Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

29 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Wasn't a dead body found in the trash at that gas station while Metcalf was in college - it might have been the 7-11? I wonder if your buddy was working there at the time.

It was the 7-Eleven and it was a decapitated head. The only reason I remember if because one of my asshole friends made a disgusting joke about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Wasn't a dead body found in the trash at that gas station while Metcalf was in college - it might have been the 7-11? I wonder if your buddy was working there at the time.

Yes. I recall that in my time there.

They were asking for it.

46 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It was the 7-Eleven and it was a decapitated head. The only reason I remember if because one of my asshole friends made a disgusting joke about it.

In the 80's? I was around Austin then and vaguely remember something like that, but I might be mixing it up with that poor girl who got murdered on West Campus by some Delt. The murderer was a friend of a friend and we were completely blown away. Are those different events? 

31 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

In the 80's? I was around Austin then and vaguely remember something like that, but I might be mixing it up with that poor girl who got murdered on West Campus by some Delt. The murderer was a friend of a friend and we were completely blown away. Are those different events? 

This thread now has a chance to take an ENORMOUS derail…

• Hook 'Em 1

on my way to pickup my daughter from Track practice, i was listening to a 247 recruiting podcast.. they were talking about Bama heating up on the trail and brought up in state recruiting.

They believe that KJ Lacey won't end up at UT.. and that it feels like Russell is just waiting for his offer from UT and he would flip his commitment from SMU to us quickly.

They seem really high on Russell too, they think he has a chance to become a 5 star when it's all said and done..

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yep. Fortunately not my buddy's corpse. It was right across the Drag from the yogurt shop where those girls got murdered. I can't recall if they ever solved that

39 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

Yep. Fortunately not my buddy's corpse. It was right across the Drag from the yogurt shop where those girls got murdered. I can't recall if they ever solved that

The yogurt shop murders happened on Anderson Lane in 1991.

Edited by cafe society
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

on my way to pickup my daughter from Track practice, i was listening to a 247 recruiting podcast.. they were talking about Bama heating up on the trail and brought up in state recruiting.

They believe that KJ Lacey won't end up at UT.. and that it feels like Russell is just waiting for his offer from UT and he would flip his commitment from SMU to us quickly.

They seem really high on Russell too, they think he has a chance to become a 5 star when it's all said and done..

Some update somewhere a few days ago said that Russell would have no problem being in a 2 QB class with Lacey. 

• Hook 'Em 3

A quick recap of what I've observed on the Keelon Russell situation:

- I first heard Tom Loy (247) mention how he thought it was interesting that Texas was maintaining substantial contact with Russell (far more than "staying in touch"); he wondered whether it was as a fallback in case KJ decommitted, or whether we were trying to get him in a 2 QB class

- A few weeks later, I saw notes from OTF and IT, and then some other 247 guys, referencing the contact and interest

- Here's a note from Hank South ... VERY positive quotes.  And an interest reference to ... apples.

Newly-minted Top100 QB Keelon Russell talks Texas interest

Hank South (247 Sports)

Spoiler

Hank South (247 Sports)

ARLINGTON, Texas — The Longhorns have a quarterback commitment from four-star signal caller KJ Lacey in the class of 2025. The Saraland (Ala.) standout hasn’t completely shut down his own recruitment, though, as he’s still visiting programs like Auburn, Ole Miss, and Alabama. However, that doesn’t mean he’s wavering from UT. The longtime pledge has repeatedly reaffirmed that he’s solid with Texas.

But in a cycle that the QB position is a top five priority (per Horns247’s opinion, at least), Texas has to keep evaluating its options, and potentially even bring in a second guy under center.

That brings us to SMU pledge and recent 247Sports Top100 inductee Keelon Russell out of Duncanville. Texas has been in communication with the 6-foot-3, 175-pounder, who just took home Alpha Dog honors at Under Armour Dallas on Sunday. He’s led the Panthers to consecutive state title wins as a sophomore and junior and is climbing recruiting boards across the country, much to Mustang fans’ dismay.

“It’s very interesting,” Russell told Horns247 of the Longhorns’ communication. “It’s an honor for a coach to take their time out, look at another quarterback when they already got another (quarterback). You’re picking up an apple, you put it back down, you get another apple. It’s a blessing. They said I have a lot of stuff, like character. They want to see me in person a lot. It’s an honor just being to talk to (them) even with them having a commit.”

Russell plans to unofficially visit Austin on April 20 for the spring game. He doesn’t have an offer from the staff yet, but one could be coming.

“It would mean a lot,” he said of a potential offer from Texas. “Just from the standpoint of them having a commit. Me seeing their facilities, seeing it around. It would mean a lot for sure. Building those relationships, getting that experience from them, getting that development. In my head I could be like the next Quinn Ewers or Arch Manning.”

Russell says he grew up a Texas fan.

“Texas was one of the dream schools for sure,” he said. “If I was to stay in Texas I was like oh yeah, I wanna go to UT for sure.”

And having Lacey in the fold already isn’t a detriment to Texas’ chances if the staff decides to press for the Top100 passer.

“I wouldn’t mind it because I love competition,” Russell said. “I’m a competitive dude.”

Russell says he still feels good about SMU at this point, but doesn’t want that impeding on the recruiting process for him.
“I would say I’m very much exploring still,” he said. “Still opened up, getting offers. I wouldn’t just say don’t offer me because I”m locked in. I’m still getting offers, still open for recruitment.

Florida, UCLA, Cal, and Texas A&M are other programs he mentioned he’s interested in. Visits this spring include trips to Ole Miss, Houston, Florida, Texas, and Texas A&M.

- Russell went up from #371 to #63 on 247.

- And reminder ... there's a certain WR on his Duncanville team, that we would be willing to accommodate.

- I think it's clear that Texas thinks well of this guy, and would certainly be in consideration if Lacey left.

- Would they want him as a second QB?  Or do they like him enough to risk losing Lacey?  (Not saying they want to drop Lacey, but do they think of his as being in that category as a replacement?

- Lacey, btw, is saying all the right things, recruiting for us, and visiting Texas.  But I believe he is also visiting the other schools involved - Bama, Auburn ... 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

A quick recap of what I've observed on the Keelon Russell situation:

- I first heard Tom Loy (247) mention how he thought it was interesting that Texas was maintaining substantial contact with Russell (far more than "staying in touch"); he wondered whether it was as a fallback in case KJ decommitted, or whether we were trying to get him in a 2 QB class

- A few weeks later, I saw notes from OTF and IT, and then some other 247 guys, referencing the contact and interest

- Here's a note from Hank South ... VERY positive quotes.  And an interest reference to ... apples.

Hank South (247 Sports)

Hide contents

Hank South (247 Sports)

ARLINGTON, Texas — The Longhorns have a quarterback commitment from four-star signal caller KJ Lacey in the class of 2025. The Saraland (Ala.) standout hasn’t completely shut down his own recruitment, though, as he’s still visiting programs like Auburn, Ole Miss, and Alabama. However, that doesn’t mean he’s wavering from UT. The longtime pledge has repeatedly reaffirmed that he’s solid with Texas.

But in a cycle that the QB position is a top five priority (per Horns247’s opinion, at least), Texas has to keep evaluating its options, and potentially even bring in a second guy under center.

That brings us to SMU pledge and recent 247Sports Top100 inductee Keelon Russell out of Duncanville. Texas has been in communication with the 6-foot-3, 175-pounder, who just took home Alpha Dog honors at Under Armour Dallas on Sunday. He’s led the Panthers to consecutive state title wins as a sophomore and junior and is climbing recruiting boards across the country, much to Mustang fans’ dismay.

“It’s very interesting,” Russell told Horns247 of the Longhorns’ communication. “It’s an honor for a coach to take their time out, look at another quarterback when they already got another (quarterback). You’re picking up an apple, you put it back down, you get another apple. It’s a blessing. They said I have a lot of stuff, like character. They want to see me in person a lot. It’s an honor just being to talk to (them) even with them having a commit.”

Russell plans to unofficially visit Austin on April 20 for the spring game. He doesn’t have an offer from the staff yet, but one could be coming.

“It would mean a lot,” he said of a potential offer from Texas. “Just from the standpoint of them having a commit. Me seeing their facilities, seeing it around. It would mean a lot for sure. Building those relationships, getting that experience from them, getting that development. In my head I could be like the next Quinn Ewers or Arch Manning.”

Russell says he grew up a Texas fan.

“Texas was one of the dream schools for sure,” he said. “If I was to stay in Texas I was like oh yeah, I wanna go to UT for sure.”

And having Lacey in the fold already isn’t a detriment to Texas’ chances if the staff decides to press for the Top100 passer.

“I wouldn’t mind it because I love competition,” Russell said. “I’m a competitive dude.”

Russell says he still feels good about SMU at this point, but doesn’t want that impeding on the recruiting process for him.
“I would say I’m very much exploring still,” he said. “Still opened up, getting offers. I wouldn’t just say don’t offer me because I”m locked in. I’m still getting offers, still open for recruitment.

Florida, UCLA, Cal, and Texas A&M are other programs he mentioned he’s interested in. Visits this spring include trips to Ole Miss, Houston, Florida, Texas, and Texas A&M.

- Russell went up from #371 to #63 on 247.

- And reminder ... there's a certain WR on his Duncanville team, that we would be willing to accommodate.

- I think it's clear that Texas thinks well of this guy, and would certainly be in consideration if Lacey left.

- Would they want him as a second QB?  Or do they like him enough to risk losing Lacey?  (Not saying they want to drop Lacey, but do they think of his as being in that category as a replacement?

- Lacey, btw, is saying all the right things, recruiting for us, and visiting Texas.  But I believe he is also visiting the other schools involved - Bama, Auburn ... 

If he's really that good, I think it makes sense to recruit him. Doesn't really matter what Lacey says. If he's visiting other schools, then they should pursue other QBs that they like.

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

If he's really that good, I think it makes sense to recruit him. Doesn't really matter what Lacey says. If he's visiting other schools, then they should pursue other QBs that they like.

IMO it's a win/win. Sign both if you can. If Lacey bolts, then well I don't think we downgraded. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

This thread now has a chance to take an ENORMOUS derail…

...and I'm here.

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

I am certainly not going to sit here and watch all of you accuse Eric Metcalf of murder. 

My buddy Jeff lived on (I think) the 3rd floor of Jester West. Instead of having a wild west freak-show of a community bathroom, like those of us poor souls on the 8th floor, Jeff's bedroom had a bathroom attached to it. It wasn't just for his room. On the other side of the bathroom was another door that led to another 2-person room. So, 2 rooms shared a bathroom. Still, better than sharing it with an entire floor of drunken animals, many of whom failed out of school, but I digress. One of the guys from the other room (that shared the bathroom with Jeff) was a dude who cut the hair of pretty much every black guy on the football team. He would cut their hair in the bathroom and he was so busy that, quit often, Jeff couldn't use the bathroom attached to his own room. Still it was cool to hang out there. I drank and smoked with a lot of guys on the team. If Eric Metcalf was killing people at Austin convenience stores in the 80s, I would have heard about it. I did hear about a lot of abortions and a couple of stolen cars, but fahk, this was the 80s. 

• Hook 'Em 4

44 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

...and I'm here.

My buddy Jeff lived on (I think) the 3rd floor of Jester West. Instead of having a wild west freak-show of a community bathroom, like those of us poor souls on the 8th floor, Jeff's bedroom had a bathroom attached to it. It wasn't just for his room. On the other side of the bathroom was another door that led to another 2-person room. So, 2 rooms shared a bathroom. Still, better than sharing it with an entire floor of drunken animals, many of whom failed out of school, but I digress. One of the guys from the other room (that shared the bathroom with Jeff) was a dude who cut the hair of pretty much every black guy on the football team. He would cut their hair in the bathroom and he was so busy that, quit often, Jeff couldn't use the bathroom attached to his own room. Still it was cool to hang out there. I drank and smoked with a lot of guys on the team. If Eric Metcalf was killing people at Austin convenience stores in the 80s, I would have heard about it. I did hear about a lot of abortions and a couple of stolen cars, but fahk, this was the 80s. 

Boys being boys

Me likey.

Jordan Davison's reaction to the Tony Alford - to - Michigan news.

From Bama 247.

image.thumb.png.908245d87c99de70783daa28d646b9da.png

image.thumb.png.6622375dd5bc5b697ea134d203ea4642.png

- The OSU mod says Day is not in a hurry to close on the replacement, and that they could end up going through spring without the position filled.

- If that were to happen, they wouldn't have a coach when Davison and some others visit end of March ... 

14 minutes ago, bwub60 said:

Boys being boys

In my efforts to further derail this thread from gravity/humility whatever I offer my 60 year old reflections. Went down to Rainey St with a buddy this pm who fortunately was paying for all way too much food and booze and other stuff that's only OK in Austin. Southwest Fest is going on and I used to have my internal compass set on that. Attended the first one in 95 or 96(?) and ended up at Sholz Garten smoking a hog leg Bob Marley with a friend in the great wide open. Gotta admit I was insufferably paranoid at the time but not so surprised nobody gave a shit especially the police. I graduated from UT in the 80s when the only law was the Golden Rule. Ecstasy was perfectly legal. 
The doorman at any club on 6th Street could sling it in full view of the local popo without any repercussions whatsoever. Developed in the chemistry department at UT the same time frame as it was at UC Berkeley as I understand it but in my defense I was full of drugs at the time. Some things never change

Anywho I guess the point of my old man yelling at clouds rant is that what I consider hipster doofuses were actually welcoming. I was an elected persecutor in southeast TX for 12 years, an assistant DA for 3 counties out that way and a county attorney pro tem when the elected one developed brain cancer God rest his soul. If you've followed my boring trevails I somehow ended up back in the 512 somehow. Like Brer Rabbit used to tell Brer Fox "don't throw me in that briar patch" until Walt Disney censored that shit and last time I checked Uncle Remus, the African American gent at the center of all that controversy was actually the fucking hero

Again I'll discontinue my threadshitting and  just thank the Good Lord above for this blue island in a sea of unreasonably red (no CR intended that it is what it is. Much love to all of you and yours but you're all surly assholes so enjoy hell

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, cmontexas said:

A cop killed those yogurt girls and they covered it up. Justice will likely not be served

Reminds me of my uncle being shot in the head by his best friend, whose dad was the sherif and they ruled it a "suicide". It's bullshit, and my grandmother and great grandmother/grandfather never got justice. He was just 21. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/6/2024 at 12:31 PM, SimkinsMan said:

Was there. There was hope in the air after Garrett Gilbert looked decent in the championship game months before. Then we looked like dogshit against a bad opponent. Rice went 4-8 that year, later giving up an average of 60 points against the likes of Tulsa and Tulane. So it's not like Gilbert was facing a functional defense. 

Bless Sark for rescuing us from a dozen years of ineptitude that began in Reliant Stadium that dark day.

TIL that going 15-40 for 186 yds, 2 TDs and 4 INTs is decent...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

In my efforts to further derail this thread from gravity/humility whatever I offer my 60 year old reflections. Went down to Rainey St with a buddy this pm who fortunately was paying for all way too much food and booze and other stuff that's only OK in Austin. Southwest Fest is going on and I used to have my internal compass set on that. Attended the first one in 95 or 96(?) and ended up at Sholz Garten smoking a hog leg Bob Marley with a friend in the great wide open. Gotta admit I was insufferably paranoid at the time but not so surprised nobody gave a shit especially the police. I graduated from UT in the 80s when the only law was the Golden Rule. Ecstasy was perfectly legal. 
The doorman at any club on 6th Street could sling it in full view of the local popo without any repercussions whatsoever. Developed in the chemistry department at UT the same time frame as it was at UC Berkeley as I understand it but in my defense I was full of drugs at the time. Some things never change

Anywho I guess the point of my old man yelling at clouds rant is that what I consider hipster doofuses were actually welcoming. I was an elected persecutor in southeast TX for 12 years, an assistant DA for 3 counties out that way and a county attorney pro tem when the elected one developed brain cancer God rest his soul. If you've followed my boring trevails I somehow ended up back in the 512 somehow. Like Brer Rabbit used to tell Brer Fox "don't throw me in that briar patch" until Walt Disney censored that shit and last time I checked Uncle Remus, the African American gent at the center of all that controversy was actually the fucking hero

Again I'll discontinue my threadshitting and  just thank the Good Lord above for this blue island in a sea of unreasonably red (no CR intended that it is what it is. Much love to all of you and yours but you're all surly assholes so enjoy hell

image.gif.855b16f6b2a9f89e415ebee2783de607.gif

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Do you maybe have a kid or nephew or something, named danger_snax? You're still too lucid to be him but I can see at a least little resemblance in style

I did enjoy the post, though. Sounds like I showed up at UT few years too late

Edited by campcrunk
  • Hook 'Em 2

I've got a buddy about a decade older than me who attended in the 70s. Plan II and obviously whip smart. Graduated law school with honors here while my not so smart ass was relegated to Lubbock when the powers that be finally detected my dumbassedness.

Anyway I've got friends who attended in the 70s, 80s (me), 90s etc. and they all had fond memories but the 70s absolutely ruled. Best movies, TV and music ever

• Hook 'Em 3

Useful list from 247 - the 31 recruits currently scheduled for OVs, plus a few more who are likely to do so.

*************************************************************************************************************

A look into who Texas has already scheduled for official visits

Jordan Scruggs (247 Sports)

The Texas Longhorns are in the heat of the offseason. 

As the team preps for its first day of spring ball next week, the personnel and recruiting staff have been hard at work for weeks as the Longhorns currently have 31 official visits set with plenty more to be added once we get closer to June. 

For those curious, here’s a positional breakdown of the 31 recruits who’ve already scheduled their official visit with Texas.

QB: 1

RB: 1

WR: 6

TE: 3

OL: 8

DL: 3

EDGE: 2

LB: 3

CB: 3

S: 1

As far as the geographic makeup of the group, 20 hail from Texas, 4 from California, 2 from Florida, 2 from Georgia, 1 from Alabama, 1 from Indiana, and 1 from Tennessee.

*Recruits are separated by weekend and listed in order of their 247Sports ranking. 

June 7-9 weekend (2 visitors)

Fort Bend Marshall three-star cornerback Caleb Chester | No. 126 in Texas

Klein Oak safety Courtland Guillory | currently unranked

June 14-16 weekend (10 visitors)

McKinney four-star linebacker Riley Pettijohn | No. 57 NATL

Katy Jordan four-star wide receiver Andrew Marsh | No. 66 NATL

Shadow Creek four-star cornerback Cobey Sellers | No. 124 NATL

Atlanta (GA) Westlake four-star offensive tackle Juan Gaston | No. 154 NATL

Hitchcock four-star wide receiver Kelshaun Johnson | No. 180 NATL

Lovejoy four-star wide receiver Daylan McCutcheon | No. 207 NATL

Westlake Village (CA) Oaks Christian four-star EDGE Hayden Lowe | No. 226 NATL

Bridgeland four-star offensive tackle Jonte Newman | No. 41 in Texas

Tyler Chapel Hill three-star running back Rickey Stewart | No. 52 in Texas

San Francisco (CA) St. Ignatius Preparatory three-star interior offensive lineman John Mills | No. 39 in California

Melbourne (FL) Eau Gallie three-star defensive lineman Brandon Brown | No. 61 in Florida (Texas commit)

June 21-23 weekend (18 visitors)

Sachse five-star wide receiver Kaliq Lockett | No. 11 NATL

Jacksonville (FL) Mandarin four-star wide receiver Jaime Ffrench | No. 30 NATL

Lewisville four-star offensive tackle Michael Fasusi | No. 38 NATL

Indianapolis (IN) Warren Central four-star EDGE Damien Shanklin | No. 47 NATL

Jasper four-star tight end Kiotti Armstrong | No. 65 NATL

San Clemente (CA) four-star linebacker Matai Tagoa'i | No. 71 NATL

Spring Dekaney four-star tight end Nick Townsend | No. 104 NATL

Dallas Skyline four-star linebacker Elijah Barnes | No. 109 NATL

Calhoun (GA) four-star tight end Emaree Winston | No. 156 NATL (Texas commit)

Saraland (AL) four-star quarterback KJ Lacey | No. 179 NATL (Texas commit)

Nashville (TN) Ensworth four-star defensive lineman Ethan Utley | No. 181 NATL

Santa Ana (CA) Mater Dei four-star wide receiver Marcus Harris | No. 219 NATL

Port Neches-Groves three-star offensive tackle Jackson Christian | No. 60 in Texas

Lufkin three-star defensive lineman Zion Williams | No. 66 in Texas

Dickinson three-star offensive tackle Tyler Thomas | No. 68 in Texas

Fort Bend Hightower three-star cornerback Kade Phillips | No. 89 in Texas

Cedar Hill interior offensive lineman Jordan Coleman | currently unranked

Cedar Hill interior offensive lineman Devin Coleman | currently unranked

Footnotes: It’s incredibly important to give a reminder that it’s currently Mar. 14 and that Texas will add at least a dozen more official visitors to their summer total. 

With that being said, here’s a list of prospects I’m expecting to eventually make it into Austin on an official visit - Jordon Davison, Dakorien Moore, Ty Haywood, Lamont Rogers, Kamauryn Morgan, Lance Jackson, DJ Sanders, Smith Orogbo, Chace Sims, Floyd Guidry, Anthony Williams, Javar Thomas, Dorian Brew, Jonah Williams

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

I've got a buddy about a decade older than me who attended in the 70s. Plan II and obviously whip smart. Graduated law school with honors here while my not so smart ass was relegated to Lubbock when the powers that be finally detected my dumbassedness.

Anyway I've got friends who attended in the 70s, 80s (me), 90s etc. and they all had fond memories but the 70s absolutely ruled. Best movies, TV and music ever

Please go on, and here in this thread. Your fond remembrances make me feel really good.

On 3/13/2024 at 9:53 AM, Bevo said:

Sounds right that it was the head they found at the 7-11, and maybe another body part. It was the wife of a Fort Hood soldier. He murdered her, chopped her up and then threw parts of her in various dumpsters between Killeen and Austin.

A buddy of mine was the guy's commanding officer, so he told me much of the story that never got published, including that they had a hard time pinning evidence on the guy because he did such a detailed job of cleaning up after the murder. Apparently he was scrubbing between floor tiles with a toothbrush, bleaching everything ... the military and civilian police had to pretty much take apart the mobile home the couple had been living in to find where some of the blood had ended up.

Weirdest part of the story for me was that I had been in Austin the day she was found. I was walking by the 7-11 and tossed some trash in that very dumpster. Got back home to Killeen, where I was a reporter, and saw a story about someone who was dumpster diving and found the head. Whoever found her must have done so not long after I walked by.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3