Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I am beginning to pick up some very positive feelings toward him. I think Sark is pretty good at evaluating recruiters.

I think he’s also pretty good at managing employees, making it clear what their tasks are, how he expects them to complete them, and that they’re not done until the task is completed successfully. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Every deployment I would fuck up some plate shawarma so this tracks 

It seems to me like shawarma is theoretically "nature's" perfect nutricious food. Healthy, insanely delicious, packed with lots really good veggies and nutrients. 

That said, as much I love them (and I REALLY do love them. I could seriously eat shawarma for just about every meal, including breakfast), give me a far less "perfectly nutricious" bacon double cheeseburger or a big ass ribeye 9.9 times out of 10. Fried chicken and perfectly cooked BBQ work too. 

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I am beginning to pick up some very positive feelings toward him. I think Sark is pretty good at evaluating recruiters.

I am cautiously optimistic. Obviously, Choice was a grand slam and Nansen might not be quite that good (who is, though?) but I think he was huge hire too. Jackson looks to be pretty damn solid too. In any case, I think Baker is going to be good. Probably (hopefully) very, very good. Brown still being committed and Lance Jackson jumping on board are definitely positive data points.

I just wish D'antre Robinson would have been a little more patient because I think he's going to be a good one. That's on Robinson, not Baker, though. Plus, he has to play for Chip Kelly now. Hard to stay mad a guy who fucked up THAT badly, Bo Davis or not. 

I highly doubt he’d end up back at Texas. He’s not an elite talent at this point, and Sark won’t want to play games here again. He’s being recruited over in this year’s high school class, and they’re not wasting a portal slot on a guy who won’t have big production this season. 

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

I highly doubt he’d end up back at Texas. He’s not an elite talent at this point, and Sark won’t want to play games here again. He’s being recruited over in this year’s high school class, and they’re not wasting a portal slot on a guy who won’t have big production this season. 

It was more hyperbole. I don't think he would even try to cine back to Texas since he burned that bridge, anyway. 

16 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

*Unless of course he’d signed with Texas, in which case he’d be an elite prospect woefully underrated by those Texas hating recruiting services* 

I think he is an elite talent. I also don’t think he’d ever be a candidate to transfer to Texas, but I’m also wrong a lot. 

6 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Brown still being committed and Lance Jackson jumping on board are definitely positive data points.

Brown had his first ever visit recently, positive data point that he stayed committed after Bo left.

Lance Jackson committed 1/21 and Zenitz posted about Texas hiring Baker on 1/25

the fact both have stayed on board is positive for sure, but Baker had less than 0 to do with them jumping on board in the first place

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, NoName said:

Brown had his first ever visit recently, positive data point that he stayed committed after Bo left.

Lance Jackson committed 1/21 and Zenitz posted about Texas hiring Baker on 1/25

the fact both have stayed on board is positive for sure, but Baker had less than 0 to do with them jumping on board in the first place

#TheBakerEffect shun the non believers of Baker.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Stampede

The way this weekend's visitors list is shaping up, April 6 could potentially have more star power in Austin than the Longhorns' April 20 spring game. Of course we're still roughly three weeks out from that, so let's not get ahead of ourselves. But there's no question this Saturday will have some star-studded visitors in attendance on unofficial trips. 

So many, that in this week's edition of The Stampede, both Horns247's Jordan Scruggs and Hank South are breaking down 10 of the most notable names expected on campus this weekend, and the current pulse of each of their recruitments ahead of what will be an extremely busy official visitors season on the Forty Acres. 

The Longhorns currently sit with five pledges in the 2025 cycle, good for the No. 18 class, per the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

Keep in mind, this list has no order in terms of importance. It's simply just 10 of the most notable visitors expected in on Saturday. Also, more names could be added to the list by the time we get there. 

Take a look! 

Not a VIP member of Horns247? Join in on the fun for just $1 for your first month!

Jaime Ffrench (Photo: Clayton Freeman/Florida Times-Union, 247Sports)

Jaime Ffrench, 5-star WR, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin  

The Longhorns have quietly stayed lurking for the five-star wide receiver that was once committed to Alabama. Ffrench is in the same conversation as LSU wide receiver pledge Dakorien Moore in terms of skillset, as well as interest from Texas. The Jacksonville area standout will be in Austin this weekend, and then UT will have him back the final weekend before the summer dead period on an official visit. Tennessee, Ohio State, Miami, and Florida State are some of the other program heavily in the conversation for the nation's No. 16 overall prospect per the 247Sports Composite Rankings. -- Hank South 

Dakorien Moore, 5-star WR, Duncanville — LSU commit

Moore was on campus for the Texas Relays this past weekend but due to NCAA rules he was unable to stop by the football facilities and actually visit Texas. That said, Moore is one of the most anticipated visitors on the list for this upcoming Saturday as the nation's No. 1 wide receiver prospect has long been under the microscope of the Texas faithful. It's well known by now that Moore is down to the four schools of LSU, Ohio State, Oregon, and Texas but as of lately there's been significantly more buzz about the Longhorns and the Ducks more than there's been about the Bayou Bengals. I'd expect Moore to take official visits to all four schools during the month of June with the intention of having his recruitment finalized and over before the start of his senior season in August. Although he'll be expected back on Apr. 20 for the Longhorns spring game and in June for an official visit, this weekend's visit to Texas is still incredibly important as Steve Sarkisian and Chris Jackson look to keep chipping away at the nation's No. 4 overall prospect. –– Jordan Scruggs

Jonah Williams (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)

Jonah Williams, 5-star ATH, Galveston Ball

It'll be Williams first trip to campus during this calendar year with his last time on the Forty Acres being all the way back in July. Williams has a lot of familiarity in Austin with his brother Nick Williams having stayed in the capitol city during the MLB offseason for several years in a row. It's well documented by now that Williams is still heavily considering getting drafted by the MLB directly out of high school, as the baseball element of his recruitment is in large part why Oklahoma started getting a lot of buzz earlier in the spring. The Sooners do an exceptional job of recruiting dual sport athletes (ie Taylor Tatum) and while some may call Oklahoma the leader, sources in the greater Houston area maintain Williams' recruitment is still wide open with Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, and USC being considered as the potential landing spots. –– Jordan Scruggs

Nick Townsend, 4-star ATH/TE, Spring Dekaney 

Texas has one tight end in its class in Georgia native Emaree Winston, but are very clearly working on making it at least two. It's a position of need for the Longhorns in 2025 and Townsend is one of the primary targets. The Dekaney product last visited Austin for Junior Day on Jan. 20, giving the trip rave remarks. Townsend also has an official visit scheduled for Texas on June 21-24. Texas A&M is arguably the Longhorns' top competition in this one. This weekend will serve as an opportunity for UT to get some momentum heading into the summer for the No. 104 overall player in the country, per 247Sports. -- Hank South 

Kaliq Lockett (Photo: Hank South, 247Sports)

Kaliq Lockett, 5-star WR, Sachse

The five-star receiver is high on Texas and vice versa. Lockett is one of a handful of pass catchers that has an opportunity at this point in time to join the Longhorns' 2025 class. The Sachse standout has been in consistent communication with wide receivers coach Chris Jackson

"Going back to me and Coach Jackson's relationship, when he was back in Jacksonville, he was coaching the best of the best at wide receiver," Lockett recently said of what has Texas in the mix. "With him having guys in the wide receiver room like Ryan Wingo, Isaiah Bond, Johntay Cook II, DeAndre Moore Jr.. The list goes on. Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that receiver room and get developed by one of the best receiver coaches in college football."

Ohio State, Texas A&M, USC, LSU, and Florida State are others in the mix. Could UT have the inside track after the weekend? -- Hank South 

Matai Tagoa'i, 4-star LB, San Clemente (Calif.) 

Riley Pettijohn and Elijah Bo Barnes consume much of the conversation when it comes to Texas linebacker targets, but Tagoa'i has quickly ascended UT's board since the arrival of new linebackers coach and co-DC Johnny Nansen. Along with this weekend's visit, the West Coast product will also trek to Austin June 21-23 for an official visit.

"Man, they've been a powerhouse program and truly one of the bluebloods since I was born," Tagoa'i told 247Sports' Blair Angulo of the Longhorns. "They've been consistent and always competing. They have been winning a lot the last few seasons and that's something I know I would want to be a part of."

The 6-foot-4, 190-pounder can play really any of the linebacker spots, making him all the more coveted. USC is currently the 247Sports Crystal Ball favorite. Washington and Utah are also in the conversation. -- Hank South 

KJ Lacey (Photo: Hank South, 247Sports)

KJ Lacey, 4-star QB, Saraland (Ala.) –– Texas commit

After making headlines for showing up at an Auburn visit this past week, Lacey will return to Austin for the Apr. 6 recruiting event after being in Austin less than two weeks ago for the Elite 11 Austin Regional. With so many high profile offensive prospects on campus, it's crucial that Lacey returns to remain solid to his Texas pledge while also helping peer recruit to grow the 2025 class. I've written about it before, but Lacey will continue to say all the right things but this one is far from over. That said, it's important that Steve Sarkisian and AJ Milwee are able to keep getting their QB pledge back on campus as Lacey is scheduled to return on Apr. 20 before coming back again in June for his official visit. –– Jordan Scruggs

DJ Sanders, 4-star DL, Bellville

The top in-state defensive lineman on the board, and in my opinion the top in-state defensive lineman including EDGE prospects, Sanders has been a bit of an enigma to coaches, reporters, and fans alike. The younger cousin of former SMU and NFL receiver Emmanuel Sanders, DJ and his camp have done an exceptional job at keeping a tight lid on the recruitment. While there could be some out-of-state programs that could potentially get in the mix like USC, just about every source you talk to is confident Sanders won't leave state lines and that he'll end up at either Texas or Texas A&M. To continue, almost if not all of those sources lean towards the Aggies when asked to give a prediction on where Sanders will end up. Outside of that info, there isn't a ton that's known about this recruitment. Unless he made it in for a game visit this past fall, the last time he would've been on campus to my knowledge would've been back on Mar. 25, 2023 when Texas hosted dozens of prospects for a practice last spring. It's crucial that Sanders makes it to campus so he can get his first in-person meeting with Kenny Baker on the Texas campus. –– Scruggs

Kelshaun Johnson (Photo: Hank South, 247Sports)

Kelshaun Johnson, WR, Hitchcock

Possibly the fastest prospect on this list, Johnson was originally supposed to be on campus this past weekend for the Texas Relays but after suffering a minor injury several weeks earlier, he decided to play it safe and sit out the relays and instead opted to visit Lubbock with his close friend and teammate in Hitchcock three-star and Texas Tech QB commit Lloyd Jones. With Texas and USC being the programs setting the pace in this recruitment, Horns247 likes Texas to win out as Hank South has already entered in a 247Sports Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns. With four official visits set for Penn State (May 31-June 2), Texas Tech (June 7-9), Texas (June 14-16), and USC (June 21-23) Johnson is intending to announce a decision prior to his senior year but with Texas seeing a lot of Xavier Worthy in Johnson, Horns247 sees a world where the recruitment is over before we get to official visit season. –– Jordan Scruggs

Troy Huhn, 2026 QB, San Marcos (Calif.) Mission Hills 

We have to include at least one 2026 product and we're going with 2026 quarterback Troy Huhn from San Marcos (Calif.) Mission Hills. Texas has been very active in its 2026 quarterback recruiting efforts of late, offering a handful of names. It was around this time last year things got more serious with KJ Lacey, who eventually committed to the Longhorns in early June. Huhn could potentially be on the same trajectory. The 6-foot-4, 205-pounder is expected in Austin this weekend for what will be his third visit to the Forty Acres.

"Coach Sark is the one who offered and I'm very excited about it," Huhn told 247Sports' Greg Biggins in February. "Coach Sark told me I had a great season. He told me I'm going to have a lot of other offers and they don't just throw them out but he loved my film and offered me.

"I like Coach Sark a lot. He's really easy to relate to since he grew up out here in California and played quarterback. I have a good relationship with (quarterbacks) coach (AJ) Milwee as well and looking forward to continuing to build that relationship with them and the rest of the staff."

Huhn is picking up a number of offers and has heavy interest in schools like LSU, Notre Dame, and Ohio State. We'll see where Texas stands after Saturday. -- Hank South 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I think he is an elite talent. I also don’t think he’d ever be a candidate to transfer to Texas, but I’m also wrong a lot. 

He certainly might turn out to be if his mental attributes and drive match his physical gifts. He's a monster.

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

#TheBakerEffect shun the non believers of Baker.

#thebakereffect transcends time and space, impacting recruitments long before and after Baker himself gets involved, engulfing all who would try to deny its universal ferocity like a fever-filled star. 

Kenneth Sims? He came to Texas because of #thebakereffect.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Davison will end up at Texas in the end. He'll be at Texas for the spring game, and he has an official visit for the 21st. Choice will get his man. 

He's asking for a fat NIL pile. If someone else decides to pay the whole thing, we could look elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

He's asking for a fat NIL pile. If someone else decides to pay the whole thing, we could look elsewhere.

Gerry said he didn't know of anyone else off the top of his head OOS, so we may not have a choice but to go with a 1-back class of Ricky Stewart (which is fine since he's underrated and a bad ass), but it would be a disappointment to lose Davison, even if our backfield is a little crowded. 

It would suck to lose him to that shit hole, especially after their long-time coach bolted to UM. 

Just getting Stewart this class wouldn't be bad at all.

We already have Guillory for 26' and the kid from Texas High looks like a 5*.

3 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

The first On3 Fong Bomb has been dropped

He didn't waste time putting some in for aggy either.  Put one in for Denton Ryan OT Marcus Garcia and a 26' DL from Duncanville (doubt that happens).

3 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

The first On3 Fong Bomb has been dropped

So I just spent way too much time going through his highlights from this past year. I am not sure this one is anything to be too broken up about if he does go elsewhere. He has nice vision and is slippery in the hole to pick up extra YAC, but both Clark and Gibson are similar players in terms of skillset. He doesn't jump off the screen as being elite. 

Justin Wells: Big Recruiting Month of April for Texas Football

There’s plenty of priority prospects heading to Austin in April. From some of the nation’s top-rated talent like Dakorien Moore, Chris Henry Jr, Zion Williams, Jordon Davison, and more, let’s go through what looks to be a busy month on the Forty Acres.

April 4

WR Chris Henry Jr., Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – (2026) Ohio State commit: One of the top prospects in the nation and son of former NFL WR Chris Henry, the recent Mater Dei move-in told Inside Texas he’s interested in the Horns. Henry will be in the running for nation’s top wideout in 2026.

April 6

QB KJ Lacey, Saraland (Ala.) – #AllGasNoBrakes: Texas is holding on, but Auburn, Ole Miss, and Alabama are still in hot pursuit of the newly invited Elite 11 quarterback.

QB Troy Huhn, San Marcos (Calif.) Mission Hills – 2026: Here’s everything you need to know on Huhn. His recent trip to Michigan netted an offer from the national champs, then added an Ohio State offer.

RB Jordon Davison, RB, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei – After stops in Ohio State and Michigan, the priority tailback will be back in Austin on Saturday for the Spring scrimmage.

RB Rickey Stewart, Tyler (Texas) Chapel Hill – Texas, Baylor, LSU, and Oklahoma State, probably in that order. He’ll trip to SMU and Baylor in late May, early June. Then Texas for his OV in mid June. Then likely a decision shortly after his officials.

OL Tyler Thomas, Dickinson (Texas)

OL John Mills, San Francisco (Calif.) St. Ignatius College Preparatory

TE Nick Townsend, Spring (Dekaney)

WR Jaime Ffrench, Jacksonville (Fla.) Mandarin – He also has an official visit set Texas for June 21-23. Gotta shoot your shot, coach Chris Jackson.

WR Kelshaun Johnson, Hitchcock (Texas) – The speedy receiver was unable to compete in Austin on Thursday-Friday competing in the Texas Relays due to injury and took a trip to Lubbock instead.

WR Kaliq Lockett, Sachse (Texas) – The Horns continue to look strong here, with USC, Michigan, LSU, and Texas A&M in the hunt.

WR Dakorien Moore, Duncanville (Texas) – LSU commit – As we reported on Saturday, the nation’s top-rated wide receiver will be in Austin for Saturday’s Spring scrimmage. It’ll be the first of two Texas visits in the month of April.

DL Zion Williams, DL, Lufkin (Texas) – The big-time D-line target is headed to Austin on April 6th. This trip looms large for the priority prospect.

DL Bryce Perry-Wright, Buford (Ga.) – 2026

DL Chace Sims, Rosenberg (Texas) Randle

DL Malik Autry, Opelika (Ala.) – Auburn commit

EDGE Smith Orogbo, Houston (Texas) Alief Hastings

LB Elijah “Bo” Barnes, Dallas (Texas) Skyline: Barnes will likely make two Spring visits to Austin.

CB Dorian Brew, Conroe (Texas)

S Kade Phillips, Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Hightower

S Jonah Williams, Galveston (Texas) Ball – This recruitment has some twists and turns, but the Horns have some confidence.

April 9

OT Michael Fasusi, Lewisville (Texas) – The five-star will return to Austin on April 9th, then be back for his OV in late June. He’ll see Georgia on Monday after a weekend unofficial to Texas A&M.

April 11

LB Tyler Atkinson, Grayson (Ga.) – 2026

April 13

QB Will Griffin, Tampa (Fla.) Jesuit – 2026

QB Jared Curtis, Nashville (Tenn.) Christian School – (2026) Georgia commit

TE Kiotti Armstrong, Jasper (Texas)

OT John Turntine, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley – 2026

OL Henry Fenuku, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

OL Felix Ojo, Mansfield (Texas) Lake Ridge – 2026 – He’s hoping for a Texas offer on his first visit.

OL Jackson Christian, Port Neches-Groves (Texas): He’ll be at A&M the week prior.

CB Major Preston, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

CB Caleb Chester, Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Marshall – Him and Courtland Guillory may battle for the last defensive back spot in 2025.

S Faheem Delane, Olney (Md.) Good Counsel- One of the nation’s best safeties just tripped to Ohio State, the perceived leader in his recruitment.

April 18

WR Winston Watkins, Naples (Fla.) First Baptist Academy

April 19

RB James Simon, Shreveport (La.) Calvary Baptist – Heavy LSU lean going through some visits before his summer decision.

April 20 – Spring Game

QB KJ Lacey, Saraland (Ala.) – (#AllGasNoBrakes)

RB Raycine Guillory, Aledo (Texas) (2026) #AllGasNoBrakes *likely

WR Andrew Marsh, Katy (Texas) Jordan  

WR Caleb Cunningham, Ackerman (Miss.) Choctaw County

WR Marcus Harris, Sana Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

WR Jaylen Pile, Southlake (Texas) Parrish Episcopal School – 2026: Holds offers like Penn State, Tennessee, Oregon, and Utah. Took an unofficial to Austin on Friday.

WR Dillon Alfred, Saraland (Ala.)

OL Ty Haywood, Denton (Texas) Ryan

TE Emaree Winston, Calhoun (Ga.) – Texas – maybe

DT Ayden Johnson, Mount Pleasant (Texas) – 2026

LB Riley Pettijohn, McKinney (Texas)

LB Jonathan Cunningham, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley

ATH Michael Terry, San Antonio (Texas) Alamo Heights

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Teryor said:

Expected, oh well

Why was this expected? Because Wiltfong put in a pick? The Texas staff wasn’t expecting it. 

USC is doing the same LSU frontrunning nonsense and showing all of these guys their first looks on NIL. Let’s see how it all works out during this cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Why was this expected? Because Wiltfong put in a pick? The Texas staff wasn’t expecting it. 

USC is doing the same LSU frontrunning nonsense and showing all of these guys their first looks on NIL. Let’s see how it all works out during this cycle. 

I think he actually brought in some quality defensive coaches this cycle who know how to recruit. Similar to Texas, it isn't hard to be successful once you graduate from the land of gross incompetence. It wouldn't surprise me to see USC have a good class. 

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think he actually brought in some quality defensive coaches this cycle who know how to recruit. Similar to Texas, it isn't hard to be successful once you graduate from the land of gross incompetence. It wouldn't surprise me to see USC have a good class. 

Flipside: They're going to have to submit to Lincoln's "the offense always comes first" style of practice and roster management.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Flipside: They're going to have to submit to Lincoln's "the offense always comes first" style of practice and roster management.

I think he has been forced to see the light on that, at least if reports are to be believed.