Sanford and Son

F250

I recently watched some episodes of Sanford and Son after never really watched the show other than a few reruns as a kid. LOL This show is hilarious. Redd Foxx kills it was his expressions.

There was an episode where Lamont was rehearsing a scene from Othello and he was pretending to strangle a white actress and without context Fred sees what's happening. His reaction was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at that scene.

A lot of content probably wouldn't fly today like the Puerto Rican neighbor with a goat or the gay jokes. What was surprising was Lamont's friend talking about going to the movies to watch Skin Flicks. That was a little weird but probably not unusual for that time.

I'll probably start working my way through the series.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, F250 said:

I recently watched some episodes of Sanford and Son after never really watched the show other than a few reruns as a kid. LOL This show is hilarious. Redd Foxx kills it was his expressions.

There was an episode where Lamont was rehearsing a scene from Othello and he was pretending to strangle a white actress and without context Fred sees what's happening. His reaction was hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing at that scene.

A lot of content probably wouldn't fly today like the Puerto Rican neighbor with a goat or the gay jokes. What was surprising was Lamont's friend talking about going to the movies to watch Skin Flicks. That was a little weird but probably not unusual for that time.

Gregory Sierra .. also had a role on Barney Miller .. died earlier this year.

I was a kid when series first ran and didn't get into it much, but one episode stayed with me for over 40 years.  Lamont brings a latchkey kid home that Fred wants nothing to do with.  What struck me that I recalled over decades was their chicken dinner was made up of backs and necks.  I think the scene before the below Fred says they have three backs and four necks to split for dinner.

The series ran when I was between 3 and 8 so I'm sure some of the humor was above my head. But as a kid it was great watching Fred and Esther fight, and Fred always having the big heart attack. Loved the theme song as well.

What's tough to accept now is that I'm older (52) than Redd Foxx was at the start of Sanford and Son.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I wish I could find a clip to post, but one of the funniest side characters was Melvin, played by Slappy White. He was only in a couple of episodes, but Melvin was hilarious. The bit about why he wondered there weren't black people in Godzilla movies. "They could send Sammy Davis Jr. over there to make one." "Yeah, it could be Godzilla vs. Sammy Davis Jr!" But it was all in the delivery and that whole conversation, just side splitting stuff.

Loved Sanford & Son. Always wanted to try Holey Moley. But as great as it was, apparently they tried a Fred only sequel just called Sanford. Stumbled across it on Amazon the other night. Good God it was bad. Couldn't make it through the first 1/2 of the 1st episode.

On 12/21/2021 at 4:48 PM, F250 said:

How did you not watch that show before now you big dummy?!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Deej said:

The waiter drank most of that pitcher before it got to the table.

Guess that's the only way they could empty it fast enough for Red to throw out that "hey negro come here" joke. 

If nobody has heard this yet it's an interview with Lamont from a decade ago on Dallas radio. Gone down in history as one of the wild interviews from that time on the station.

https://www.theunticket.com/bad-radio-demond-wilson-aka-lamont-sanford-gbl/

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Guess that's the only way they could empty it fast enough for Red to throw out that "hey negro come here" joke. 

If nobody has heard this yet it's an interview with Lamont from a decade ago on Dallas radio. Gone down in history as one of the wild interviews from that time on the station.

https://www.theunticket.com/bad-radio-demond-wilson-aka-lamont-sanford-gbl/

fuck that motherfucker.  I didn't listen, but I hate that prick.

Redd Foxx had a salary dispute with NBC when this show was hot.  They were paying him something like $20,000/week, he wanted twice that.  Fucking "LaMont" did this whole bullshit thing about how "the studio is acting like the master and they think that Redd is the slave". 

I mean, fuck that motherfucker.   How dare he compare somebody making a shit-ton of cash to a fucking SLAVE?   Fuck that motherfucker. 

• 3 weeks later...