, and lately - schools like Alabama, Ole Miss, and Clemson.  We have almost a half a dozen programs fighting for the leftovers in the state.  And Texas hasn't been relevant in over a decade.  I don't realistically see how you can convince a prospect to choose us over say Baylor right now, and it really fucking pains me to write that.  Hopefully the move to the SEC will help, but only time will tell.

Edited by orangebird
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

I am not worried about the move to SEC. We play to the level of our competition. It's the funk or the curse that we need to overcome.

Yeah we'll do well with our SEC brethern Tennessee, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt. Sadly, we'll only get to play most of them every 3-4 years and instead get LSU, aggy, OU, Ole Miss, MSU, Bama, Arkansas and Auburn every year. That's a recipe for success!

Edited by mdmost

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I graduated from High School in 1990 meaning I did most of my growing up in the late 70s and 80s where I can remember things.    The State of Texas basically offered four sports in High School where you were able to get a scholarship offer from a college.   The main one by far was football.   From there you had track, basketball and baseball.    Now… you have soccer, swimming, fricken Lacrosse in the Surly 1% ISD’s, and water polo…. On top of this the era of year around sports , in particular baseball has thinned the ranks of kids who might be good at football who have given it up for a marketing ploy given to them by select league coaches  

That isn't a Texas specific issue. In fact it's much more of an issue in other states. 

1 hour ago, Assman said:

Those schools are doing just fine.

And maybe that's the point. Football isn't the priority of the University of Texas at Austin.

This. It’s why the message board community is 90% 40+. The majority of students today are in school to play school.

Yeah we'll do well with our SEC brethern Tennessee, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt. Sadly, we'll only get to play most of them every 3-4 years and instead get LSU, aggy, OU, Ole Miss, MSU, Bama, Arkansas and Auburn every year. That's a recipe for success!

Those teams won't be circling Texas on their calendar as their Superbowl (well, maybe aggy).

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

fans GIF

Tell that to Baylor who just kicked Oklahoma's teeth down the back of their throat. 

Or UTSA. Or UH. Or SMU.

But yeah - the problem is the state. 

None of those schools have run the table or are top 10 consistently and they all are loaded with Texas kids, you made my point.  Texas HS kids are effing soft as a pillow.  Prove me wrong?  No Texas college team has sniffed the top 10 consistently since the Southlake Carrolls of the world with their 7 on 7 type culture became en vogue.  We have no linemen depth in this state when the top 20 or so kids  all go their separate ways and get paired with maulers from the midwest, north and southeast.  I go back to demographics; lay the obesity map over the country, then lay the NFL lineman drafted next to it, they all come from the SE US and Texas is just not producing en masse the type of kids that will make UT good again.  Until we get a salesman ala Jimbo (and i cant stand his personality) to run our program (Mack was a salesman), we are a 500 club in SEC , at best.   Case in point, Jimbo just went and got the #1 DL in the nation.  What state is he from? TN.  Sark has to go outside the state if we are going to win big again.  Too many softies in TX on the lines, we used to call them 'leaners', guys that are just big and that it, not enough athletes being producer here for the size state we have.

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Those schools are doing just fine.

And maybe that's the point. Football Winning isn't the priority of the University of Texas at Austin.

That's not to say every other place prioritizes winning over money its just that every other place has to win to make money, we fall ass backwards into it. We don't need to win to make money so we don't invest the money needed to win.

• Hook 'Em 1

Disagree, SEZ doesn't even look cool, it looks like a mismatched gimmicky piece of shit, that's empty all the time.  It's the perfect metaphor for our shitty, empty program.

Seriously... If they wanted to do something then why not close it off like a continuous horseshoe. If there wasn't enough seat demand for that then leave it the fuck alone and spend the money elsewhere. It was a stupid concept from the start and a reflection of our dipshit decision makers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, orangebird said:

Full disclosure: I haven't lived in Texas in over a decade, so I can't really offer an informed opinion on the current state of affairs there.  You might well be correct about the soft part.

But stop and think for a moment about how many states in the SEC have just one or two credible football programs in the whole state.

Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee?  Two each, although some of those states only have one school in the SEC.

I think only Florida is perhaps in a similar boat as we are, although I would argue that the rise of UCF and USF hasn't hurt UF all that much yet.

Contrast that with Texas, where there are at least a half a dozen quality (okay, I'm using that term loosely when it comes to some, including ours) football programs: Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, maybe even UH.  Plus we lose some of the top talent to out of state schools like OU, and lately - schools like Alabama, Ole Miss, and Clemson.  We have almost a half a dozen programs fighting for the leftovers in the state.  And Texas hasn't been relevant in over a decade.  I don't realistically see how you can convince a prospect to choose us over say Baylor right now, and it really fucking pains me to write that.  Hopefully the move to the SEC will help, but only time will tell.

Yeah I agree, Im afraid Kirk was right with his toxic comment a few years ago, its just too easy for a kid to say im not dealing with a program that is underachieving , not many want to be part of a rebuild, they want instant gratification and with all the bad press, karma and bs associated with no NFL talent, no guys getting drafted etc..we're fucked

2 hours ago, orangebird said:

This is absolutely why we need to go to the SEC to hurt the up starts like the Baylors and TCU's...Leave them in a hopefully irrelevant conference so their recruiting and possibly ability to hire decent coaching staffs suffers.  The only thing we and OU have done in the Big 12 is help make these other schools relevant while UT suffers as a result getting their best shot every time we play them...

In the NIL era, we really had no choice but to make the SEC move to stay relevant...The only other conference that would make any sense is the BIG..

Edited by Azbadlands
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

They got that thing so horribly wrong.  Two years of consultants and focus groups to design that thing and sell it out.  And they literally got it half wrong.  They missed so many marks on it, it's actually sad because of how those resources could have been better used to actually effect change.  

What’s wrong with it other than it looking empty? Genuinely want to know

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

I especially loved the play late in the game where Brockermeyer came flying up the middle on a blitz and was tackled by the KU center. He got up and was arguing for a holding call as the KU QB flipped it to a receiver, who then ran the ball in for a TD. It was not a good look. At all.

I'm no Brock apologist, but your take on that play is wrong imo.  Watch the replay, he was chop blocked, he was picked up in the whole an OL, just as the right guard went low on him, two guys engaing him simulatneously, I believe he was complaining to the ref about a chop block. I rewound the play and it looked like an illegal chop block to me.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

Akers also had as many conference championships as Mack Brown did.  In about half the time.   As did John Mackovic.  

We don't care about hardware here anymore, and haven't for a long time.  It's about money and class.  That's fine.  But we can have even more money if we quit throwing $10-$15mm a year at coaching staffs that can get the same result as a bunch of blue-collar guys working for mid six-figures with huge bonus/incentive packages for actually winning stuff.  We can get the exact same results we're getting now for 30-40 cents on the dollar.  Pocket the rest of that and spend it whiskey and whores.

Mike Price is tanned rested and ready.

3 hours ago, Assman said:

I completely agree.  Everyone knows who the brains are in HS.  Let's say we are recruiting c- kid who is a 5 star and the only person in his school who is going to Texas is the Sum Laude kid, you think that stud LB wants to play school at Texas where its hard as shit academically,  or go to Ole Miss where the kids that are in his classes and fucked off are going. No effing way these below average acedemic kids are going to pick UT when the only kids going to ATX are the stuck up BMW driving A+ kids.  That stud LB is going to a school that academically he knows he can get by until the draft. 

Im not saying its right, im just saying I agree we have entered a new era where we will look a lot more like Stanford, UCLA and NW than tOSU, Clemson or Bama.  I think to a degree FL may be entering that phase too.  FL is getting hard as shit to get into

Edited by jdhorn92

1 hour ago, jdhorn92 said:

Sark has to go outside the state if we are going to win big again.  Too many softies in TX on the lines, we used to call them 'leaners', guys that are just big and that it, not enough athletes being producer here for the size state we have.

If nil was weaponized, we wouldn't have to worry about going out of state

We're gonna become Berkley on the Colorado if this keeps up.  I think when the players get here on campus they become very influenced by the creeping snowflake culture of the Uni and Austin in general.  I understand this now exists in just about every college town but you won't see it at this level in places like Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, Fayetteville, Norman, etc.  This showed last year when some players wouldn't stay for the Eyes of Texas.  We'd be better off taking 2 and 3 star recruits who are going to work their asses off and understand that it's a privilege to wear the jersey and be on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

If nil was weaponized, we wouldn't have to worry about going out of state

You can only weaponize NIL if you’re winning.  Ask immamac about how much money is being raised/going to be raised while you fight KU to stay out of last place.

And the worries of UT ending up NW/Stanford are legit.  I know a dozen plus family members/friends who recently graduated or are attending UT and their favorite team is someone else.  They’re there for school.  

UT on a diploma is becoming an even bigger deal - that’s great but it also means your football team is going to be average to below average most years.  

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

This. It’s why the message board community is 90% 40+. The majority of students today are in school to play school.

…and to get inflated grades for worthless majors. We used to taunt the SMU students with jeers like “Pay your fee! Get your C!” Now, thanks to USNWR, most schools are afraid to flunk more than 5% of their students because graduation rates are so important. Gotdam clouds piss me off almost as much as those kids who won’t get off my lawn. 

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomChairman said:

Seriously... If they wanted to do something then why not close it off like a continuous horseshoe. If there wasn't enough seat demand for that then leave it the fuck alone and spend the money elsewhere. It was a stupid concept from the start and a reflection of our dipshit decision makers

Anyone who voted to approve this eye sore should be banned from the spectator sports industry for life.

Take poll of any person who has ever attended a college football game or even seen one on TV and ask them which is better…

BC844D44-8E21-4F78-A591-D8B8D4DC62C7.jpeg

9A147EB8-C074-4F64-AB05-56895CAB206A.jpeg

Bernard

Edited by Bernard
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

That's not to say every other place prioritizes winning over money its just that every other place has to win to make money, we fall ass backwards into it. We don't need to win to make money so we don't invest the money needed to win.

So what you're saying is, this is all our fault?

Whoa.

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

Anyone who voted to approve this eye sore should be banned from the spectator sports industry for life.

Take poll of any person who has ever attended a college football game or even seen one on TV and ask them which is better…

Bernard

I tried to get on board, but I couldn’t quite convince myself. It’s good to see that others share my opinion.

Like I said in the It’s Happening thread, if we have to live with this gimmick, provide free drinks to the donors who prefer camping out in the lounge in exchange for them giving up their seats to students, band, and other ordinary fans who will use the seats. Those donors are watching TV screens, anyway. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bernard said:

Bernard

Also, if duplicating the NEZ creates too many seats, they could’ve stopped it at the level of first wall and built the luxury accommodations and Jumbotron straight up from there.

No one asked me.