Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

I also live in Bryan-College Station.  Chip is a UT grad and used to push the envelope when he was much younger and that was hardly beneficial to his career.  Chip does have Kirk Bohls on his radio show once a week to talk about UT athletics and the BIG XII.  In this market, that is ballsy.

There is not enough money in the world to make me shill for those hayseeds.

• Replies 72.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

I also live in Bryan-College Station.  Chip is a UT grad and used to push the envelope when he was much younger and that was hardly beneficial to his career.  Chip does have Kirk Bohls on his radio show once a week to talk about UT athletics and the BIG XII.  In this market, that is ballsy.

So he is sort of like their Chad Hastings.

2 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

I like Chip, he doesn't take himself seriously at all, talked to him a few times, seemed like a nice enough guy. Having Bohls on once a week talking bad about Texas isn't ballsy though.

So we’re on vacation at the beach and my wife gets us tickets to see Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen.  I knew nothing about these guys other than one had the most WTF marriage in world history.   They get on stage and start talking about how they met at Texas A&M and goddam if there were not 500 people that started whooping like it was bonfire.  Oh god here we go.  Mrs CW and I were like oh FFS.  Then I shit you not Lyle Lovett started talking about being a goat farmer and his family knowing a lot about sheep.  He was being serious but holy shit it was all I could do to keep from embarrassing my wife with inappropriate laughter.  I will say that Lovett is an extremely talented musician to hear live.  His friend is kind of just a guy trying to be Texas Jimmy Buffet though.  

So we’re on vacation at the beach and my wife gets us tickets to see Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen.  I knew nothing about these guys other than one had the most WTF marriage in world history.   They get on stage and start talking about how they met at Texas A&M and goddam if there were not 500 people that started whooping like it was bonfire.  Oh god here we go.  Mrs CW and I were like oh FFS.  Then I shit you not Lyle Lovett started talking about being a goat farmer and his family knowing a lot about sheep.  He was being serious but holy shit it was all I could do to keep from embarrassing my wife with inappropriate laughter.  I will say that Lovett is an extremely talented musician to hear live.  His friend is kind of just a guy trying to be Texas Jimmy Buffet though.  

Uh, yeah, gonna have to disagree with you there. They’re both insanely good. How do you know next-to-nothing about either one?
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Uh, yeah, gonna have to disagree with you there. They’re both insanely good. How do you know next-to-nothing about either one?

hes probably not familiar with a lot of things, like Floores country store, Gruene Hall, backyard, luckenbach, cactus cafe, Kerrville, or Nashville.  Granted, they are both aggy but I place them in the "didn't know any better but ended up a great musician anyways" category.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

hes probably not familiar with a lot of things, like Floores country store, Gruene Hall, backyard, luckenbach, cactus cafe, Kerrville, or Nashville.  Granted, they are both aggy but I place them in the "didn't know any better but ended up a great musician anyways" category.  

Or Charlie Robison.  Shame whats happened to him.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

You serious Clark?

• Like 1

I used to really like REK until I read an article somewhere about him playing at the cactus cafe and he said something along the lines of, “I don’t mind playing here just as long as I’m taking money from Texas alumni” or something of that nature. Can’t find the article now. 

14 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Yup. Claims it was because he’s just a fan of football, but he seemed to be nitpicking both teams and giving A&M staff things to trash Texas to recruits.

I could see that happening.  It's not like they can sell the Taxslayer Bowl as a better destination for recruits against a NY6 bowl.

56 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Yup. Claims it was because he’s just a fan of football, but he seemed to be nitpicking both teams and giving A&M staff things to trash Texas to recruits.

Obsession of the highest level. I’m a huge fan of college football, and you couldn’t pay me to go to an aggy game. And that’s coming from a guy who’s wife is aggy. She’s expressed on several occasions that she’d like to go to an aggy game in the new stadium, and my response every time has been “cool, pick a weekend that works and have fun... I’ll hold down the fort.” I have zero desire to put in any kind of effort to go watch aggy play, regardless of opponent, even if they played right down the road from us in Jerryworld and the tickets were free. 

6 hours ago, Colt45 said:

I used to really like REK until I read an article somewhere about him playing at the cactus cafe and he said something along the lines of, “I don’t mind playing here just as long as I’m taking money from Texas alumni” or something of that nature. Can’t find the article now. 

Meh.  So now you don't like him?  He's just being a smart ass. Hell, I like taking money from Texas Exes.  And aggy, land thieves, you name it.  

• Haha 1

Enjoy REK.

Don’t get Lovett on any level. There’s a through-line of pussy-assness that makes his music unenjoyable to me. Throwing in enchiladas, corn tortillas and “fittin ta get down on some good ‘ol grits and gravy” (which I saw him and his band chant repeatedly at a live show... douchechills to the utmost) just seems like clumsy pandering.

I can’t. I’ve tried. I’m sorry.

29 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

I believe REK has also publicly said that the best thing about College Station “is that it’s only 90 miles to Austin” so i guess there’s that, too......

yeah, at the concert he didn't say that but he did say that he knew to have a career in music he had to go to Austin.  "And they had this great little radio station called KUT [yeah no shit, back in the day] that would play your music if you gave them a record.  So I made a record on my own dime and gave it to them and they played it.  I was driving around Austin in my beat up car and I heard myself on the radio for the first time."   And yeah he told about playing the Cactus Cafe for free.  I have to hand it to the guy.  He knew what he wanted and he worked hard to get it.

1 hour ago, Lou Loomis said:

Enjoy REK.

Don’t get Lovett on any level. There’s a through-line of pussy-assness that makes his music unenjoyable to me. Throwing in enchiladas, corn tortillas and “fittin ta get down on some good ‘ol grits and gravy” (which I saw him and his band chant repeatedly at a live show... douchechills to the utmost) just seems like clumsy pandering.

Eh. He's corny. I find it more endearing than clumsy but to each his own. 

I get it. I'm not a big Beatles guy.

12 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Hope nobody scratched your Prius on the way back into town....jesus christ.....

• Haha 1

Enjoy REK.

said I don't like hippies
And I don't like cornbread
And I don't like much
I said I don't hippies
And I don't like much
But that's okay
Fat babies have no pride

*Should be the unofficial theme song of Surly.....

Enjoy REK.

I enjoy listening to both of them.  I love Lovett's phrasing. 

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

said I don't like hippies
And I don't like much
I said I don't hippies
And I don't like much
But that's okay
Fat babies have no pride

*Should be the unofficial theme song of Surly.....

Look
I understand too little too late
I realize there are things you say and do
You can never take back
But what would you be if you didn't even try?
You have to try
So after a lot of thought
I'd like to reconsider
Please
If it's not too late...

.....Make it a cheeseburger

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1