Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'm not sure where he is on our OL board but Jackson Christian seems like a FOMO commit about to happen according to his visit schedules and stuff according to Bobby/Gerry.

If we end up with Fasusi and Rigers at OT, it'll be interesting to see how the interior shapes out.  Coleman brothers seem they can easily be had (crazy they have no rankings on some services).  Mills seems like a priority, and we'll see in regards to Christian visiting again tomorrow.  Also, the kid from Iowa is visiting for the spring game and a summer OV, so maybe they try to get a feel for him as well.

37 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The guy is an EDGE all the way. How is this a question?

He looks like a legit 5 star at TE..  His coach said they are going to be throwing him the ball because he's such a mismatch.

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Burton, this morning, posted the most bullish article he's ever written in regard to Texas recruiting. It's based on what they know is happening behind the scenes with this class and the lack of concern over the direction of NIL and the program. He's saying it's a top 3 class when all is said and done. For those that are less familiar with all of this, Bobby is more often than not very cautious and never bombastic. It's kind of crazy to see this level of certitude from him. 

It goes back to what I've been saying on here, however. There is a ton of momentum in recruiting, the likes of which we haven't seen since the VY era. 

If Johnson makes the trip this weekend after his track meet, there is a high likelihood that he is doing so in order to commit. 

Another cool thing that isn't getting talked about is that Lance Jackson is under-ranked and should be a 5 star. The services might ultimately get wise enough to him to rank him there, but I doubt it. Doesn't matter. He's a difference maker at the next level according to folks who have seen him lately in workouts and studied his film. He's been hurt and is allegedly having a mediocre year in baseball (by draft prospect standards), so that also helps dim down the prospects of him getting drafted early in the 2025 MLB draft for now.

Don't be surprised if this weekend is used to inform Lacey that they're aiming for two QBs in the class, and then they offer Russell. Lacey goes home and decommits, then Russell commits. Not saying that for sure, but it would get everyone in a decent space without angry sentiments.

spacer.png

35 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

You're a big man to admit that

Well, we make a big deal about trusting the corches and in this instance, I absolutely would. Too many ins and outs and what nots with a sprinkling of what-have-yous.

2 minutes ago, Vermin said:

An out of state QB flirting with other programs when you have a top 100 prospect in your backyard is going to be dicey…you don’t need a PhD in corching to see the danger.

Especially if said in state QB could help land one of the best WR's regardless of classification this past year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm sure these are all revelatory points to the coaching staff (and everyone who's been on this board for the past month)

They have? Because I have a nephew who's a 5'8, 155 .lb RB in Castroville who is an overlooked gem. His nickname is "White Turpentine"  and I just need an address to send some film to.

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

They have? Because I have a nephew who's a 5'8, 155 .lb RB in Castroville who is an overlooked gem. His nickname is "White Turpentine"  and I just need an address to send some film to.

12 John David Crow Drive, College Station, TX 77840

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2024 at 2:34 PM, LCHorn said:

I’ll tell you one other thing they still do-they remind (or don’t have to) the families of African Americans players that they integrated before UT* and African American cultural groups occupy a key part of campus life in way they just don’t at UT.  I don’t think it’s even based on number of students, but it’s a factor for AA families from north Texas.  

*I actually think they officially desegregated around the same time but UT didn’t make much effort to make AA feel welcome and it might just be a historical accident they found a home at OU and they had kind of a first to market advantage.  All of this is far less surprising, to me, than anyone from that community looking at A&M and thinking “this place feels welcoming.”

Eeeeeehhhhh,…would it shock you to learn that the idea that OU was advanced and enlightened on race relations, much more than Texas, is largely a myth? Promoted by OU (with all of the SWC schools ready to jump in and bash Texas)?

When most schools integrated, there was a usual pattern. They get their first African American recruit, and another or two the next year, and increasingly more, the trending generally up. 

OU integrated with Prentice Gauntt, in the mid ‘50s. In the early ‘60s, they resegregated for the same reason they integrated- they felt it made their team better. They thought they were losing recruits from Texas, so they stopped recruiting African Americans for a few years. They started up again as the SWC integrated. 

Texas? It was the first school in the SWC to integrate athletics, starting in track. Note- the AD who made that decision was one Darrell Royal, and he was trying to integrate football, too. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, statsman said:

Eeeeeehhhhh,…would it shock you to learn that the idea that OU was advanced and enlightened on race relations, much more than Texas, is largely a myth?

I’m wasn’t trying to recount the history, however accurately you might have described it.  What matters is the perception amongst some African American families that OU opened a door closed to them in Austin, and UT still needs to overcome that perception 50 years later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I’m wasn’t trying to recount the history, however accurately you might have described it.  What matters is the perception amongst some African American families that OU opened a door closed to them in Austin, and UT still needs to overcome that perception 50 years later. 

Sure. But, the reason why the perception lasts is that OU and others gleefully repeat it, and Longhorns sorrowfully admit that our forebears fell short and share our regret. The truth is-OU may have been a little better in some areas, and worse in others, and if Texas needs to apologize to anyone it sure isn’t the Sooners. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You have to be brain dead to think recruits give a shit about the 1960s. Georgia and Alabama typically win the recruiting title.

OU recruits well because of their historical record of success and proximity to Texas talent. Period.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, statsman said:

Sure. But, the reason why the perception lasts is that OU and others gleefully repeat it, and Longhorns sorrowfully admit that our forebears fell short and share our regret. The truth is-OU may have been a little better in some areas, and worse in others, and if Texas needs to apologize to anyone it sure isn’t the Sooners. 

The 1956 USC vs. Texas game made Texas a much more visible national flashpoint for integration issues. 

https://www.keranews.org/2018-09-14/in-1956-ut-football-didnt-want-to-desegregate-so-this-usc-fullback-did-it-for-them

38 minutes ago, Vermin said:

You have to be brain dead to think recruits give a shit about the 1960s. Georgia and Alabama typically win the recruiting title.

No one has claimed that.  They do care about what their parents or grandparents might think, however, and if Texas or OU is offering the same benefit in NIL dollars and mom feels better about OU, then it’s not simply a matter of historical success.

Let’s not forget that Baylor has signed lots of guys that could play at Texas for no better reason than their parents perception a Baptist school would be a better place for their boy to matriculate, regardless of their terrible reputation for hiding rape and murder elsewhere.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I'm sure we'll eventually learn more, but it certainly appears like Brooks is leveraging Texas' NIL and brand prowess to get what he wants from elsewhere. That's how I'm interpreting comments from folks I trust. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I'm sure we'll eventually learn more, but it certainly appears like Brooks is leveraging Texas' NIL and brand prowess to get what he wants from elsewhere. That's how I'm interpreting comments from folks I trust. 

So he wants to go to the home-state school, but Iowa is poor as fuck, so he's threatening to go to somewhere with a hefty NIL budget - Texas, USC, Tenn, Georgia, Colorado (surprised Aggy isn't on the list) - hoping to get enough bids to make Iowa pony up more.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Kid's felt like an LSU lock all process. Interesting. 

LSU surprised a lot of people and took a RB from Alabama last week. Plus the Cali RB is trending Ohio State cause he wants a massive NIL. 

perfect storm fir Texas to pivot to Simon

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

LSU surprised a lot of people and took a RB from Alabama last week. Plus the Cali RB is trending Ohio State cause he wants a massive NIL. 

perfect storm fir Texas to pivot to Simon

Ohio State going big on Davison is like an NFL team trading up into the first round to draft a TB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I watched his HUDL highlights. I was not overwhelmed. He looks good, but no better than many other RBs out there.  I couldn't find a 100m time for him but his best 200m time is 24.20. 

Woof that’s a really bad time, but I watched his highlights and he’s slippery, seeks out contact and he’s got nice balance. 

Edited by utfan87

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I watched his HUDL highlights. I was not overwhelmed. He looks good, but no better than many other RBs out there.  I couldn't find a 100m time for him but his best 200m time is 24.20. 

I get what you’re saying. He’s been quite productive, but his running style seems to have a lot of unnecessary juking. 

13 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I ran a faster time in Junior High, and I ain't no CTJ.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1