no.2 overall recruit in the nation decommits from Florida State to go play for Coach Prime at Jackson State

shadow_operative

10 minutes ago, naija said:

Actually, several Black students do exactly this for academics when it comes to undergrad and it ends up working just fine for them. Xavier much? Maybe you should take a look at some of the places premier med and law schools get their Black students from before spouting off. You really have no concept of what a HBCU education means, and you are just spouting off ignorance. It is possible to get an excellent education from some, not the blanket subpar education you think HBCU automatically equates.

I hear you can even go to a HBCU and be Vice-President these days. Probably untrue though.

We really need to see some investment in these schools. Look at Mississippi as an example...

Endowment:

Ole Miss: $775M

Mississippi State: $700M

Southern Miss: $300M

Jackson State: $60M

Alcorn State: $20M

Mississippi Valley State: $2.7M (!!!)

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, naija said:

Yup. I don’t think we even understand the scale yet of what NIL means (good or bad). Brady is using NIL as part of his brand launch.

Hopefully Brady just targets talent across the board for his brand and doesn't go "Wolverines!!!" with this stuff.

Hopefully Brady just targets talent across the board for his brand and doesn't go "Wolverines!!!" with this stuff.

ha. He’s got to give back some to his alma mater. Just look at Deion and FSU. He has the Michigan QB and a Tennis player signed. But the others are kinda spread out.

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

We really need to see some investment in these schools. Look at Mississippi as an example...

Endowment:

Something's being said here about blacks and being endowed, right? 

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Endowment:

It is embarrassing how little we contribute to HBCU schools considering their historical importance to our country. Even when they get money it is a drop in the bucket to what they deserve.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Brady is just looking for guys willing to undergo a brain swap once his body gives out so he can play forever.

I’m willing to do a body swap with him. He gets my noodle arm and I get to fuck his wife. Seems like an even trade. 

I like this commitment. I like that small schools can sometimes compete for high end players, I’m intrigued by Prime Time as a coach, but mostly, Fuck Florida State!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i would love to hear the people in this thread try and make the same argument when it comes to academics. Why go to McCombs School of Business when you could just go to Jackson State? Why go to Rice to be an engineer when you could go to Jackson State? Why go to Harvard Law when you could just go to Jackson State? if you're good at what you do at 18 years old then it's all the same anyway. you don't need anymore training. the top hospitals and law firms will find you no matter where you go! yeah, that's the ticket!

That’s a dumb comparison, but if you are at the top of your field you will likely succeed no matter where you go to college. This isn’t an average joe, it’s the #1 ish HS recruit in the country. If the best hacker at 18 goes to shithole state, he’ll probably be fine post college. My degree is from a college that doesn’t even exist any more and I run a multi-state firm that is in the top .2% nationally size wise.

No one is saying those things don’t make a difference, what everyone is telling you is that the guys that succeed will succeed no matter where they go and that J-State versus FSU isn’t as big a gap as you think. Your comparison back to 2008 doesn’t matter, neither look the same as they did in 2008.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, naija said:

Actually, several Black students do exactly this for academics when it comes to undergrad and it ends up working just fine for them. Xavier much? Maybe you should take a look at some of the places premier med and law schools get their Black students from before spouting off. You really have no concept of what a HBCU education means, and you are just spouting off ignorance. It is possible to get an excellent education from some, not the blanket subpar education you think HBCU automatically equates.

I hear you can even go to a HBCU and be Vice-President these days. Probably untrue though.

Yep,  the % of black doctors, lawyers, PhDs, and an assortment of other professions who attended HBCUs for undergrad far outpaces that of Blacks who attended predominantly white institutions for undergrad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naija said:

this post does not even address the issue at hand, but congrats on winning martyr of the year. the HBCU's you're naming are not the academic equivalent to Jackson State athletics. if they were then you'd have a point, but they aren't, so you don't. going to Xavier for school is not the equivalent of going to Jackson State for football. 

also, seriously, stop making this out to be some attack on HBCU's when it clearly isn't. 

Also also- it's hilarious how many people have pos repped that post. The groupthink is out in full force.

Edited by shadow_operative

26 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yep,  the % of black doctors, lawyers, PhDs, and an assortment of other professions who attended HBCUs for undergrad far outpaces that of Blacks who attended predominantly white institutions for undergrad.

HELLO. this empirically proves that naija isn't making the point he thinks he's making. he (and you) are pointing at small schools/HBCU's with really really good track records of pumping out doctors and lawyers, something that Jackson State DOES NOT HAVE when it comes to pumping out NFL football players. it's a terrible analogy. 

if naija wants to come in and show me a bunch of examples of young, highly gifted, NHS type scholars pursuing degrees in science, medicine, engineering, etc, who all have turned down Texas, Harvard, Berkeley, etc so that they could instead pursue their education at Nazarene Bible College, then sure, i'm all ears.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

HELLO. this empirically proves that naija isn't making the point he thinks he's making. he (and you) are pointing at small schools/HBCU's with really really good track records of pumping out doctors and lawyers, something that Jackson State DOES NOT HAVE when it comes to pumping out NFL football players. it's a terrible analogy. 

How many FlaState top10 picks were 3*'s when they got there?  That will address your development of talent piece.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Man after this post, I don’t think you even understand the point you are attempting to make, let alone being able to comprehend what people are trying to convey to you in this debate.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

so you're saying this kid is ready for the NFL today? he doesn't need anymore development. good to know. 👌🏼 

Thats why he's going to be under the tutelage (that means Deion will be his coach) of Coach Sanders, one of the best CB's in NFL history. His choice to got there isn't necessarily a 4 year decision. You seem to forget kids can transfer whenever they want now.

several of you have said this or equivalent, and no, i don't have kids (you're welcome). but i do mentor a high-major D-1 athlete, and i did help him choose which college he would attend, and  never once considered any I-AA schools or HBCU's, because that would not have been best for his development. In the end my guy chose to go to a blue blood school with a HC who has an exemplary pedigree as both a coach and a talent developer. AAMOF, this kid specifically ruled out Texas because Shaka Smart was subpar. this line of thinking made sense then, and it still makes perfect sense right now. if you want to be a high achiever in your field, you go to the place that will most help you maximize your potential. 

None of that is at all like having a kid

So i am supposed to believe Jalen Ramsey wouldn't be great if he had not chosen FSU/ P5 school?  LOLz.

Florida State Top 15 NFL picks in the past 20 years

2016 Jalen Ramsey, CB, 5* ; picked 5th by Jags

2015 Jameis Winston, QB, 5*    ; picked 1st overall by Bucs

2007 Lawrence Timmons, LB, 4*  ; picked 15th by Steelers

2006 Ernie Sims, ILB, 5* Top rated recruit in country; picked 9th by the Lions

2006 Kameron Wimbley, DE, 4*   ; picked 13th by Browns

2006 Brodrick Buntley, DT, 4*   ; picked 14th by Eagles

Other 1st Round picks:

2019 Brian Burns, 4*   ; picked 16th by Panthers

2018 Derwin James, 5*  : picked 17th by Chargers

2015 Cameron Erving, OL, 3*   ; picked 19th by Cleveland

2014 Kelvin Benjamin, WR, 4*   ; picked 28th by Panthers

2013 EJ Manuel, QB,  4*  :picked 16th by Bills

2013 Bjoern Werner, DE, 3*   ; picked 24th by Colts

2013 Xavier Rhodes, CB, 3*   ; picked 25 by Vikings

2011 Christian Ponder, QB, 3*  ;picked 12th by Vikings

2010 Patrick Robinson, CB,  4*  ; picked 32 by Saints

2006 Antonio Cromartie, CB, 4*   ; picked 19th by Chargers

2005 Travis Johnson, DT, 5*  ; picked 16th by Texans

2005 Alex Barron OT, 4*; picked 19th by Rams

2002 Javon Walker, WR, top 5 Juco WR  ; picked 20th by Packers

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Quinn Ewers is dumb for committing to Texas. Should have gone to McNeese State or Abilene Christian. I mean what's the difference?

Considering how poorly Texas has developed the huge talent (at least based on high school expectations) pool they've had over the last ten years, he might be better off at one of those places.  Remind me again how many UT players were drafted by the NFL this year?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

It is embarrassing how little we contribute to HBCU schools considering their historical importance to our country. Even when they get money it is a drop in the bucket to what they deserve.

Top 10 HBCU endowments total just over 2B combined.

For comparison that's less than the endowment of Grinnell college in Iowa.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Man after this post, I don’t think you even understand the point you are attempting to make, let alone being able to comprehend what people are trying to convey to you in this debate.

Yeah it's analogous to some kids choosing a smaller private school like Austin college or Trinity University over UT or A&M.  They seek the smaller, more nurturing environment.  There's a lot of distractions at a big program like UT (which has probably been a factor with our struggles over the last decade). Even during the 90s and early 2000s the university of Miami's facilities were hot garbage compared to other schools, still despite this fact, the gritty, totally lacking environment appealed to a lot of talented players.  Something about Jackson St obviously appeals to this kid and the idea that it's a career stunting decision is laughable.  With that rationale some might argue that prior to the last 2 or 3 years, being a bluechip Olinemen and choosing to go to UT was a career stunting decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Stephan Curry attended to Davidson, a small private school in NC. part of the A10 conference.  just imagine how much better he would have been had he gone the P5 route.

Of course the big athlete from the small school is the outlier, but that has a lot more to do with most sought after athletes obviously opt for P5 programs. If you're good you're gonna be seen by the pro scouts who are always looking out for those less known, less televised, but still skilled athletes.  

How much better does a kid who goes to a P5 program, but sits on the bench get potentially better playing in a smaller conf. where they get lots of playing time, and the ability to hone their skills, and can be seen by scouts on a field or court instead of a sideline ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

He doesn't care about the point others are trying to make.

When Derka says something that nobody agrees with he goes into a shell and becomes frustrated.

It's basically this for a day or so.

what-the-hell-what-the-hell-is-wrong-wit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, F250 said:

He doesn't care about the point others are trying to make.

When Derka says something that nobody agrees with he goes into a shell and becomes frustrated.

It's basically this for a day or so.

what-the-hell-what-the-hell-is-wrong-wit

Or he reports you to a moderator. I think I have a friend who had this happen to him...  just recently by the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Top 10 HBCU endowments total just over 2B combined.

For comparison that's less than the endowment of Grinnell college in Iowa.

Black grads not tipping???

38 minutes ago, Underdog said:

IIRC, Sports Illustrated had a really good piece many moons back about the HBCUs and the trials and tribulations they have to deal with on an annual basis for their sports programs, want to say the article featured Prairie View.   

About the time of the expose on Doug Williams and Grambling too, IIRC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah it's analogous to some kids choosing a smaller private school like Austin college or Trinity University over UT or A&M.  They seek the smaller, more nurturing environment.  There's a lot of distractions at a big program like UT (which has probably been a factor with our struggles over the last decade). Even during the 90s and early 2000s the university of Miami's facilities were hot garbage compared to other schools, still despite this fact, the gritty, totally lacking environment appealed to a lot of talented players.  Something about Jackson St obviously appeals to this kid and the idea that it's a career stunting decision is laughable.  With that rationale some might argue that prior to the last 2 or 3 years, being a bluechip Olinemen and choosing to go to UT was a career stunting decision. 

He's not going there for the nurturing environment. He's going there because money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

And you know this as fact because????

I have common sense dude. The guy is getting paid. Maybe not "officially" yet, but the guy is gonna get paid. And i don't wanna hear any crap about Deion denying it. The fact that he would even speak about it as an employee of the school is questionable imo. NIL deals have nothing to do with him or the school.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I really don't understand how the fact that he's getting paid even matters in the age of NIL. Was he not going to be paid at Florida St? Or Georgia? Or any of the other schools who were chasing after him?  You need to retrofit your excuse to something that's more applicable for 2021. This isn't 1990 or even 2019. He's getting paid means jackshit nowadays. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I really don't understand how the fact that he's getting paid even matters in the age of NIL. Was he not going to be paid at Florida St? Or Georgia? Or any of the other schools who were chasing after him?  You need to retrofit your excuse to something that's more applicable for 2021. This isn't 1990 or even 2019. He's getting paid means jackshit nowadays. 

Deal at Florida St was gonna be worth $500k, this one is rumored to be over a mil. So again, he's not doing this because of some desire to be corched by the best gosh durn DB to ever play the game, or because he loves the envirnment. It's about money. 

And actually the more i think about it good on him for taking some guaranteed money when it was offered. Not a dumb decision when you think of it that way.

Edited by Pam Cummings

I think we all can agree that when you are an amazing talent, it matters not a whit if you go to JSU or FSU or anywhere else. Barring injury and/or stupidity off the field, you will get to the next level. If you are a second-tier talent or worse, I agree with the argument that you need to be playing (growing, and progressing, and getting reps) against the best out there to get you sharpened and capable and/or attractive to others at the next level.

Knowing the above, and if we buy this kid is the amazing talent that his ranking suggests, I don't agree with the take that this is stupid and throwing away an opportunity.

The generous reading of the situation is that this amazing talent is being intentional and thoughtful about how to use his skills to invest in his community and give back to the culture/race that has supported and invested in him and that, like a Southwest Airline flyer, he could have chosen anywhere but he chose JSU.

The more cynical reading is that this kid is building a personal brand of being an intentional and thoughtful player who is using his skills to try and champion for an HBCU because ESG/DEI is so hot right now and everyone wants to align and invest in that space and this guy is going to set himself up for some great off-the-field opportunities above and beyond the 7 figure payday he will be getting from going to JSU (which again, doesn't affect his NFL-future +/- 10% due to his talent).

Oh and by the way, the guy is a DB who will be coached and mentored by one of the greatest DB's ever. Who also will be highly celebrated for this recruiting coup and will have his choice of a P5 job soon and will remember the kid who trusted him and bought into his vision and message when the rest of the (white) world thought he was crazy. 

But most of all, this is the lowest risk and highest reward (all the social capital plus the 7 figure pay day) because the transfer portal exists. The kid can show up, think the cafeteria food sucks and if the NIL money falls through or they start playing with his money, he can go to Bama the next day. Or if somehow Derka is right and over time the team or competition is hurting his draft stock and rankings or whatever, he can leave post-haste. Low risk to do this.

Edited by MonkeyCigarette

30 minutes ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

I think we all can agree that when you are an amazing talent, it matters not a whit if you go to JSU or FSU or anywhere else.

i could not possibly disagree with you more, so no, i don't think we can all agree on that. highly rated prospects flame out all of the time, every single year. the recruiting rankings that come out when guys are actually seniors end up being completely rearranged when viewed again 3-4 years later. every time. being a highly rated recruit doesn't mean jack shit if you don't continue to improve at your craft. major d-1 programs have long, successful track records of developing talent and sending said talent to the next level where they can earn a real living. 1-AA schools do not have such a track record when it comes to developing players. not even remotely close. at all. it's an absolutely stark contrast in this respect. if where you go to college as a top prospect didn't matter then the Bamas and Clemsons and LSUs and Texas's of the world wouldn't dominate recruiting. but they do. for a reason. 

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i could not possibly disagree with you more, so no, i don't think we can all agree on that. highly rated prospects flame out all of the time, every single year. the recruiting rankings that come out when guys are actually seniors end up being completely rearranged when viewed again 3-4 years later. every time. being a highly rated recruit doesn't mean jack shit if you don't continue to improve at your craft. major d-1 programs have long, successful track records of developing talent and sending said talent to the next level where they can earn a real living. 1-AA schools do not have such a track record when it comes to developing players. not even remotely close. at all. it's an absolutely stark contrast in this respect. if where you go to college as a top prospect didn't matter then the Bamas and Clemsons and LSUs and Texas's of the world wouldn't dominate recruiting. but they do. for a reason. 

I didn't say highly-rated-but-still-not-sure-if-amazing talent, which I agree is a coin flip at best sometimes. I said "amazing talent". Amazing talent does not need the Bama, Clemson, LSU's to provide it bonafides and/or prepare for the next level.

That said, let's pretend this guy isn't an amazing talent after all. There is nothing stopping him from blaming his mediocrity on JSU facilities or schedule or talent or coaching and just entering the portal and joining a P5 where he can hone his skills and get NFL-ready (with a pro-rated amount of the $1.5mm in his bank account). Again, low risk, high reward.

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Stephan Curry attended to Davidson, a small private school in NC. part of the A10 conference.  just imagine how much better he would have been had he gone the P5 route.

Of course the big athlete from the small school is the outlier, but that has a lot more to do with most sought after athletes obviously opt for P5 programs. If you're good you're gonna be seen by the pro scouts who are always looking out for those less known, less televised, but still skilled athletes.  

How much better does a kid who goes to a P5 program, but sits on the bench get potentially better playing in a smaller conf. where they get lots of playing time, and the ability to hone their skills, and can be seen by scouts on a field or court instead of a sideline ?

Immediate and steady playing time good

Dominating your opponents good

Reduced wear and tear good

Don't get to compete for top level championship? Shucks

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

If he is going to flame out, then he is going to flame out anywhere he goes. Actually, his chances of flaming out at J-State may be less than a P5 because of expectations versus the reality of competition. It’s easier to look like the man at an inferior school based on the competition you are going against in your examples. He already has the recognition, so scouts are already going to be biased in his favor on performance and it shouldn’t take much for them to get confirmation bias.

Either way, sometimes it’s a useful exercise to consider why most everyone else is on the other side of the fence in a discussion.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Brew said:

If he is going to flame out, then he is going to flame out anywhere he goes.

i'm at a loss that you can even believe the things you type. as if the coaching he gets and the competition he faces has zero bearing at all on his growth as a player. just an indefensible view.

you know what's a good exercise? questioning the predominant opinion. "we all think the same thing, therefore it's right" has never been a solid argument. the idea that a kid will get the same football growth at a 1-AA school as he would at a major D-1 school is on its face preposterous. i could not give a flying fuck how many of you can't see that. 

Greg Davis was a terrible play caller, but he was objectively a very good QBs coach. That's not up for debate. Vince Young, the guy who most of us consider to be the best college QB ever, if not the best *player* ever, improved tremendously under GD's tutelage, and he has said so himself many, many times. are you gonna sit here and tell me that VY becomes VY if he goes to Jackson State? seriously? y'all are all seriously going to sit here and take the stance that coaching and competition has zero effect on the growth of a high school kid. wow. just wow. pat yourselves on the fucking back. congrats. you all believe the same completely asinine idea. don't confuse being stupid and illogical in large numbers with being correct.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm at a loss that you can even believe the things you type. as if the coaching he gets and the competition he faces has zero bearing at all on his growth as a player. just an indefensible view.

you know what's a good exercise? questioning the predominant opinion. "we all think the same thing, therefore it's right" has never been a solid argument. the idea that a kid will get the same football growth at a 1-AA school as he would at a major D-1 school is on its face preposterous. i could not give a flying fuck how many of you can't see that. 

Again, what if this guy doesn't need the growth of a D-1 school to achieve his goals because he is extremely talented and will have a Neon Deion co-sign? Then is it okay to take $1.5mm to get drafted #7 overall instead of #4?

I agree that if he is not a turn-key, near-NFL ready type talent whose talent, measurables and numbers won't get him picked in the first round and he's going to have to work on his craft and make a name for himself, then it would be wise to join a different program. 

We don't know this kids talent to any empirical measure right now and it seems like he and his folks are either sufficiently confident and betting on him being the man, or they are betting that he can take the $1.5mm and transfer if they've miscalculated, or both.

At the end of the day the liberal transfer portal is the linchpin that makes this calculated risk/investment work; he can pull the ripcord at the first sign of damage to his future viability and earnability (which may or may not hurt his personal brand, albeit) and in the short term he's a) made national headline news in an interesting/positive way b) he's gotten a lot of respect and attention from the culture who will be following him and rooting for him and c) he's a millionaire in the short term (Time value of money, baby) with little risk to whatever millions he could make in the future because, again, if JSU proves to be something that tarnishes his stock he can easily transfer to a place that could rehab it.