The Happytime Murders - Puppets, Brian Henson (son of Jim), Sex, Violence.

atomheartbevo

I would say the writers/staff saw the Showtime series "Twisted Puppet Theater" from the '90s (FACT: PUPPETS SHIT COTTON!).

But Jim Henson originally targeted adult humor with a lot of his muppet/puppet stuff.

I am surprised this is being done through the Henson company(s), since they do plenty of kids' programming for PBS.

And they have a very strong case
Agreed. If all Sesame Street is looking for is disassociation from the movie, just drop the Sesame Street line, issue a statement, and he done with it. But somebody thinks their dick is bigger than it really is, so they'll dig in and spend a bunch of unnecessary money on attorneys.

Apparently, Sesame Street rights are owned by a non-profit entity apart from the Henson "organization."  There's a notion in trademark law that the First Amendment, like fair use in copyright law, permits parodic uses of trademarks.  This is probably going to test that.

From a straight-up trademark perspective. there is probably likelihood of confusion as to the "source" of the film.  That makes it initially a strong case.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:09 AM, Tom said:

This looks like it should be hilarious, but I don't get why Melissa McCarthy is now the go-to for every comedic female cop role.

Because she's really big at the moment.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, RPM said:

I'm in the fucking FBI!

Oh yeah? What does that stand for... Fucking Big Idiot?

Are you quoting this because it's so funny, or because it's so terrible?

I heard that line during the trailer and immediately punched out. Whatever happened to good writing?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I heard that line during the trailer and immediately punched out. Whatever happened to good writing?

Yeah, I cringed at that one too.

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow. A little surprised they won so quickly. 

And Streisand Effect is probably in effect. 

I assume that SS went for a TRO or preliminary injunction, which the judge denied.  I haven't seen the order/opinion, but the quoted language seems a tad simplistic.  It isn't over, technically, further proceedings and a trial are possible, as is an appeal of the order.  Practically, it's probably over.

34 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Its funny because its puppets!! Don't you get it??

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

42 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Its funny because its puppets!! Don't you get it??

este

11 hours ago, TornACL said:

This might not be your bag, little slugger. Might want to sit this one out.  

• 2 months later...
On 5/31/2018 at 1:56 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I assume that SS went for a TRO or preliminary injunction, which the judge denied.  I haven't seen the order/opinion, but the quoted language seems a tad simplistic.  It isn't over, technically, further proceedings and a trial are possible, as is an appeal of the order.  Practically, it's probably over.

Am I the only one who saw this quote in that article?  And yeah, I know I am a few months late.

In a statement to TheWrap on Wednesday, STX’s representative in the matter, Fred, Esq. — who, we will remind readers, is a puppet — said that the company is “obviously very pleased” with the ruling.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best thing I can say about this movie is how short it was. I thought it was a decent concept and plot, but it tried way too hard to just be "look how smutty and vulgar these puppets you loved as a child are" and the jokes fell flat.  I don't think I smirked once.